• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed with Kidani at Animal Kingdom

plyman69

CruiserDude
just returned back from a six day trip to Animal Kingdom Kidani village. Overall I was very impressed with the room which was a 2 bedroom villa as well as the check in process. I was highly disappointed in the fact that there is no breakfast quick service offerings in the Kidani resort itself instead they offer hot sandwiches thru the gift shop or you can take a van over to Jambo house for quick service meal. you also had to access the pool through the parking garage I'm number one in the walk from the bus station to the pool and resorts took a good 15 minutes. This was a very long walk at the end of the day when carrying a six year old girl to the hotel after a long day in the park.

Sorry you didn't enjoy Kidani. But while many of your issue points are objectively true, they are also things anyone could easily find out before booking there, with ten minutes of Internet research.

Assuming that a given hotel had all rooms close to the pool, or that a quick service restaurant was located there, are things that would have been understandable when making a reservation back in 1980- but today I'd think most folks would research those types of issues online before booking their vacation at any given resort. This to me is kind of like reserving a room at the beach club, and then being upset that the room isn't oceanfront. (No kidding, someone actually reported that argument with the front desk in a thread last year)...

It's a very large and spread-out resort, and it doesn't have a quick service. But it's also perhaps the best themed resort in all of DVC, and many members love the place.

Hope you find a location more to your liking on your next visit.

I'm sorry it wasn't all you hoped it would be. However, like the previous poster said, I'm surprised you didn't realize these two issues beforehand. I know I saw tons of stuff about both problems on lots of different sites and in guide books as well.

In regards to breakfast, I think it is just sort of assumed that if you have a kitchen, you'll be eating most of your meals in your room. That's why the quick service is so limited at the deluxe hotels. People in value hotels have no kitchens or fridges, so they need more quick service places at the resorts. On the other hand, people with kitchens or microwaves, prefer cheap ready to eat meals they can make in their rooms. They usually go out to a sit down restaurant if they want to eat out, not a quick service place. Quick service type foods and snacks they can take care of themselves in their rooms. Faster and cheaper that way. There just is not enough of a demand for quick service at a resort like Kidani where people have kitchens. Also, a large number of people eat breakfast in their rooms even when staying at a value to save money, or eat at the parks because they leave so early, so breakfast isn't a huge concern for Disney anyway.

Kidani is ridiculously spread out. If it only took you 15 minutes, you were probably lucky. I've read a number of horror stories from people with mobility issues who ended up with 30 min plus walks. This is probably the number one complaint about Kidani.

However, there are two ways into the pool area. One is through the parking garage. This is the longer way and takes you in by the back near the bar. But, you can also enter from up near the fitness center. This way is shorter. You just go out the lobby, down the sidewalk, and are there. The spa and slide will be on your left, the kids splash zone straight ahead, and the main pool ahead on your left. I didn't really find the pool any farther away than any pools at any other hotel. Unless you request a poolside room, no Disney resort is going to place you super close to the pool. They all are a bit of a walk, and many of the value and moderate hotels have much worse walks depending which building you are put in.

Kidani is a stand alone DVC resort and IMO to cut construction costs, Disney opted for limited food offerings since Jambo is close by.

BLT, VWL, BWV, BCV, and VGF also has limited food offerings if any.

:earsboy: Bill

I have similar thoughts OP. Kidani is a very nice resort with many great qualities. But from the time details emerged I was very disappointed at no QS and also the pool is not the nicest to get to and probably a little undersized for the size of the resort.

If I am in a studio I stay at Jambo, but with a Villa, I do not use CS (too cheap) very much anyway so it never bothers me.

You can also go through the lobby to get to the pool.

We usually have a car, so I find it convenient to store any pool items in the car and just grab them on the way through to the pool.

First off, I understand OP's frustration with the long walk at AKV as there are many threads where folks chime in that the walk isn't bad at all and that those who complain about the walk are exaggerating...so it gives those who have yet to stay there a false idea because the walk to your room can be LONG. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3233990 (first page)

Though, still, AKV is my very fave DVC resort (when not considering location...then BCV edges out AKV a bit). We found the offerings in the shop just fine for breakfast and we really enjoyed Sanaa for lunch one day. We also walked out through lobby to get to pool and found the pool to be one of the best DVC pools out there...but that's just MO. You can get CS at the pool but it is pretty limited and my MIL didn't like her sandwich she got there. The walk over to Jambo wasn't bad for DH and I and our teens, but MIL and FIL had a tough time with it (they liked to take the van...you can also hop on a park bus and get off at Jambo). The decor and seeing the animals is just fabulous. I didn't even mind the dark rooms.

So when are each of the buildings at SSR and OKW going to get their own quick service dining? It's a long walk from South Point to Goods to Go. :rolleyes:

I've also heard that each of the buildings at the GF don't have a quick service dining location. And what about the Polynesian?

The things OP did not like about Kidani are exactly what has been mentioned most often as the downsides for Kidani: only a table service restaurant and no quick service or breakfast option, and the very long walks (and they can be very long: it is about 1/3 mile from the lobby to the end of the north wing, and more than 1/3 mile from end of south wing to the pool). The thing OP mentioned as liking about Kidani -- the impressive 2BR -- is exactly what most have mentioned as one of the best features of Kidani, the spacious and very nice 1 and 2BRs. On both sides of the equation I agree with the OP but reallly like staying at Kidani including because of the impressive 2BRs (and under-building parking). I can live without quick service or the breakfast option even though they would be nice to have (and I disagree with the logic of not including a quick service; someone concluded it would not be used enough to be profitable because Disney would put one in if it would have been profitable, but I question the belief that it would not be used enough).

The thing is every resort has its upsides and downsides (e.g., BCV has a great location but not an impressive view anywhere, BWV has great location, very impressive boardwalk view, but has no quick service and long walks to the elevator, VWL has a good location, nice boat rides, but really has only one main view: "trees," OKW has the largest rooms but limited restaurant options, long walks to amenities from most rooms, and is not near a park, likewise SSR has the unique treehouses, two feature pools, can walk to golf, but long walks to most places and not near a park, BLT has large and impressive 1 and 2BRs, many rooms with good views, and easy access to MK, but too small studios, questionable lower floor "theme park' view rooms, no restaurant options in the building and the bad (such as the stark, stone wall look) of the inside of the Contemporary (although the Contemporary has its own benefits-- there is likely no better character meal resataurant than Chef Mickey's; I have not been to VGF yet). In other words, depending on the individuals, one can walk away from any DVC resort happy or disappointed because none is anywhere near perfect. My personal preferences are BWV with boardwalk view and Kidani dedicated savanna view 2BRs, also like BLT for high floor lake view and SSR if I can get Congress Park view (that is a request that is usually met); no real desire to stay again at OKW, BCV, or VWL)

The one thing that I have learned is that Disney has a reason for everything they do and usually there is a business/money reason behind it. The cost of a restaurant when they build a DVC includes the planning, fixtures, space, code requirements, and on going profitability. DVD/Disney pays to build it and they collect the profit from it even though it's a DVC or in a DVC building. As owners we don't make money from the restaurants, stores, or other amenities but in theory we may collect lease money if the space was declared into the association.

BLT TOTWL is the only space that was declared that I know of and my guess is that Disney expected to close it down and they didn't want the expense of maintaining it. While it's making money, they lease it from the BLT association, when it stops making money, they will cancel the lease and close it.

:earsboy: Bill

Kidani is by far our favourite and home resort. We love the 2 bedrooms. We don't really care about the lack of QS as we have a full kitchen in the room. While we wouldn't cook on holiday we do use the kitchen, we do a Garden Grocer order and have milk, juices, sodas, water, tea and coffee in the room, we buy breakfast cereal, we also buy things like hot dogs or pizzas that we can just throw in the oven, bread for toasting, cheese and deli meats, chips, cookies and ice cream. All things we can grasped on and things the kids can help themselves to. We especially live doing this at ?Kidani as we always take a ?Savannah view so we have time back in the room to enjoy the view.

Personally I think Kidani is a beautiful resort and it is a shame not to be able to use it just for lack of a QS when you can do so much with the kitchen without resorting to actual cooking.

It's very true that each DVC resort has it's plusses and minuses.

Our two favorite resorts are complete opposites!!!!! Our favorite would have to be BLT. I know that the counter service isn't "on site", but really...it's like 5 mins away! If you stay at SSR or OKW, many of those buildings are much further away from any amenities than taking the elevator from BLT to the Grand Canyon Concourse are. I know the studios are small, DH and I stayed in one for our 20th anniversary, and said that really it's comfortable for two, not much more. However, we and our four kids are more than comfortable in our 2br villa!

Our second favorite is Kidani. Not near any park...doesn't have any counter service remotely close...but love it anyway. The villas are gorgeous! We make breakfast in our kitchen, so don't need a counter service in the morning anyway. Kidani has a much nicer pool area than BLT, and being able to spend time looking at the savannah is just awesome.

They do all have their pros and cons. That's why it's fun to try them all!!!! :)

Personally, I think its a great walk over to animal kingdom jambo house. Maybe not so much with a child, but by myself it's not that bad. If I plan to stay at kidani I will plan to have groceries delivered so that if I'm Hungry I don't have to rely on the walk over the whole length of the trip.

I agree that this is something than one could have known ahead of time. IMO it's lucky to have the TS option. IIRC they did experiment with having some QS options through Sanaa's bar and I must assume it didn't pan out since it has not continued.

For a DIS'er with 7 posts in 9 years, I am guessing that you don't really care what people think, but it is a way for folks to express opinions about a resort that is our personally favorite and is, on the whole, underrated and under-appreciated on these DVC boards.

This resort has been described as isolate, distant, and dark. All qualities that I enjoy. It is hard to find a setting at WDW where one can return to their room, pour a glass of wine, and sit on the balcony to find peace and quiet. Upon returning to Kidani, I feel like I have escaped the chaos of the parks and arrived at my private African retreat. The rooms are dark and serene. The hallways are full of beautiful and important African art and artifacts. The fire pit is a wonderful place to sit and enjoy the quiet splendor of the savanna. The pool area is a tropical oasis in the middle of an African forest.

We have an almost 8 yo son, and I can appreciate the comment about carrying a child to the room at the end of the day. That is why we still had a stroller at age 6. The hallways are long, but having stayed in the last studio on the end of the necklace towards Jambo, it did not take us more than 10 minutes to get to the bus stop. Hallway walking times at Kidani are regularly over-estimated and generally are not any worse than walking from MK to BLT or the IG to BWV, which no one seems to have a problem with. Even the walk from the CR monorail station to BLT seems long to me, but not any different than the walk from the Kidani bus stop to any room at Kidani.

The lack (or presence) of a quick service has not been an issue for our family. We either do cereal bars or eat at the park when we get there. We don't like to spend time at a restaurant in the AM when we could be on TSMM or BTMRR.

We all have our DVC favorites. That is the great thing about DVC. You can find what you like and stick to it. Hopefully you next stay is not so disappointing. For me, I will take the tranquility and warmth of Kidani over the frenetic atmosphere and modern decor of BLT anytime.

I was highly disappointed in the fact that there is no breakfast quick service offerings in the Kidani resort itself instead they offer hot sandwiches thru the gift shop or you can take a van over to Jambo house for quick service meal. you also had to access the pool through the parking garage I'm number one in the walk from the bus station to the pool and resorts took a good 15 minutes. This was a very long walk at the end of the day when carrying a six year old girl to the hotel after a long day in the park.

Definitely can appreciate your disappointment. I guess it serves as a lesson for anyone going on vacation to do your homework on where you are staying and what is available (and the hours it is available). I love Jambo house, not a fan of Kidani (though there are PLENTY who love it). While the units are nice I don't care for the same things you mentioned as well as I'm not a fan of the physical look of the building, especially compared to Jambo.

My home resort is BWV. I know that my QS is the bakery and Pizza Window and very limited food at the pool. Just have to know what you like and what the resort offers and doesn't offer. Better luck (and planning) for your next trip no matter where it is.

While Kidani is my favorite DVC I have to agree with the op, the food choices are terrible.

OP- we didn't care for Kidani either. Just generally too dark, furniture was too big, animals weren't out (cold), had to walk to Jambo for any sort of entertainment or food (i did know that before but it was like 40 and raining.) I am thrilled some people love it, that's what makes booking easier right!

Just by the way- It cracks me up that most of this thread points out that the OP could have researched a little more...because there are currently 48368 threads about FP+ and MB and "how was I supposed to know" when the answer would be "research your vacation a little more". You can go to those threads and say it but you will be shut down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter