Disabilities on the Disney bus

this is from one of our trips party was me, my husband and 4 year old at the time special needs grandson. so only my husband can board with me what do you want to happen to grandson. and no I could not take grandson with me and have husband come separately. remember on one extra person with ECV.
Of course it doesn't work. Which is why Disney allows the entire party to board. Same with the DAS. Yes, there is a limit, but it is high enough to not leave someone high and dry.

It would be ridiculous to leave my son, while my husband and I boarded the bus. Or to leave my husband. So when our son travels with us, he is allowed to board with us.

The only time that I have had more than two people board with me was at the Contemporary. We had waited for a bus, but it was mostly full. And although we were the first in line, they couldn't load a scooter. We saw another family of three that got pushed to the back of the line. Just rude people trying to get on the bus. So, after waiting for another 30 minutes, when an empty bus came, and the new waiters started jostling for position, I told the driver that that family was traveling with us. Heck, at that point they were. We had been sitting together and talking for 30 minutes.

No, life isn't fair. It isn't fair that I got picked to have lupus. It isn't fair that the only way for me to enjoy Disney is to rent or purchase a scooter. It isn't fair to know that I will forever have a scooter and a handicap tag, that I am never going to get better. And it isn't fair that I get to load onto the bus first. But, hey, thems the breaks.

Unlock the door/scan your band.
Lean forward and, with you're non-steering hand, turn the knob/handle.
VERY slowly, use the front bumper of the ECV to nudge open the door.
When you get to the point you can easily touch the door, push it open with your non-steering hand and proceed slowly into the room.

I had a woman tell me that she leans back and is able to stick her foot forward enough so that the bumper doesn't hit the door, her foot does, and then she kind of pushes it out of the way. She explained this to me on my last day at WDW, so I never tried it. Has anyone else?

But, see, I don't have to do it because my husband is allowed to board the bus with me. And there is no real reason to change that policy.
You said you haven't figured out how to open the door without help. I explained how to open the door without help. I never stated or implied there is a reason to change the bus boarding policy (but reducing it to one companion does make sense.)

I had a woman tell me that she leans back and is able to stick her foot forward enough so that the bumper doesn't hit the door, her foot does, and then she kind of pushes it out of the way. She explained this to me on my last day at WDW, so I never tried it. Has anyone else?
I haven't tried, but if I'd known about it I sure as Heck would have! No damage to the ECV, no paint chipping off the door. Now I feel like an idiot :).

OP, travel with very disabled adult DS, never count on anyone to offer seat or much else. Disney World does attract many families with folks with issues so there is likely a higher percentage of issues, visible or not. Add to that manners are not what they used to be. I am proactive in doing what we need for our safety.

We just got back from a trip. One day we got on a bus and had to stand, and I was surprised no one offered my special needs adult son a seat. Me and his Dad can stand, no problem. He has Downs, Autism, poor balance and depth perception, and has had ankle fusion surgeries. He actually did ok, to my surprise, but it was unusual no one offered, they usually do.(My husband was even carrying his huge folded up WC, it's a Convaid chair, like an enormous stroller that weighs 50 pounds. So no question he had mobility issues beyond a "typical" adult with DS)

We actually did not even realize the bus was so full until we boarded, we got there after it had been loaded up. We laughed it off, because he held on well and the driver was excellent, very smooth around the turns, thank goodness. Another driver and he may have gone flying despite our focus on his safety.

My DS is obviously disabled and to most severely disabled. He shouldn't be standing but most trips if I unfortunately get in a position that we are standing - NO ONE offers him a seat, not even teens. I experienced this very pregnant in NYC on three forms of transportation, every day until a week before I had him. It is what it is.

I know if we get on standing, we will be left standing. I have no expectations. I put him on a pole, I straddle his feet on either side and I wrap my arms around him holding the pole. Will I be able to hold him if need be, probably not but I'll tear something trying.

BUT that is my problem. Now, we usually tell the driver to go on, and we'll wait. It does seem another bus usually comes quickly after that so I wonder if they message ahead as they usually seem to feel bad he can't get on. Never have they asked someone to give him their seat. And that is fine. Now if we are seated and one of my other kids are with me, you can bet their butts jump up and offer others their seat.

How’d you manage that? Nobody is supposed to board at the middle other than the folks in ECVs.

I'm not sure supersnoop. I didn't know it was odd, there was a cm outside the bus ushering people on.

Last trip we did it several times. I thought it was strange, DS and I were looking at each other like "did they tell us to do it". When lines are long it loads the bus SO much faster. Folks just won't go to back of bus then those coming later start standing rather than walk back ... but forcing folks in the back door you force them into the back of the bus. Was so much more efficient. Especially on the double buses.

I find it very hard to believe that people would go to the trouble of renting from an offsite company, paying for each day, simply to board the bus first. Knowing that if there are 3 scooters, they have to wait for the next bus. That happens many times, especially during rush hours.
Edit to add: These people must not be very smart. Or at least they don't realize the disadvantages.

Happens often. Some even own them because you can buy used ones quite cheap now. I saw a few younger couples at Epcot (who had no issues hoofing it around at places) with their cute scooters all decorated, decked out with "trunks", baskets, horns etc. One couple even in matching outfits. They were flying way faster than they should have and several times we saw them putting down the drinks. I thought you weren't allowed to drink and drive them. Saw one guy with a fancy cup holder on front with a huge beer, clearly drunk. Happens all the time, it's not just the bus, it's a built in seat anywhere; parades, food & wine, fireworks etc ... it allows you to buzz all over without getting tired or the old knee aching etc. The ones with sun roofs keep you shaded, you can attach fans. You don't have to carry a bag. Buses are just an added perk.

I've ridden a lot of Disney buses and never once, not a single time, have I seen a driver ask a passenger to get up from their seat, or request someone to volunteer to give up their seat, UNLESS it was someone seated in the fold up seats and they needed to load an ECV. I'm not so sure the drivers are speaking up on behalf of passengers much these days

I've never in my 25 years of staying on property never seen a bus driver ask anyone to get up. Only to keep moving back.

Mobility scooters and wheelchairs are boarded first for 3 reasons:
  1. Safety -- the more people that are on the bus, the more difficult it is to maneuver the scooter on the bus, and the more likely it is to hit someone or run over someone's feet.
  2. Efficiency -- if the driver has to move people out of the fold-up seats, it can take a while, especially if there are small children or lots of carry-on items involved, slowing down the loading for everyone. If people have to be temporarily off-loaded to make room to maneuver, it slows things down even more.
  3. Courtesy -- drivers would rather not have to ask people to stand or change seats if it can be avoided.
I agree that allowing 6 to board with the scooter is too much, but sometimes enforcing even that causes an argument. Disney always tries to avoid arguments with Guests.

Have no problem with them loading first, it would make no sense to do it otherwise. Should they limit how many guests are with them to less than 5-6, yes. (and we've seen more) Why? Once that seat folds you lose 3 seats, add 6 guests that is 9 seats. Two ECV could be 18 seats. Not really fair. Let each have 1-2 guests load in back with them OR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have seen times when scooters and wheelchairs are held until the rest of their party makes it through the queue, but it requires the queue to be configured that way and extra staffing to make it work. And we all know how Disney feels about extra staffing.

OR you handle it this way, have seen it at MK often. It works great, it's fair to all, and it would resolve much of the complaining you get from what is often considered special preference. Folks could be waiting 45 minutes for a bus but an ECV rolls up as bus does and they load? Not quite fair. The new bus depot has wide queues that they can roll through. On the last turn they are let through the chain to the ECV load location which will line up with the door. This also allows buses to leave without losing a huge number of seats to ECVs if they all go direct to the load spot. Spacing them out in the queue spaces them out on buses. This makes the impact of family with them no issue, they waited in line. I think if Disney made effort to make them all set up like this we would never see this issue on threads.

Last edited:
OP, travel with very disabled adult DS, never count on anyone to offer seat or much else. Disney World does attract many families with folks with issues so there is likely a higher percentage of issues, visible or not. Add to that manners are not what they used to be. I am proactive in doing what we need for our safety.
My DS is obviously disabled and to most severely disabled. He shouldn't be standing but most trips if I unfortunately get in a position that we are standing - NO ONE offers him a seat, not even teens. I experienced this very pregnant in NYC on three forms of transportation, every day until a week before I had him. It is what it is.

I know if we get on standing, we will be left standing. I have no expectations. I put him on a pole, I straddle his feet on either side and I wrap my arms around him holding the pole. Will I be able to hold him if need be, probably not but I'll tear something trying.

BUT that is my problem. Now, we usually tell the driver to go on, and we'll wait. It does seem another bus usually comes quickly after that so I wonder if they message ahead as they usually seem to feel bad he can't get on. Never have they asked someone to give him their seat. And that is fine. Now if we are seated and one of my other kids are with me, you can bet their butts jump up and offer others their seat.
Last trip we did it several times. I thought it was strange, DS and I were looking at each other like "did they tell us to do it". When lines are long it loads the bus SO much faster. Folks just won't go to back of bus then those coming later start standing rather than walk back ... but forcing folks in the back door you force them into the back of the bus. Was so much more efficient. Especially on the double buses.
Happens often. Some even own them because you can buy used ones quite cheap now. I saw a few younger couples at Epcot (who had no issues hoofing it around at places) with their cute scooters all decorated, decked out with "trunks", baskets, horns etc. One couple even in matching outfits. They were flying way faster than they should have and several times we saw them putting down the drinks. I thought you weren't allowed to drink and drive them. Saw one guy with a fancy cup holder on front with a huge beer, clearly drunk. Happens all the time, it's not just the bus, it's a built in seat anywhere; parades, food & wine, fireworks etc ... it allows you to buzz all over without getting tired or the old knee aching etc. The ones with sun roofs keep you shaded, you can attach fans. You don't have to carry a bag. Buses are just an added perk.
I've never in my 25 years of staying on property seen a bus driver ask anyone to get up. Only to keep moving back.
Have no problem with them loading first, it would make no sense to do it otherwise. Should they limit how many guests are with them to less than 5-6, yes. (and we've seen more) Why? Once that seat folds you lose 3 seats, add 6 guests that is 9 seats. Two ECV could be 18 seats. Not really fair. Let each have 1-2 guests load in back with them OR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OR you handle it this way, have seen it at MK often. It works great, it's fair to all,and it would resolve much of the complaining you get from what is often considered special preference. Folks could be waiting 45 minutes for a bus but an ECV rolls up as bus does and they load? Not quite fair. The new bus depot has wide queues that they can roll through. On the last turn they are let through the chain to the ECV load location which will line up with the door. This also allows buses to leave without losing a huge number of seats to ECVs if they all go direct to the load spot. Spacing them out in the queue spaces them out on buses. This makes the impact of family with them no issue, they waited in line. I think if Disney made effort to make them all set up like this we would never see this issue on threads.

Well thought out @HopperFan :)

OR you handle it this way, have seen it at MK often. It works great, it's fair to all, and it would resolve much of the complaining you get from what is often considered special preference. Folks could be waiting 45 minutes for a bus but an ECV rolls up as bus does and they load? Not quite fair. The new bus depot has wide queues that they can roll through. On the last turn they are let through the chain to the ECV load location which will line up with the door. This also allows buses to leave without losing a huge number of seats to ECVs if they all go direct to the load spot. Spacing them out in the queue spaces them out on buses. This makes the impact of family with them no issue, they waited in line. I think if Disney made effort to make them all set up like this we would never see this issue on threads.
The problem is, there may be plenty of room on the bus for me and my scooter and my party of 1 or 2. But since the bus loaded other people first, I now have to wait until the next bus. Which means because I am handicapped, I am waiting longer than a healthy person.

I'm sure that the people that arrived after me, but would be able to get on the bus, are pretty happy. And you wouldn't have people complaining that scooters have special preference, but those of us that have scooters certainly would be complaining.

The problem is, there may be plenty of room on the bus for me and my scooter and my party of 1 or 2. But since the bus loaded other people first, I now have to wait until the next bus. Which means because I am handicapped, I am waiting longer than a healthy person.

I'm sure that the people that arrived after me, but would be able to get on the bus, are pretty happy. And you wouldn't have people complaining that scooters have special preference, but those of us that have scooters certainly would be complaining.

Once you get to the end of the next to last row, you exit through chain into the loading area, therefore going ahead of the approximately 30-40 people who were in line ahead of you. Bus pulls up and you load first. This insures you get on the bus you would have loaded on. You would not be waiting longer than the others.

Where the issue comes up over and over is that by not waiting in any line, literally rolling up and loading, you are getting true front of line access which is above and beyond. It's the whole reason the rides queues were modified and the DAS had new rules from GAC. The bus is nothing more than another attraction from loading perspective and should be treated as such.

Now my DS is very disabled (so I have sympathy), has lots of issues, one of which is being in tight lines with lots of people ... but because I make him walk, even though is slows us down, and don't have a wheelchair we have to wait in the normal line. He waits with the "healthy people". He often has to wait for the next bus because it's very difficult for him to stand on a moving bus.

We can't determine who has greater needs, who is using an ECV just because they are pregnant or have a bad knee or tire easily and who has huge challenges. You could also say it isn't fair to those who are disabled and who exert great energy walking all day don't qualify for early loading or guaranteed seat. Disney is building all new bus depots to be ECV accessible and I imagine at some point the loading process will all be like they are capable at the new ones. Over the years Disney has worked towards accessibility. I expect that to continue as crowds increase and the number of ECVs increase.

Again, my family lives within a disabled world, one day I may be pushing DS in a chair and that is if I even can myself. But I would accept waiting like I do now.

This is not specific to Disney - but my DH is always the first person to give his seat up to anyone that he thinks needs it more than he does. The problem is that I am extremely disabled and when he gives a seat near me to some other person I am often left high and dry without help from him. More than once I've seen him give a seat (not on a bus but in a restaurant) to another person thinking that they need it for an elderly member of their party - and then someone 30 years younger than my DH uses the chair, and I am left alone without my DH for the help that I need from him.

Not a motor vehicle, no law about operating a mobility device while intoxicated.

It is actually against the law in many states. You can get a DUI. You can even get a DUI on a bicycle.

I haven't seen Florida law, but if not, it seems like maybe the retirement state might want to look at what other states are doing.

I have multiple disabilities which cause me to be non verbal and use a powerchair for independent mobility. My husband is also disabled yet he can walk yet when we ride the bus here at home or at Disney he always stands so that he can be right near me. Yet if people where to hit him he would fall and need an a lot of help to get back upright. Last time we went this past February, we weren’t allowed to exit the line until we came to the front of it then were directed to the side to wait for the next bus. So we do end up waiting longer at times

I have multiple disabilities which cause me to be non verbal and use a powerchair for independent mobility. My husband is also disabled yet he can walk yet when we ride the bus here at home or at Disney he always stands so that he can be right near me. Yet if people where to hit him he would fall and need an a lot of help to get back upright. Last time we went this past February, we weren’t allowed to exit the line until we came to the front of it then were directed to the side to wait for the next bus. So we do end up waiting longer at times
Where did that happen? Didn't see that at all during our recent trip.

Last time we went this past February, we weren’t allowed to exit the line until we came to the front of it then were directed to the side to wait for the next bus. So we do end up waiting longer at times

It should not have worked that way, you would be outside the yellow line and it would not have been safe to have you travel outside the queue back to the loading area. As you make the last turn there is a chain that they would have you go through to the load lane. If there is no bus sitting there, you would be the first to load the next bus. If there is a bus actively loading, then yes you might have to wait for the next one. Transportation at the depots keeps a close eye, and I think buses are called sooner if there are guests in the mobility lane.

When you get to red arrow, they should pull you through the chain to the load area which is back there. The other guests will continue down the row and enter from the blue arrow at front of bus.

80adb6d6-5aa4-4847-896a-c259273901b1.png

Where did that happen? Didn't see that at all during our recent trip.

I have never seen that in all my trips.

It can only truly work at the newest bus depots or at old ones IF the queues are built wide enough and there is a cut into the queue rail at the last turn before the final row. Magic Kingdom and AK have some new depots, DHS is predicted to get new depots. Epcot may have some old ones that work.

It didn’t happen that way we were leaving magic kingdom heading back to por. It was also the first time we traveled with just the two of us. So this upcoming trip in a week now we know more of what is allowed

Yes again good explanation @HopperFan - at MK we had a scooter party of 8 go round the gate at your red arrow (so beyond yellow line) to position themselves at loading before the POFQ bus arrived - no CM's around so another scooter party did the same when the bus approached.

It didn’t happen that way we were leaving magic kingdom heading back to por. It was also the first time we traveled with just the two of us. So this upcoming trip in a week now we know more of what is allowed

At this point it still happens both ways. It all comes down to the Transportation CMs instructions at the time. (It's not that way at resorts.) Just follow those in front of you or what the CMs are saying.

Yes again good explanation @HopperFan - at MK we had a scooter party of 8 go round the gate at your red arrow (so beyond yellow line) to position themselves at loading before the POFQ bus arrived - no CM's around so another scooter party did the same when the bus approached.

Were they using two queue sections? In order to make it to the next section you have to go around that gate. We have done that route before but without a mobility (always a CM standing there), we continued on past that gate area back into the final length of queue.

Or did you go down the direct "exit" lane (where my blue arrow is for the queue not in the picture). That lane is still there, and right now that is where most go, especially if there are no CMs directing you otherwise. At times it can be conflicting since folks getting off buses may be coming out that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter