Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

If I remember correctly, my sister was told not to wear a bra at all during her radiation (also no deodorant/antiperspirant!).
I think my DW was told no underwire bra and no deodorant/antiperspirant because they have aluminum in them. She just wore a cami top with a flannel shirt on top of that for radiation but hers was in Oct/nov so it wasn't really warm anyway.

I've already made it clear they should take as much as they want PLEASE to get clear margins. I don't care what I end up with afterwards really...as long as what is there now is gone!
That's what I told my DW when she went in, actually she had 3 surgeries in 3 weeks, first was a gallbladder removal, week later the first breast surgery and then another week later another breast surgery. I told her the only place I could hug her was a foot! Everyplace else hurt. LOL

I'm not exactly a "small" woman there and the support I'd need to play will probably be too painful during radiation to wear.
The DW radiation wasn't really that bad for her, turned a little red and a tad swelled by the end but nothing bad thank god.

I'm doing the Dignicap. I am 5 days past my second dose of Taxotere/Cytoxan. I have hair but probably down to about 30%. I had very thick hair to begin wit. I am hoping it stops sooon otherwise the cost and the pain and discomfort will be for nothing :(

Awe, so sorry about your hair. I lost all of my hair and it was really, really hard. I am sending good thoughts that you can keep what you have left. Its tough, but I will say that my hair grew in beautifully and I absolutely LOVE my hair! I loved my hair before chemo, but its even better now!

Yes I plan to avoid the bumpier rides for sure...and that's okay with me. I've been plenty, and will be going back, so I'm okay sitting out this time...I will just be happy to be in the parks.

Sadly I always figured I'd end up here...eventually...in the world of cancer because of such a strong family history of it on both sides. I just thought it would be later in life as I'm the youngest that I know to get it...at least of the relatives I know about. I spoke to my nurse navigator during my initial visit who told me NOT to cancel my trip...but that was when we thought I'd have surgery about a week earlier. At this point I still think I'll be okay to go, just may have to take it a bit easier, and that's okay. This trip was more about relaxing at the resort, doing some park time here and there, and I think we can manage that.

Sorry to read about your new diagnosis. Good luck with going on your planned Disney trip. I went to Disney four weeks after surgery/diagnosis. I have been treated for ovarian and uterine cancer. I was diagnosed with both at the same time. I had a complete hysterectomy and flew to Disney exactly four weeks later. It was not my favorite trip ever, but we had planned it months prior and I really wanted to spend some time with my kids at Disney, because I knew I had a long road in front of me! I took it easy and had a wonderful time under the circumstances. In my case, I had to have another big surgery, since no one was expecting to find cancer from the hysterectomy. So, going to Disney for two weeks helped pass the time while I waited for the next surgery.

Best of luck to you!

Sorry to read about your new diagnosis. Good luck with going on your planned Disney trip. I went to Disney four weeks after surgery/diagnosis. I have been treated for ovarian and uterine cancer. I was diagnosed with both at the same time. I had a complete hysterectomy and flew to Disney exactly four weeks later. It was not my favorite trip ever, but we had planned it months prior and I really wanted to spend some time with my kids at Disney, because I knew I had a long road in front of me! I took it easy and had a wonderful time under the circumstances. In my case, I had to have another big surgery, since no one was expecting to find cancer from the hysterectomy. So, going to Disney for two weeks helped pass the time while I waited for the next surgery.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks and WOW...what a story! I'm also good with taking it easy...thus our stay at Beach Club Villas where I can relax and the kids can enjoy the massive pool there. Really my trip is going to be my time between surgery healing and the next steps...which at minimum will be radiation and who knows what else? Our next trip is planned for August (not Disney...but Disney's Vero Beach) and then again in October (Disney) so we'll see how I am doing by the time we get there. Baby steps.

Well I am done with all the torturous testing. This last test was horrible. The whole radiation onc. dept. has def. changed for the worse around there. I think I used the words what a bunch of (mess )ups- different word) very loudly so the onc. and onc. nurse could here me. The care I received was abysmal at best.

Day 1 - I had to wait 1 hr. and 45 min. just to get a shot. Dh had to go and advocate on my behalf. It was later determined after they blamed me for not calling back soon enough that the onc. did not sign the med. release papers correctly or something like that.

Day 2 - Shot time was less than 45 min. This was suppose to be that way Monday.

Day 3- Went to ask about some blood test that was on my instruction sheet. No one knew anything. Onc. is sitting at his computer behind the desk ignoring me. They say, keep the appt. you have for next tues. I said - what is that for. The nurse said to go over your test results. I said - do you mean to tell me I am having this test today and you are going to make me wait until next tues for the results. I said that is just torturous I said cant the onc. call me. She said he will be at home since your test is so late today. I said cant he just say good or bad, yes or no. He for crying out loud is sitting there ignoring me and then finally relents to call.

The test itself was long and horrible. Pain was searing up my r hip across my skull from ear to ear. They did stop and try to reposition me. Then at the end of the test My r lower spine was seering in pain, this was due to all my back surgeries and laying on the hard plastic table. I was shaking with pain spasms. They wheeled me into the waiting room and I am greeted with dh talking to the rad. onc. on the phone. As predicted the tumor did not take up any of the radiation, so now radiation will not even help me, The only option is surgery and try to cut out what they can, what looks bad etc. The rad. onc. tells dh on the phone. I am cancelling the next appt. because there is nothing I can do to help you, goodbye, gheesh. I felt like my hopeful turned into hopeless,. Oh and I also had a giant stomach ache after that that then resulted in 3 rounds of explosive diarrhea, (Thinking of you Mrs. Incredible too).

So now on tues. I am going back to the endo and we will talk surgeons. I feel like this will be the surgeon wheel of fortune, spin and see who comes up??? My head is spinning and I dont have a good plan yet. Say a prayer.

GAGWTA

LMP, sorry to here about the rad. onc. visit. Sending you recovery hugs!!! The worst thing docs can say to you is "I can't help you".

I hope your Tues. visit goes better than expected. :hug:

Also sorry to read your report luvmarypoppins...can't imagine how frustrating that was for you at a time when you need all the support you can get. I'll be thinking of you as you continue to look for some answers.

Well I am done with all the torturous testing. This last test was horrible. The whole radiation onc. dept. has def. changed for the worse around there. I think I used the words what a bunch of (mess )ups- different word) very loudly so the onc. and onc. nurse could here me. The care I received was abysmal at best.

Day 1 - I had to wait 1 hr. and 45 min. just to get a shot. Dh had to go and advocate on my behalf. It was later determined after they blamed me for not calling back soon enough that the onc. did not sign the med. release papers correctly or something like that.

Day 2 - Shot time was less than 45 min. This was suppose to be that way Monday.

Day 3- Went to ask about some blood test that was on my instruction sheet. No one knew anything. Onc. is sitting at his computer behind the desk ignoring me. They say, keep the appt. you have for next tues. I said - what is that for. The nurse said to go over your test results. I said - do you mean to tell me I am having this test today and you are going to make me wait until next tues for the results. I said that is just torturous I said cant the onc. call me. She said he will be at home since your test is so late today. I said cant he just say good or bad, yes or no. He for crying out loud is sitting there ignoring me and then finally relents to call.

The test itself was long and horrible. Pain was searing up my r hip across my skull from ear to ear. They did stop and try to reposition me. Then at the end of the test My r lower spine was seering in pain, this was due to all my back surgeries and laying on the hard plastic table. I was shaking with pain spasms. They wheeled me into the waiting room and I am greeted with dh talking to the rad. onc. on the phone. As predicted the tumor did not take up any of the radiation, so now radiation will not even help me, The only option is surgery and try to cut out what they can, what looks bad etc. The rad. onc. tells dh on the phone. I am cancelling the next appt. because there is nothing I can do to help you, goodbye, gheesh. I felt like my hopeful turned into hopeless,. Oh and I also had a giant stomach ache after that that then resulted in 3 rounds of explosive diarrhea, (Thinking of you Mrs. Incredible too).

So now on tues. I am going back to the endo and we will talk surgeons. I feel like this will be the surgeon wheel of fortune, spin and see who comes up??? My head is spinning and I dont have a good plan yet. Say a prayer.

GAGWTA

My thoughts are with you today, LMP. I am sorry that radiation is not an option. I hope you can find the right surgeon in your discussion with your endo today.

Laurie - Hi stranger!! I should text you sometime!! You are missed sista. We need to meet in the lobby sometime!!

Well I am back from the ever enlightening endo.

She answered all the questions I really wanted to ask the rad. onc. She said one good thing is that my pet scan is not lighting up brightly so it a sign that the tumor is not active raging like it was the first time surgery. But its there and they see it. She said she has a pt. who is just the opposite of me, bad blood and they cant find it on the pet scan gheesh.

She said in the future I will have to have pet/ct scan and maybe ct. I will ask about the radiation exposure of all this. She wants one 6 months post op. again.

I shared with her my horrid rad. onc. experience.

Then we talked surgeons. It was a god wink moment again sistas. I had one in mind who got great reviews, closest to us an hour away etc. So I questioned her about him. She said he had a nice personality but was not skilled enough for me, sigh. Then I ask her about Dr. P. I said do you know him. He operated on dh friend, it was not cancer though. Dh friend said he loved the guy etc. Well she says - do I know Dr. P, why he used to work here. I would trust Dr.P with my whole family. He is the best surgeon around. He can handle and do exactly what you need. He has a great personality you will love.

So I told her I read that they want all surgical reports, test discs etc. She starts printing out stuff for me and then she says, hmm this is strange and troubling. I cant find Dr. Who almost killed me surgical reports on me, she only found Dr. Who saved my lifes surgical report and all surgeies were done in less than a 24 hour period. I said, well guess what you are probably never going to find it. Its probably put into the sea of forgetfulness. Scrubbed clean, ie no lawsuit material. I feel like this is a mystery book or movie. That kind of gave me the chills thinking what steps Dr. Almost killed me would take so he could cover his butt.

So I did some more research on Dr. P. He is at NYU Langone. Best place for dh to drive to in the city. Around the corner from his bff mom's condo. He takes our ins. So I will call him tomm. I am getting too overwhelmed today. So on to the next step in the journey. My head spins and keep praying. I need them for sure.

GAGWTA

Thanks for the update. You had a major Godwink, I hope Dr. P is available. I think it was meant to be him.

Text me anytime. I will also reach out to you.

Moving right along, lmp. Glad you can get in to see the surgeon you want.

Snappy, good to see you posting.

Well success. I have an appt. to see Dr. P next thurs. Wowsa that was fast for sure. I wasnt expecting that. But am glad to get the show on the road so to speak.

Also today I will finally cancel the adrs I was holding off but I told dh my heart would not be in the trip and I will have something to look forward to if we go to Food and Wine in Oct. so that will be good.

It will be a rainy week end here for Mothers Day and I hope you all (and rajak too and Jason who reminds me there are not just ladies here) have a great weekend whatever you have planned.

GAGWTA

Well success. I have an appt. to see Dr. P next thurs. Wowsa that was fast for sure. I wasnt expecting that. But am glad to get the show on the road so to speak.

Also today I will finally cancel the adrs I was holding off but I told dh my heart would not be in the trip and I will have something to look forward to if we go to Food and Wine in Oct. so that will be good.

It will be a rainy week end here for Mothers Day and I hope you all (and rajak too and Jason who reminds me there are not just ladies here) have a great weekend whatever you have planned.

GAGWTA

Good work getting the appointment booked. I think it is wise to hold off on your usual May trip. It will likely be cooler for food wine. I'll send you our dates. DH has agreed to go with me in October. We Will be staying at Boardwalk DVC.

LMP, sorry you are having such a hard time. Keeping you in my prayers.

LMP: SO glad you have an appointment all set. Here's hoping you can get things moving there and soon. Sorry about the ADRs but agreed....heading to F&W will be even better!

Will be thinking about you, LMP. You are right, best to get on with it. WDW will be even sweeter later on. So glad you got Dr. P.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter