Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a cruise booked thru Dreams and I'm very concerned about giving them my final payment. What happens to our reservation if Dreams goes under?
they’re not going under. If you feel weird about contributing financially, then just let this be the last thing you do to not complicate things (though, I’d imagine there’s going to be some separation of people soon)

Do your guys think that Eric Gross has anything to add to this?
He was the former cohost (and I believe real estate business partner) for the old Moving To Orlando show, before all his episodes were deleted/made private (and his name was even banned on this website, hence my misspelling).
That was soooo weird.
Of course, that could have been related to the business and perhaps Eric did something shady to make Pete want to disassociate from him, but who knows.

I understand where you are coming from and want to put myself out there a little more. So I’ll try to do that without crossing anyone else’s boundaries the best I can. I am still processing all of this and reflecting on my own experiences and yes, I have my own experiences and no, they are not to the level of the ones you already saw. I’m still working through all of that. Things did not go well for me after I had my medical issue. I appreciate everyone checking in on me and such and for the most part I haven’t really replied to most of your nice comments because in part I’m really not sure what to say. I’m traumatized and I feel like my life was falling apart and I have nobody to talk to and honestly not doing very great. Social media shows how awesome other people’s life is and stuff but that’s people showing their best days, or just forcing yourself to be okay because who am I to have a bad day? When I got this job I had just got out of active duty military - spent one year in a corporate office and hated my life - then landed a job doing theme park content I felt like I actually manifested. My dream at the time actually came true. I’m still working through stuff, as I’m sure many people are.
Fiasco- I just want to say you were by far my favorite personality on the DIS. Always prepared- and always true to yourself. I have great respect for your military service as well. You have my support in whatever comes next (keep showing up prepared, and with passion- and great things will happen- you have all those tools in spades- most don't). Please keep us informed as to your comings and goings, as I am sure I am not alone. Take care of yourself.

Fiasco- I just want to say you were by far my favorite personality on the DIS. Always prepared- and always true to yourself. I have great respect for your military service as well. You have my support in whatever comes next (keep showing up prepared, and with passion- and great things will happen- you have all those tools in spades- most don't). Please keep us informed as to your comings and goings, as I am sure I am not alone. Take care of yourself
@Cafiasco I feel the same. Always missed you on the show after you left. Wishing you all the healing vibes needed as well as all the other people negatively affected and traumatized. So sad for people to go through this 😞

I don't think it's so much that people are discounting what Dustin said about others not knowing. I think it's more that people are questioning the responses (or lack thereof) that are happening now.

Compare it to an abused child calling out not only the abusive parent, but the parent who failed to protect them. In many cases, that other parent didn't know about the abuse, or at least not the extent of it. That may be because they intentionally turned a blind eye to it. It may also be because they were consumed by their own trauma, and self-preservation.

Deciding whether to continue a relationship with the other parent often depends on their response to the disclosure. Do they believe the victim and acknowledge their failure, or do they double down on "I didn't know?" Time will tell which side each member of this team will choose.
You are saying two different things. They are not attacking the team but want a statement and that they are like the other parent in a abusive situation..

Multiple team members have said the didn't. Even expressing they wish they did. Dustin said they didn't know. Sean said he tried to protect the team.

Pointing fingers and judging the team is not helping Dustin and Sean at all. The WHOLE damn team has some sort of trauma from this man. People need to move on to something else and give it a rest.

One interesting thing going forward will be how much is shared about Pete’s ownership in the Dis. One of the advantages of being a private company is you wouldn’t and aren’t required to disclose that. People seem angry and interested if their money is finding his pocket. It seems a real likelihood just because he is off the shows he could still own a major piece of the company as closely held businesses can be particularly tricky to unwind. That will be difficult to address publicly, but I understand why people care.

Longtime DISer, not a podcast listener, so not familiar with the players other than Pete, but been around long enough to see how drama / polarizing conversations are usually treated throughout the forum. So I agree with those calling for a commitment to some level of transparency from staff and partners. I can understand why a speculative, gossipy free-for-all is not in anyone's best interests, but I keep having scenes from the beginning of Inside Out pop into my head, where Joy becomes so desperate to maintain the calm & happy she is motivated to throw out the sad core memory she didn't want, that sets off the chain of destabilization.

My concern is that the moderators / staff will become so tired of processing their own feelings and maintaining control the forums that the feelings of wanting to shut down the forum side of things, completely, to limit the damage to their own hearts and souls becomes so strong that it will be like Joy trying to throw that core memory away. The strength of any social media is in the userbase and this is the kind of news will affect participation rates, financial site support, etc. unless people trust that the situation is being handled appropriately. IMO, that includes making the forums, at large, aware of the legal issues which are of public record and not gossip, as well as the existence of complaints regarding toxic working conditions including the harassment, so that users can make informed decisions of how much traffic and support they wish to continue to give the DIS instead of the continuation of people just up and disappearing. Updates concerning Pete's continued involvement in the various business entities, and some insight (not a full on play-by-play) into the general steps being taken to remove him, if that is indeed the plan. I've read a lot of assumptions that he will eventually be gone, given the nature of the allegations, but I've been around the block long enough to know that doesn't always work out. He would have to agree to be bought out, which may not be a smooth process, given how he has been described, and however the Amex lawsuit is resolved absolutely could affect the financial viability side. If I was a Dreams customer, while I wouldn't fear for any current bookings / money, I would be concerned that my agent might not be available in the future as the result of all of this. Those are the types of questions that will need to be addressed, and the more transparent those questions are handled, it might make it easier to control the speculative and salacious gossip.

But when I book a cruise on Royal Caribbean I make payments to DU (through the client payment portal) and DU then send me a confirmation. I guess I’m trying to understand if DU hold that money or send it right away to Royal Caribbean. My trip is in a couple weeks so I’m all good but if I were to book another trip it would be nice to have clarification on whether my payments are held or actually go immediately to the cruise line.

Dreams does not charge your credit card or take payment for any travel booked. Your credit card information is provided to the travel supplier (Royal, DCL, WDW, etc) and is charged by them. You can confirm this on your credit card statement, Dreams will never show as the payee. The payment portal is simply to collect the credit card information in a secure manner to then pass on.

You are saying two different things. They are not attacking the team but want a statement and that they are like the other parent in a abusive situation..

Multiple team members have said the didn't. Even expressing they wish they did. Dustin said they didn't know. Sean said he tried to protect the team.

Pointing fingers and judging the team is not helping Dustin and Sean at all. The WHOLE damn team has some sort of trauma from this man. People need to move on to something else and give it a rest.
I'm actually doing the opposite of judging the whole team for the past. And I am acknowledging they all have some level of trauma (or tried to, inartfully, perhaps). I also strongly believe it's their own trauma that contributed to their not seeing what was happening right in front of them.

But there's a big difference between, "I didn't know the full extent, but should have suspected something, because I witnessed and/or experienced abusive behavior, too" and "I am completely blindsided by this disclosure." Even if the SA was kept hidden, the power imbalance in the employer/employee relationship certainly wasn't.

I also have a cruise booked thru Dreams and I'm very concerned about giving them my final payment. What happens to our reservation if Dreams goes under?
Dreams is not going under. That being said, I understand your question and concern. Your reservation is booked directly with the cruise line. Dreams is the travel agent on record. This means we collect and provide credit card payments to the cruise online (Dreams does NOT charge your credit card), we assist with the details of the reservation and any questions/issues along the way. The reservation itself is booked direct with the cruise line, you are given a cruise line reservation number and you can access the reservation on the cruise line site. On a side note, when electing to use any travel agency, this should also be something you look out for.

While Dreams is the travel agency of record, if it went under (its not!) the cruise line has your reservation and the funds for that reservation. We used to talk about this on the Dreams Podcast, we feel it is very important that people know no matter what happens their reservation (and money) are protected.

Your reservation will still be secure, as long as all payments have been made. If anything, Dreams may not collect the commission after you travel, but your reservation wouldn’t be affected.

Anyone with travel-related questions should be direct them to their Dreams agent, or John Maji.

John needs to send an email to all currently-booked clients that answers these FAQs since they are popping up from multiple people (even if the email does not specifically mention current events at all).

Edit: it looks like Tracey posted at the same time as me, please go by what she said!

The last thing I'll say, for now... the statement I made and the red flags mentioned are in regard to the story Dustin shared and that relationship. I have not yet commented about the working environment at The DIS and I don't plan on it at this time. I am an employee of Dreams Unlimited Travel and my focus right now is helping out however I can for us to have a positive future and continue making entertaining and helpful content.

What I will say is I am extremely appreciative of the opportunities and support I've been given within this company, the camaraderie I've shared with past and current team members, and the friendships that have developed with the team as well as the listeners and viewers. Every time a team member leaves there is a ton of speculation whether it is announced or it happens quietly. I know that it's confusing and frustrating for many of you in those moments and it paints a picture in a time like this.

I have lost touch with a few of the former team members, but there's not a single one of them that I wouldn't lend a hand or ear to if they needed it. I have always tried my best to support them. They have and continue to do the same for me. I do not have a story like Dustin's, nor do I believe anyone else on our team does, but everyone who has ever worked in the company does share a lot of commonalities. Whether people choose to leave or the choice is made for them, we were all very aware of the same things and the difficulties of working in such an abnormal environment.

I am also happy to share more about the history of the studio and the move if anyone would like to know more but would prefer to keep it separate from this post.
I think you should do what Molly has done and go out on your own. I think you would do amazing!!

Over the last 4 years Disney has slowly been souring for me just with all the changes they have made. And this seems to be more ontop of that - overall ruining the feelings I had for Disney that I’ve built over a lifetime.
You just said a word today! That's how I've been feeling. Everything that has to do with Disney is turning sour including my beloved theme parks. And now this.

I don’t think the team understands something about the situation… and it’s that the same old tired lines they always use won’t work anymore:

“It’s a private matter, you’re not entitled to know, how dare you ask something like that…”

That’s gone. These things have been made public, and now since the entire company depends on Disney fans either buying vacations from Dreams Unlimited, using these boards, watching these youtube videos, and donating to Patreon, we’re entitled to know some things if we want to continue supporting the DIS and all its facets.

We want to know who knew what when. If anyone was aware and looked the other way, I don’t want to support them in any way. If people tried to suppress it in any way (such as the move out of the studio), I’m out. But if people knew and tried to help or wanted to get out but couldn’t, or were totally unaware of the major issues, that is understandable and forgivable completely. But to say there were plenty of red flags and then say you’re shocked? It doesn’t make sense and gives the impression we’re not being told the truth.

The DIS and Dreams are not entitled to our support, and if we want HONEST communication to continue to support them, that’s a reasonable request. You’re free not to give it; we’re free not to support you anymore.

Also, and probably most importantly, is Pete benefiting from any of this? Does just being on these boards support Pete? What about the Patreon donations? What about booking through Dreams?

Ultimately, it’s a desire for knowledge about an awful situation to try and make sense of the madness. And I know it’s a tiny fraction of what the team is dealing with and absolutely insignificant to the point of laughable to what the actual victims dealt with. But it’s not done out of malice. It’s done out of hurt and disappointment and disillusionment (again, in a very very small semblance compared to the bigger picture, I know).

I think some of us are anxious for answers because the DIS was important in a silly little way. I recently wrote a book about Disney and mental health, which is currently being published, and I name-checked the DisBoards as a place that Disney fans could go for community, and to feel included. I interviewed one of the most beloved people on these forums, who is sadly not with us anymore about it, about how much the DISBoards helped her. This place mattered. These people mattered. I’ve met some of them. I loved them as commentators. It was a part of the Disney fandom. And now it’s potentially stained in a way that is hard to overcome, but CAN be overcome… we just want to hear the truth and be allowed open communication.
Good grief, get over yourself. You don’t want to support them then leave the boards, drop Patreon, don’t use Dreams, etc. You have no ’right to know,’ since you are not part of this team. None of us do and the team has been good enough to give us a bit of information as they navigate their way through this.

It is true that the travel agent doesn't get paid until the trip is taken. I think that if a travel agency dissolves, the bookings would revert back to Disney but I don't know for sure. I would think that if DU books them with Disney directly, and your payment it made to Disney and not to DU, then it reverts to Disney. I haven't ever booked with DU because I've been DVC for nearly 2 decades. However, that said, before I was DVC, I booked my Disney vacations through AAA. And I believe payments went to AAA, not Disney. So I'm not sure which way DU operates. Anyone know? 🤔
You pay the TA ie: give them your cc info (in this case, DU) and they pay Disney.

Last edited:
Good grief, get over yourself. You don’t want to support them then leave the boards, drop Patreon, don’t use Dreams, etc. You have no ’right to know,’ since you are not part of this team. None of us do and the team has been good enough to give us a bit of information as they navigate their way through this.

I mean… that’s the exact point of the comment. I want to continue to support them but I’d need to see certain things first. You disagree - good on ya.

This attitude of “the team doesn’t have to tell us anything” is so strange. So we should just be okay with hearing these horrible stories and that’s it? We as supporters don’t deserve to hear the team’s reactions, responses, plans going forward?

And I’m not saying the team hasn’t started to communicate a little more, but the pearl-clutching and “how dare you!” protectionist attitude is so off to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter