Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

I am in for this and for the food your again but also want to check out St. Peter's

I haven't gotten any response from the organizers of the after hours tour of the Vatican.

I might consider arranging a private tour of the Vatican during regular hours if anyone is interested in joining in. It would have to be for the morning of the 23rd. If anyone is interested, let me know.

I'm pretty sure that it was the Trastevere food tour and those who went on it raved about it....see Kristy Hertz's trip report.

Seeing the Vatican and Sistine chapel at night was not the 2014 experience so although we had ABD taking us we were there with the masses during the day...we had as I recall 30 minutes in the chapel with 1000 of our friends. As I remember John said that since this was an additional ABD trip out of their schedule, they couldn't do the night trip. John looked into the cost for the group but it would have been prohibitive.

I am going to relook at Chuck's vacation time.....we may "have" to try to come in 2 days early rather than 1 to have time to do several things.

For the evening cocktail group, the Bernini Bristol has a great rooftop bar....just saying....new members are always welcome

Chris
I just booked the Sina Bernini Bristol and at the Westin in Venice. Last time I was in Rome I stayed at the Albergo del Senato. That location was amazing. But the Bernini looks great and my fellow travelers are A+. I've been looking at fine dining/michelin star restaurants in Rome....and guess whats at the Bristol. Not only a rooftop bar but a tasting menu with amazing desserts.

I haven't gotten any response from the organizers of the after hours tour of the Vatican.

I might consider arranging a private tour of the Vatican during regular hours if anyone is interested in joining in. It would have to be for the morning of the 23rd. If anyone is interested, let me know.
I'll be interested. I've heard good things about context travel and received this in an email.

https://www.contexttravel.com/citie...il&utm_term=0_5dd3a44025-461997bb5b-154624517

I'd probably break up the highlights into two half day tours. 1) The Vatican 2) Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and Spanish Steps. The last time we went to the Vatican we waited in the crazy long line to get into the museum. I haven't done any research, but if there is a way to avoid that by buying special tickets or a private tour, I'd do that. For the Colosseum, etc it may be smart to do a private tour. The sites are sort of spread out. A private tour will get you past the lines at the Colosseum. I may go over to the Trevi Fountain later at night for pictures to avoid or minimize the crowds. In fact, I think I may try to talk @met19 to go out for night photography just as it's about to pour down rain on us... and then we can run back to the hotel bar... Sounds like fun.

Yeah, I'd really like to do a food tour in Trastevere. I've heard great things about that area.

I thought you and Kate were going to Florence. I am of course up for rain photography, running in the rain, and beverages.

If y'all are looking for another photographer to join in I'm game. I know I did my fair share of sunrise and night photography last time DW and I were there. I know I will be out again to get some shots I missed. The Trevi Fountain is one I will definitely being spending some time at night shooting since in 2014 it was covered in scaffolding and you really couldn't get a decent shot. and I'll take rain any day over the hail storm we got trapped in when I just wanted to get a couple more shots of St. Mark's.

If y'all are looking for another photographer to join in I'm game. I know I did my fair share of sunrise and night photography last time DW and I were there. I know I will be out again to get some shots I missed. The Trevi Fountain is one I will definitely being spending some time at night shooting since in 2014 it was covered in scaffolding and you really couldn't get a decent shot. and I'll take rain any day over the hail storm we got trapped in when I just wanted to get a couple more shots of St. Mark's.

Great! We can set up a specific time once everyone knows their schedules. I would guess the 23rd after dinner will work best for most people. I've read after 10pm crowds are lighter, but I'm guessing not La Dolce Vita style. To get super empty, we'd probably have to go before sunrise.

I don't think that the after hour tour will happen. According to several websites it looks like after hours is only offered from May thru October....bummer....

I can attest to Dustin's photo skills, he did the beautiful pictures that Kristy used in her trip report. If Mike Holland and Pete join your group, none of the rest of us will need to take pictures since we will have our own photo crew. I did, however tell Kristy that I thought that she would be able to spend more time with her husband on this trip since we are confined to a ship, hopefully I didn't lie to her.

Great! We can set up a specific time once everyone knows their schedules. I would guess the 23rd after dinner will work best for most people. I've read after 10pm crowds are lighter, but I'm guessing not La Dolce Vita style. To get super empty, we'd probably have to go before sunrise.

The more the merrier. I loved the Trevi at night, but also in the am. I got there around 7 or 730 one morning in Sept and there barely anyone there. Spanish Steps is something I want to see- it was likewise behind scaffolding when I went. The Pantheon at night is a great shot too. When I went on the Italy and Switzerland ABD, our guides always knew I got up in the am to take morning/sunrise photos and asked to see them. I often passed @christannj DH on his morning run.

I don't think that the after hour tour will happen. According to several websites it looks like after hours is only offered from May thru October....bummer....

I can attest to Dustin's photo skills, he did the beautiful pictures that Kristy used in her trip report. If Mike Holland and Pete join your group, none of the rest of us will need to take pictures since we will have our own photo crew. I did, however tell Kristy that I thought that she would be able to spend more time with her husband on this trip since we are confined to a ship, hopefully I didn't lie to her.

Too bad about the after hours tours. Context travel on that link mentioned we can asked them to inquire if possible (if one is not already scheduled). Context tour is pretty pricey though....I'll shoot them an email about the 23rd and see what they say. I'll post an update with their reply.

Sounds good. We'd do the Context after hrs tour if available. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe they just need to see some interest and they can request a date.

If not, I'd still like to see the Vatican and St Pete's earlier in the day.

That's good to hear about the Trevi Fountain in the morning. We just need to optimistically get up, do a morning shoot, grab breakfast and then nap to the port.

Sounds good. We'd do the Context after hrs tour if available. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe they just need to see some interest and they can request a date.

If not, I'd still like to see the Vatican and St Pete's earlier in the day.

That's good to hear about the Trevi Fountain in the morning. We just need to optimistically get up, do a morning shoot, grab breakfast and then nap to the port.

Not sure how close the Bernini is to the Trevi, but when Jen and I were in Rome and stayed at the Albergo it was 0.5 miles away and made an easy am walk...though at night the water of any fountain in Rome (but esp Trevi) is a beautiful accent in the photo....

Not sure how close the Bernini is to the Trevi, but when Jen and I were in Rome and stayed at the Albergo it was 0.5 miles away and made an easy am walk...though at night the water of any fountain in Rome (but esp Trevi) is a beautiful accent in the photo....

per Google Maps, the Bernini is 650m or about a 7 min walk from the Trevi fountain:
Bernini Bristol to Trevi Fountain.jpg

I've also be looking at this website with lays out self guided walking tours of Rome:
https://www.rometoolkit.com/walks/rome_walks.html

Was thinking that covering 2-3 of this would give a good overview of a few major highlights
Walking tour of Rome walks.jpg

per Google Maps, the Bernini is 650m or about a 7 min walk from the Trevi fountain:
View attachment 232034

I've also be looking at this website with lays out self guided walking tours of Rome:
https://www.rometoolkit.com/walks/rome_walks.html

Was thinking that covering 2-3 of this would give a good overview of a few major highlights
View attachment 232035

Great data- I paid for few tours when I was there. I did the Vatican museums (was packed) , the forum and Colosseum, and piazzas and plazas. I used walks of Italy and context.

I vote Will to be our walking tour organizer:cool1:. As I have said before, when we were on the ABD tour I was completely disoriented as to where we were in relation to the hotel.... Now having been there it is easier to visualize locations on the map.

Chris

If you're a fan of Rick Steves' he has a bunch of Italy audio tours you can download along with the maps that go with them. I've downloaded a couple of them(ok all of them) to have for when we are walking around on our own and not part of a tour.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/italy

Thanks, and yes having to be on the ship at night will certainty keep me confined. There were a lot of late nights photo walks with Pete, Dustin, and Mike on that trip, even a couple of stupid early mornings for sunrise photos and I'm sure with how much walking we did she was more appreciative of the extra sleep. :rotfl:

I know on our last trip Heather went to the Trevi around 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning and got some really great photos. There was one older gentleman sitting there that really helped give the fountain some context

I vote Will to be our walking tour organizer:cool1:. As I have said before, when we were on the ABD tour I was completely disoriented as to where we were in relation to the hotel.... Now having been there it is easier to visualize locations on the map.

Chris
Looks like I got nominated. I am more than happy to help plan out some things. Just PM me with what people are interested in (and price limitations) and I'll see what I can come up with.

I mentioned thus before, but the Hop On/Hop Off bus stops right in front of the hotel.

It's a great way to get an overview of the highlights of Rome and allows you to hop off and see what you want to see and hop back on to the next thing.

You also receive a headset and there are recorded info packages about what you are seeing.

Might be less expensive than getting taxis.

If you're a fan of Rick Steves' he has a bunch of Italy audio tours you can download along with the maps that go with them. I've downloaded a couple of them(ok all of them) to have for when we are walking around on our own and not part of a tour.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/italy

I would also highly recommend Samantha Brown's Passport to Europe episodes about Rome and Venice.

All are available from iTunes.

we used a lot of the info from these to help us get started.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter