• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed with Disney cancellation policy

MyGirlLovesTink

DIS Veteran
We were at Disney a couple of weeks ago and had reservations at Teppan Edo for one evening. The plan was to go and spend the evening at the World Showcase and eat dinner in Japan.

Mid-afternoon, it started to pour rain and it did not look like it was going to let up, so we decided we did not want to walk around in the rain at Epcot and we would go the following evening instead. I called Disney dining to let them know we would not be going and to cancel the reservation.

The person on the phone told me that they were going to charge me $10 per person ($30 total) cancellation fee because it was less than 24 hours hours. What???? I told her I refused to pay it, especially since I was calling in advance to let them know I wasn't coming and I think I had a good reason. I wasn't going to use a park day on my ticket so we can walk around miserably in the rain all night just to honor a dinner reservation. It's not like we just didn't show up, I was giving them notice.

She put me on hold a few times and finally I just asked her if it was cancelled and good luck charging me because they did not have my credit card number. That is what I think she was doing when she put me on hold. I am not a Disney guest, nor did I buy my tickets through Disney and I didn't link them to my account either. The less they know, the better!

I can't believe they would try and take $30 from a customer for rendering zero service, and especially after I had been at the parks for a week spending money galore!!!!

Very disappointing and not magical at all!!! Shame on Disney! :mad:

We were at Disney a couple of weeks ago and had reservations at Teppan Edo for one evening. The plan was to go and spend the evening at the World Showcase and eat dinner in Japan.

Mid-afternoon, it started to pour rain and it did not look like it was going to let up, so we decided we did not want to walk around in the rain at Epcot and we would go the following evening instead. I called Disney dining to let them know we would not be going and to cancel the reservation.

The person on the phone told me that they were going to charge me $10 per person ($30 total) cancellation fee because it was less than 24 hours hours. What???? I told her I refused to pay it, especially since I was calling in advance to let them know I wasn't coming and I think I had a good reason. I wasn't going to use a park day on my ticket so we can walk around miserably in the rain all night just to honor a dinner reservation. It's not like we just didn't show up, I was giving them notice.

She put me on hold a few times and finally I just asked her if it was cancelled and good luck charging me because they did not have my credit card number. That is what I think she was doing when she put me on hold. I am not a Disney guest, nor did I buy my tickets through Disney and I didn't link them to my account either. The less they know, the better!

I can't believe they would try and take $30 from a customer for rendering zero service, and especially after I had been at the parks for a week spending money galore!!!!

Very disappointing and not magical at all!!! Shame on Disney! :mad:

It's a shame for the isolated incidents like yours, but on the whole I'm glad they've implemented the policy and I hope they enforce it.

The real purpose and goal of the policy is to discourage reservation hoarding and the thousands of people who book countless ADR's and pick and choose as the time comes, letting the others fall to the wayside, which is completely wrong and selfish. You're clearly not one of those with this situation, but the problem is that's what the vast majority was doing. Let's say they waive it for your real reason, then it becomes known that "just call and blame the rain or illness and they'll waive it", then the policy just becomes an empty threat and people continue to hoard reservations.

That really sucks. So, what happens if you have reservations on your arrival day, and your flight is delayed or canceled, and you miss said reservations????

That really sucks. So, what happens if you have reservations on your arrival day, and your flight is delayed or canceled, and you miss said reservations????
Probably best not to make reservations for arrival day because you will get charged if you don't show

You pay the $10 per person fee. You have to give 24 hours notice to cancel and ADR without penalty. And from now on you have no choice but to give them a credit card number to make a dining reservation. The OP was lucky that they booked in the middle of Disney switching over to the new policy.

I know some people don't like it, but I am glad for it! It is much easier now to book ADRs than it was before. You don't have people making multiple ones because they are not sure where they want to dine, so they make a bunch of reservations just to cover all of their bases. You don't have people who really are not sure where they want to eat, and think they may want to eat at once place, and then change their mind at the last minute.

Oh and if you are going over a busy season such as New Years Eve and can't get into the park because it is full, you pay the penalty for not making your ADR. Something else to keep in mind. Disney may be glad that we are in the parks all week spending money, but they also don't want to let a reservation time go to waste that they could have filled, had they known that you (in general) were not going to show up.

Blame it on the people who used to double & triple book their ADR's and add me to the list of those who are happy with the new policy.

The reality is that someone else who really wanted that ADR may not have cared about the rain but they couldn't get it because you booked it. I understand your disappointment but sometimes those are the breaks.

FWIW, the policy implementation date was pushed back so while the CM was correct about the fee, they were mistaken about the application in your case.

I think to that extent, if you offered airline proof of the flight cancellation, it'd be waived. Everything is e-mailed based these days, forwarding your flight itinerary and them confirming the cancellation would take 30 seconds.

OP, if you don't mind, since this is already on topic. Throw a poll on the thread to see who's for it and who's against it. I'm actually curious to see where us DIS'ers stand

This is true, for the folks who are reading. If you want to cancel the reservation same day because you don't feel like going or you don't like the weather or something, this is considered a late cancellation and you will pay the $10 per person penalty. This now applies to ALL restaurant reservations made on or after November 19.

If you're sick or you miss your plane you can try calling and asking for the fee to be waived due to circumstances "outside your control" - doesn't mean they'll agree to do it but they might.

But my rule is going to be no ADRs on an arrival day (by air) - unless the anticipated landing time is a good 5 or 6 hours prior to the ADR.

Makes no difference. The restaurant system is separate. If you didn't put down a credit card to reserve it (made before November 19) then they probably can't charge you and she was telling you what they are told to tell guests NOW. But to anyone who made reservations November 19 or later, they can and will charge you for a late cancellation.

And this policy will not prevent multiple bookings, if the booker knows to cancel the reservations before the day of. What it does do is cut down on no-shows at the restaurants. It has done such a spectacular job on that at the signatures that it now applies to ALL restaurants.

Oh and if you are going over a busy season such as New Years Eve and can't get into the park because it is full, you pay the penalty for not making your ADR.

ADR holders are now admitted to the parks up to and including a Stage 3 closing (used to be that if the park was closed to you, even an ADR wouldn't get you in.) At a Stage 4 closing, nobody gets in, ADR or not. Stage 4 means the park has reached its maximum capacity for fire codes and they will let no one in until the crowd thins out a bit.

But yes, if you have an ADR and you run into a Stage 4 closing, that is considered a no-show. The restaurant, when it marks you as a no-show, doesn't have the slightest idea why you didn't show up - they just know you didn't.

I think to that extent, if you offered airline proof of the flight cancellation, it'd be waived. Everything is e-mailed based these days, forwarding your flight itinerary and them confirming the cancellation would take 30 seconds.

OP, if you don't mind, since this is already on topic. Throw a poll on the thread to see who's for it and who's against it. I'm actually curious to see where us DIS'ers stand

Disney most likely won't waive the fee. Anytime you book an ADR on arrival day you are taking a risk that you won't make it. It is up to you if the risk is worth $10 a person or not. Disney announced that the per person fee was going to be at all restaurants a few months back. The subject has been all over the Dis, so I'm sure if you search you will see all the, um, "discussions" that were had about it.

I think it is a shame the OP decide to not go to Epcot because it was raining. Throw on a rain coat and go enjoy the parks! Most people hide in their rooms so you will be able to do all of the rides and attractions you want with very short wait times. Unfortunately, contrary to rumors you may have heard, Disney doesn't control the weather. Nor do they have intentions of putting up a giant dome.;) Heard that rumor here a while ago.

1) Let's look at this reasonably.
2) You ordered something - a dinner reservation.
3) You decided not to buy it.
4) Disney should be able to charge for the open space.
. . . it wasn't their fault you decided not to attend
. . . it wasn't their fault it was raining
. . . lots of people go to the park in the rain

Disney won't waive the fee. Anytime you book an ADR on arrival day you are taking a risk that you won't make it.

I think it is a shame the OP decide to not go to Epcot because it was raining. Throw on a rain coat and go enjoy the parks! Most people hide in their rooms so you will be able to do all of the rides and attractions you want with very short wait times. Unfortunately, contrary to rumors you may have heard, Disney doesn't control the weather. Nor do they have intentions of putting up a giant dome.;) Heard that rumor here a while ago.

Sheesh, I'm surprised they wouldn't waive it with factual solid proof you were unable to get there. Friends of ours got clipped by a magical express bus a few years ago and it ruined their day, imagine getting charged for missing ADR's after getting hit by a disney bus lol.

1) Let's look at this reasonably. 2) You ordered something - a dinner reservation. 3) You decided not to buy it. 4) Disney should be able to charge for the open space. . . . it wasn't their fault you decided not to attend . . . it wasn't their fault it was raining . . . lots of people go to the park in the rain

Well said

Sheesh, I'm surprised they wouldn't waive it with factual solid proof you were unable to get there. Friends of ours got clipped by a magical express bus a few years ago and it ruined their day, imagine getting charged for missing ADR's after getting hit by a disney bus lol.

Well if they were hit by a Disney bus, it would be Disney's fault they didn't make the ADR, wouldn't it? I would hope they wouldn't charge for something like that! However that doesn't apply to almost all of the cases where people don't make their ADRs. Changing your mind a few hours out, or not taking into account travel delays is not in any way a fault of Disney's.

The new rule is cancel the day before or pay the fee for all table service restaurants. Charge card number required to book.

Probably best not to make reservations for arrival day because you will get charged if you don't show

Absolutely.

1) Let's look at this reasonably.
2) You ordered something - a dinner reservation.
3) You decided not to buy it.
4) Disney should be able to charge for the open space.
. . . it wasn't their fault you decided not to attend
. . . it wasn't their fault it was raining
. . . lots of people go to the park in the rain

But from the OP, she booked Teppan BEFORE the fee-for-cancellation policy showed up. So it was inappropriate for her to be charged anything, because she didn't agree to the policy when booking.

Going forward, however, any future ADRs she makes she will agree to it (or just not read what she's clicking to say she read, in which case, well, you gotta read what you're agreeing to) AND they will have her CC to charge it.

Another one who is happy.

I never knew people did this hoarding of ADRs till I started joking the cancellation threads. People just post they have have 4 or 5 cancellations for one day.

Or people book an ADR at be our guest every night then no one else can get hold of one.

Another one who is happy.

I never knew people did this hoarding of ADRs till I started joking the cancellation threads. People just post they have have 4 or 5 cancellations for one day.

Or people book an ADR at be our guest every night then no one else can get hold of one.

At least now they are required to cancel them or pay the penalty.

In the "old days" they would often not even bother to cancel, just pull a no-show at the restaurants that didn't make the cut.

Well if they were hit by a Disney bus, it would be Disney's fault they didn't make the ADR, wouldn't it? I would hope they wouldn't charge for something like that! However that doesn't apply to almost all of the cases where people don't make their ADRs. Changing your mind a few hours out, or not taking into account travel delays is not in any way a fault of Disney's.

The new rule is cancel the day before or pay the fee for all table service restaurants. Charge card number required to book.

Oh I'm 100% for the policy. I just didn't know if you had solid proof of an unpreventable event, such as flight cancellation, they wouldn't work with it. Stuff like being 'sick' or 'rain' or any general excuse because you bail on a reservation, then def not.

At least now they are required to cancel them or pay the penalty. In the "old days" they would often not even bother to cancel, just pull a no-show at the restaurants that didn't make the cut.

Yes that's why it is great. But I have read a lot of threads where people have cancelled their multiple reservations and people have tried to coordinate with each other to get their cancelled reservation and it never shows up. I am just saying I would be really disappointed if we missed eating some where we wanted to when some one else has multiple dining reservations there with no intention of using them all.

That is terrible, since your ADR was booked before the policy was in place. Did the CM expect you to give a CC to accept the penalty. I don't even get what she thought she could charge you with.
We cancelled our Tony's reservation morning of because we realized we had booked on a party night at 7:10pm, totally missed it. CM was very nice, I booked before the CC hold, but she said she would have made an exception since I was rebooking another dining location and it was a honest mistake.

I would like to give a little credit to the OP for being responsible and calling to cancel her ressie even though it was made prior to the new cancellation policy. Since the policy wasn't in place when she made her ressie, of course she should not have been charged the fee! And I can easily see why she felt it was "unmagical" that the CM initially insisted she must pay one. I know that in my non-Disney world, if I called a restaurant to cancel a ressie, I too would be ticked if the person at the restaurant tried telling me I owed them $30!

That said, everyone is now on notice that, going forward, you make your ressies at your own risk and must check your flights, the weather forecasts, etc. ahead of time and cancel the day prior to avoid incurring fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter