Discount park hoppers through Marching Band - upgradable?

chan

Earning My Ears
My son is going to be in marching band at Disney (Magic Kingdom) this April, and the group is offering the parents/families who are going to purchase the discounted 4-Day park hopper that the students in the band are receiving. It's a significant discount. My husband, daughter and I will be going down there and staying for several days beyond when the marching band leaves (leaving my son with us as well)...so we were going to buy tickets on our own for the three of us not in the marching band since we need 7 days, and then a 3 day ticket for my son. But I wondered if they will let us upgrade the 4-day park hopper to 7 days. In the past, we have been able to upgrade pre-purchased tickets from travel agencies that offer at a small discount, but they looked the same as regular tickets, so when we went to the gate to upgrade, they only charged the difference between the two # of days for each ticket from the gate price (not difference from new # of days at gate price to old # of days at discount price).

But since these 4-day park hoppers are at a significant discount through the performing arts consultants at Disney World, I don't know what the tickets look like or if they will be coded with special restrictions.

Either way, we will purchase one of the discounted tickets for my son, in case it isn't upgradable, and then at least he will have the two. But I wondered if someone here might know anything about that and whether I should just get the discounted tickets for all of us.

TIA!

We purchased discounted tickets for a dance event (coordinated by an outside agency). They were considered special event tickets and could not be upgraded. They were also only good for a designated period of time (a week prior to the event through a week after the event). We were planning to upgrade them to APs, so we did not purchase tickets for the rest of our family. We had to purchase one for my daughter because it was part of the package. In the end, we were able to transfer the discounted ticket to my sister-in-law (before it was activated) and bought another ticket for my daughter. Be sure to ask the event coordinator about restrictions before purchasing. And have fun!!!

I have done several trips bringing my choir. The WDW Performing Arts tickets are special event tickets limited to use specific dates surrounding the event, and are not upgradable or adaptable in any way. Tried to upgrade mine to an AP each time, to no avail, each time, with the same explanation, each time. At least CMs have that part of the policy learned...LOL!

Thank you both! After your replies, I decided to buy our own multi-day ticket that we can upgrade at our discretion and maybe just get an additional discounted ticket for my son (he gets one with the package for the 4 days that he's with his marching band, so we'll get one more 4-day discounted so that he can use when he's with us for another 3 days after...which would cost less than if we purchased a separate 3-day ticket for him by ourselves.)

Thank you both! After your replies, I decided to buy our own multi-day ticket that we can upgrade at our discretion and maybe just get an additional discounted ticket for my son (he gets one with the package for the 4 days that he's with his marching band, so we'll get one more 4-day discounted so that he can use when he's with us for another 3 days after...which would cost less than if we purchased a separate 3-day ticket for him by ourselves.)
Check with the coordinating organization to see if you can add days to your son’s ticket. We were able to do so, and it would be cheaper than buying a second 3-day ticket.

it sounds similar to the discounted tickets we get through the military - they are not upgradable

I am watching this thread since my daughter's marching band will be going to WDW in January 2020. So, I am considering extending our stay like you are. I have never been at Christmas time. know it will be crazy busy, especially since the Star Wars area will be open by then. Lots of planning to consider, and I do not even have any confirmed dates or details yet. The band director will probably not give us any details until late March or early April.

Be careful about purchasing 2 tickets for your son. When my boys went (two separate trips) the tickets were for specific dates and could not be used otherwise.

Be careful about purchasing 2 tickets for your son. When my boys went (two separate trips) the tickets were for specific dates and could not be used otherwise.

This is true, they are for specific dates. Ask about buying a longer pass instead.

Just to add a note about marching bands down Main Street at MK. My nephew did this in 2017. My sister told us "he will be marching in the parade". Not true. They march down Main Street before the parade...like 40 minutes before the parade. All by themselves. There were two bands that day. Each marched separately by about 10 minutes. Make sure you know what time they will be marching or you'll miss it.

Just to add a note about marching bands down Main Street at MK. My nephew did this in 2017. My sister told us "he will be marching in the parade". Not true. They march down Main Street before the parade...like 40 minutes before the parade. All by themselves. There were two bands that day. Each marched separately by about 10 minutes. Make sure you know what time they will be marching or you'll miss it.

This information is correct. My son's band marched at the Magic Kingdom in 2014. I, originally thought that they were going to be in the regular Disney parade but like wdw&sonny states, the high school bands just march in their own parade. Their parade starts at the fire station right be the main train station and then proceeds up Main Street, around the castle and then through Frontierland. They end by Splash Mountain. We watched the parade at the beginning and then just tagged along beside the band on the sidewalk so we could get more photos of them and see them. Most of the families that came with the band did the same thing. Once the band went behind the gate by Splash Mountain we just toured the park. I think that was the time that they then went on to the performing center and had band workshops and their recording session. It was a fun trip. I have lots of pictures in my Trip Report from that trip. The link is in my signature.

I was hoping my daughter's band would do the same thing. Instead they are participating in the Outback Bowl 2020 on January 1st in Tampa and then spending about three or four days at Disney or Universal. It has not been decided which one. Either way, I plan to come down and visit Disney while the band is in the area. I hope the band is at Disney so I can meet up with my daughter for a few hours and tour a park.

This information is correct. My son's band marched at the Magic Kingdom in 2014. I, originally thought that they were going to be in the regular Disney parade but like wdw&sonny states, the high school bands just march in their own parade. Their parade starts at the fire station right be the main train station and then proceeds up Main Street, around the castle and then through Frontierland. They end by Splash Mountain. We watched the parade at the beginning and then just tagged along beside the band on the sidewalk so we could get more photos of them and see them. Most of the families that came with the band did the same thing. Once the band went behind the gate by Splash Mountain we just toured the park. I think that was the time that they then went on to the performing center and had band workshops and their recording session. It was a fun trip. I have lots of pictures in my Trip Report from that trip. The link is in my signature.

I was hoping my daughter's band would do the same thing. Instead they are participating in the Outback Bowl 2020 on January 1st in Tampa and then spending about three or four days at Disney or Universal. It has not been decided which one. Either way, I plan to come down and visit Disney while the band is in the area. I hope the band is at Disney so I can meet up with my daughter for a few hours and tour a park.

My daughters band went to outback bowl this year and actually won the competition Spirit Award grand Champions. It was an amazing trip for the kids. They worked so hard but had so much fun. Unfortunately we live in a very poor area so they only spent 1 day at Disney - MK on 1/2 when it was jam packed with people. They had a blast. We return 2021-22 to compete New Year’s Day 2022. My daughter loved playing in the pregame show (they got to perform part of their football season half time show) and she hated the mass band during halftime of the game lol.

My son's band marched at the Magic Kingdom in 2014... the high school bands just march in their own parade. Their parade starts at the fire station right be the main train station and then proceeds up Main Street, around the castle and then through Frontierland. They end by Splash Mountain.
That was the general case in 2014.
All MK parades (including the "pre-parades with youth bands) now begin in Frontierland and end at Town Square at the front of MK.

If your band director will allow it, I’m pretty sure you can order discounted tickets for a number of days of your choosing. I know they usually just offer the same as the band kids are getting, but it is actually possible to do a different length of stay if you ask your director nicely.

My daughters band went to outback bowl this year and actually won the competition Spirit Award grand Champions. It was an amazing trip for the kids. They worked so hard but had so much fun. Unfortunately we live in a very poor area so they only spent 1 day at Disney - MK on 1/2 when it was jam packed with people. They had a blast. We return 2021-22 to compete New Year’s Day 2022. My daughter loved playing in the pregame show (they got to perform part of their football season half time show) and she hated the mass band during halftime of the game lol.

Good to hear your daughter's band had a nice time. And fantastic news that they were grand champions for the Spirit Award.

That was the general case in 2014.
All MK parades (including the "pre-parades with youth bands) now begin in Frontierland and end at Town Square at the front of MK.
I am glad you were able to give us an updated parade route outline. That information is very helpful for parents who tag along with the bands to watch them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter