Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

My dad broke his wrist and will probably need surgery. He broke this wrist 5 years ago right after the cancer diagnosis and the dr.'s said then if he was in better shape they would have done surgery on it. Instead it was casted and we hoped for the best, he just had some movement limitations. Looks like this time they need to do the surgery. I am worried on so many levels. His cognitive functions are already off from the cancer surgery, will this make things worse? His age is a factor and I worry about his exposure to the virus and will my mom be allowed in wherever they do the surgery. Add to it our family orthopedist has retired. Yes my family had an orthopedist, they even jokingly called the cast after my family in jest. Between my kids and me we kept them busy. Now he is waiting for his primary to recommend someone.

I did speak to him this morning and he is in a lot of pain but not to worried. I told him he needs to heal quickly so he can hold his first great-great-grandchild when he is born in a couple of months. My grandson and his wife are expecting in late January with my first great-grandchild. The Circle of Life carries on and gives us a ray of sunshine.

My dad broke his wrist and will probably need surgery. He broke this wrist 5 years ago right after the cancer diagnosis and the dr.'s said then if he was in better shape they would have done surgery on it. Instead it was casted and we hoped for the best, he just had some movement limitations. Looks like this time they need to do the surgery. I am worried on so many levels. His cognitive functions are already off from the cancer surgery, will this make things worse? His age is a factor and I worry about his exposure to the virus and will my mom be allowed in wherever they do the surgery. Add to it our family orthopedist has retired. Yes my family had an orthopedist, they even jokingly called the cast after my family in jest. Between my kids and me we kept them busy. Now he is waiting for his primary to recommend someone.

I did speak to him this morning and he is in a lot of pain but not to worried. I told him he needs to heal quickly so he can hold his first great-great-grandchild when he is born in a couple of months. My grandson and his wife are expecting in late January with my first great-grandchild. The Circle of Life carries on and gives us a ray of sunshine.
My mother had a hip repair surgery in her 90s (as well as a pacemaker). Without it, the orthopedist said, she would never walk again. At the time, she chimed in with, “Well I want to walk again!!” 😅 When we got to the hospital (my own, where she wanted to go because, she said, “everyone is nice there”), admittedly I was worried. I thought they might not do it because she was too old and had cancer, etc. I was so relieved when the head of the ER came in, took her hand, and told her they were going to fix her hip for her. (She, of course, had no idea this was even a consideration.) What they did, though, was put her on what they call an “elderly protocol” or something like that, where they use types and doses of anesthesia and pain medication that impact their cognition the least, and get them mobilized early, etc. She did, despite that, wind up with a pretty bad episode of delerium, which was not a surprise to me at all, and it was difficult, but we got her through it. Sometimes delerium is caused by things besides surgery and medication, or is exacerbated by a combination of things, and in her case she had a UTI which slipped by almost undetected, but there it was and we figured it out. I feel that it did take her a long time to recover cognitively, but again, not unexpected with her age and medical conditions. Still, she wanted it done.

As far as visitation goes, there is what’s called a humanitarian visitation in some places. It requires special permission from administrators, but your Mom could say where he has cancer and some cognitive issues, it might actually be helpful for her to be there for him in case he had any issues before, during or after the surgery. Of course, she’d be exposing herself, too, to germs that are in hospitals- even in bathrooms and food areas, etc., so she’d have to take that into consideration, too. And I mean not just Covid, but flu, strep and other germs that are going around this time of year. Maybe your daughter could go with him instead since she is accustomed to protecting herself in that type of environment? That way at least he’d have a familiar, loving face nearby if he needed her. Many places will only allow one visitor or support person. HTH.

My mother had a hip repair surgery in her 90s (as well as a pacemaker). Without it, the orthopedist said, she would never walk again. At the time, she chimed in with, “Well I want to walk again!!” 😅 When we got to the hospital (my own, where she wanted to go because, she said, “everyone is nice there”), admittedly I was worried. I thought they might not do it because she was too old and had cancer, etc. I was so relieved when the head of the ER came in, took her hand, and told her they were going to fix her hip for her. (She, of course, had no idea this was even a consideration.) What they did, though, was put her on what they call an “elderly protocol” or something like that, where they use types and doses of anesthesia and pain medication that impact their cognition the least, and get them mobilized early, etc. She did, despite that, wind up with a pretty bad episode of delerium, which was not a surprise to me at all, and it was difficult, but we got her through it. Sometimes delerium is caused by things besides surgery and medication, or is exacerbated by a combination of things, and in her case she had a UTI which slipped by almost undetected, but there it was and we figured it out. I feel that it did take her a long time to recover cognitively, but again, not unexpected with her age and medical conditions. Still, she wanted it done.

As far as visitation goes, there is what’s called a humanitarian visitation in some places. It requires special permission from administrators, but your Mom could say where he has cancer and some cognitive issues, it might actually be helpful for her to be there for him in case he had any issues before, during or after the surgery. Of course, she’d be exposing herself, too, to germs that are in hospitals- even in bathrooms and food areas, etc., so she’d have to take that into consideration, too. And I mean not just Covid, but flu, strep and other germs that are going around this time of year. Maybe your daughter could go with him instead since she is accustomed to protecting herself in that type of environment? That way at least he’d have a familiar, loving face nearby if he needed her. Many places will only allow one visitor or support person. HTH.

That is very helpful. I was actually hoping to convince my parents that they should get a surgeon at my daughters hospital and then my daughter could possibly get in on the surgery. She is training in the OR now, her dream job. I love hearing all the blood and guts gore :rolleyes1. My parents do have tremendous faith in their primary and I know she takes excellent care of them. I am sure the dr.'s will take all of his needs into consideration before deciding to proceed with surgery. I worry that coming off the coumadin will cause his AFib to act up and possibly throw a clot. I do tend to overthink everything though.

I agree with Pea-n-me. As I said above, I would be talking to the surgeon about the risk of waiting. I always liked to ask for what my surgeon’s nurse called a face to face when I had questions for which I needed real answers.

I agree with both of you, my foremost concern and my GP's is my BP which can land me in immediate crisis as a reaction to medical settings. This necessitates method other than for a normally anxious patient.

Update: My Physician is going to forward my wish (now) to meet with a cancer consultant. She will prescribe a med for me if I've not started on my CBD Oil. Also, request that I be allowed (Covid rules) an attendant. This will all take a wait of a month because of Covid19 back to back backlog issues.

So... you guys are basically helping irradicate possible cancer, one case at a time. Did I say that right? Thanks.

Last edited:
That is very helpful. I was actually hoping to convince my parents that they should get a surgeon at my daughters hospital and then my daughter could possibly get in on the surgery. She is training in the OR now, her dream job. I love hearing all the blood and guts gore :rolleyes1. My parents do have tremendous faith in their primary and I know she takes excellent care of them. I am sure the dr.'s will take all of his needs into consideration before deciding to proceed with surgery. I worry that coming off the coumadin will cause his AFib to act up and possibly throw a clot. I do tend to overthink everything though.
I think that‘s a good idea. Coming off Coumadin won’t make his AFib act up (though surgery in and of itself can do that) but you are right about potential clots (unless he’s not actually in AFib right now, though clots are a consideration with any surgery). Good for her! An interesting place to work, for sure!

I agree with both of you, my foremost concern and my GP's is my BP which can land me in immediate crisis as a reaction to medical settings. This necessitates method other than for a normally anxious patient.
Update: My Physician is going to forward my wish (now) to meet with a cancer consultant. She will prescribe a med for me if I've not started on my CBD Oil. Also, request that I be allowed (Covid rules) an attendant. This will all take a wait of a month because of Covid19 back to back backlog issues.

So... you guys are basically helping irradicate possible cancer, one case at a time. Did I say that right? Thanks.
Well that’s good! “White Coat Syndrome” is pretty common. There are things you can learn to help calm yourself when dealing with medical appointments and procedures - pick up a copy of The Wellness Book and you can learn about Complementary Therapies that can help you a lot. I had to do it myself when undergoing my breast cancer treatment. And there are also medications that can be given if BP is too high. We deal with this all the time! Don’t let it stop you from getting the medical care you need, especially as you get older. We’re always here for support! It’s possible they may let you have an attendant for your anxiety, but humanitarian exceptions are more for people not expected to live long (days or hours) or extreme medical circumstances, just as an fyi. But it never hurts to ask. It’s just that for Covid considerations, they have to be strict, or everyone would be having an attendant because most people are stressed when they have to go to the hospital! You might be surprised how supportive staff can be, especially during this time. But I’m glad your PCP is going forward with talking to the breast surgeon or whoever made the recommendation for you. Once you get the information you need, you can better make your decision about whether to go forward with it or not. Learning that you have that type of control could even help lessen your medical anxiety overall. :flower3:

Happy November everyone!
Ann - glad to see you posting. Wishing your dh and you all the best. Each day is a treasure for sure. How wonderful for your family with another grandson.
Melissa - Wishing you all the best
NFLDERS - lots of great wisdom for you from the ladies here
tazdev - your dad sounds like a true fighter.

I have survived another surgery and the vascular surgeon has saved my life again. Praise God. This time I was in the ICU for 6 days. The operation was delayed for a few hours Because some resident ordered a med which I was not suppose to have. I heard he got in Big trouble. They put the spinal drain in the operating room while I was awake. I was screaming alot and they said I was doing good. The surgeon did some unplanned things and now I also have a stent by my liver. They kept me in a coma on the ventilator overnight.

Glad ds checked on me alot. One time the chief of cardiac surgery was in my room and he thought d's was my nurse. He said no I am her son and work in the ICU pool. Then the chief high fives ds and apparently ds thought this was awesome.

I am weak and tired. The surgeon said I am healing well and I will have a ct scan in a month. I know he is talking about the right kidney next. I am really seeing what they meant by massive damage and truly remarkable to be alive. I have much to be Thankful for this Thanksgiving.Don't know what those plans will be yet.
GAGWTA.

Happy November everyone!
Ann - glad to see you posting. Wishing your dh and you all the best. Each day is a treasure for sure. How wonderful for your family with another grandson.

I have survived another surgery and the vascular surgeon has saved my life again. Praise God. This time I was in the ICU for 6 days. The operation was delayed for a few hours Because some resident ordered a med which I was not suppose to have. I heard he got in Big trouble. They put the spinal drain in the operating room while I was awake. I was screaming alot and they said I was doing good. The surgeon did some unplanned things and now I also have a stent by my liver. They kept me in a coma on the ventilator overnight.

Glad ds checked on me alot. One time the chief of cardiac surgery was in my room and he thought d's was my nurse. He said no I am her son and work in the ICU pool. Then the chief high fives ds and apparently ds thought this was awesome.

I am weak and tired. The surgeon said I am healing well and I will have a ct scan in a month. I know he is talking about the right kidney next. I am really seeing what they meant by massive damage and truly remarkable to be alive. I have much to be Thankful for this Thanksgiving.Don't know what those plans will be yet.
GAGWTA.
Glad things went well for you. :flower3:

LMP, glad you updated us. I hope you continue to heal and get stronger. That was wonderful of your son to keep an eye on you. It really helps to have that kind of support.

Waiting to hear if my dad will need the surgery but he looked good the other day when I stopped by, appropriately masked. He also sees his oncologist by telemed for the yearly check-up. So far he is going on 5 years cancer free. I am so glad they went to one of the best cancer hospitals in our are.

I sometimes feel guilty that my dad at his age is doing so well and my husband's cousins aren't. His one cousin passed away in March while I was in Disney World from metastatic breast cancer. She fought hard but it beat her. The cousin's sister is now undergoing chemo for breast cancer and then a double mastectomy and radiation. If that isn't enough while she is enduring chemo her husband was just put on inpatient hospice for metastatic pancreatic cancer. He has very little time left and she just didn't have the strength to keep him home. They were/are all in their 50's. I really feel so sorry for them all.

Hi everyone. Not on the DIS much as we don't go to WDW anymore, but checking back through the posts.

Janet, how is your husband doing? Don't see a post since you talked about his stents.

Peg, thanks for telling us about your scar. I have a big scar too, will definitely keep an eye on it. It's my other breast with a lumpectomy that itches sometimes, but not always. Did getting off of the P med help Kendall's cough?

LMP, was looking for your post. Glad it went well, sorry about the wedding!

Snappy, looks like you found a great way to hole up during the lockdown.

Melissa and Taz, please keep us posted.

Well, I just spent about 15 months being overwhelmed with moving, estate sales, selling ABQ house, and getting settled in Portland. Did not see DH from Feb to early Oct, because he stayed in ABQ to get that house ready and we couldn't fly to see each other. He's here and waiting for another hip replacement. Not happy that he will have another long anesthetic surgery since I think it affects him neurologically.

Other than that, doing ok. DD is here, not working, still holing up, but we are all pretty introverted so it seems kind of normal. Relief is in sight! Oh, and I got a toy poodle puppy in May. He keeps us laughing.

Attachments

• IMG_5644.jpeg
    IMG_5644.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 3
Just checking in. I had my Surgeon's follow up appointment this morning. She explained very thoroughly my tests, and results. She is confident there is no cancer. But ordering another ultra sound in 5 mos. just to take another look. The scar tissue had an explanation probably result of a seat belt injury in a side swiping accident we had in early 1994, I got whip lash and our car was totalled. I'd totally forgotten about it. My situation is probably hormonal post, post menopausal. I'll take that!

Thanks again, and Stay Safe. :grouphug:

Last edited:
Is it wrong to be so happy that my dad has been released by the oncologist. He is five years post surgery and no sign of the cancer. I am so happy that he is now officially a survivor.

After hearing that news I found out that my husband's cousin's husband lost his battle today. He was just 59 years old. I am so glad that I still have my dad but sad for my husband's family. His cousin lost her sister and husband both in less than a year from cancer and she is fighting her own battle.

Still waiting on the MRI for his wrist and hoping for no surgery.

So many brave people here. When I read your stories, tears well up in me. My wish for everyone for the remainder of this nightmarish year is for a better 2021. Wishes for a good Thanksgiving, and a Joy filled Christmas. :grouphug:

Happy November everyone!

GAGWTA.

Just wanting to encourage. My BFF ( we are seniors) has been fighting cancer for 30ish years now. Her mother had the same cancer slow spread at about the same age. My friend lost a kidney, and flatlined on the operating room table a few years ago. Then, Stem Cell Therapy came along. She was offered it to help their research ie. She took it, the session was for her on the heels of there is nothing else we can do for you Rachel.

The session was she said harder than previous treatment but did show positive signs. So they advised a second round after a brief break. She went for it, the treatment was better rec'd by her system (side effects, cancer eradicated) she has been cancer free now for about 3 years, feeling like her old self sans as she jokes: Short 1 kidney but who's counting.. et al.

Wishing you and all cancer survivors here, hope for better health in your futures too. :grouphug:

Dancid, so glad to hear from you! I'll pray that your husband's surgery causes no problems! Your new puppy is adorable!

NFLDERS, your news is good! So nice to hear positive things happening!

Tazdev, great news about your dad!

Because there is always something, Kendall has been going through a bunch of tests. Coming off the Plaquenil has been rough. She started having issues with her heart racing. Her rheumatologist wanted her to see a cardiologist. He ordered an echo and she is wearing a monitor for two weeks. Hopefully, the problem is just a result of coming off the Plaquenil and not a sign of damage caused by the drug.

To make things just a little more stressful, Kendall started having pain in one breast about a year ago. She saw her GYN who ordered a mammogram. Then, the doctor ordered a sonogram. Her GYN decided it was probably a cyst. She told Kendall she wanted to do a follow up MRI in 6 months. Six months passed and Kendall had the MRI. The doctor has since ordered another sonogram. We are waiting to hear the results. On the bright side, the pain seems to come and go which makes it more likely a cyst. However, it hasn't completely gone away, so she might still need to have surgery to have whatever it is removed.

I am doing okay. I am continuing with the Ibrance and am now getting monthly injections of Fluvestrant. The biggest issue is joint pain. I am finding it harder and harder to walk long distances. Sadly, I gave up my passes to both Disney World and Universal. Heart breaking, but necessary. Between my difficulty walking and the virus, I just couldn't justify them any longer. I find myself taking naps most days. I guess I'm official an old person! lol. On the bright side, I'm still here and I'm still enjoying life! I just finished decorating for the holidays. It took awhile, but I'm in the spirit of the season!

Think of you all every day!123968763_10223565859877288_101478845191286933_o.jpg123646583_10223550710338559_1491534337041858609_n.jpg123708873_10223550709458537_6564752974293289220_n.jpg123717143_10223550741619341_490228813436395200_o.jpg123718132_10223550709978550_6771129734719417317_n.jpg123857591_10223550710738569_2605806944860198344_n.jpg123661785_10223550621176330_3148601574183983323_n.jpg123849315_10223550620696318_7557122996481465441_n.jpg123680885_10223581031176561_4463937959970262384_n.jpg124278517_10223581031736575_8170336986657827924_n.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter