Discover the Wild (and Healthy) Side!! – WISH May Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

I started to post yesterday and never finished! Work has been so busy and I'm not a fan of posting to the DIS on my phone (more of a pain than anything) and my laptop is so slow I rarely use it at home. But I'm in for the month!

GOAL: 4 pounds down from my weight this morning.

OBSTACLES: I have quite a few "lunches out" this month, as well as happy hour. Basically, the usual obstacles. But I'm so motivated. I'm going to get it done this month.

WOOHOO WEDNESDAY! I'm so glad that it's Wednesday. Hit the gym today and cut down my rest between sets of weights to 30 seconds. I could get so much more done in that amount of time so it's going to allow me to increase the amount of cardio I do in the mornings.

Sorry for being behind on my own thread! My woohoo is that I went for a run at 8pm to make sure that it got done! And now I feel great! Off to bed early, will try to catch up with replies tomorrow morning!

And :welcome: to another new member, @katmu!

Hello,Dearies!

Long time, no post!

I’m in for this month, but probably won’t be around much for the first half. Next week is finals for my classes, so I have a TON of studying to do, followed by Mother’s Day weekend. My goal is to be *OVERWEIGHT*!!! by the end of May. That’s around a 6-8lb loss, and I’m crazy excited about it, because when I started back in January, that was my “I wish, but no way can it happen before we leave on vacation at the end of June” goal… and here I am, sooo close to hitting it EARLY!!! Let’s go ahead and count that for my Wednesday Woo-Hoo, while we’re at it.

So- Obstacles are:

1: I’ve been at this hard for months, so there’s always the possibility of a(nother) plateau.

2: My birthday is on Mother’s Day, so I’ve decided to just let it all go that day… my 9 year old wants to cook for me, so I’ll eat whatever she makes and not worry about it for that one day. And I’m having cake, dammit. I’m planning to “be bad” that day (Alllll day!) on purpose to see how it feels afterwards in preparation for our upcoming trip. I have been doing just a basic reduced-calorie diet all year, not anything wild with avoiding any food groups or anything- but I want to see what a day of “much sugar” does to me physically after months of minimal sugar- because I plan on being WICKED for the two weeks we’re in Florida! ;D

3: Being in school these past few months has been a big help, I think, and that will be over for a while, so I’ll have to watch myself not to slip back into old habits.

4: With being so crazy-busy lately, I haven’t been getting exercise in as much as before, especially since I had to drop my dance class (kiddo’s been in and out of the hospital all semester, and that is a class that you can fail just by missing too often.) So while getting back to walking will help overall, especially with being able to physically survive the parks in June, there is the possibility that I’ll have a muscle gain that might slow the scale decline… we’ll see.

5: It’s gardening season—so same concern as above that I’m a lot more active this time of year, which can translate to the “good” kind of gain… but will frustrate my numbers.

Oh, and a bonus Woo-hoo, I got my Pandora fastpasses today!!! We have an onsite reservation, but when I looked at my 60-days-out-from-arrival last week, I could book AK fastpasses, but not Pandora for whatever reason. But they have unlocked now, and we have an evening fastpass for the River Journey that backs up to our Rivers of Light fastpass. Of course we’ll have to brave the lines for the other one, but that’s just how it is. I’m happy to have the one, and around the time we wanted.

We leave in 51 days, so fair warning, I’m going to be babbling about our plans *A LOT* once I have time!!! ;P

Woohoo the lawn is mowed so I no longer have a jungle. 12 year old is not happy because gpa ruined her garden. DH got the new router set up and while for my stuff the speed won't change that much going to the 2 band one will stop the buffering on loading. The burger DH took out to thaw early this morning when we got home was thawed enough for me to make a meat loaf even if the middle was still a bit on the still really cold phase so I had to work it a bit more. I got one little slice but my family was happy. Woohoo 9 year old asked for seconds on the peas and carrots. Crankypants bunny is back to being sweet bunny and is no longer taking off fingers of anyone who dares to reach in her cage to pet her.

May 4

The Tree of Life

Once you have passed through the Oasis you will be met by the sight of the Tree of Life:

DSC06309.jpg

The Tree of Life is a metaphor that exisits in the mythologies of many cultures around the world. It is seen as a source of life and an emblem of symbiosis. In the story of Animal Kingdom, the Tree of Life is supposed to have been the first thing there, the village – Discovery Island – that surrounds it came to the Tree. It is the source of life and of water for the village – and the rest of Animal Kingdom.

The Tree of Life captures the essence of the park at a glance and is a statement of the majesty of nature, the stunning diversity of animals, and our respect for our place in the world. It symbolizes the idea that all of these elements can co-exist harmoniously.

There are 325 animals on the Tree of Life – the story is that they have grown out of the trees roots, trunk and branches. You can explore the Tree on numerous trails that lead around it and from where you can look out for all the different animals that are part of the tree.

DSC06310.jpg

DSC06312.jpg

DSC06313.jpg

The Tree of Life stands for harmony and balance. Do you feel like your life has enough harmony and balance? What are areas that could improve in that regard for you and what can you do about this?

P.S.: In case anyone wants to know more about the Animal Kingdom, I am stealing quite a bit of info from the wonderful little book: The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. These books exist for all the US parks and are really cute and not pricey at all. I can absolutely recommend them!

Hello friends and some new friends to get to know I see. I really enjoyed my month 'off' from posting but I did read along.

Tell us a little about yourself, what you want achieve and how you plan to get there.

I am Sam and I am from Queensland, Australia. I work full time and have 3 teenagers (DS16, DS13 and DD13). I regret to say that after a bit over a year focusing on getting healthier - I have NOT lost any weight. But do think that I have learned a lot from you all and about myself as well.

What new discoveries do you want to make this month? Is there any path that looks inviting and you would like to try? What do you want to leave behind?

New discoveries I would like to make are a way to embrace and incorporate activity/exercise in my life - I have images in my head of what that would look like and a slimmer healthier me - but I just have trouble making that happen. I would like to get better at letting things go and not feeling like I am on an emotional roller coaster some times - the idea of choosing to have a more positive outlook and feels inviting. I would like to leave behind a constant feeling of anticipating the worst or something bad to happen. I would like to leave behind making too many excuses to myself to justify eating/lack of activity choices.

New Discoveries/Inviting paths: I'm still processing the thoughts introduced during the healthful living class I took over the weekend. I feel like a new world is opening up for me, including a new community of people. It goes down to a very cellular level on how I live in my body and what I can change. Something as simple as knowing I can clear the stuffiness in my nose by doing an exercise is actually kind of mind blowing. I'm also digging in to 'hygge', which in it's simplest definition is about simplicity, warmth, connection and contentment... enjoying the good things in life with good people. I feel like (re)building my life in this way will help to fill the gaps I seem to be filling with food.

What I want to leave behind: I second @HappyGrape's thought of leaving behind excessive internet usage which includes a news diet. I've been working on this for a while, but it really hit home while we were in Texas... I didn't watch the news even once during the week. For much of the trip, while we were driving around in the Texas countryside my Sister had her head buried in her phone looking at her FB feed and pictures of goats and castles. I did finally call her on it, but it was also a good reminder for me - you can't be where you are if you aren't paying attention to where you are. I no longer check FB or IG in the morning when I get up or on the bus ride in. I haven't turned company email back on on my phone, as I no longer get after hour emails that can't wait until the next day... and if it's turned on I will check it. I'm now working on reducing the times during the day that I check FB/IG or CNN or MSNBC. Last step will be to put my phone way in the evenings.

@Oneanne - I just really love your post - you really seem to be finding a new path for yourself it is inspiring to hear your stories. I agree about the need to take a break from the news - despite us living in one of the safest times at the moment thanks to the news cycle and social media many of us feel so unsafe and anxious.

Today we share and celebrate the small and large good moments that we had today (or in the last week). Pick one or more and let us all celebrate them together.

I am going to woohoo:

Being back joining in the chatter with you all.
Being asked to talk to about 100 1st year Occupational Therapy students at the University I graduated from for the second time to help them understand my role in the education department and to help prepare them for their first practical placement in our Special Schools.
Sticking to my dinner plan all week and not having any takeout for dinners.

The Tree of Life stands for harmony and balance. Do you feel like your life has enough harmony and balance? What are areas that could improve in that regard for you and what can you do about this?

No I definitely don't have harmony and balance - I don't have much ME in there . I have ME as a MUM which I adore being and have put them first for such a long time and then I have WORKING ME. I was in Brisbane for a conference a couple of weeks ago and stayed overnight - dinner out along and a evening in the hotel alone - whilst a nice respite - I missed them so much and found myself at a bit of a loose end! Crazy how I wish for some moments of peace and then I don't cope with it very well. Work there is never enough of me to go around my caseload and I feel constantly behind (I am not the only one in my role that feels that way - so I know its not just me and my skills). My finances are out of balance and my eating and activity is out of balance as well.

I know I haven't posted a goal for the month yet - I will be back to do that - I still really haven't decided. I have to be off to bed I have a very early start I am off to Brisbane for a one day workshop tomorrow which means I have to leave home by 5.30am and won't get back until about 6.30pm. A super long day but I hope the workshop is really good - its about Zones of Regulation - mostly related to Sensory Processing. The presenter is out here from the USA.

Oh and finally it is Thursday night here and already the 4th ........ so MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU ALL!!!!! :rotfl2:

I do not have a balance yet. I am starting to think I might not for a few years. The kids keep me on my toes and things are always changing. As soon as I think I have one thing figured out and I feel like I am starting to get a balance it changes and I get thrown off. Once they get older I think I will be able to have more of a balance. I am still working on it though.

I'm definitely not feeling the harmony and balance. As an introvert, I definitely need my space and days off to recharge and feel like myself again. I've been pretty much constant go, go, go for about two weeks now. I had Tuesday and Wednesday "off" to recuperate but it still wasn't enough. This weekend will be packed with events and friends. I like that and I don't want to turn people down because I don't want to push friends away. But I could use another day...or week...to just chill. But oh well, such is life.

I also made the decision to buy a house. I'm a the very early stages of this process. In fact, I'm just now starting to get my financial docs in order and will make some appointments to talk to a few lenders. Then I'll push forward from there. It's a big undertaking and it certainly doesn't relieve the financial stress in the interim but I think it'll be the best thing for me to stop having to think about moving from apartment to apartment, relying on maintenance, worrying about someone breaking in with the minimal security I have, worrying about my safety during tornado season, etc. So I think I'm going to be out of balance for probably the rest of the year. But things will settle. In the meantime, I can do my best to keep my workouts and eating balanced! I gotta control what I can.

I am certainly working harder on balance than ever before. I feel a bit selfish about it sometimes, but up until recently I feel like I had been playing the role of wife, "almost sister" to my cousin, and cat mom super well while letting my true self slide. I kept making excuses -- "DH doesn't enjoy x, y, and z so I just won't go and we will find something to enjoy together." Or "I really shouldn't spend money on something just I will enjoy; I should use that money on things we will enjoy together." That sort of thing.

Something really clicked this year though, and I am done thinking like that all the time. Compromise is wonderful, but my soul needs things that no one else in my life is into (namely theatre/film, but also my meal plan and gym membership). So I have been going to the theatre and to movies more and more this year and alone when need be. Sure I feel guilty when I pull out my healthy lunch and DH is eating McDonalds or hot dogs, but it's HIS choice. And while I also feel a little guilty about me having a gym membership and DH not, it's all his choice. So those are my "me-things" that I am doing right now to find balance after almost 4 years of putting myself on the back burner, and honestly, at the end of the day, I am happier and more confident which makes me a better person for my family, so we all win. Now I just need to work on not feeling guilty about it Haha!

May 4

The Tree of Life

P.S.: In case anyone wants to know more about the Animal Kingdom, I am stealing quite a bit of info from the wonderful little book: The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. These books exist for all the US parks and are really cute and not pricey at all. I can absolutely recommend them!

Balance?? What's that??!!:rolleyes1 Nope, no way, no how! Too much work, too much stress (about money, hence the work!), too much trying to be a "people-pleaser" both at work and at home. Too much food control but not enough exercise. The work issues will settle down a bit in a few years once DS graduates college. But then, of course, I'll be worrying about saving more for retirement! The people-pleasing issue is something to work on but of course, I am a work-in-progress, right?:rolleyes:

Hey all! I had exactly 3 minutes to reply and now time is up!! Have a THRILLING THURSDAY!......P

Do you feel like your life has enough harmony and balance? What are areas that could improve in that regard for you and what can you do about this?

Sometimes. My work is flexible, I can work from home. But my husband travel, I can't work from home every day, my son is in school, football, swimming, art classes and science club. We are always on the go. I am enjoying it! Few more years and he won't need me as much, I will have more balance than

Struggling today with work load but will head to the gym after work. My husband wants to play tennis, cutting my gym time as I need to be home to mind our son and he can get out but I count my blessings that my family is healthy, my work pays me enough for all my disney trips, my son is little active boy ....

Little bit more me time will be good

My motivation is down a lot today! On days like this I realize you can't count on motivation, you need to develop and maintain habits.

Last edited:
I'm not really feeling like my life has a whole lot of harmony or balance right now. Work is really super busy and with school on top of that I'm feeling a little out of balance at the moment.

I've started logged my meals in MyFitnessPal again. I think I'm probably a bit higher than maybe I should be calorie wise at around 1500 per day. I think I need to up the exercise as if I try to go much lower with the calories I end up feeling really hungry and it's hard to stick to it long term.

Like a lot of others, I do not feel like my life is in harmony and balance right now. This is a great question, because at least for me, I think healthy living and balance in the rest of my life go hand in hand.

When I was doing well with weight loss and eating better, I was doing better at everything else as well. Lately, I've just been coming home from work cooking supper and then vegging out in front of the tv with my laptop in my lap. Not a good way to spend my evening. My house is suffering, my paperwork is suffering and in turn my eating is suffering. I need to get my act together again. Last night DS was bored and I asked if he wanted to play rummikub or yahtzee or something and he turned me down. By that time, he was involved in his playstation. It's just a bad habit all the way around and rubs off on my family too.

Do you feel like your life has enough harmony and balance? What are areas that could improve in that regard for you and what can you do about this?

Balancing halfway healthy eating and our sometimes busy schedules. Some days even if we ( ok girls and I DH is in an unofficial contest with my bro to see who can be the biggest cheapskate according to 12 year old) are coming home for the evening it is grab something through the drive thru or stop and get a bite to eat depending if we feel like dealing with a bunch of people or just a few because I am so tired and don't feel like going home and cooking anything.
I would like to get into making up 2-3 weeks of quick easy to heat up meals for those times once a month. I just need to go through my recipes I have bookmarked and decide on a few to try.

QOTD: I have some harmony and balance but it seem pretty delicate sometimes.. and I am definitely working towards getting more!

Checking in late today... it was move day in the office and we couldn't come in until 9:30am, which is late for me as I usually get in around 6:30am. Then we had to unpack and plug in. Unfortunately the seating map that was posted wasn't the real map, they had just thrown name stickers on it to get ahead/desk count. Seriously? So not only am I still sitting in the same pod as my boss, he is now sitting behind me and the other group manager is sitting behind me to my right. First off, I hate having anyone sit behind me, from a feng shui perspective it is so unhealthy... but add to that that it's your Boss? o_O On the lighter side, we are eight floors higher than we were before and I am back on the side of the building facing west towards the water... very nice. Now if I could just get rid of that boss....

May 5

Discovery Island

islandmerc4.jpg

wil735200thumb.jpg

DI-0402-45.jpg

Discovery Island is an expression of exuberance of love for animals. Animals of all kinds appear in various forms throughout. It is not based on any single place in the world, but rather a mixture of architecture from equatorial islands around the world – such as Bali, the Caribbean, the South Seas Islands and islands off the coast of Africa. Using folk art Discovery island is the answer to the Tree of Life – which is the natural expression of the love animals. Discovery Island is the human expression of that love. The animal motives are not purely applied to the surface, but are often a core part of the building’s design.

All the different buildings have different animal themes. They are not dedicated to a specific animal, but certain groups. Creature Comfort features animals and insects with spots and stripes, such as zebras, tigers and bumblebees. Island Mercantile has animals that migrate and such that work, such as geese and beavers. Beastly Bazaar is dedicated to animals that live in or by the water, such as fish, otters, bears. Disney Outfitters is decorates with animals that travel in herds, for example elephants and rhinos.

With this the designers went with unusual groupings of animals. We usually tend to think of animals in groups of where they come from (Africa, Asia etc.) or in such terms as mammals, insects. It is refreshing to see those typical groups broken up.

Do you feel that you sometimes are put into a certain group by others or do you think of others as certain groups, just because that is the common and convenient way of thinking? Which new defined group do you want to belong to?

Good morning friends and HAPPY Friday! I'll save the QOTD until later when I have more time to answer.

Just want to report my SCALE FRUSTRATION! I hopped on at o'dark thirty this morning, as usual, and got a GREAT number! So great, in fact, that I knew it was an error. I stepped off and on again. Same number. Hmmm.... moved the scale a few inches. Stepped on again. Got another number, still pretty good, but 5 pounds HIGHER than the previous number. Stepped off and on again.... ANOTHER number, a bit higher than the previous. What the....?? Stepped off and on again... and got ANOTHER (higher but more realistic) number. I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what number may have been correct (if any!), so I'll take note of the numbers I saw today (ranging from 130.7 to 136.7) and weigh again tomorrow..... and then maybe take an average? I have a few other scales in storage from DD's apartment (she kept having issues like this so we kept buying new scales), so maybe I'll set them ALL up tomorrow and see how close they are to each other? Just frustrated. Wish I had one of my spare WW scales here!

Anyhow.... reporting in a probable LOSS..... just not sure how much! And with another weigh-in scheduled for tomorrow morning, there goes tonight's "Welcome Home" pizza celebration with DS. :( I guess I'll make a light/low carb pizza for myself while the men have the "real" thing!

Have a FABULOUS FRIDAY FRIENDS!! I'll try to pop on later to tackle that QOTD, but I'm working one-on-one with a challenging student today, so probably won't be back until tomorrow.............P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter