Discover the Wild (and Healthy) Side!! – WISH May Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

"What food is so important to you that you store it? Do you have a large food store or do you mainly buy fresh? Are there any foods that are vital for you to have around? Do you have any special foods that are good to keep in store for quick healthy meals?"

Bulgarian feta style cheese, greek yoghurt, tomatoes and chicken is what I always have

My freezer always have meat and frozen veggies as peas and corn, pizza bases, pitta breads, frozen berries

I always have tins of beans, tomatoes, passata, hot sauce, sirarca, some Indian sauces, some pizza sauce, tins of tuna, rice, noodles, pasta oil spray, good pesto and and herb selection, olives, sun dried tomatoes, pineapple tins, balsamic vinegar/glaze, mustard

Most of my shopping is fresh produce, and I go to the shop few times weekly! bananas, apples, mandarins, berries, melon and watermelon for fruit, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, onions, asparagus, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, babycorn, mangetout, good potatoes. We eat a lot of chicken, some fish and beef

Sparkling water, mint, lemon, lime.. We always have at least 3/4 types of cheese and we wholegrain bread. eggs... how did I forget eggs!

I am not sure about status symbol. I need to think about it

I'm leaving for my cruise with DH in 2 days WOOHOO!!

A cruise is always a great woohoo!! Hope you have a fantastic time!!

Woohoo Wednesday - well, I managed to get out of bed this morning :rolleyes1. We've now had several days of sunshine and warmer temps, which is such a blessing and seeing the sun helps so much with general well being. And being able to open up the house and get the winter stuffiness out is so nice. This weekend there's a fiber festival I'm planning on going to... it'll involve a nice long drive out in to the country, which I haven't done in a while. And there will be sheep!

The fiber festival sounds wonderful - and sheep are always a great bonus!

My woohoo is that I have been eating better. I did miss getting 10,000 steps yesterday. All excuses but my daughter had dance class and then when i got home I need to help my son with his homework. I could have walked while my daughter was at dance and I could have walked and left my husband in charge of homework so they are just excuses. To day I will go to the rec to get my steps in. Also since the weather is nice this morning I walked up to my desk from my car. It is about a half mile I think and you have to go up a huge hill and and about 2 stories of stairs. So a good start today. I will also walk back to my car this afternoon. I only get about 30 minutes for lunch so i am hoping to get in a little bit of a walk in. I am hoping that I can make up a good portion of my missed steps from yesterday.

Sounds like you have a good plan on how to get your steps in, I hope it works out today!

Woohoo! I bought tickets today to see Avatar in 3D on Saturday at Disney Springs as the lead up to the Pandora passholder preview on Sunday! I haven't looked at any of the media out right now on it so I can just be super surprised when we see it! We are so excited to experience it!

Oh, I am so excited about Pandora! I try to stay away from too many pictures and am not watching any video. But I read reports. It sounds quite amazing. Hope you will bring us a spoiler free report!

The last week has been tough. I somehow managed to aggravate the disc issue in my neck so I've been on bed rest for the last 4 days. I'm slowly feeling better but this was not how I thought this month would go.

On the plus side, my appetite seems to be down a bit.

I hope everyone else is doing better.

Sorry that you had to deal with such neck pain! Sounds really horrible! But good news on the eating side. I often find that when I can't be active I am eating even more out of boredom. So, avoiding that is already some success. The neck is something that you cannot change, so making the best out of your stituation is all you can do.

I woke up today thinking 43 days to California!

:banana: Which places are you going to visit in California besides Disneyland? I love California, so much to see. And the weather can be pretty awesome there, too.

Have you ever thought about your long term motivators? I find it stronger and better adviser than short term.

I loved your post and I think that this was one thing that changed my attitude towards weight loss a lot. My main motivation is to stay active as long as I can. I see what I do now as a foundation for my future. Maybe it is a bit my version of a midlife crisis (at 45 I guess I am at the prime age for this), but I see how different my mother and my father are ageing. My father has always been fairly active, my mother not. And besides some other issues my mother has, I do see what a difference it makes that my father was able to maintain a certain level of fitness. I don't expect to be any younger again, but I want to be a youthful 75 in 30 years time like my father is now. Not an old 65 like some of my colleagues going into retirement.

I know I'm late I would like to join in. My goal is to lose 6lbs and get 120 minutes of exercise. This is a starting place for me. I want to get overall healthy not just lose some weight.

:welcome: There is no "late" to wanting to be healthy!! We are happy to have you here!

May 11

Expedition Everest

DSC06260.jpg

DSC06098.jpg

We are moving on to Asia and the first attraction we encounter is Expedition Everest - a roller coaster that encounters the Yeti! Quite thrilling... But we are going to look at a less thrilling, less known, but still fascinating fact. If you look at the houses at the base of Expedition Everest you will notice that many of them have wood beams on the roof:

DSC06253.jpg

Wood is a precious commodity in the Himalaya foothills and it is stored on the roof to keep it safe. You can see that some people are richer than others because they havve large amounts of wood on their roofs - you will notice that those buildings are generally better well kept as well. The wood on the roof is a status symbol there.

What food is so important to you that you store it? Do you have a large food store or do you mainly buy fresh? Are there any foods that are vital for you to have around? Do you have any special foods that are good to keep in store for quick healthy meals?

And I also have a more "heavy" bonus question: Talking about status symbols, do you think healthy living and exercise is being used as a status symbol in today's world?

First off I just have to say I hate this ride. The first time I went on it I sat with my 10 year old (at that time). I held his hand so tight. He was so mad at me that he couldn't put his hand up. I did try it a second time and sat with my husband. Still didn't like it. I can't handle the going backwards in the dark. I will leave this one for my kids and husband to do.

Ok on to the questions. We always have eggs, chicken and stuff for salads (lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, carrots, celery, green pepper, red onion). We also usually have something with rice each week and usually broccoli or asparagus. We also have tortilla chips and salsa. In the summer we will start to have more fruit int he house as well.

The second question -- I think that it is becoming a little bit of a status symbol. I think the healthier and skinnier you are the higher up the status you are.

++++++++++

Well I didn't get to the rec last night. I forgot my son had baseball practice. I did walk while he was at practice though. Yesterday was the last PSR class for the kids so my son had to leave practice 30 minutes earlier and then rush both kids up to the school and then I have about 45 minutes before I needed to back to pick them up. It didn't leave me time to go to the rec. I did still get 9,500 steps though and I am happy with that. We will see what will happen tonight. My daughter has an eye doctor appointment at 5:30. Hopefully I will be able to make it up to the rec after we get home. I did eat really good yesterday though and I am down a little bit more weight. I have a goal to meet so I need to keep up the motivation. Though the cruise is over a year away, I have no time to slack. I will lose these last 18 pounds before we leave.

my photo dairy of today. I won't post them every day, but today really hit the spot for me! And I have 300 calories to spare if I fancy snack little later. Picture form nearby tiny park where often go for my walks.

I love the way you laid these out! Beautiful and informative!

May 10

Woohoo Wednesday!!

Yes, it is Wednesday already! Share something positive that happened to you or your loved ones today or sometime in the last week! Let's find plenty of positive energy today!!

DS got some good grades on his finals... even in English, his weakest subject. DD graduates in 9 days with HONORS! She is set up for her Disney Professional Internship for the next 7 months, and I predict she is going to do GREAT things in the Marine Biology world!! DS installed my new range hood for me (it's been in the box waiting for nearly 3 years) as a Mother's Day gift and DD surprised me with a trip the largest tulip farm in New England as an early Mother's Day celebration.... it was beautiful and we got lots of steps and fresh air! What more could a Mom ask for??

The salad does look delicious!!

Thanks for asking, I am feeling better. I got three nights of good sleep and I think that really helped. I am planning on going for a run tonight after work (and am planning on posting this as my woohoo for today).

Also, despite three horrible eating days (yesterday was a waste as well), the scale has moved down again slightly. I know that it is water weight, but it still is so depressing. Especially since my numbers currently are not good ones at all, even the lower ones. I just seem to have so much trouble losing the tiniest bit of weight. I try to not beat myself up about it, I cannot force my body into anything. It is what it is and I know that eating more and losing less is better for me. I actually had a big success on Saturday when I went to a party and managed to stay within my maintenance calories (yes, I did not manage the 500 kcal deficit I am trying for on a normal day, but I did not try for that either). For me this was a huge success as I tend to overeat at parties.

And I guess I already answered the QOTD there with my woohoo - still planning on adding on another woohoo after my run!

You are not alone with the scale NOT wanting to move! It moves PAINFULLY slowly for me, no matter what I do. And I have a WW friend who has literally been stuck on a plateau for a YEAR now. (bouncing around with a few pounds up, few pounds down, few pounds up, few pounds down...over and over) But I am so beyond impressed with her determination..... she is NOT giving up!! I don't know how she doesn't go a bit crackers and throw the scale out the window, but she is my hero!! Anyhow, this is just to say to NEVER GIVE UP!! You are healthier and that is what is MOST important. That guy from Shark Tank (Daymond??) was on Good Morning America yesterday talking about a recent cancer diagnosis. He made an amazing quote that basically meant "if you don't have you health, you don't have anything"..... but of course, he said it so much more eloquently! I need to look it up and write it down because he was SO RIGHT!!

Good Morning All!

I won't post every day diary here, but if someone is interested I set up a Instagram account for it. I would love to see visually how the 47 days go, what is the result and I hope to be able to see that you can be moderate, enjoy your food, don't beat yourself up in the gym and still lose weight

I woke up today thinking 43 days to California! Such great motivator. Vacations are very big motivator for me. Short term, I want to feel healthy, fit and confident. Long term - I want to be retired and still enjoy activities I do now, as active vacations. Have you ever thought about your long term motivators? I find it stronger and better adviser than short term. Example if I feel like skipping social occasion to get to x weight for my vacation the long term motivator will advise me that this is not the life I want to live, and I want to enjoy myself and be social. Short term I may think I am on vacation now, overeating doesn't count. Long term this is not behavior I want to be dealing with when I am 60+! It is also reassuring when trying to develop good solid skills, as it reduces the pressure to push too much and the risk to compromise with sustainability. There isn't pressure to be x by y date..

that's my thinking this morning anyway while drinking my coffee! Today will be busy and I plan to visit the gym after work. I better get up and start making my breakfast & lunch and getting ready for work. I hope you all have a healthy and happy day. I will check in tonight to see the question of the day!

What's your new Instagram name???

I know I'm late I would like to join in. My goal is to lose 6lbs and get 120 minutes of exercise. This is a starting place for me. I want to get overall healthy not just lose some weight.

WELCOME ABOARD! Glad to have you with us! Tell us a bit about yourself, your weight loss plan, etc! Love to get to know you!

Hey friends! Hope you all are well and glad to hear that some of you are experiencing improved health after illness and improved WEATHER! Our forecast for this week was bleak, but so far it hasn't been terrible..... very chilly for mid-May, but a bit of sunshine most days. And rumor has it that we will be ABOVE average temps next week! Looking forward to it!

I am determining that working out of the house three nights in a row, mid-week, is just TOO MUCH for this old lady! It makes life too hectic and crazy, not to mention meal planning hasn't been happening much, so I've been struggling to make sure that there is a healthy, hearty meal ready for the men while I am gone. Thank goodness they don't mind the same thing two nights in a row! Veggie burgers tonight because we didn't have a meatless Monday this week AND I didn't have anything ready for the crockpot this morning.

That being said, I discovered that a work acquaintance has been arriving to school early (due to a change in her kids schedule) and walking until punch-in time. I asked for her cell number and asked if she would mind if I joined her as my schedule allowed and she said that would be great. Even though I worked online this morning 4:30 am - 6:00 am, I managed to get dressed and ready to go by 7:15 pm and at school by 7:40. We walked about a mile before duty time and it was great! I am a super fast walker and find that I have trouble walking with others as they are too slow!

Gotta dash!.........P

What food is so important to you that you store it? Do you have a large food store or do you mainly buy fresh? Are there any foods that are vital for you to have around? Do you have any special foods that are good to keep in store for quick healthy meals?

And I also have a more "heavy" bonus question: Talking about status symbols, do you think healthy living and exercise is being used as a status symbol in today's world?

What a thought provoking question: I have a pantry full of food - full because I never eat it! Same with fresh items in the 'fridge, I toss out way too much food because it doesn't get eaten be or spoiling. It's something I'm very conscious of and trying to change but not making a lot of progress on. The planning part of eating is an area of weakness for me.

Is healthy living a status symbol... I think things might be shifting here, but I'm not sure. At first I was thinking of the farming folk I'm tapped in to and thinking their lifestyle choices aren't necessarily status driven. I also think that it's a bit of a myth that eating healthfully costs more.

Everest is one of my favorites, I ride it multiple times each trip, and I've done it at least 5 times in a row. I almost always go thru the single riders line and have only seen the entire queue two or three times. The themeing is fantastic. They've done a pretty good job compensating for the Yeti's broken foundation and the way they currently have him lit with the breeze blowing thru his arm hair does give the illusion that he's reaching out to grab you. When I eat at Flame Tree BBQ I like to sit right down by the water, where you can hear people scream from Everest across the way.

upload_2017-5-11_7-11-3.png

how_nia_eats. I only set it up yesterday as I felt I would like to have the 47 days in one place! I would appreciate suggestions on who to follow

I need to check this out! It will give me an inspiration for healthy meals!

Very good questions! I have a small pantry that is usually stocked with things I don't really even eat anymore. I am mainly focusing on the outer perimeter of the grocery store and trying to eat fresh. To that end, the fridge is now usually stocked with carrots, cucumbers, and hummus as a go to snack. I also always have cheese (one of my vices I refuse to give up!) which I may have with a little meat sometimes. Recently, I have been having the veggies and a little cheese as a small dinner.

Bonus: Hmm... I see both sides of the coin on this one. Like @Oneanne says, the trend in growing your own food and the whole urban garden thing doesn't seem status driven and can be quite affordable. However, with the onslaught of "luxury athletic wear" and the like, I can see how there is a status symbol about some aspects of healthy living. Even certain gyms in my area have a subtle reputation for what "type" of people go there.

My yoga class yesterday wasn't good. The trainer is obviously very much into his bodybuilding and was really keen to show what he can do, regardless of the class that his class isn't able to follow it! I am member there since July and I haven't had another so disappointing class. Disappointing as this is the only yoga class I can get to this week.

The second question from yesterday

Lululemon arrived in Dublin and they share store with the likes of Chanel and Louis Vuitton.

I am member of most expensive gym chain. Yes, it is somewhat status related too, it's more upper class gym. I didn't join for the status, it has indoor outdoor tennis, teen classes, climbing wall, 8 gyms around the city, yoga, gravity Pilates, full set of les mill classes, it's clean and well maintained, olympic size pool. There are many members in their 70's and many families that go there. And yes, the kids seem nice, the kind of kids I want my son to mix with. It actually improve my quality of life, and I did not get sick this winter at all. I went to the gym every time I felt like I need to move instead of walking in the pouring rain. There is no way I will need it as much if I live in Florida, I would much prefer swim & walk outdoors and join classes on pay as you go, but in Dublin it is hugely beneficial. There are some areas nearby known for gangs and they seem to occupy the cheaper gyms... I wouldn't let my son go near them! In areas further from the city it won't matter as much perhaps.

My husband is part of tennis club and it isn't available for all to join, you need to be referred. Golf clubs are another level, you pay huge money to join a really good one and it's absolutely a status thing. Best schools are private, and rugby school and they are both hard to get to and boys that don't play rugby find it hard.

It's also somewhat accepted that poorer, higher unemployment locations have higher rates of child obesity. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

It can be very complicated, or it can appear to be very complicated to try to figure out what is healthy eating. If you are prone to gaining weight, it can take time, ability to detect fake science, dedication until it figure out what works for you. Some people may not have the luxury of time, may be more naive (hell they are so good selling fake science diets, I have failed for many!!!) or determination.

In the past best chance of survival had humans who can store fat, to survive famine. Now we have so much food, obesity kills so many, it is so cheap - it's different skill set we need to develop to improve our chances of survival

Irish people are generally very accepting and I don't think that being skinny is as glorified as in other countries. There is element of health and fitness that is status related, but many join running clubs, hike clubs and other forms that are free and accessible to all. You have to have time for that thought, some people just don't...

Little bit like smoking I guess, but slower to pick up. Upper classes stopped smoking first, smoking won't get you excluded but wasn't seen as cool thing. Upper class restaurant serve smaller portions, although there are so many salad quick service type of places now. Selling 2500 calories piece of cake may have been cool in the 80s, but now... are we somewhat expected to know better?

It's very complex question, and the answer is partially. It can be, but you don't have to buy into the status element of it to lead healthy life. It's not frown upon to use cheaper brands of wear, or participate in other activities as running

I do however think that super slim, photo shopped images have messed up our expectations about what healthy weight and aging bodies, or real life bodies look like and so many are unhappy, not because they are medically overweight or don't feel great due to poor diet but because they have those unrealistic images as a goal. You get healthy person, with fairly healthy diet, going on dramatic diets, making themselves miserable and still not getting to look they want to. I think this is a very big issue, and more focus have to be put on feeling great, and feeling energetic. This is not status or class related.

Like Ricky Lake in "Embrace" movie. I felt like crying when she said it. She was talking about how successful she is in the rest of her life, and how she never reached a moment to not want to lose weight, and being happy with her weight. "this is my normal, I don't know any different" she said. Or something like this

It has become our normal. It was huge shift for me to move to living the healthiest lifestyle I enjoy, and being open minded that this may not lead to the weight I think I would like to be. It's still work in progress

And boy did I suffer from the No Pain No Gain mentality! Pain is signal that your body needs attention and it will keep going up and up until you eventually pay attention. I used to think that unless you leave the gym feeling like you have claimed a mountain in Florida heatwave weather, than you haven't done it right. I will use all my energy in the gym, and feel drained all day after but will put with it again and again in hope it will get better! It doesn't get better, it isn't sustainable, exercise should make you more energetic outside the gym and not leave you feeling drained and beaten up! It's only last month really when I reached a stage I said enough of that and had my aha moment.

We are fed very damaging messages of extremes and not enough focus on actually living better, having fuller life - including proper nutrition and exercise to lead to such life. For me, this is more concern than the status portion of the industry.

And this is me being super late for work! I got carried away
:)

Last edited:
I had a laugh last night at how appropriate yesterday's questions was -- last night for our anniversary, DH got me Lululemon saying he was proud of how dedicated to the gym I had been lately and that he knew I would never justify it to myself to buy myself "good" workout clothes. He is so right... I am a TJ Maxx girl... So I guess I get to see what the hype is all about now :rotfl:

Speaking of the anniversary... I made a plan and stuck to it! Even though I was tempted by the wine.... and the cocktails.... and the steak/lobster combo.... I stuck to my guns and got the salad I planned on so that I didn't feel guilty when we split the dessert I had planned on too. Haha! The scale rewarded me with just a teenie gain this morning. So I did something very out of character-- I went to the gym before work. Now this is mainly because we had a last minute plan change and are now going out of town right after work. But rather than excuse myself out of it, I went. So feeling pretty good this Friday morning!

Happy Friday all!

Have you ever thought about your long term motivators?

Long term I want to be able to deal with the pain of my body attacking itself. While I never will be 100% pain free with having the fibro I want to be able to deal with it better and be able to get down and get the floors at least picked up easier.

We tend to keep things like potatoes, rice, flour, sugar, and oatmeal on hand all the time. Right now my food storage is down but it has gotten us through some lean times the past few years. DH gets at least a deer each year though I need to make sure that he puts in for a drawing tag this year, we get a pork each year, along with what works out to around a quarter of a beef ( usually when my parents are expecting the next one and need some freezer room. I get a call and told to come over and get some stuff when this happens) along with the occasional fresh killed turkey and a couple of chickens. Sometimes all the meat is a challenge like when my dad calls and goes do you have time to cook up a turkey tomorrow it's a small one. First I have learned ask what is the exact weight because the last one he brought home fresh to me ( as in killed and plucked that day) was 38.5 pounds. That was a case of have DH stop by the store on his way home from work to get a large roaster pan, send him over to get the hack saw from dad and cut it in half to even to fit in the pan and in the oven.
I would say that I have a mix of food in storage and fresh that I use a lot of it depending on what fruits and vegetables are in season. In the summer we have things out of my dad's garden which every year he says it's going to be smaller next year and it never is. I want to do one of our own but getting DH to get things done for me is forget it. I need to send 12 year old over to get bigger containers for her watermelon and flowers she planted a couple of weeks ago before they end up root bound and die. Still too cold for another couple of weeks to place in the ground. 9 year old has this thing against touching dirt-dry sand is fine.

Talking about status symbols, do you think healthy living and exercise is being used as a status symbol in today's world?

I think that working out some places is a status symbol. In my area if your in the larger of the two towns I live between and lower income your only option is a scholarship membership at the Y in particular if you are on public assistance. The smaller town you either don't work out or wait for the summer and get a pass to the city pool for the summer though the only fitness center in town with an indoor pool does have a punch card for 10 visits at a set amount with does not expire. I use this one for 12 year old when we go swimming in the summer and on weekends. During the week when school is in session we can do home school swim rates which is only a dollar. What gets me is child care for 9 year old as she is too old plus it's $5 each time for 1 hour and $3 for every 30 minutes after that and they are only open for 2 hours in the morning and 2 or 3 hours in the evening on the ones they are open. While I have a fitness membership though our health insurance that only costs me S25 a month and lets me go to 3 places between the 2 towns with a pool, plus another 3 chains in my area some of them that have multiple locations and I can use it in many places around at least the US and I think there are some in CA as well. My problem is gas money to get there and arranging time when DH can watch the girls or at least keep an eye on 9 year old with her special needs. For a kid who loves the bathtub she is petrified and has a death grip if you take her in the pool and the lake it's papa's boat only and once above her ankles you know it because the kid is freaking out.

Sorry for failing you again this weekend!! I don't know why, but weekends seem to be more difficult for me to find time for posting. This weekend my excuse is that I had my best friend from college visiting and there was not a lot of down time at all between getting ready for her visit, spending time with her and after she left I had to do my long run for the week.

I promise! The new question will be up early tomorrow morning and will be bright and sparkly!

May 15

Gibbon "Temple"

DSC06264.jpg

Along the pathway in Asia you will come across this structure. If you have a closer look, you will see some little fellows jumping around on the ropes, climbing up and down and looking like they have a lot of fun:

disney-animals-gibbons-white-cheeked-baby-16x9.jpg

They are Gibbons. Gibbons live in the warm climates of the southeastern Asian rainforest. There are 2 distinctive species of gibbons, siamangs and white-cheeked. Siamangs call Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia home. White-cheeked gibbons are generally found in Vietnam and Laos.

Disney’s animal care experts provide gibbons with the perfect place to explore, play and raise a family. Like all the different animal enclosures at Animal Kingdom their "temple" is designed to look good while also to provide as much of a natural environment as possible to recreate the lifestyle they would have in freedom.

A crisscrossed network of bamboo beams, ropes, ladders, towers and live trees provides the gibbons with endless opportunities to climb, swing and stay active in their specially designed forest dwelling. Gibbons spend the day foraging for the perfect mix of leaves, fruits, vegetables and flowers. The gibbons at Animal Kingdom are provided with a colorful combination of fresh fruits, veggies and plant life on a daily basis, allowing them to make a meal out of their favorite foods. What a sweet treat! The animal care experts may place treats for gibbons in a hanging bucket or a burlap bag to draw out the natural curiosity and put their foraging skills to the test. Who knew foraging could be so much fun?

Watching the gibbons, it looks like they never sit still. So, let's talk about physical activity! What is your favorite activity? It does not have to be classical exercise, anything that gets you moving counts!! Do you try to incorporate more physical activities in your daily life?

Watching the gibbons, it looks like they never sit still. So, let's talk about physical activity! What is your favorite activity? It does not have to be classical exercise, anything that gets you moving counts!! Do you try to incorporate more physical activities in your daily life?

Walking! I love good walk with either good music/podcast or nice scenery.
Dancing, swimming, yoga and gym workouts are also enjoyed but by far my favorite is outdoor walking

May 15

Gibbon "Temple"

DSC06264.jpg

Along the pathway in Asia you will come across this structure. If you have a closer look, you will see some little fellows jumping around on the ropes, climbing up and down and looking like they have a lot of fun:

disney-animals-gibbons-white-cheeked-baby-16x9.jpg

They are Gibbons. Gibbons live in the warm climates of the southeastern Asian rainforest. There are 2 distinctive species of gibbons, siamangs and white-cheeked. Siamangs call Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia home. White-cheeked gibbons are generally found in Vietnam and Laos.

Disney’s animal care experts provide gibbons with the perfect place to explore, play and raise a family. Like all the different animal enclosures at Animal Kingdom their "temple" is designed to look good while also to provide as much of a natural environment as possible to recreate the lifestyle they would have in freedom.

A crisscrossed network of bamboo beams, ropes, ladders, towers and live trees provides the gibbons with endless opportunities to climb, swing and stay active in their specially designed forest dwelling. Gibbons spend the day foraging for the perfect mix of leaves, fruits, vegetables and flowers. The gibbons at Animal Kingdom are provided with a colorful combination of fresh fruits, veggies and plant life on a daily basis, allowing them to make a meal out of their favorite foods. What a sweet treat! The animal care experts may place treats for gibbons in a hanging bucket or a burlap bag to draw out the natural curiosity and put their foraging skills to the test. Who knew foraging could be so much fun?

I do more walking then anything. As a family we will play the xbox and Wii that are more for exercise.

+++++++++++++++

Check in --- I have lost 1.4 pounds this month so far. so I am at 35%.

I have been working out and eating much better. I am really felling like I am getting back on track.

Yesterday was a rough day. I wen to the parade of Homes (you go to different houses and walk through them. Most are model homes. All way out of reach for me but still fun to look at) with my mom, sister, my daughter and my niece. This is the first year we have taken the girls. They were not ready for this. I can even begin to tell you how many my mom and myself had to tell the girls not to touch things, stay with us and not to run around the house. I was so aggravated. It was my sisters idea to bring them. Then my sister, knowing full well that I couldn't stay at my moms, started talked to my niece and mom about how they are going to stay at my moms house to cook out at go in the hot tub. Yep that turned into a big issue when I went to leave. My daughter did not want to. Ugh was so mad at my sister. I had to listen to my daughter cry half way home. One of these days I am going to tell her off for everything she does. Other then this it was a great day.

I hope everyone else had a great Mother's day!

Checking in at 58%

This weekend was a little bit of a set back with food, but not too terrible. I had to try one of the beers in Pandora (made by one of my favorite breweries) but balanced it out with a healthy pick for food. The food at the canteen made it easier for sure-- good salad options :)

QOTD: Favorite activities are swimming and dancing. But I don't do them often. It takes more effort to move throughout my day since I work at a desk, but I take the stairs when possible.

Walking is my go-to exercise, so when the exercise trackers like FitBit came out it was a natural fit for me. That being said, I'm still well below my average 10,000 daily step goal for this month. I never got to feeling actually sick last week, just off with very low energy and a runny nose so the extra effort to get my steps in just wasn't there. Checking in for the week I'll let my effort drop to a 10% success rate for the week.

One trip about 6 or 7 years ago, we were back by the gibbons when they were being let out in the morning and they were raising such a ruckus, jumping around the enclosure and chattering away. We asked the CM standing close by what was going on and she said that's their normal morning routine, they were greeting each other. I think of that every time I walk by, and like to stop and watch them for a bit.

It was a nice weekend, I had a slow laid back pace but when wrapping things up last evening realized I'd also gotten a couple major things on my list accomplished. I finally got the grass in the back of the house whacked down, it had grown to waist high and was actually kind of pretty in a wild natural way. Now I need to rake it and I think if I put the lawnmower at the highest trim level I'll be able to cut it. I also got the front mowed and some trimming done. We're supposed to have a some fairly decent weather this week, so I'm planning on getting more yard/garden work done - finally.

Evidently we're at the 180 day ADR mark for November WDW trips. I'm such a slacker I never seem to get around to planning my meals until a few weeks out, but one of the gals in the group I'll be meeting up with is a hyper-planner and was working on some group get-togethers over the weekend. She managed to get a PPO CRT breakfast one morning, which will be a lot of fun. I think I'll get myself a tiara or possibly make myself a fancy flowered headband to mark the occasion. Hmmm... I actually have a hippy-style ribbon headband that I made for Halloween a couple years ago, it would be very easy to dissemble it and put the flowers on a hard headband with some sort of ears. I feel a craft project coming on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter