Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Is anyone traveling from the NYC metro area? I'm wondering what you all expect air to cost? I just want to budget appropriately. I'm looking and it seems like maybe not all flights are released, I'm seeing some LONG trips (30 hrs!) and virtually no nonstop flights!
Delta does non-stop from JFK to FCO and also VCE to JFK. We did that a couple of years ago on our Viva Italia ABD trip.

Delta does non-stop from JFK to FCO and also VCE to JFK. We did that a couple of years ago on our Viva Italia ABD trip.

I've been looking and not seeing and direct flights back from VCE on Delta, they all have 1 stop (at least for days/times we were looking) - maybe that changed in the past few years. Do see some directs from JFK to FCO but they are about ~$250/person more than with 1 stop

Is anyone traveling from the NYC metro area? I'm wondering what you all expect air to cost? I just want to budget appropriately. I'm looking and it seems like maybe not all flights are released, I'm seeing some LONG trips (30 hrs!) and virtually no nonstop flights! We'd be thinking economy or premium economy only.

I shared your concerns, and I was very nervous ($3k for 20 hr connecting flights). I searched 6 months out instead and could not have been more pleased to see from PHL (our airport) we can fly direct NONSTOP both to Rome and from Venice. But they will not be available til Oct I am guessing. Big Whew!

These are three of *my* favorite pics: Enclosed glass dome over main pool, infinity pool, and SNOW GROTTO!!! I can't decide if I'm more excited by the ship or the ports!

dome.jpg
infinViking-Star-May-2015-051.jpg
snowRoom.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.vikingcruises.com/ocean...erranean/italian-sojourn/videos.html#noscroll

Watch the first video called Italian Sojourn.

This lady speaking could sell me swampland and Star Wars stuff.

I love this video.

Is anyone traveling from the NYC metro area? I'm wondering what you all expect air to cost? I just want to budget appropriately. I'm looking and it seems like maybe not all flights are released, I'm seeing some LONG trips (30 hrs!) and virtually no nonstop flights! We'd be thinking economy or premium economy only.

I currently live in metro NYC. I know Delta flies direct to Rome and Venice and usually has decent fairs. Aitalia also flies direct. You should have a lot of options and prices prob will go down a bit. I think it having the option to fly direct for a slight increase in $ and save a transfer is worth it.

agreed! Definitely looking forward to the chef's table.

I was a little surprised in reading the cruise critic review that it is the Italian one that is the most popular and the one most important to make reservations for. I too am very excited for the Chef's Table one - especially the Indian themed one I think could be really interesting

I was a little surprised in reading the cruise critic review that it is the Italian one that is the most popular and the one most important to make reservations for. I too am very excited for the Chef's Table one - especially the Indian themed one I think could be really interesting

Yum, i love Indian. Is it a specific evening? I didn't catch that anywhere.

Yum, i love Indian. Is it a specific evening? I didn't catch that anywhere.

It says the theme rotates every three days - I assume when we can book it would indicate what is each day rather than it be a surprise after you book a reservation, but not sure

The Chef's Table (Deck 1): An ambitious concept, the Chef's Table restaurant features a set menu, paired with wine that hews to one of five themes, each of which rotates every three days. The themes include Asian Panorama, Venice Carnival, La Route des Indes, which celebrates dishes with Indian spices, "sweet and salty" and "a gastronomic journey through time." Meant to be a leisurely evening at the table, the dinner offers five courses, including an amuse bouche and a palate cleanser. Wines are an integral part of the experience, and pairings can be unusual, such as a rose with oxtail soup. Courses are perfectly sized so that diners aren't over-stuffed.

It says the theme rotates every three days - I assume when we can book it would indicate what is each day rather than it be a surprise after you book a reservation, but not sure

The Chef's Table (Deck 1): An ambitious concept, the Chef's Table restaurant features a set menu, paired with wine that hews to one of five themes, each of which rotates every three days. The themes include Asian Panorama, Venice Carnival, La Route des Indes, which celebrates dishes with Indian spices, "sweet and salty" and "a gastronomic journey through time." Meant to be a leisurely evening at the table, the dinner offers five courses, including an amuse bouche and a palate cleanser. Wines are an integral part of the experience, and pairings can be unusual, such as a rose with oxtail soup. Courses are perfectly sized so that diners aren't over-stuffed.

Sign us up! That's right up our alley. I'm curious now what the other days are. I didn't know they changed. I'm looking forward to the Italian restaurant as well, but a great pre fixe meal with wine is our favorite.

My plan as well. If no dates are available for the after hours private tour, we'll do the morning express tour. I, like @Cackyschmackers husband, will probably pass without either of those options. I'd rather not fight the Vatican Museum crowds. I remember going during a "low season". Most of Italy was empty - tourism wise. No line for the Uffizi. No line for the Academia in Florence. But the Vatican was at maximum sardine packing capacity.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think we are going to go with Dark Rome Tours otherwise known as City Wonders Tours. We like the idea of the early entry into the Sistine Chapel, and we definitely want to see the museums. So we're going to go with their early entry Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museums tour. Their early entry Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica tour with the crypts does not give you access to the museums, so this seems like the best bet and a priority for us. After we spend the time we'd like in the museums, I guess then we'll have to deal with the lines at St. Peters. Thanks again, Everyone.

The Raphael rooms, Sistine chapel and St. Peter's are my priority too. I think based on my previous Vatican museum experience, I would prefer to do the museum not with a tour if I do them at all. Clearly if they're part of an after hour tour with a very empty Sistine Chapel I would consider it.

The actual museum portion reminds me of the Met in NYC- so. Much. Art. if I go to the museum I want to wander to what I am interested in. This is why I want to use a tour to get into difficult/high yield areas. Just my 2 cents based on my priorities.

Just wanted to mention that we went ahead and booked that early entry express tour just to ensure we had it locked up and we knew when we were doing that, etc.

Just wanted to mention that we went ahead and booked that early entry express tour just to ensure we had it locked up and we knew when we were doing that, etc.

We did as well! It feels good to know we have something else checked off of the to-do list!!

@met19 @TheMaxRebo @khertz We booked the 24th as well. Sounds like a perfect tour. Private would be cool, but this sounds like it will avoid all the big crowds and concentrate on what we really want to see - Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's ... along with freeing up an evening for a delicious food tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter