Discover Cove First Visit

Tiberella626

Mouseketeer
Our family is looking to break up the Disney Days by adding a day for Discovery Cove. This would be our first time to Discovery Cove. My big question is should we do trainer for the day or just the dolphin experience. This trip would consist of 40 yr old parents and 2 boys ages 11 and 8. Is trainer for the day too much to where you cant enjoy the lazy river and other stuff? I want stuff to do but I don't want to miss a little relax time.

I don't think you need trainer for a day, especially for a first visit. Though it doesn't sound like much on paper, there really is plenty to do to take up the whole day. As long as you are going to take your time enjoying everythong, and probably pop back and forth between the activities once. The lazy river is quite long with a few offshoots. I don't spend any time lounging when I go, and still stay through to the 5pm close with just enjoying all the activities, lunch, etc. It is a relaxed pace & no rushing, perfect "break" day.

Of course, I haven't actually done the trainer for a day... but I really think you'll fill the day with the included activities.

I've been about 6 times. ONCE we did Swim with a Dolphin and every other time we just did the Resort Day Package. We open and close the park, have plenty to do without any formal activity. For first time I'd just do the Swim, so you can enjoy the day.

We were there on 5/28 for a first time visit with our two 9-year olds. We originally had the flamingo mingle booked plus the dolphin encounter, but the flamingos were cancelled the day prior due to bird flu. We still had more than enough to do and I don't think I would have wanted to add in the trainer for a day, although I'm sure it's amazing. The dolphin experience is really special (if you've never done it before). But for my kids, they could have spent the entire day snorkeling in the Grand Reef with the giant fish and rays. We did the lazy river once just to check it out, then it was back to the reef! The animal care experts are so knowledgeable and happy to share info, too.

I think just the dolphin experience would be great. With two meals and all of the other activities, it’s easy to fill the day.

Also, remember to apply the DC sunscreen liberally & frequently throughout the day. It is not as good as normal sunscreen and you will burn burn burn if you think 1-2 applications will last the day. Learned the hard way, forgot, then learned it again...

We did trainer once and were underwhelmed, though to be fair it was only half a day due to COVID. The extra dolphin swim was cool but not NECESSARY. The flamingo mingle was fun except that we had issues with the guide (we arrived very early and told them we were going to need extra time to fit wetsuits, but the other party was late so they held us back. Then they yelled at us when we took too long and started the experience without us.)

We would definitely go back because it’s an awesome place. I don’t know if we would do any more of the tours though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter