Disappointed Platinum Member

OP, it is actually a very logical policy because it is simple and to the point. You are not doing DCL a favor by booking more cabins with fewer in each. DCL would rather have 3 or 4 in each cabin than one or two. They make more money that way. They would surely have no problem selling any cabin you let go if you choose. You may see it as being rewarded for spending less, but DCL sees the bottom line and couldn't care less who pays for the cabins. They only want them booked and paid for with the maximum occupancy allowed until it reaches the lifeboat limits per area. But the Platinum "rules" are made to be clear and concise, not negotiable.

Does anyone know what the average guests per rooms needs to be to hit capacity? we moved our daughter to our room this year before the PIF date, but were warned that if we waited longer that she may not be able to be added and wouldn't be able to cruise.

So yeh they would like to sail at capacity, just not sure what they need to average to get there. My guess would be something like 2.5 per cabin, but just a guess.

As I understand it, for Palo and Remy, you can only book for those in your room, until the window for those linked to you opens. For general dining (main dining rooms), I believe the dining would be set from the outset to have your linked group sit together.

Our last cruise (and we were all first timers so at the same level) we had three cabins linked. I was able to book Palo brunch for everyone on the reservation from my log-in as long as I was also included in the reservation (everyone across three cabins). I was unable to book my parents Remy dinner from my log-in as it was just for the two of them, I had to log in as them to make that reservation. Which brings me back to my question...... Our next cruise we are traveling with my wife’s parents they will be first time cruisers and we will be silver, our reservations will be linked as we are dining together and booked the room together. Will I be able at the 90 day mark to make reservations from my log-in for the entire party for Palo? Will I have to wait for the 75 day mark since they are first time cruisers? Has anyone any actual experience with this situation where they could or could not?

The real issue is this:

From a customer satisfaction viewpoint, Disney would be better-served by not even offering the early boarding, if they are not willing to do it for everyone with me.

I am also platinum on American Airlines. When I travel, even though my family are not platinum, they have priority boarding with me. And, I can take them into the airline club at the airport, even though they are not members.

I too have the highest loyalty status on 2 separate airlines, one of those being well over 2 million miles so far. Everyone traveling on my reservation is allowed to pre board with me, not on other reservations I have paid for even though they are a part of my company. In he club rooms, look carefully at the small print, for 1 airline I am allowed to bring in 2 guests and the other 3, not all of my friends. Most significantly, for first class upgrades, I most always receive one but they do not upgrade my wife or daughter when flying with me, so I normally decline.

Entitlement? Seriously?

Some days when I read this forum I just have to shake my head. This is supposed to be a place to post questions, share information without feeling like you are going to be attacked, Shame on you people!

I did not perceive the original post to be a question of how I felt about DCL strictly adhering to recognizing only those traveling in the same cabin at the highest CC level. My answer if that is what is asked would be, I am ok. When I travel with other couples or families, whether on DCL or other lines, we normally plan our boarding to either be together or send someone ahead to make dinner or show reservations (not DCL) while some of us do other things like tour Disney Studios before boarding in LA.

I guess this is just another example of why Disney's loyalty program lags behind most other lines. On every other line we routinely sail, significant others inherit the loyalty level of the one with the most cruises. I guess we're the lucky ones on Disney - we both made platinum together since we always sail on Disney together. On the other lines she's sailed more than me on some, and I've sailed more than her on others, but we both have the loyalty tier status of whichever one of us has the most sailings.

The other lines we have sailed have considered us the same level when traveling together, however my wife who does at least an additional cruise a year with her sisters is a higher level on 2 different lines than I and when I make reservations without her I am considered lower. Truth be told, I was making a reservation for her and immediately signed out and back on under her name and she received the greater level which by the way did not offer a whole lot of difference.

Does anyone know what the average guests per rooms needs to be to hit capacity? we moved our daughter to our room this year before the PIF date, but were warned that if we waited longer that she may not be able to be added and wouldn't be able to cruise.

So yeh they would like to sail at capacity, just not sure what they need to average to get there. My guess would be something like 2.5 per cabin, but just a guess.

It is not just capacity, it is guests per muster station. We have done some last minute cruises where we actually have to move our room in order to add a person, not due to room size but capacity for the area. It is truly a jigsaw puzzle for booking, if all the up to 4 person staterooms in an area book to max early, they have to sail with empty cabins in the same area to make lifeboat numbers work. If they would let me, I would prefer to evacuate to a raft rather than an extremely crowded lifeboat, alas, not to be, regulations are regulations.

On our last Northern European cruise (2015) boarding went extremely fast, from the first number to our number (6) it was a matter of a few minutes. Yes we were traveling with friends so while we had platinum boarding, we were visiting with them until their gold status number was called. Maybe just because the terminal was smaller but seemed to be calling numbers one right after the other.

Which brings me back to my question...... Our next cruise we are traveling with my wife’s parents they will be first time cruisers and we will be silver, our reservations will be linked as we are dining together and booked the room together. Will I be able at the 90 day mark to make reservations from my log-in for the entire party for Palo? Will I have to wait for the 75 day mark since they are first time cruisers? Has anyone any actual experience with this situation where they could or could not?
At 90 days you will be able to book only those people who are in the "silver" room. The others (first time cruisers) will be listed (because they are linked to your reservation), but their names will be grayed out and you will be unable to select them. At 75 days you can either go back to your reservation and see if you can add them, or, if that doesn't work, log into their reservation and book a reservation for them (it doesn't really matter if it's the same time as yours or not). If you have to make a separate reservation for them, just go to where the Palo dining changes are handled once onboard (the location/time for this will be listed in the Navigator you get at check in), and request the two reservations be combined. It's usually no problem to switch two 2 person reservations into one 4 person reservation, I believe the smallest table in Palo is a 4 top.

At 90 days you will be able to book only those people who are in the "silver" room. The others (first time cruisers) will be listed (because they are linked to your reservation), but their names will be grayed out and you will be unable to select them. At 75 days you can either go back to your reservation and see if you can add them, or, if that doesn't work, log into their reservation and book a reservation for them (it doesn't really matter if it's the same time as yours or not). If you have to make a separate reservation for them, just go to where the Palo dining changes are handled once onboard (the location/time for this will be listed in the Navigator you get at check in), and request the two reservations be combined. It's usually no problem to switch two 2 person reservations into one 4 person reservation, I believe the smallest table in Palo is a 4 top.

Thank for the info

It is not just capacity, it is guests per muster station. We have done some last minute cruises where we actually have to move our room in order to add a person, not due to room size but capacity for the area. It is truly a jigsaw puzzle for booking, if all the up to 4 person staterooms in an area book to max early, they have to sail with empty cabins in the same area to make lifeboat numbers work. If they would let me, I would prefer to evacuate to a raft rather than an extremely crowded lifeboat, alas, not to be, regulations are regulations.

Sorry my bad, my original post before I edited it had a lifeboat mention in it until I realized the person I was quoting had mentioned lifeboats in their comments so I had removed it.

What I was trying to ask is, do all the blocks of rooms for each muster station have the same average number of people per room to meet the capacity of the lifeboat? Then of course the lifeboat capacity drives the ships capacity.

It would be curious to know how the number compares to the max number of people some rooms hold. Especially since DCL makes the most money on the first two people in the room, an empty room due to lifeboat limitations means less profit.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised no one has suggested you get a separate Palo reservation for the other 2 then hope to combine them later. Unless they truly intend to use that separate reservation, that would be unkind to other cruisers hoping to snag the hard to get Palo reservations.

Palo tables seat 4 or more. When you board just go there and ask to add them to your table. I betcha it won't be a problem at all.

But if there were a 9-year-old booked in that stateroom, she wasn't on her own.

Sigh...yes, you were absolutely right to pick me up on my grammar. What I should have said was I was unable to book my 20 year old into a stateroom without another adult over 21. It may have been because I was trying to put my 9 year old in that room with her.

Sorry my bad, my original post before I edited it had a lifeboat mention in it until I realized the person I was quoting had mentioned lifeboats in their comments so I had removed it.

What I was trying to ask is, do all the blocks of rooms for each muster station have the same average number of people per room to meet the capacity of the lifeboat? Then of course the lifeboat capacity drives the ships capacity.

It would be curious to know how the number compares to the max number of people some rooms hold. Especially since DCL makes the most money on the first two people in the room, an empty room due to lifeboat limitations means less profit.

On the Fantasy anyway there are 16 lifeboats holding 270 each--enough for 4,220 people. Since there are 1,500 crew and could be 4,000 passengers, that means 1,300 more or less who will NOT be in a lifeboat but must use the rafts.

How who gets what is determined is anyone's guess----

Generally, you are supposed to board when your boarding number is called. Some groups feel that they should be able to board all together once the lowest boarding number is called for their group. DCL requests that those groups with different boarding numbers, who wish to board together, do so when the highest number in their group is called.

Boarding may or may not be an issue (see justacruiser's post), but the question seems to be why can't all the rooms (that OP paid for) check in at the Platinum/Concierge desk in the terminal. OR why can't OP do the online check in for all rooms he paid for (so that they can get the earliest boarding) when his Platinum window opens.

So in April will be out 1st Platinum cruise (wife and myself), are you telling me our 13year old daughter who is Gold can't board with us based on Disneys policies?????

So in April will be out 1st Platinum cruise (wife and myself), are you telling me our 13year old daughter who is Gold can't board with us based on Disneys policies?????

Presumably your 13 yr old will be booked into a stateroom with either you or your wife. The entire stateroom is allowed to check-in and board as Platinum in that case. If you book her into a different stateroom (i.e., with grandma who is gold), technically it could be but more likely your one minor child joining you to board is not going to be an issue.

Enjoy your cruise!

If she is in the same stateroom with you, she will be able to board with the Platinum passengers.

I will say when we sailed concierge, we were able to have my mom and daughter (they were in a non concierge room) board with us and other concierge guests. We simply asked when we checked in and they said no problem. Had they said no, we would have been ok with that too. So worst case you ask when you get there and all will be good, as far as the excursions and such unfortunately you are out of luck.

On the Fantasy anyway there are 16 lifeboats holding 270 each--enough for 4,220 people. Since there are 1,500 crew and could be 4,000 passengers, that means 1,300 more or less who will NOT be in a lifeboat but must use the rafts.

I suspect that no crewmembers would evacuate in the regular lifeboats, other than those needed for lifeboat operation (such as a driver, and possibly 1-3 for guest control), and that they'd all use rafts. It would be too complicated in an emergency to figure out how many extra spaces there were in the regular lifeboats, and which CM's were allowed to take those spots. It's almost certain that all CM's have their own designated muster station and assigned evacuation method.

On DVC Member Cruise, my roommate is silver, I am Platinum, we WILL be able to check in together, and board together, right?

Bobbi

Maybe thats something the shore side concierge service can answer, or establish once you are aboard?
They are they to serve the exclusive conceirge pax so they should know?

Maybe thats something the shore side concierge service can answer, or establish once you are aboard?
They are they to serve the exclusive conceirge pax so they should know?

Will the lifeboats be seated according to class?

original.jpg

I want to have Platinum problems. Just a silver myself. Hope you still had a magical trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter