disabilities assistance Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our last trip in March of this year it took months to finally convince my DH to let me rent a scooter for him. He doesn't "look sick" but he has Diffuse Systemic Scleroderma and has had it for more than 15 years. Due to SSC he has developed lung fibrosis (shattered glass looking on imaging) and cannot manage much walking at any typical speed for long without becoming so out of breath he starts coughing, sometimes to the point of vomiting. This has been going on for YEARS, but he was very resistant to getting the scooter, in part due to what other people might say/think. My stepmother broke her little toe less than a week before our trip and I ended up renting another scooter for her to use when she needed it.

Because neither of them felt they "needed" the scooter all the time, there were occasions when my DD(16) used it or I even I used it. She has issues with her ankles and hips for a myriad of reasons that make it painful for her to walk long distances, some stemming from a femur fracture when she was 3. (Ironically, she was trying to stand on a DIsney Princess ball when she fell and broke her leg.) We didn't anticipate our DD needing the scooter, so we were very glad we arranged for two. But the looks we got sometimes, especially when trying to load on the buses, because DD would get off the scooter have one of us adults load it as they can be difficult to maneuver, were pretty harsh and DD hated those looks. :(

I’ve encountered a few nasty people in the parks. However, most have been nice. Keyboard bullies are the ones who say the meanest things. I decided a long time ago to not care if they think I’m abusing it. My family and I know what’s going on. I was a nurse for many years and have seen people who are terminally ill who would get the “looks” for using a scooter. My skin’s grown a little thicker over the years, and I‘ve decided to enjoy myself in spite of bullies, whether in Disney, on a cruise, or just shopping. Doesn’t mean I won’t call them out for being judgmental.

I use an ECV at WDW but not at home. My badly arthritic knees cannot take that much walking. However I can park and walk some - even into some attractions back when there was FP. I don't know what advantage I got other than being able to sit - most lines are mainstreamed. I've waited longer when I needed to stay in the ECV up until boarding. It's not obvious how painful my knees are after walking. I try not to judge anyone I see with a DAS or WC/ECV because I know there are many hidden disabilities. I can't tell it affects my vacation.

Maybe more people like me are likely to do a Disney vacation because they can use an ECV? I know it's the only vacation I enjoy anymore because everywhere we try to go the walking keeps me up in pain much of the night - and I don't get to see all the things I want to see in the daytime.

I think the handicap parking and support animals are things that exist everywhere and not just Disney so I don't know that the abuse of them is greater there.

**edited to add that one thing they "used to go out of the way" was to help those with food allergies - the chefs would come out, etc. However now they have done a great job of making it easier to see what allergens are in what food (for major allergens). It's nice not to have to call in advance to arrange meals, etc. like I used to have to do for one of my kids. Rather than curtailing the food service, I think they've made it easier to access the information.
As an FYI, we had multiple people come speak to us last week in regards to my mom and her red wine allergy. Either a manager, another waiter or waitress, or a host. Never got a chef. But they still do take care of allergies very well. It was refreshing to see.

As an FYI, we had multiple people come speak to us last week in regards to my mom and her red wine allergy. Either a manager, another waiter or waitress, or a host. Never got a chef. But they still do take care of allergies very well. It was refreshing to see.
DH and I both have a sensitivity to items cooked with Alcohol, things like Vanilla Extract are ok given the minimal amounts involved, but if it is an ingredient, say cooking Sherry or such, then it is a major issue and can take us down for the rest of the day and/or part of the next day.

There are times where we have thought something was safe and felt the effects afterward, so we went back and asked and sure enough, every time (it is a very distinct feeling, especially for DH) the item in question contained alcohol. It would be really nice if this was listed on the list of allergens, as this is actually more common than many think. Additionally, people who are recovering alcoholics should not have items cooked with alcohol, as it can set them back. Children also shouldn't have items cooked with alcohol, as most people believe it cooks off, but that isn't actually true, only about 60%-80% cooks off.

This is an area where Disney does fail miserably on both coasts, for example at Plaza Inn at Disneyland, the Alfredo Sauce and the Beef Gravy both contain alcohol. I only know this because a CM friend of ours works there and told us. Then at dinner when we asked about a particular dish at Cafe Orleans (which has about 6 items on the menu right now), the server had no clue and took about 10 minutes to find out, then ordered something else and they didn't check it. Now in this case, I blame the server, but in the first case, who would think to ask about Alfredo Sauce (which should literally be butter and parmesan cheese, maybe some garlic) or about beef gravy? Luckily, even before DH knew about the gravy, he would always ask for the Chicken gravy, as he likes the flavor better, so it always worked out and our CM friend was questioning why he was always ok ordering the pot roast when the beef gravy had alcohol, then we figured it out.

I just left Disney after a three day hopper. I was shocked at the amount of individuals using scooters. Didn’t seem to make much sense. Although most were obese. Shame people abuse the system when there are those that truly need it.

What is it about using a scooter that makes you think someone is "abusing the system"? Scooter users don't go to the head of any line, usually have to wait for a bus if there is another scooter already in line, etc. How is that abusing anything?

I just left Disney after a three day hopper. I was shocked at the amount of individuals using scooters. Didn’t seem to make much sense. Although most were obese. Shame people abuse the system when there are those that truly need it.
I will be renting a scooter for my November trip. I will be 22 weeks pregnant and because I am tall I "look" overweight when I am in fact pregnant. I also had spine surgery and standing still causes severe pain when not pregnant. Add pregnancy to the mix and it is a lot. I can stand and walk just fine, but for my own comfort will be using the scooter. I had a broken foot in Disney before and the only rides I had any "benefits" to were Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain and Spaceship Earth. Only ride I can go on this time is SE, so there will not be any huge advantage for me.

I will be renting a scooter for my November trip. I will be 22 weeks pregnant and because I am tall I "look" overweight when I am in fact pregnant. I also had spine surgery and standing still causes severe pain when not pregnant. Add pregnancy to the mix and it is a lot. I can stand and walk just fine, but for my own comfort will be using the scooter. I had a broken foot in Disney before and the only rides I had any "benefits" to were Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain and Spaceship Earth. Only ride I can go on this time is SE, so there will not be any huge advantage for me.

Don’t worry about what people may say. Honestly, I’ve found most people in the parks are very nice. The worst part is they don’t see you in the scooter/wheelchair so you have to drive at a crawl to not hit anyone.

The few looks/comments I’ve gotten have mostly been other places than WDW. I’ve dealt with many more keyboard bullies about Disney than in person. It will make the trip doable. Have a great time!

I recently returned from WDW and rented a scooter two days out of seven. Yes, I am fluffy, but also suffer from a long-term injury that makes it difficult to walk all day. No special access and I usually parked the scooter outside of the ride queues. Made the trip bearable.

The few looks/comments I’ve gotten have mostly been other places than WDW. I’ve dealt with many more keyboard bullies about Disney than in person. It will make the trip doable. Have a great time!
Thank you! Both my doctor and family (mom, MIL and SIL are nurses) think this is the best decision for me, it will help me enjoy my trip. The pregnancy was planned but unexpected (we had infertility with our first and were expecting the same with this one), so was not expecting to be pregnant on this trip.

Thank you! Both my doctor and family (mom, MIL and SIL are nurses) think this is the best decision for me, it will help me enjoy my trip. The pregnancy was planned but unexpected (we had infertility with our first and were expecting the same with this one), so was not expecting to be pregnant on this trip.

You’re very welcome. Have a great trip.

I am assuming you are renting offsite but in case you are not remember as of now no trams in parking lots so it can be either a long walk to car or bus at end of day. something to think about if park renting. congrats on the new addition

I am assuming you are renting offsite but in case you are not remember as of now no trams in parking lots so it can be either a long walk to car or bus at end of day. something to think about if park renting. congrats on the new addition
Yes we are renting from Gold Mobility. When I had my broken foot back in 2015 it was hard to get a scooter at MK, they were all out for the day by the time I got to the park. Thank you for the tip though! We also rented a minivan. We prepared this time around lol! And thank you! We are very excited!

Yes we are renting from Gold Mobility. When I had my broken foot back in 2015 it was hard to get a scooter at MK, they were all out for the day by the time I got to the park. Thank you for the tip though! We also rented a minivan. We prepared this time around lol! And thank you! We are very excited!
We loved working with Gold Mobility. They were very easy to work with when our flights were delayed, then the line for the DME was longer so our arrival was a few hours later than anticipated.

Judgment, verbal attacks, foul language--this current transition phase from FP+ to Disney Genie--Genie +/IAS is especially difficult for DAS users in this regard due to the fact that they are pretty much the only ones using the "Lightning Lanes". For some reason, guests in the Standby lines feel it's open season to freely express themselves (and their ignorance). Traveling with friends on my most recent trip for the 50th, we did not use a DAS but when I travel with my family, we've used one since DAS was established. I have no issue with the ridiculous comments I hear as I walk through the line--they roll right off--however, whenever an adult directs their frustration, rage, impatience at a child--I have no tolerance. Adults know, or should know better, than to verbally accost a child. People see others moving quickly through the line and either forget or don't realize: A) that you still had to check in and wait the same time that they have; B) often times it is a collective effort to engage, distract, calm a loved one (and sometimes those idle time periods can create some of the most difficult challenges--so yes, often times these "waiting periods" are spent doing something different--maintaining structure, focus, and attention is the goal); C) they are seeing a brief, passing moment in time--they did not see what just happened when someone just brushed up against my family member as we were walking up to the attraction cue; D) they have no idea what others go through or struggle with or battle to overcome both inside and outside of DisneyWorld everyday; and E) realize how many return times go unused--because, frankly, it just wasn't meant to be that day.
In our particular situation, we did seek out a DAS. A wonderful CM at Animal Kingdom noticed what I'll call "some commotion" one morning and upon further investigation and communication--was able to expertly assist in de-escalating a situation--he then instructed us to go to Guest Services to register. I'm hopeful that once others are using the lightning lanes again--DAS users and their families will encounter much less of the aggressive behavior from other guests.
In terms of DAS abuse--does it happen? Oh, definitely--I'm not naive--it's also not just a DAS specific issue--I've seen a family show up at a bus stop at HS with one family member in a scooter. They complained and threatened the driver until he emptied the already loaded bus. At this point, their entire party of 18 people got on board--no joking--18 people. Then back at the resort--I witnessed that same family playing tackle football 15 minutes later, including the person who was in the scooter. There will always be those who cut corners, cheat a little here and there, and do what they can to get theirs. I can waste my energy getting frustrated and angry or I can just let it go--that's my choice. So, when I see a seemingly neurotypical child or an adult with no obvious physical impairment walking by in the cue next to me and it's easy to question if this individual truly needs this accommodation or if it is just someone scamming the system--I choose to be empathetic and thankful--grateful that I don't have those struggles.
In terms of Disney researching and investigating those who lie and scam the system--Disney knows a lot more about what we do than most people think--look at the last DAS legal case--they knew where the parties were, their movements throughout the park, how much time they could spend in the park at one time, etc.--remember, no matter what media one uses--we all still have to scan in at attractions--your ticket is always your ticket (well, once it's activated with its first use)--maybe they are going to become a lot more aggressive and intensive about using this data--this may be what they have in mind going forward--who knows? Their verbiage is definitely much stronger than its ever been before--
"What happens if any of the statements made by a Guest in the process of registering for DAS are found to be not true?
If Disney determines that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased annual passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded."

Judgment, verbal attacks, foul language--this current transition phase from FP+ to Disney Genie--Genie +/IAS is especially difficult for DAS users in this regard due to the fact that they are pretty much the only ones using the "Lightning Lanes". For some reason, guests in the Standby lines feel it's open season to freely express themselves (and their ignorance). Traveling with friends on my most recent trip for the 50th, we did not use a DAS but when I travel with my family, we've used one since DAS was established. I have no issue with the ridiculous comments I hear as I walk through the line--they roll right off--however, whenever an adult directs their frustration, rage, impatience at a child--I have no tolerance. Adults know, or should know better, than to verbally accost a child. People see others moving quickly through the line and either forget or don't realize: A) that you still had to check in and wait the same time that they have; B) often times it is a collective effort to engage, distract, calm a loved one (and sometimes those idle time periods can create some of the most difficult challenges--so yes, often times these "waiting periods" are spent doing something different--maintaining structure, focus, and attention is the goal); C) they are seeing a brief, passing moment in time--they did not see what just happened when someone just brushed up against my family member as we were walking up to the attraction cue; D) they have no idea what others go through or struggle with or battle to overcome both inside and outside of DisneyWorld everyday; and E) realize how many return times go unused--because, frankly, it just wasn't meant to be that day.
In our particular situation, we did seek out a DAS. A wonderful CM at Animal Kingdom noticed what I'll call "some commotion" one morning and upon further investigation and communication--was able to expertly assist in de-escalating a situation--he then instructed us to go to Guest Services to register. I'm hopeful that once others are using the lightning lanes again--DAS users and their families will encounter much less of the aggressive behavior from other guests.
In terms of DAS abuse--does it happen? Oh, definitely--I'm not naive--it's also not just a DAS specific issue--I've seen a family show up at a bus stop at HS with one family member in a scooter. They complained and threatened the driver until he emptied the already loaded bus. At this point, their entire party of 18 people got on board--no joking--18 people. Then back at the resort--I witnessed that same family playing tackle football 15 minutes later, including the person who was in the scooter. There will always be those who cut corners, cheat a little here and there, and do what they can to get theirs. I can waste my energy getting frustrated and angry or I can just let it go--that's my choice. So, when I see a seemingly neurotypical child or an adult with no obvious physical impairment walking by in the cue next to me and it's easy to question if this individual truly needs this accommodation or if it is just someone scamming the system--I choose to be empathetic and thankful--grateful that I don't have those struggles.
In terms of Disney researching and investigating those who lie and scam the system--Disney knows a lot more about what we do than most people think--look at the last DAS legal case--they knew where the parties were, their movements throughout the park, how much time they could spend in the park at one time, etc.--remember, no matter what media one uses--we all still have to scan in at attractions--your ticket is always your ticket (well, once it's activated with its first use)--maybe they are going to become a lot more aggressive and intensive about using this data--this may be what they have in mind going forward--who knows? Their verbiage is definitely much stronger than its ever been before--
"What happens if any of the statements made by a Guest in the process of registering for DAS are found to be not true?
If Disney determines that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased annual passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded."
To the point of if something is untrue, thisnis a reminder for those who do need the DAS keep the explanation simple, if they need more details, let the CM ask, but that way you don't inadvertently say something that could be construed as untrue. This way, you get the assistance you actually need based on the truth of what your needs are and don't have issues down the road.

As for the comments, I usually politely point out that the queue is also used for Guest recovery if a ride broke down and if I knownof a specific ride breaking down that day, I may use it as an example and point out some people on the ride could have waited an hour and half to be evacuated (that happened to DH at Grizzly River Run in DCA before, during a 110 degree day), then they usually back down. It is also used for Club 33 members and VIP Tours, but that usually doesn't help much, as that is people paying to skip the lines. I fear Lightning lanes will be viewed in a similar fasion.

Judgment, verbal attacks, foul language--this current transition phase from FP+ to Disney Genie--Genie +/IAS is especially difficult for DAS users in this regard due to the fact that they are pretty much the only ones using the "Lightning Lanes".
Actually, the FP queue (Lightning Lane) is currently in use for at least 5 different categories of park attendees:
  • Guest Recovery FP (may be given for various reasons)
  • Rider Swap
  • DAS
  • VIP Tours
  • Club 33
While I have no definitive stats, I would venture to guess both Rider Swap and Guest Recovery account for more users than DAS.

We loved working with Gold Mobility. They were very easy to work with when our flights were delayed, then the line for the DME was longer so our arrival was a few hours later than anticipated.
I have heard great things! I am arriving on Saturday, but no parks til Tuesday so we are having them deliver the scooter on Monday! Our DD will be 15 months on this trip so between her and my situation we are taking it nice and easy this trip. It will be a new experience for all of us!

I am here now and have been here over a week. I have excellent hearing and usually hear the conversation around me. I have not heard one person say anything about me going through the lightening lane. I don't doubt that some people say things. I just don't think that it is as often as some think it is.

If you saw this cutie in a wheelchair, would you think it was a rented wheelchair to ‘cheat’?
What if she was sitting on a bench, with the wheelchair parked next to her?
View attachment 597674

This is my youngest DD a long time ago in EPCOT by Norway. When she was this age, posed this way in her wheelchair, I actually heard someone say to her companion (loud enough for me to hear) that ”it’s a shame they let people rent wheelchairs just to get ahead in line.” Based on her comments, it was because my daughter was crossing her leg and swinging the top leg.
She and I were sitting on a bench in Germany when I heard 2 guys behind me make the same comments. Apparently, they believed if someone can get out of their wheelchair, they must not be disabled (she didn’t even get out by herself, I lifted her and arranged her leg for her since she can’t cross it herself).

View attachment 597676

What about this picture? Does she look disabled? Or pretending to be disabled?
This picture was taken a few years ago when she was just driving around near an overlook at Kali River Rapids while we waited for her dad and friend to come thru on their raft.
Another person waiting in the area commented to their companion “if people are going to rent a wheelchair to skip lines they shouldn’t try so hard to look disabled.” Apparently, my daughter was doing too good of a job of being disabled.

And, there was a time when one of the people assigned to the same table as my family spent most of the meal complaining about how people using wheelchairs were ruining the parks by getting front of line access. That was one uncomfortable meal.
There are quite a few people who think they can tell by looking whether someone is ‘really disabled‘ or not. If they fail so miserably with someone in a wheelchair, how do they think they can do it for other disabilities without physical signs?

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: My daughter has cerebral palsy and is not able to walk, which she uses a wheelchair for. If her only need was to use the wheelchair in line, she would not need or use DAS.
She has additional disability related needs that are not met by the wheelchair. Those are invisible and are why she uses DAS
I genuinely cannot fathom the mindset of someone who would think any of those thoughts, let alone actually verbalize them.

I am here now and have been here over a week. I have excellent hearing and usually hear the conversation around me. I have not heard one person say anything about me going through the lightening lane. I don't doubt that some people say things. I just don't think that it is as often as some think it is.
Now that regular people can pay for lightning lane access, I don't think there's any way for someone in the regular line to even know that you're using DAS.

They'll just judge you for spending more money than them now. Big win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter