DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney...counts-and-perks-11661978329?mod=hp_lead_pos3
Disney Explores Amazon Prime-Like Membership Program to Offer Discounts and Perks

Entertainment giant looks to package streaming, parks and merchandise offerings together; aims to add commerce feature to Disney+​

By creating a membership program, Disney would be betting it could offer customers more value, prompting them to spend more on the company’s parks, products and services.
By Jessica Toonkel and Sarah Krouse

Aug. 31, 2022 4:38 pm ET

Walt Disney Co. DIS -0.31%▼ is exploring a membership program that could offer discounts or special perks to encourage customers to spend more on its streaming services, theme parks, resorts and merchandise, according to people familiar with the discussions.

The program would be somewhat akin to Amazon Prime, which offers advantages such as free shipping, discounts at Whole Foods and a complementary streaming video service for a monthly or annual fee, the people said. Internally, some executives have referred to Disney’s initiative as “Disney Prime,” although that won’t be the name of the program, one of the people said.

DIS -0.31% is exploring a membership program that might provide reductions or particular perks to encourage clients to spend extra on its streaming companies, theme parks, resorts and merchandise, in response to folks accustomed to the discussions.

This system could be considerably akin to Amazon Prime, which gives benefits comparable to free transport, reductions at Complete Meals and a complementary streaming video service for a month-to-month or annual price, the folks mentioned. Internally, some executives have referred to Disney’s initiative as “Disney Prime,” though that gained’t be the title of this system, one of many folks mentioned.

Discussions at Disney are within the early phases. It couldn’t be discovered how a lot the corporate would cost for membership and the way lengthy it might take to launch such a program.

By making a membership program, Disney could be betting it may provide clients extra worth, prompting them to spend extra on the corporate’s services and products, whereas offering Disney with a trove of details about their preferences.

The hassle is supported by Disney Chief Govt Bob Chapek, who has been vocal each internally and publicly concerning the alternative for Disney to do extra to cross-sell to clients, the folks accustomed to the discussions mentioned.

“Know-how is giving us new methods to customise and personalize the patron expertise in order that we’re delivering leisure, experiences and merchandise which might be most related to every of our company,” mentioned Kristina Schake, senior government vice chairman and chief communications officer at Disney, in an announcement. “A membership program is simply one of many thrilling concepts that’s being explored.”

Disney already has a particular program for superfans, the D23 Official Fan Membership, which prices $99.99 to $129.99 a yr and comes with entry to unique occasions and merchandise. That program provided members a reduced three-year subscription to Disney+ in 2019. A brand new membership program could be completely different in that it might be focused at extra informal Disney followers and clients.

As an early step to raised hyperlink Disney services and products, Disney is working to allow subscribers to its Disney+ streaming service to purchase merchandise related to a few of its reveals by scanning a code on the service, folks accustomed to the plan mentioned. The corporate expects to introduce that function as quickly as this yr.

DIS -0.31% is exploring a membership program that might provide reductions or particular perks to encourage clients to spend extra on its streaming companies, theme parks, resorts and merchandise, in response to folks accustomed to the discussions.

This system could be considerably akin to Amazon Prime, which gives benefits comparable to free transport, reductions at Complete Meals and a complementary streaming video service for a month-to-month or annual price, the folks mentioned. Internally, some executives have referred to Disney’s initiative as “Disney Prime,” though that gained’t be the title of this system, one of many folks mentioned.

Discussions at Disney are within the early phases. It couldn’t be discovered how a lot the corporate would cost for membership and the way lengthy it might take to launch such a program.

By making a membership program, Disney could be betting it may provide clients extra worth, prompting them to spend extra on the corporate’s services and products, whereas offering Disney with a trove of details about their preferences.

The hassle is supported by Disney Chief Govt Bob Chapek, who has been vocal each internally and publicly concerning the alternative for Disney to do extra to cross-sell to clients, the folks accustomed to the discussions mentioned.

“Know-how is giving us new methods to customise and personalize the patron expertise in order that we’re delivering leisure, experiences and merchandise which might be most related to every of our company,” mentioned Kristina Schake, senior government vice chairman and chief communications officer at Disney, in an announcement. “A membership program is simply one of many thrilling concepts that’s being explored.”

Disney already has a particular program for superfans, the D23 Official Fan Membership, which prices $99.99 to $129.99 a yr and comes with entry to unique occasions and merchandise. That program provided members a reduced three-year subscription to Disney+ in 2019. A brand new membership program could be completely different in that it might be focused at extra informal Disney followers and clients.

As an early step to raised hyperlink Disney services and products, Disney is working to allow subscribers to its Disney+ streaming service to purchase merchandise related to a few of its reveals by scanning a code on the service, folks accustomed to the plan mentioned. The corporate expects to introduce that function as quickly as this yr.
I am intrigued.

I am intrigued.
I’m really struggling to see what value this could offer for someone like me on the consumer side . We have Disney + for free from a credit card, we’re taking our first Disney trip as a family next year and probably won’t be every year people, and my kids aren’t really insistent on having Disney-branded toys. From a shareholder standpoint it’s interesting, but I’m having a hard time caring from a consumer standpoint.

I am intrigued.

Yeah, it's not actually the worst idea if it is somehow part of the Disney+ subscription. I mean, I am using that tD+ resort discount in two weeks, so that could be a part of this. I mean, I plan to keep Disney+ regardless, so it could work - of course this will heavily depend on the specifics which we will just have to see - but I'm not completely turned off by the idea.

Last edited:
Plan to take advantage of the intro period because that will be the most Excitement and then it will be reality . Disney always wins .
We could have fun thinking about all the ways Disney plans to sell this to US, their loyal guests!
How can they trick us into thinking we need to be prime customers?
First place in line to buy AP subscription. and with your annual pass free parking and optional dining plan.

Plan to take advantage of the intro period because that will be the most Excitement and then it will be reality . Disney always wins .
We could have fun thinking about all the ways Disney plans to sell this to US, their loyal guests!
First place in line to buy AP subscription. and with your annual pass free parking and optional dining plan.
Heck, if there was a magical express perk…

Sounds like they're just reinventing the wheel. Disney had a subscription discount service called the "Disney Club". It was rather short-lived and was replaced by the co-branded Disney Visa. Prior to the Disney Club, there was a free version for employees of favored companies called the Magic Kingdom Club.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-oct-01-fi-disney01-story.html

I’m really struggling to see what value this could offer for someone like me on the consumer side . We have Disney + for free from a credit card, we’re taking our first Disney trip as a family next year and probably won’t be every year people, and my kids aren’t really insistent on having Disney-branded toys. From a shareholder standpoint it’s interesting, but I’m having a hard time caring from a consumer standpoint.
I am intrigued as to what the cost is and what is included. Will it be for everyone? Of course not.

Sounds like they're just reinventing the wheel. Disney had a subscription discount service called the "Disney Club". It was rather short-lived and was replaced by the co-branded Disney Visa. Prior to the Disney Club, there was a free version for employees of favored companies called the Magic Kingdom Club.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-oct-01-fi-disney01-story.html
New and Improved!!! Seems I've heard that pitch before. I think Proctor & Gamble invented it.

If this program comes to fruition and it benefits some people then great. Like any subscription service, some will benefit and some will not.

I am intrigued as to what the cost is and what is included. Will it be for everyone? Of course not.
Of course. I’m just curious about what the pitch is going to be, and how value is going to be marketed to people that are on the more casual side of Disney fandom. Based on Chapek’s outlook of prioritizing “once in a lifetime” type customers in terms of the parks, I’m wondering if that mentality will apply to this(and how would it), or if this is going to be aimed at soothing the burns of the AP holders and frequent visitors(which would be a wise move honestly).

Of course. I’m just curious about what the pitch is going to be, and how value is going to be marketed to people that are on the more casual side of Disney fandom. Based on Chapek’s outlook of prioritizing “once in a lifetime” type customers in terms of the parks, I’m wondering if that mentality will apply to this(and how would it), or if this is going to be aimed at soothing the burns of the AP holders and frequent visitors(which would be a wise move honestly).
Like most subscription services, this will likely be for people who are more than just the casual fans or users. At least in my opinion.

On top of the main hook for this program (whatever that may be)... It sounds like Disney will dangle a carrot in front of Disney products, services and experiences that you are not currently using or they feel they can entice you to spend more on something they know you love. Are you a DVC member that only spends 5 out 10 days at the parks? Promo to up your tickets to 10 day. Dis+ Member but don't go to the theatre? Movie Discount. Go to the parks but don't eat at table service? Discount . Go to the parks but not Disney Springs? discount. I feel each subscriber will be targeted differently based on the data Disney has on you. And it will likely be location and time based. Walk into Pandora? Lightning lane discount of 25%off pops up for Flight of Passage.

Currently, you may get the odd 25% off hotel room or cruise offer via email but you are probably more likely to use those promos if you paid a fee to be part of a program. Like Costco or Prime people feel they have to shop more to justify their monthly/annual fee.

Like most subscription services, this will likely be for people who are more than just the casual fans or users. At least in my opinion.

On top of the main hook for this program (whatever that may be)... It sounds like Disney will dangle a carrot in front of Disney products, services and experiences that you are not currently using or they feel they can entice you to spend more on something they know you love. Are you a DVC member that only spends 5 out 10 days at the parks? Promo to up your tickets to 10 day. Dis+ Member but don't go to the theatre? Movie Discount. Go to the parks but don't eat at table service? Discount . Go to the parks but not Disney Springs? discount. I feel each subscriber will be targeted differently based on the data Disney has on you. And it will likely be location and time based. Walk into Pandora? Lightning lane discount of 25%off pops up for Flight of Passage.

Currently, you may get the odd 25% off hotel room or cruise offer via email but you are probably more likely to use those promos if you paid a fee to be part of a program. Like Costco or Prime people feel they have to shop more to justify their monthly/annual fee.
This is a very possible scenario! Maybe I’ll get lucky and Disney will think my upcoming expenditure on a vacation will be a trend(it definitely won’t be lol) and try to entice me back ;)

Another money-making change at WDW MK

https://www.thestreet.com/investing...change-walt-would-hate?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

Disney World Makes a Huge Change Walt Would Hate​

The theme park has big plans to add something that the company's founder was opposed to.
Walt Disney, the man behind his namesake company had a very specific vision of family fun. His early movies were all G-rated, making them accessible to the whole family with no fear that anything would veer into the adult space or anything even close to it.

The man behind the Walt Disney (DIS) company knew what he liked, what he wanted, and that vision extended to Disneyland when it opened in 1955. Disney's founder did not believe that certain things had a place in his company's theme park.

That included gum, ice cream, and cotton candy -- not because he didn't think those were family-friendly, but because their stickiness made keeping Disneyland clean a challenge. He was right, of course, but ice cream and cotton candy did eventually become Disney theme park staples. But there was one area the original head of the Mouse House drew a line in the sand that outlived him for decades.

“No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it,” he said in a famous Saturday Evening Post interview.

That no alcohol philosophy carried over into the company's second theme park. Magic Kingdom, now part of the Disney World family of parks in Florida did not serve alcohol at all for many years, and now only offers it on a limited basis.

Part of that ban, however, is about to change.

Disney has kept Magic Kingdom largely, but not completely dry. You can't buy alcohol of any type while walking around the park. You can, however, buy some alcoholic beverages in certain sit-down restaurants in the theme park.

"At the Magic Kingdom, you can only buy alcohol at select table service restaurants, and the only alcohol available at those locations is beer, wine, and hard cider – there are no spirits available. You may find a cocktail-like variation on the 'only beer/wine/cider' rule (sangria, for example), but you won’t find drinks containing vodka, rum, whiskey, tequila, or the like," TouringPlans.com explained.

There's bit of hypocrisy to this policy as Epcot, the second theme park to open at Disney World built much of its World Showcase around the idea of sampling drinks from different countries. And, while "Drink the World" is no an official Disney concept, alcohol is very much a part of the Epcot experience.

You can also get drinks of all types while walking around the park at both Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. That still won't be possible at Magic Kingdom -- alcohol will remain limited to sit-down restaurants, but a new report from WDW News Today makes it clear that hard liquor is finally coming to the Magic Kingdom.

Magic Kingdom has always been a bit of a throwback that trades on nostalgia more than it does cutting-edge innovation. Many of its signature attractions including the "Haunted Mansion," "Pirates of the Caribbean," and even its roller coasters, "Space Mountain," and "Big Thunder Mountain Railroad" are relics. They're fun, but they don't equal the newer rides being offered at the company's other parks.

In addition, Magic Kingdom still plays to kids and families more than the other three parks in Florida do. Meet-and-greets, parades, and shows are a big part of the experience there and it's easy to see why restrictions on alcohol remain.

But, the idea of serving a limited menu of drinks even in sit-down restaurants seems like the company actively curtailing its own profits. Because of that, Disney plans to add “'elevated' beverage options joining cocktail menus at some Magic Kingdom table service restaurants starting September 13," the website reported.

This will include Liberty Tree Tavern, Jungle Navigation Co. LTD Skipper Canteen, and Diamond Horseshoe all having their own signature drinks, as well as presumably a full bar. Disney has not commented on whether it plans to offer a full bar and/or a selection of specialty drinks at other Magic Kingdom sit-down restaurants.

Another money-making change at WDW MK

https://www.thestreet.com/investing...change-walt-would-hate?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

Disney World Makes a Huge Change Walt Would Hate​

The theme park has big plans to add something that the company's founder was opposed to.
Walt Disney, the man behind his namesake company had a very specific vision of family fun. His early movies were all G-rated, making them accessible to the whole family with no fear that anything would veer into the adult space or anything even close to it.

The man behind the Walt Disney (DIS) company knew what he liked, what he wanted, and that vision extended to Disneyland when it opened in 1955. Disney's founder did not believe that certain things had a place in his company's theme park.

That included gum, ice cream, and cotton candy -- not because he didn't think those were family-friendly, but because their stickiness made keeping Disneyland clean a challenge. He was right, of course, but ice cream and cotton candy did eventually become Disney theme park staples. But there was one area the original head of the Mouse House drew a line in the sand that outlived him for decades.

“No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it,” he said in a famous Saturday Evening Post interview.

That no alcohol philosophy carried over into the company's second theme park. Magic Kingdom, now part of the Disney World family of parks in Florida did not serve alcohol at all for many years, and now only offers it on a limited basis.

Part of that ban, however, is about to change.

Disney has kept Magic Kingdom largely, but not completely dry. You can't buy alcohol of any type while walking around the park. You can, however, buy some alcoholic beverages in certain sit-down restaurants in the theme park.

"At the Magic Kingdom, you can only buy alcohol at select table service restaurants, and the only alcohol available at those locations is beer, wine, and hard cider – there are no spirits available. You may find a cocktail-like variation on the 'only beer/wine/cider' rule (sangria, for example), but you won’t find drinks containing vodka, rum, whiskey, tequila, or the like," TouringPlans.com explained.

There's bit of hypocrisy to this policy as Epcot, the second theme park to open at Disney World built much of its World Showcase around the idea of sampling drinks from different countries. And, while "Drink the World" is no an official Disney concept, alcohol is very much a part of the Epcot experience.

You can also get drinks of all types while walking around the park at both Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. That still won't be possible at Magic Kingdom -- alcohol will remain limited to sit-down restaurants, but a new report from WDW News Today makes it clear that hard liquor is finally coming to the Magic Kingdom.

Magic Kingdom has always been a bit of a throwback that trades on nostalgia more than it does cutting-edge innovation. Many of its signature attractions including the "Haunted Mansion," "Pirates of the Caribbean," and even its roller coasters, "Space Mountain," and "Big Thunder Mountain Railroad" are relics. They're fun, but they don't equal the newer rides being offered at the company's other parks.

In addition, Magic Kingdom still plays to kids and families more than the other three parks in Florida do. Meet-and-greets, parades, and shows are a big part of the experience there and it's easy to see why restrictions on alcohol remain.

But, the idea of serving a limited menu of drinks even in sit-down restaurants seems like the company actively curtailing its own profits. Because of that, Disney plans to add “'elevated' beverage options joining cocktail menus at some Magic Kingdom table service restaurants starting September 13," the website reported.

This will include Liberty Tree Tavern, Jungle Navigation Co. LTD Skipper Canteen, and Diamond Horseshoe all having their own signature drinks, as well as presumably a full bar. Disney has not commented on whether it plans to offer a full bar and/or a selection of specialty drinks at other Magic Kingdom sit-down restaurants.
Yawn. Yet another story about what Walt would have done. Has anybody noticed that we haven't heard from Walt in ~55 years?

Yawn. Yet another story about what Walt would have done. Has anybody noticed that we haven't heard from Walt in ~55 years?

I think the bigger picture is that it's clear this is no longer about legacy, the guest or the experience. Not that this wasn't clear already, but each step has made Disney no different than any other corporation.

Killing the magic is going to kill their work force as well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...power-day-1-record-viewing-amazon-1235211790/

Amazon Claims First-Day Record Audience for ‘Rings of Power’​

The tech giant's Prime Video streaming service attaches a number to its programming for the first time.
September 3, 2022 2:39pm

Amazon says The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power was its biggest series debut ever — and for the first time ever, the company’s Prime Video streaming service has actually released a viewing tally.

The company says 25 million people worldwide watched The Rings of Power on its first day of release (it debuted at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT Thursday in the United States). Prime Video says that is the service’s top premiere ever.

As for context, there’s little to go on: Prime Video reps declined to say whether that’s an average viewership worldwide on day one, the number of people who watched at least a few minutes of the series, or something else. Nor is there any indication of how much bigger The Rings of Power was than the previous record holder on Prime Video (or what that show was).

Prime Video says the series launched in some 240 territories worldwide. Dividing 25 million by that number would average out to a little more than 104,000 viewers per territory (though certainly significantly higher than that in more populous countries). A rosier spin would be to note that Amazon has about 200 million Prime members worldwide who have access to Prime Video streaming. That would mean one in eight Prime members checked out The Rings of Power on its first day.

“It is somehow fitting that [J.R.R.] Tolkien’s stories — among the most popular of all time, and what many consider to be the true origin of the fantasy genre — have led us to this proud moment,” Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke said in a statement. “I am so grateful to the Tolkien Estate — and to our showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, executive producer Lindsey Weber, cast and crew — for their tireless collaborative efforts and boundless creative energy. And it is the tens of millions of fans watching — clearly as passionate about Middle-earth as we are — who are our true measure of success.”

Further context on the show’s performance will come in over the next several weeks. Some third-party analytics companies are likely to release their figures after the weekend, which will offer points of comparison to other recent releases (including HBO’s House of the Dragon, the other big fantasy series to debut in the past couple of weeks). The first Nielsen streaming figures for The Rings of Power will arrive in about four weeks, unless the ratings service does a rush report sooner.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220906005894/en/

The Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Chapek to Participate in the Goldman Sachs 2022 Communacopia + Technology Conference

September 06, 2022 01:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Bob Chapek, Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS), will participate in a question-and-answer session at the Goldman Sachs 2022 Communacopia + Technology Conference on Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at approximately 5:00 p.m. ET/ 2:00 p.m. PT.
To stream live, please visit www.disney.com/investors. A recording of the question-and-answer session will be archived on our website.

Contacts

Alexia Quadrani
Investor Relations
(818) 560-6601

David Jefferson
Corporate Communications
(818) 560-4832

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter