• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed with Kidani at Animal Kingdom

OP- We stayed at Kidani last year for a few days. I thought the rooms were nice. A little dark, but pretty nice. I too thought the halls were long. We didn't have a room anywhere near the lobby.
Sometimes you really can't get a good feel for a resort until you are there. I liked the pool area and my kids liked the arcade.
I don't think I will be trying to get another ressie anytime soon but I can see how people find the resort relaxing.

One positive note about DVC is that they do have a nice assortment of accommodations to choose from.

I am one who really loves Kidani. I have stayed at Jambo, but, like Kidani better, even with all of its flaws. We usually stay in a 1BR, and what I like best about Kidani is that there are two bathrooms. Our son is now a 16 yo, and I totally love having 2 bathrooms. I like not having to go in his bathroom for a week. We find that we seldom go to Mara. We have a car, and get basic breakfast stuff for in the room. My complaint, which is a general compaint about Orlando, and not specifically Disney or even less so, Kidani, is that grocery stores close early, and that Walmart near Disney has the worst produce I have ever encountered anywhere. One vacation, I could not find any fruit at Walmart that I wanted to spend my hard earned money on, that could have been eaten 4 days into the trip. It was that bad. So, I adapted by bringing breakfast food from home--usually English muffins, jam or preserves, peanut butter, coffee, filters. Then, we don't have to rush to the grocery as soon as we get into a room.

For a DIS'er with 7 posts in 9 years, I am guessing that you don't really care what people think, but it is a way for folks to express opinions about a resort that is our personally favorite and is, on the whole, underrated and under-appreciated on these DVC boards. This resort has been described as isolate, distant, and dark. All qualities that I enjoy. It is hard to find a setting at WDW where one can return to their room, pour a glass of wine, and sit on the balcony to find peace and quiet. Upon returning to Kidani, I feel like I have escaped the chaos of the parks and arrived at my private African retreat. The rooms are dark and serene. The hallways are full of beautiful and important African art and artifacts. The fire pit is a wonderful place to sit and enjoy the quiet splendor of the savanna. The pool area is a tropical oasis in the middle of an African forest. We have an almost 8 yo son, and I can appreciate the comment about carrying a child to the room at the end of the day. That is why we still had a stroller at age 6. The hallways are long, but having stayed in the last studio on the end of the necklace towards Jambo, it did not take us more than 10 minutes to get to the bus stop. Hallway walking times at Kidani are regularly over-estimated and generally are not any worse than walking from MK to BLT or the IG to BWV, which no one seems to have a problem with. Even the walk from the CR monorail station to BLT seems long to me, but not any different than the walk from the Kidani bus stop to any room at Kidani. The lack (or presence) of a quick service has not been an issue for our family. We either do cereal bars or eat at the park when we get there. We don't like to spend time at a restaurant in the AM when we could be on TSMM or BTMRR. We all have our DVC favorites. That is the great thing about DVC. You can find what you like and stick to it. Hopefully you next stay is not so disappointing. For me, I will take the tranquility and warmth of Kidani over the frenetic atmosphere and modern decor of BLT anytime.

Completely Agree :)

Kidani is our favorite.

Experiment, live and learn. My goal has been to try all the DVC resorts over time but somehow I got sidetracked by my 2 favorites. I did discover one I truly disliked, and one that was just 'meh' for me, so I completely understand the OP's point of view. I can also sympathize with carrying a child back to the room after they (and you) are exhausted. My 4yo son wore a size 8 when we visited when he was young. I rented strollers in the parks when I needed them, but more often than not I ended up carrying him dangly legs and all. Built up some intense momma-muscles that trip :D

For me, Kidani ranks tied with VWL as #1 out of the 6 onsite DVC resorts we've tried. We have yet to stay in a unit with a full kitchen at Kidani, but even with just a studio have never found the need to have an on-site breakfast place. It's the easiest meal to prepare!

The lack of QS, the distance from Jambo, and the fact that you have to walk kind of far to just to get to the pool is why I wouldn't stay there and didn't purchase there. I checked it out thoroughly on a visit to WDW once. I did the walk, explored Kidani and Jambo, etc. I don't like to cook on vacation, I don't use a car at WDW, and don't Ike the idea of hassling with grocery delivery. Also the food options in the resort stores are limited. I understand the OP's frustration.

It's ok not to like a resort. I don't get why people even care when someone doesn't. If you love it that's great. I love VWL but some people don't like the theming, and other stuff. Doesn't bother me one bit.

OP- we didn't care for Kidani either. Just generally too dark, furniture was too big, animals weren't out (cold), had to walk to Jambo for any sort of entertainment or food (i did know that before but it was like 40 and raining.) I am thrilled some people love it, that's what makes booking easier right!

Just by the way- It cracks me up that most of this thread points out that the OP could have researched a little more...because there are currently 48368 threads about FP+ and MB and "how was I supposed to know" when the answer would be "research your vacation a little more". You can go to those threads and say it but you will be shut down.
It's very easy to know what food choices are at a given resort at Disney. IF it's important to anyone you'd think they'd check it out. I could see it for someone who'd never been to WDW and was not aware of DIS but that's about it. The FP+ is a totally different issue, it's new and confusing so it's not a reasonable comparison. The OP either knew or should have known about the food options available and absolutely had the opportunity to find out if it was important to them. Now I could see someone saying they knew and it was more of an issue than they anticipated but to stay and complain in this situation like it should have been available seems disingenuous to me.

It's very easy to know what food choices are at a given resort at Disney. IF it's important to anyone you'd think they'd check it out. I could see it for someone who'd never been to WDW and was not aware of DIS but that's about it. The FP+ is a totally different issue, it's new and confusing so it's not a reasonable comparison. The OP either knew or should have known about the food options available and absolutely had the opportunity to find out if it was important to them. Now I could see someone saying they knew and it was more of an issue than they anticipated but to stay and complain in this situation like it should have been available seems disingenuous to me.

I do agree that if you do some research it is easy to find out but for AKV I think there's also the possibility for some confusion if you don't check multiple places. For example here is what it says on Disney's website for amentities specifically under the Kidani resort:

"Savor American classics and African specialties for breakfast, lunch and dinner at this Resort hotel that boasts authentic African-inspired architecture and a wildlife preserve.
Dining Options

Fine/Signature Dining
Unique/Themed Dining
Quick-Service
Lounges
24-Hour, In-Room Dining

Fine/Signature Dining

Jiko – The Cooking Place

Unique/Themed Dining

Boma – Flavors of Africa
Sanaa
Jiko Wine Tasting

Quick-Service

The Mara
Maji Pool Bar
Uzima Springs Pool Bar

Lounges

Cape Town Lounge and Wine Bar
Victoria Falls Lounge

In-Room Dining

24-Hour Room Service"

The farthest wing at Jambo puts you just as far from Uzima Springs pool, IMO. I do agree the size of Samawati Springs pool at Kidani is a bit on the small side, but....the slide whips you around pretty good, whereas the Uzima Springs pool slide is perhaps the worst at Disney. Plus the water park is a blast for kids.

I agree big time about the lack of CS, but the huge advantage Kidani has over every other resort (except OKW) is how driver-friendly it is! For someone like me who rarely uses the bus system (and eats out a ton) this resort is a dream.

just returned back from a six day trip to Animal Kingdom Kidani village. Overall I was very impressed with the room which was a 2 bedroom villa as well as the check in process. I was highly disappointed in the fact that there is no breakfast quick service offerings in the Kidani resort itself instead they offer hot sandwiches thru the gift shop or you can take a van over to Jambo house for quick service meal. you also had to access the pool through the parking garage I'm number one in the walk from the bus station to the pool and resorts took a good 15 minutes. This was a very long walk at the end of the day when carrying a six year old girl to the hotel after a long day in the park.

I'm surprised you were pleased with the check-in process. That was one thing I was displeased about. I had done on-line check in, but obviously that meant nothing. I asked the CM at the front of the line if I still had to wait in the same line if I'd done on-line check in. She looked at me like "on line check in" was a foreign language, and just said "Yes". When I got to check in, I realized why-there was no separate sign for on-line check in, nor was my check in process any different than if I hadn't done on line check in. Obviously, for me at least, spending the time doing on line check in at Kidani had just been a waste of time.

I'm surprised you were pleased with the check-in process. That was one thing I was displeased about. I had done on-line check in, but obviously that meant nothing. I asked the CM at the front of the line if I still had to wait in the same line if I'd done on-line check in. She looked at me like "on line check in" was a foreign language, and just said "Yes". When I got to check in, I realized why-there was no separate sign for on-line check in, nor was my check in process any different than if I hadn't done on line check in. Obviously, for me at least, spending the time doing on line check in at Kidani had just been a waste of time.

Front Desk operations is a mixed bag at all of the resorts. I agree that online check in isn't beneficial in most cases. We have to remember that it's a Disney product for cash resorts who may have 30 people checking in all at once.

:earsboy: Bill

I do agree that if you do some research it is easy to find out but for AKV I think there's also the possibility for some confusion if you don't check multiple places. For example here is what it says on Disney's website for amentities specifically under the Kidani resort:

"Savor American classics and African specialties for breakfast, lunch and dinner at this Resort hotel that boasts authentic African-inspired architecture and a wildlife preserve.
Dining Options

Fine/Signature Dining
Unique/Themed Dining
Quick-Service
Lounges
24-Hour, In-Room Dining

Fine/Signature Dining

Jiko – The Cooking Place

Unique/Themed Dining

Boma – Flavors of Africa
Sanaa
Jiko Wine Tasting

Quick-Service

The Mara
Maji Pool Bar
Uzima Springs Pool Bar

Lounges

Cape Town Lounge and Wine Bar
Victoria Falls Lounge

In-Room Dining

24-Hour Room Service"
I don't think there's any room for confusion for a regular for whom the options are important.

That's strange there used to be a separate online check in desk right next to the bell services desk.

Kidani's not the place to be if having a handy quick service option that serves hot breakfast is a very important component of your vacation.

There are plenty for whom it isn't important, or they don't mind catching a ride to Jambo.

I don't think there's any room for confusion for a regular for whom the options are important.

But it could easily be for someone who isn't.

Regulars also know how poor the information from Disney itself can be. The casual or new visitor may easily assume it's the best place for info.

But it could easily be for someone who isn't. Regulars also know how poor the information from Disney itself can be. The casual or new visitor may easily assume it's the best place for info.
I'd put Anyone who's been a DIS member for almost 10 yrs in the "knew or should have known" category just in that criteria alone. ESP if it was an important issue for them and they list their interests as travel and cruising. Plus I didn't get the impression they were DVC or Disney newbies.

Loved Kidani- My and my 8 year old went "walkabout" to Jambo. Loved the size of the pool and didn't go thru the garage to get there the first time.

It is all about taste and personal preferences. Kidani is "dark." BLT is "cold." I own at BLT and am staying at Kidani.... go figure.

I am a member of a forum where the mantra is "read, read and read some more..." I spent six months researching everything, a large part of it while I was waiting for resale to go thru. I still have questions. Sometimes I have dumb ones.....

I like the statment above....Live and learn and pick new favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter