Discovery Cove - General Information

If you’re just doing the day guest without packages do you have to wear a wet suit even to do the lazy river or swim in pool? By vest to you mean life jacket?

Is it worth it to book a daybed?

Yes, guests must wear either a wet suit or vest while in the water anywhere in the park....the requirement is not tied to animal interactions or other package components. It's a safety thing: the backs of the vests and wetsuits have yellow tabs that make it easier for the lifeguards to see you.

The vests are not lifejackets. They are made from the same material as the wetsuits, but are only vests and not the full suits. They are very light and make it much easier to use the restroom than when wearing the wetsuits (though they offer much less warmth, so not always as practical in cooler weather). It is also worth noting that if you opt for the wetsuit vs the vest, you have your choice between the shortie wetsuit (with shorts-length leg coverage) or the full wetsuit (which will completely cover your legs).

We've never found the daybeds to be a good value. We've splurged for a cabana several times, but the daybeds don't offer much more than what the loungers and umbrellas do......the latter of which are plentiful and free.

Yes, guests must wear either a wet suit or vest while in the water anywhere in the park....the requirement is not tied to animal interactions or other package components. It's a safety thing: the backs of the vests and wetsuits have yellow tabs that make it easier for the lifeguards to see you.

The vests are not lifejackets. They are made from the same material as the wetsuits, but are only vests and not the full suits. They are very light and make it much easier to use the restroom than when wearing the wetsuits (though they offer much less warmth, so not always as practical in cooler weather). It is also worth noting that if you opt for the wetsuit vs the vest, you have your choice between the shortie wetsuit (with shorts-length leg coverage) or the full wetsuit (which will completely cover your legs).

We've never found the daybeds to be a good value. We've splurged for a cabana several times, but the daybeds don't offer much more than what the loungers and umbrellas do......the latter of which are plentiful and free.
Thanks for your reply! Going in August I’ll opt for the vest! Good to know about day bed. I saw pics of them and noticed they have a full canopy and walls that can be untied to cover 3 sides. With afternoon rainstorms in August I thought they’d offer good protection while waiting out the rain.

As of late April 2022, aviary is closed for walking through but open for swimming through via Wind Away river. I was told this is due to Avian Flu. Then apparently in May will close for “renovations.”

As of late April 2022, aviary is closed for walking through but open for swimming through via Wind Away river. I was told this is due to Avian Flu. Then apparently in May will close for “renovations.”

Thanks for this! I saw on the website that it was closed for "enhancements" through May but wondered if it didn't also have something to do with the avian flu. We are hoping to go in August but if the aviary is not available, that might be a "deal-breaker" for my daughter - it is one of her favorite parts of the park.

it was closed for refurbishment already though

Hi everyone - for those wondering about the status of the aviary, I received this from Discovery Cove today -

Screenshot (137).png

Yep, Aviary is back open. Been open for a week now. You just can't go to the front entrance. Have to enter throught the river. I'm SO happy they opened it back up!

Yep, Aviary is back open. Been open for a week now. You just can't go to the front entrance. Have to enter throught the river. I'm SO happy they opened it back up!
Agreed with Brandis, this is great news! We are going the last full week of May, has anyone heard if they will continue to restrict entry to the river or open up the front entrance?

Can't wait!!!

My guess is that as long as there are active cases of avian flu in Florida, they will keep the land entrance closed. Fine by me, it's more fun via the river and under the waterfall anyways. On my first few visits, I never even realised that there is another way into the aviary other than through the river :-)

Agreed with Brandis, this is great news! We are going the last full week of May, has anyone heard if they will continue to restrict entry to the river or open up the front entrance?

Can't wait!!!
They said that they didn't anticipate making any further adjustments in the foreseeable future. They expressed in their communications with me that they are essentially utilizing the chlorinated water to "disinfect" guests before and after interacting with the birds...for the safety of the birds and guests.

I don't like that the only way into the aviary is through the lazy river. I always bring my camera with me, and now I have no way to get it there

Just bring your phone, most current ones are waterproof. If not you could get a waterproof case.

Just bring your phone, most current ones are waterproof. If not you could get a waterproof case.
I second this, or buy a waterproof digi-cam. I picked up a NIkon CoolPix W-something (not sure what model but the current offering is W300), there is a cheaper version but looks less rugged). Worked great in the aviary, river, dophin swim, and deep water areas.

My camera takes better photos than my phone though

I second this, or buy a waterproof digi-cam. I picked up a NIkon CoolPix W-something (not sure what model but the current offering is W300), there is a cheaper version but looks less rugged). Worked great in the aviary, river, dophin swim, and deep water areas.

I like my current camera though (plus I don't want to spend money on something I would barely ever use)

My camera takes better photos than my phone though
I bring a DSLR to DC. With a zoom lens you can get good shots of the dolphin interactions, ie no photo package needed to get good photos.

Aside from that, those of us with cheaper phones cannot get camera-comparable shots on our phones. Even if the birds are posing nicely, but especially those shots you really need to get quickly.

If it was just my phone, I would put it in 2 ziplocs to get into the aviary but that would be difficult with a DSLR. Gallon ziplocs maybe.

I bring a DSLR to DC. With a zoom lens you can get good shots of the dolphin interactions, ie no photo package needed to get good photos.

Aside from that, those of us with cheaper phones cannot get camera-comparable shots on our phones. Even if the birds are posing nicely, but especially those shots you really need to get quickly.

If it was just my phone, I would put it in 2 ziplocs to get into the aviary but that would be difficult with a DSLR. Gallon ziplocs maybe.

the camera I use is a DSLR. my problem is between the body and lens, I don't think there's a bag it would fit in. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting until it goes back to normal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter