DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

From the previous post by @wabbott :
"(c) Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution had made platform distribution decisions based not on consumer preference, consumer behavior, or the desire to maximize the size of the audience for the content as represented, but based on the desire to hide the full costs of building Disney+'s content library;" [bolding mine]

Can anyone guess why the CFO was allowed to gracefully exit under FMLA?

From the previous post by @wabbott :
"(c) Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution had made platform distribution decisions based not on consumer preference, consumer behavior, or the desire to maximize the size of the audience for the content as represented, but based on the desire to hide the full costs of building Disney+'s content library;" [bolding mine]

Can anyone guess why the CFO was allowed to gracefully exit under FMLA?
My understanding is that this is why McCarthy rallied to have Chapek removed as CEO. She knew about it and she did take action.

Her leaving DIS may or may not have anything to do with the accounting of DIS+ losses.... but I think it is fair to read bw the lines and realize she could be shrapnel from the Chapek fallout.

I am not well versed in the amortization of digital content and am unsure what it means for the content that was removed. I would assume they can not just put the content back on the service right away but can the license it away? Or will it have to sit in a vault locked away until the time the content would have been fully amortized.
Thanks for the rest of this post. In terms of amortization of digital content, once they decide that the content has no value, then the remaining unamortized cost would have to be written off. Part of that calculation would have to include some offset for what might be considered "salvage".

My understanding is that this is why McCarthy rallied to have Chapek removed as CEO. She knew about it and she did take action.

Her leaving DIS may or may not have anything to do with the accounting of DIS+ losses.... but I think it is fair to read bw the lines and realize she could be shrapnel from the Chapek fallout.
Between her comments, being tied to overthrowing Chapek, and being tied into this lawsuit there was no way for her to remain a viable candidate for CEO. It was probably you can remain CFO but that’s about all we’re going to give you. Add in the FMLA and she gets to step down somewhat amicably with the company.

Thanks for the rest of this post. In terms of amortization of digital content, once they decide that the content has no value, then the remaining unamortized cost would have to be written off. Part of that calculation would have to include some offset for what might be considered "salvage".
So as long as they include some "salvage" value, they can turn around and license it immediately?

So as long as they include some "salvage" value, they can turn around and license it immediately?
I don't think having a salvage value or not would have any effect on their ability to license it. They would still own the IP.

I don't think having a salvage value or not would have any effect on their ability to license it. They would still own the IP.
Understood. So there would be no restrictions on using them to generate revenue? @bryaalre was speculating that there might be some rules on that.
By writing all of it off, then turning right around and generating recurring revenue from it, it sure seems like you are artificially moving costs around between periods to gain some advantage. No?
I would assume they can not just put the content back on the service right away but can the license it away? Or will it have to sit in a vault locked away until the time the content would have been fully amortized.

Understood. So there would be no restrictions on using them to generate revenue? @bryaalre was speculating that there might be some rules on that.
By writing all of it off, then turning right around and generating recurring revenue from it, it sure seems like you are artificially moving costs around between periods to gain some advantage. No?

Ernst and Young has a good summary on a pdf on their site about the topic. - I googled amortizing digital content and it was the first hit. I did not include the link as it downloaded the pdf and was not sure people would want to download the pdf automatically.

After doing some research, the E&Y pdf helps summarizes some main points with digital content, licensed and self distributed. They make reference to a few different Accounting Standard Codifications (ASC) in ASC 920 and ASC 926.

I read the info from E&Y and skimmed ASC 926. I would need to read more of the sub topics related to the code and regulations to provide a detailed answer.

Maybe in my spare time I'll do it as I went to college for accounting and this does interest me. But as someone who is excited for Spider Man 2 to release on PS5 in a few months, I am currently replaying Spider Man 1 and am sparse on time to go down this rabbit hole.

Last edited:
https://www.ft.com/content/b50259e7...traffic/partner/feed_headline/us_yahoo/auddev

Pixar flop shows Walt Disney struggling to revive the magic
Marvel and Pixar films were pushed hard during the pandemic to feed the company’s streaming service
Christopher Grimes in Los Angeles - 6/21/23

In 2019, Walt Disney released seven films that each grossed more than $1bn at the global box office — a remarkable feat built on Bob Iger’s string of studio acquisitions during his first 15-year tenure as chief executive. Disney’s film studios were “on fire”, said Jessica Reif Ehrlich, an analyst at Bank of America.

“Bob came up with a branded film strategy and for 10 years or longer, no other studio could compete with them.” Now, however, Iger must deal with questions about whether the creative spark is starting to flicker at Disney’s studios, including the box office powerhouses Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm.

“The creative engines are just not working,” said Rich Greenfield of LightShed Partners, an investment research group. “And the challenge with the movie business is that there’s no quick fix.”

Last weekend’s disappointing box office performance by Pixar’s Elemental — a story about forbidden love between characters made of water and fire — crystallised the sense that Disney’s studios had fallen into a rut. Elemental has had positive reaction from critics and audiences, but the film brought in under $30mn in the US box office on its opening weekend — a significant shortfall for a movie with an estimated $200mn budget.

This poor showing has sounded alarms following the underwhelming performance of last year’s Lightyear, a Toy Story prequel that grossed only a quarter of the previous instalment of the franchise.

Ehrlich said: “It’s been a while since there’s been something like a Toy Story, something extraordinary that’s original and that really hits everybody.”

Iger was pulled out of retirement in November to help re-set the company’s course after his successor, Bob Chapek was forced out following a dispute with Florida governor Ron DeSantis and ballooning losses in its streaming business. He has restructured the company to hand power back to creative executives, and last week Disney pushed out the release dates of a number of films — including those in the Avatar and Star Wars franchises.

But with less than 18 months left of his two-year contract, Greenfield asks if Iger will have time to revive the Disney magic.

“Everything at Disney flows from its creative excellence, whether that’s the theme parks, whether that’s consumer products, whether that’s Disney Plus,” he said. “More than any company, Disney is tied to its creative output, and that output just is not performing — and it’s not clear what’s wrong.”

Company executives acknowledged Elemental’s performance was disappointing but rejected the notion that Disney has hit a creative slump. They noted the strong US performance this spring of the live action version of The Little Mermaid and said they have high hopes for upcoming films including Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, The Marvels and Wish.

Marvel movies continued to draw large audiences, they added. But the Elemental box office has drawn unfavourable comparisons with recent animated films released by Illumination studios, co-owned by Universal.

Illumination’s The Super Mario Bros Movie, released April 5, has grossed $1.3bn worldwide, and its Minions: The Rise of Gru, has raked in $940mn since its release last year. Pixar is under the leadership of Pete Docter, an Oscar-winning animator who started at the company in 1990. He has said Pixar is at work on a number of sequels, including Toy Story 5 and a follow-up to Inside Out.

Inside and outside Disney there is a sense that key brands, particularly Marvel but also Star Wars and Pixar, were pushed too hard to feed the company’s streaming service Disney Plus. During the pandemic, three Pixar features were released straight to Disney Plus, angering employees who say this conditioned audiences to think its films did not need to be seen in a cinema.

“The question is how much of this is overuse,” Greenfield said. “Is it trying to force everything on to Disney Plus with a series? Did they go too far with Marvel and Lucasfilm, diluting the power of the movie franchises by introducing all these [streaming] shows?”

After Disney bought Marvel in 2009, it spawned franchises that have produced dozens of movies and raked in tens of billions of dollars, making it the most successful hit engine in Hollywood. Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame, released in 2019, made an astounding $2.8bn and is the second highest-grossing film in history. But Marvel’s record has been mixed more recently.

There have been two hits — Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever — along with a miss, Ant Man: QuantumMania. Earlier this year, Iger said there was nothing “inherently off in terms of the Marvel brand” but suggested Disney needed to be more judicious about sequels.

“What we have to look at at Marvel is not necessarily the volume of Marvel storytelling, but how many times we go back to the well on certain characters,” he told a media conference in March. “Sequels typically work well for us, but do you need a third or a fourth?”

The same goes for the Star Wars films, which are under the supervision of Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy. Iger said: “We still are developing Star Wars films. We’re going to make sure that when we make one, that it’s the right one, so we are being very careful there.”

For Greenfield, the question is whether audiences are ready for Disney to branch out in new directions, instead of relying on its, admittedly valuable, library of intellectual property.

“If you look back over the last decade and Iger’s entire first run, the improvement year by year and the franchise growth was incredible,” he said. “And I think the question now is, have they gone to that well too many times? Do they need to create new IP?”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...uster-philippines-racist-backlash-1235521433/

‘The Little Mermaid’ Becomes a Blockbuster in the Philippines Amid Racist Backlash Elsewhere in Asia

The live-action remake is the biggest film of 2023 in the Southeast Asian country: "They really loved Halle Bailey's performance as Ariel," says Disney's head of studios in APAC, John Hsu.
June 22, 2023 12:03am PDT
By Patrick Brzeski

The Little Mermaid may have bombed in some key movie markets in Asia, but in the Philippines, it has been a splashy success. Disney’s live-action remake of its 1989 animated classic is currently the biggest blockbuster of the year in the Southeast Asian country, having earned $5.8 million and surpassed Hollywood’s two biggest global hits of the year: Universal’s The Super Mario Bros. Movie ($2.2 million) and Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 ($4.7 million).

“The Philippines, obviously, is a standout market for us,” says John Hsu, Disney’s senior vp studio business in Asia Pacific. “It’s rare, but it’s the biggest territory for The Little Mermaid in Southeast Asia by far, our third highest-grossing market in Asia-Pacific behind Australia and Japan, and our 11th highest-grossing territory globally,” he says.

Elsewhere in Asia, the picture hasn’t been so bright. In the vastly larger markets of China and South Korea, The Little Mermaid has majorly underperformed amid a racist backlash on social media over the casting of Black actress Halle Bailey in the role of Ariel. The film has earned just $3.6 million in China and $5 million in South Korea — a fraction of what other Disney live-action remakes have grossed there. The Jungle Book (2016) and The Lion King (2019) were outright blockbusters in China, earning $150 million and $120 million. In South Korea, Aladdin (2019) took $91 million and Beauty and the Beast (2017) brought in $37.5 million. Disney has declined to comment on The Little Mermaid‘s performance in those countries.

In the Philippines, not only were such negative elements absent, but Bailey’s performance was widely embraced by Filipino filmgoers, according to Hsu. “They really loved Halle Bailey’s performance as Ariel, and they really liked her as the new princess,” he says.

The Little Mermaid is a notable standout for the Philippines market this year,” says Rance Pow, president of Artisan Gateway, an exhibition industry consultancy specializing in Asia. Pow points out that the film is doing better than any other Hollywood fare this year, but it still won’t reach the heights of other Disney live-action remakes released in the Philippines pre-COVID — Aladdin earned $11 million there, and The Lion King took $10.2 million.

“This might be because the Philippines is still re-ramping,” as the theatrical market continues to recover post-COVID, Pow says.

In the U.S., The Little Mermaid has been doing good business despite protestations by some regarding Bailey’s casting. The movie has earned north of $257 million since its May 24 release. Box office analysts believe it could top out at $350 million domestically, close to Aladdin’s domestic haul of $355.6 million.

Hsu sees several other contributors to The Little Mermaid‘s outsize success in the Philippines: the country’s youthful demographics, strong nostalgia in the market for the original Disney animation, and an abiding love of music and singing that runs deep through Filipino culture. And he credits Disney’s Philippines-based marketing team for leaning into these factors to mount an especially effective campaign for the film.

“The did a comprehensive campaign across all media, but they really focussed on social media, leaning into the music, nostalgia and Princess Ariel,” he says, noting that Bailey’s rendition of “Part of Your World,” the lead single from The Little Mermaid soundtrack, hit number one on Spotify in the Philippines and has over 13 million plays there.

“Post-COVID, Internet usage in the Philippines has increased significantly,” he adds. “So the team went very heavy on TikTok, recruiting influencers to promote the film by performing their own versions of Ariel’s songs. That really drove awareness and word of mouth for the film, which culminated in the strong opening.”

Some of the viral comedic posts created by Filipino TikTok influencers, using the branded Little Mermaid effect created by Disney, are below. Elsewhere in the Manila area, fan enthusiasm manifested in moviegoers dressing up in mermaid and merman cosplay to attend special screenings of the film.

So with the two senior level executives leaving in one week, what is driving this?
- Iger is cleaning house?
- People are jumping off a sinking ship?
- Nothing, just a weird coincidence?

Last edited:
So with the two senior level executives leaving in one week, what is driving this?
- Iger is cleaning house?
- People are jumping off a sinking ship?
- Nothing, just a weir coincidence?

I think the first one. The company is where it is right now becuase of senior leadership. I expect more to leave and some others to be brought in - or possibly BACK in from before the last regime-change.

I think the first one. The company is where it is right now becuase of senior leadership. I expect more to leave and some others to be brought in - or possibly BACK in from before the last regime-change.
Yeah, that is likely my guess also. I think Iger is just trying to pull the right levers to turn things around.

Yeah, that is likely my guess also. I think Iger is just trying to pull the right levers to turn things around.
It all circles back around to who will be the next CEO? Time is ticking. Disney has always been really really bad at succession planning. Rightly or wrongly, we now have Iger's vision instilled back in the company. I am not sure how much time they spend on succession planning but I sure hope the front-runners are on the same page.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...ead-reckoning-box-office-tracking-1235521598/

Tom Cruise’s ‘Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning, Part One’ Sprinting Toward Franchise-Best $90M Opening
Cruise returns as Ethan Hunt in Paramount and Skydance's July tentpole, which opens three weeks from now.
By Pamela McClintock
June 22, 2023 9:09am PDT

Tom Cruise’s Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning, Part One is tracking for a franchise-best opening in the $90 million range at the domestic box office in its first five days, a huge start for the July tentpole. And there’s plenty of upside, according to polling.

Cruise is in Europe this week for the Rome and London premieres of the movie. The Paramount and Skydance film begins opening in cinemas across the globe three weeks from now, including Wednesday, July 12, in North America.
The $90 million projection includes a three-day weekend estimate of $65 million or more.

The latest installment in the famous action franchise is expected to be another win for Cruise after Paramount and Skydance blockbuster Top Gun: Maverick, which grossed nearly $1.5 billion at the worldwide box office last year despite ongoing challenges posed by the pandemic. Box office pundits believe moviegoers view the new Mission: Impossible pic as a sort-of spiritual sequel to Maverick, even though the two movies aren’t part of the same franchise.

In terms of the Mission series, 2018’s Mission: Impossible — Fallout holds the record for top three-day weekend opening ($61.2 million) at the domestic box office, followed by 2000’s Mission: Impossible II ($57.8 million), 2015’s Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation ($55.5 million), 2006’s Mission: Impossible III ($47.7 million), 1996’s Mission: Impossible ($45.4 million) and 2011’s Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol ($12.8 million), not adjusted for inflation.

Cruise is a favorite of cinema owners for promoting theatrical over streaming. His was also lauded by Steven Spielberg for his efforts. “You saved Hollywood’s ***, and you might have saved theatrical distribution,” Spielberg told Cruise during a private exchange at the 2023 Oscars luncheon that a bystander captured on video. “Seriously, Maverick might have saved the entire theatrical industry.”

Dead Reckoning, Part One is directed by Cruise good-luck charm Christopher McQuarrie, who has directed the star in a number of his films. McQuarrie also helms Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning, Part Two, which is set to open June 28, 2024.

Footage screened at CinemaCon in late April included an inventive chase scene in which Cruise’s Ethan Hunt is handcuffed to Hayley Atwell’s Grace as they flee police and multiple factions of people who want them, most notably a character played by Pom Klementieff, whose most frightening feature is how much she seems to enjoy the chase and its ensuing mayhem.

In years past, Cruise debuted stunts from previous movies, such as hanging from the side of a plane, skydiving or jumping a motorbike off a cliff in Norway.

Other stars in Dead Reckoning include Rebecca Ferguson, Ving Rhames, Henry Czerny, Simon Pegg, Vanessa Kirby, Angela Bassett, Cary Elwes, Indira Varma, Rob Delaney and Charles Parnell.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news...l-film-tv-music-publishing-assets-1235652398/

Warner Bros. Discovery Negotiating $500 Million Deal to Sell Film and TV Music Publishing Assets
Jun 22, 2023 12:44pm PDT
By Jim Aswad

Warner Bros. Discovery is negotiating to sell around half of the storied Warner studio’s film and TV music-publishing assets for approximately $500 million, three sources confirm to Variety. The news was first reported by Hits.

While it is unclear exactly which assets are on the table, one source says that the rights to “slightly less than half” of the catalog, with a price of around $500 million, are likely to go to a major label, with Sony said to be in the lead. The catalog is believed to include music from such films as “Purple Rain,” “Evita,” “Sweeney Todd,” “Rent” several “Batman” films and many more titles, as well as songs included in films such as “As Time Goes By” from “Casablanca” — iconic titles to be sure, but again, it is unclear exactly which rights are in play. Top attorney Allen Grubman is said to be overseeing the deal for Warner Discovery CEO David Zaslav.

However, some observers cast a skeptical eye on the deal, saying that many of the company’s assets are more than a half-century old and are “declining” in value and difficult to exploit. They are said to consist largely of film themes and cues — with comparatively few conventional songs — that would seem to have little familiarity or resonance in the present or future. The catalog is currently under a multi-year administration deal with Universal Music Publishing.

Reps for Warner Discovery, Sony and Universal either declined or did not respond to Variety‘s requests for comment.

If reports are accurate, the deal would be a welcome one for the company and its investors at a tumultuous time that includes a writers strike that has crippled Hollywood and 100 layoffs across its Discovery and Turner brands (with more expected in the coming months), not to mention Zaslav’s recent firing of his personally selected CNN CEO Chris Licht after just one year, and the network’s controversial town hall with former president Donald Trump.

The windfall from such a sale — coming at the top of a still-booming market for music catalogs — would help the company to pay down a $49.5 billion debt.

The report also comes amid a drastically changing environment for the television business as a whole. Domestic cable channels — including Discovery, TNT, TBS, TLC, HGTV, Food Network and CNN — were once the envy of the industry in terms of viewership and profitability. But the fast-changing pay TV marketplace and the rise of on-demand streaming has upended the reliable cable TV earnings power that made the former Time Warner a dynamo in the 1990s and early 2000s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter