• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed in OKW

teras75

Earning My Ears
I usually just read what people post but we just got back from our first real trip as DVC and we stayed at OKW, I had to speak up. I have to tell you that I was truly disappointed. The villa we stayed in was in building 49. That was the absolute furthest from the main area we could possibly be. I was laying in bed last night going to sleep and all I heard was traffic from the main road right behind us. When I say I heard traffic, I mean I could hear the gears changing!! There were light bulbs burnt out, the toilet squirted water on the floor everytime you flushed leaving the floor wet, and the remote's batteries were dead. Now that may not sound like a big deal, but after hiking in the park all day the last thing you want to do is get up to change the channel. We went for ESPN the Weekend and that was a disappointment also. My family loves to go and see the athletes. We have been every year! This year it seemed like there were a lot of professional autograph hunters basically pushing all the kids out of the way to get their autographs on everything from magazines to basketballs. I wouldn't blame the athletes if they didn't want to come back, they were just mobbed everywhere they went. The cast members tried their best to keep the crowds away, but it was just impossible. The whole weekend was just really a disappointment. :sad1:

I am sorry to read you had a bad trip, especially your first DVC trip!

I hoped you called the front desk with your problems and that they corrected them. We just got back today also. We avoided MGM to stay away from the "mob" of sport fans. I wanted to go, but thought it might be crowded and nuts. Of course this comes from a family that goes at New Years...LOL!

What you need now is to get back on that horse and start planning your next Disney trip. Try another resort, pick a different time of year, I'm sure the next trip will be a good trip!

I admit the resort seems noisier than in previous years. I think it is because a lot of the landscaping/trees that provided some sound absorption from the roads were destroyed by the hurricanes a could years ago. The replacements (if they've replaced them?) haven't had time to grow tall enough to provide that buffer.

If the bulbs were incandescent, as most seem to be at OKW, they are constantly burning out. They do here at home in TX, too. Whenever we have storms go through and the barometric pressure changes...pop go the bulbs. Since Florida gets similar weather, I bet their bulbs pop a lot, too.

Squirting toilet and bad remote batteries shouldn't have happened, I hope you reported those problems so they could be repaired before the next guest checked in.

The first thing my DH does when we enter the room is check the remote....then the t.v., air conditioning and internet accessibility. He was burned once with the remote and won't ever let that happen again LOL. Wish he had the same attention to detail about stuff at home!!! LOL

...I hoped you called the front desk with your problems and that they corrected them...
Those of us who've been relegated to building 49 and it's neighbors know that correction of it's problems would require the assistance of a wrecking-ball. Barring that, a sound-wall would help.

Now, now. No bashing of Bldg 49. We stayed there in Nov in a GV. I did not hear any traffic noise at night and no one in my party indicated that they did either. Maybe it was because we were in the "middle" of the building with villas on both sides. We actually liked the location and of course loved the GV.

Hope you have a better stay, or a stay more to your liking on your next DVC trip. As someone suggested, try another resort and another time of year.

Sorry your first trip was not a good one. That is always a letdown. Also, thanks for the head's up on #49. In all our stays at OKW, we have never had a room that was noisy. The closest, in proximity, to #49 we've ever stayed was #43 and it was one of our most favorite locations. Gorgeous pond view, ducks and rabbits (and a frog) at our patio every morning. I'm certain another time of the year and a different bldg at OKW would make a world of difference in your perception of the resort. Some of our favorite bldgs at OKW have been 34, 35, 43, 45, 46 and 62. These all have terrific water views (and some had great views of Illuminations as well).
Better luck on your next trip :thumbsup2

You should try SSR next time - not that it's "nicer," but newer does suit a lot of people. We LOVED OKW, but could tell that it's 15 years older. We enjoyed the laid-backness and the community feel. Kids loved the pool, DH and I loved the Suitcase (if you're out there, Dave, thanks for the drinks!), we ALL loved Olivia's. We were in 33 (only reason I know that is because 2mos after trip, DD5 asked if we can stay at 3314 Old Turtle Pond again next time we visit Mickey!) and it was a great location!

We are staying at BWV this summer and SSR at Christmas - like the resorts, I am sure there are things I will love about each one!

We had 6 families that stayed in building 49 at OKW in June and we all loved it. We were on the first second and third floors. We did not hear traffic at all, and the remote location was welcomed. The views from the balconies were wonderful. I would chose this location anytime.

I suggest you should have done what you need to do in any hotel when something isn't right: Make your concerns known to those who can rectify the problem!

We're currently in the middle of our third week at OKW. As a long-time member, we know we'll most probably need to call housekeeping and/or engineering soon after arrival for one reason or another. This time a couple of bulbs in the bathroom needed to be replaced.

I think all DVC resorts have rooms located in areas that may not be the most desirable. I suggest you make yourself aware of those room locations prior to making your next reservation. When you speak with MS you can then make your room request accordingly.

I think all DVC resorts have rooms located in areas that may not be the most desirable.
Absolutely agree....I had an undesirable room at BWV a few years ago, (as well as undesirable rooms at non-DVC hotels). I've been lucky at VWL so far but I'm aware there are certain rooms to avoid there as well such as the studio with no balcony and the dumpster view rooms. Haven't stayed at BCV or SSR yet. But no resort is perfect by any means. There's always going to be some that are farthest from the main hub, bad view, noisy etc. I also believe the trick is to know what to request and try and get to the resort to check-in early. Often you're given a choice if you get there early enough. I've had this with OKW and VWL a few times (as well as non-DVC resorts).
Lew ! Wow....3 weeks at OKW ! You lucky duck ! I was in WDW Feb 21-26 and the weather was just awesome. Hope you're having a good time.

So Sorry your trip wasnt so magical....

Especially your 1st dvc trip....
I'm sure next time will be better...

Just curious...did you ask to change your room?
Kerri

Wow....3 weeks at OKW ! You lucky duck ! I was in WDW Feb 21-26 and the weather was just awesome. Hope you're having a good time.
We do consider ourselves fortunate to be able to spend three weeks here. We retired a little over two years ago and have really enjoyed traveling...especially this time of year when the weather is not so good back home in Vermont. We're flying home this Friday so we will catch some winter weather.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I notice you're a member at Vistana. We have stayed there a couple of times in the past few years and found it very nice. One stay was in the Cascades section and last year we were in a different section across the road near a very nice pool...a little older area, but still very nice.

We have thought seriously of buying a few weeks there or over at Vistana Villages. How would you compare your membership with Vistana with DVC? Any other insight into the inner workings of Vistana would be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to PM me if you wish as this is clearly off topic.

Thanks...

Did you call and ask to have these things fixed? If they weren't that's not right. (If you didn't call, then how is it EVER going to get fixed. Especially the remote. Housekeeping might not ever notice that!)\

No, they couldn't fix the noise, but the rest of it could have been fixed.

okay the things that your guide should have told you but didn't.

the maids don't tell maintence/engineering anything.

if something is wrong you need to call them. housekeeping/engineering do share (at OKW) the same call button. but that is all they share.

so next time just call them. they should send someone in under an hour. If not call them again. if he fixes anything while you aren't there - he will a note.

I try to look at everything and see if anything needs fixing then. (this I learned from past experience)

the trees have been a problem for me too. before the hurricane you couldn't even see OKW from the roads. Now you definitely can.

they aren't replacing the trees - they are allowing the wild trees to grow - now they do grow pretty fast - but it will take at least 10 years to replace the old trees and then they don't grow as tall as those trees did. It has only been 3 or 4 years.

so even in 7 years the 3rd floor might still have a problem - won't be as back because of the parital interference.

so sorry!!! but I also hate building 49.

also if you can avoid them - any place the bus turn around, building 11-14 to close to HH and parking can be difficult, building 45 - studio close to street - the buses and carts coming up that hill fast as possible then breaking..:crazy2: if you can see Buena Vista Drive then you might be hearing it. so also consider that. had a parking lot view in building 47 - so that is also on my list.

I really missed all the trees at OKW - they definitely make it alot quieter.

here is a map - so you can see the areas that I am talking about.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/okwmap.htm

It's not just DVC or Disney.

I can't tell you how many times I get into a hotel room where there are no lights because half the lightbulbs are burned out. Or the Marriott a few weeks ago where the water to the toliet was turned off (apparently by housekeeping) because the toliet ran. LOL!

Or the Marriott a few weeks ago where the water to the toliet was turned off (apparently by housekeeping) because the toliet ran. LOL!

That sure was a helpful repair ! :rotfl:

I suspect you were likely in a studio room on the left side of the building (as you face it from the parking lot), and that unit WOULD be right next to the road. Sorry you had a bad location, but most are not that bad. I do think most of the bad locations are studio units though.

I suspect you were likely in a studio room on the left side of the building (as you face it from the parking lot), and that unit WOULD be right next to the road. Sorry you had a bad location, but most are not that bad. I do think most of the bad locations are studio units though.

That is exactly where we were!! 2nd floor! I did bring home an OKW map so when we stay there again, I will know what building to request! :thumbsup2

I'm new to DVC and I'm learning as I go! That is half of the fun!

I had the studio right across the street in building 50 last year - those end rooms are noisy, for sure. A white noise machine in those end studios would be nice, eh? So sorry your first trip didn't go more smoothly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter