Disappointed in Topolino’s!

Paul Stupin

New DVC Member
We’re currently staying at the Riviera. First of all, the resort is beautiful and we’re having a great stay! A few nights ago we had dinner at Topolino’s for the first time, having read one spectacular review after another. Sadly, we didn’t feel the magic. I’m just going to list the reasons:
1. Our mistake, but for this price we expected a beautiful, intimate seating experience with atmosphere and charm. Wrong! The actual space is enormous and bland, and feels like an event space in a convention hall. The outdoor patio is fun to visit. The indoor area isn’t.
2. We researched the dress code in advance, because of course we wanted to look presentable, a concern apparently not shared by anyone else. For dinner, the couple next to us were in shorts and tank tops, as were many other diners. We’re certainly not the dress code police, but it kind of ruined any sense of high end ambience. No dress code whatsoever is being enforced.
3. We didn’t go in expecting the most incredible cuisine we’ve ever had, but we did have positive expectations. My wife’s lamb was ok, as was my rigatoni. It wasn’t great, just ok. The ricotta appetizer was delicious, but they forgot to bring our marinated olives until halfway through the meal. They were fine when the eager-to-please-but-kind-of-incompetent waiter finally delivered them.
4. The place just isn’t good enough to be this expensive, even taking into account that Disney prices will be higher. Our meal, with two appetizers, two entrees, and a couple glasses of wine was about $300. I felt like a bit of a fool for eating there. One family, who obviously hadn’t done their research, actually got up and left after looking at the prices.

Anyway, no doubt we’ll be trying other Disney restaurants, but I don’t think we’ll return to Topolino’s for a very, very long time.

Sorry for your experience, but it’s good to have this info. The dress code thing at Disney drives me crazy. They’ve never been good at enforcing it, and I’m sure it’s even worse at the moment. If I go to a nice place to have a nice meal, I don’t want it to be slob city.

Sorry for your experience, but it’s good to have this info. The dress code thing at Disney drives me crazy. They’ve never been good at enforcing it, and I’m sure it’s even worse at the moment. If I go to a nice place to have a nice meal, I don’t want it to be slob city.

I may be a bit naive but I thought the only place the really had a set dress code was V&A and that there it is more strictly enforced, but I have not eaten there before so I have no first hand knowledge.

I always hate it when you pay alot for a meal that you end up being disappointed in! Ug!! We ate there for Christmas Eve dinner and really enjoyed it (family of 5) and have definite plans to return. I am bummed that the menu is currently limited as it is missing some of the things we really liked. When dining at Disney, I have come to expect a mix of dress, with the exception of V&A. We choose to dress up at the nicer places, but not not fancy attire. I have also come to expect that the meals are always overpriced, which is why we won't return to bad experiences either.

Thanks for posting and this reinforced why we postponed going there (October 2020) until the regular menu is being offered. We are a gluten free family by need (not choice) and the menu at TT is far to limited now. We didn't want to bias our first trip with the limited offerings. We will plan to go in October 2021 when HarmoniUS is offered as an evening finale. I'd suggest giving it another try when things approach normal if you can get past this experience. FWiW we had a terrible experience (other guest poor behavior and management refusing to help, not the food) at Carthay Circle in DCA and it took my wife 3 years to agree to return...yep, that bad...but now it's back on our regular rotation.
Mike

It was as much the complete lack of atmosphere as it was the average food. I actually think the pasta at our local CPK is considerably better.
The place felt like a large, boxy dining hall, with bland tables scattered throughout and zero distinctive architecture or design. Re the dress code, which we looked up, it only called for no flip flops, nice shorts, and no tank tops, so seeing folks sitting there for dinner in tank tops, kind of like McDonalds, diminished the experience. We weren’t really dressed up, since we’re more informal types, but made a minor effort. This dinner was supposed to be a big deal, a fun splurge, and we walked away hesitant to try any other nice restaurants.

We ate there last March. It was disappointing. Food was ok but ambiance was boring. Even with the fireworks there was nothing special. Toledo’s on the other hand at Coronados was fabulous. Wonderful decor, great food and excellent service.

I hate leaving a restaurant feeling ripped off ... especially if I shelled out some cash for it.

We ate there for the first time about 3 weeks ago. We thought the food was good, but not worth the price point. I think we would try it again, but wait until the full menu is back out.

We ate there tonight for the first time and I was a little scared after reading this post earlier today as it was DH's birthday and he was really looking forward to it. Thankfully, we had a fabulous meal and really loved our choices. His filet was fantastic - great flavor, perfectly cooked, appropriate size for the price point. I had the rigatoni with chicken and it was very rich and very good. Truth be told, my 10 month old downed more of the chicken than I did - he was shoveling it in.

We were seated on time, our waiter was very attentive and friendly, the meal was well paced (can be a problem at Disney spots...), the terrace view was really lovely before and after the thunderstorm, and we thought the atmosphere was fine. I tend to care more about food than atmosphere, though.

The menu is very limited so we probably won't be back until more items are added, unless we get a craving for a great filet.

Just goes to show how differing people's experiences can be. I'm so sorry yours was a miss (esp at that price point!)

I can recommend the sole meuniere but leave the Fruits of the Forest in the forest! That option is plant based and I gotta say I admire y’all vegetarians. I need eggs and milk in my cake...:duck:

We ate there in March and everything was very good. I would rate it on par with California Grill.

For $300 it better be the best meal I ever had. I can’t see that much. For a meal that had pasta in it. Way overpriced. It’s about research and right now you roll the dice with lighter menus and such. We have found that most places don’t do a dress code and they tend to not turn people away especially right now.

I didnt even pay $300 to eat at Hells Kitchen Vegas last week lol however we did have breakfast and TT the 2nd day they reopened and it was OK. Nothing special and definitely nothing better than the average hard disney crispy waffles

We enjoyed our meal but thought the limited menu really hindered the experience. I thought the outdoor area was wonderful but was honestly a little underwhelmed by the indoor seating and I wonder how it’s like when there a more tables and chairs everywhere. Food was very good though but we still think California Grill is better by a large margin.

As for dress code, we wore nice outfits (nothing crazy - nice summer dress and button down shirt) but we do not expect that from others since when it comes down to it, we are all at an amusement park and going back to change is not a viable option for all.

Dress code is same at CG, and people still wear park clothes. On one occasion, the table next to us at dinner looked really terrible. Tank tops, gym shorts, and flip flops. yuck.

For dinner, the couple next to us were in shorts and tank tops, as were many other diners. We’re certainly not the dress code police, but it kind of ruined any sense of high end ambience. No dress code whatsoever is being enforced.

It is a theme park hotel restaurant. Same thing happens at California Grill and other Signature restaurants. We have just learned to focus on our own bubble and worry about the few feet around our own table.

I have and ADR there for 3 Friday. I do agree, from the videos I have watched...it does look like a meeting event space with tables. Hopefully it evolves over time.

The actual space is enormous and bland, and feels like an event space in a convention hall
I do agree, from the videos I have watched...it does look like a meeting event space with tables.
That's what the entire Riviera is, IMHO, with just a few "disney touches" here and there. The rooms as well as Topolinos are massively overpriced for what they are. Plus, it's the usual hit or miss Disney dining experience on top of a bland setting. I'd venture a guess that this is another "depends on who was working that night" situation. While the food is often inconsistent, the prices sure aren't. 🤷‍♂️

That's what the entire Riviera is, IMHO, with just a few "disney touches" here and there. The rooms as well as Topolinos are massively overpriced for what they are. Plus, it's the usual hit or miss Disney dining experience on top of a bland setting. I'd venture a guess that this is another "depends on who was working that night" situation. While the food is often inconsistent, the prices sure aren't. 🤷‍♂️

We’re currently staying at the Riviera. First of all, the resort is beautiful and we’re having a great stay! A few nights ago we had dinner at Topolino’s for the first time, having read one spectacular review after another. Sadly, we didn’t feel the magic. I’m just going to list the reasons:
1. Our mistake, but for this price we expected a beautiful, intimate seating experience with atmosphere and charm. Wrong! The actual space is enormous and bland, and feels like an event space in a convention hall. The outdoor patio is fun to visit. The indoor area isn’t.
2. We researched the dress code in advance, because of course we wanted to look presentable, a concern apparently not shared by anyone else. For dinner, the couple next to us were in shorts and tank tops, as were many other diners. We’re certainly not the dress code police, but it kind of ruined any sense of high end ambience. No dress code whatsoever is being enforced.
3. We didn’t go in expecting the most incredible cuisine we’ve ever had, but we did have positive expectations. My wife’s lamb was ok, as was my rigatoni. It wasn’t great, just ok. The ricotta appetizer was delicious, but they forgot to bring our marinated olives until halfway through the meal. They were fine when the eager-to-please-but-kind-of-incompetent waiter finally delivered them.
4. The place just isn’t good enough to be this expensive, even taking into account that Disney prices will be higher. Our meal, with two appetizers, two entrees, and a couple glasses of wine was about $300. I felt like a bit of a fool for eating there. One family, who obviously hadn’t done their research, actually got up and left after looking at the prices.

Anyway, no doubt we’ll be trying other Disney restaurants, but I don’t think we’ll return to Topolino’s for a very, very long time.

So we just ate at Topolinos Friday Sept 4. It was good.....but we were not "impressed". The atmosphere is just not there for what the restaurant thinks it is or wants to be. Understand there is a bit of a limited menu right now, but the food was just good. not exceptional. My original assessment that it feels like a meeting space converted to a restaurant still stands.

We will try it again at some point, but for us, this is no California Grill and that is where we will continue to go when we want a higher end meal at WDW.

We loved the Riviera itself. Glad we stayed there. It was much nicer then I expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter