• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Discovery Cove in January?

MarBee

DIS Veteran
Hello,
Trying to pick our dates to go to DC. Can anyone tell me what it’s like in January? Does it ever close due to low temps? I understand January in Florida can be freezing or 80 degrees. However, if it’s very cold do they close DC? It states the water is heated but what is too cold to walk around there?
For the records, we’ve been to Disney in January a few and am from PA so the cold doesn’t bother us too much. I just don’t want to waste our one and only DC trip if we aren’t going to be able to enjoy it due to weather.
Any advice, tips, opinions, etc are welcome!

The full wetsuit will help you in the water but I think it will be too cold to enjoy it when you’re out of the water. If you think you will be able to go another time or another year in March or later, then I would wait. If this is you’re only chance ever, please go and make the best of it.

We went a few years ago in the 3rd week of November and thankfully booked it for day 2 of our trip, and it was forecast to be windy and high of 48, which is not exactly appealing for swimsuits. We went there to check-in and asked if there was a chance to reschedule, they said sure if there's availability on the day we wanted they'd do one free date-swap. So we swapped dates for 4 days later and bundled up and headed to a Disney park, then 4 days later it was sunny and upper 70s and perfect weather.

So if you want to book a day, plan it for early in your trip just in case the weather doesn't cooperate -- I don't know if they still have that "1 free date change" policy but no reason to change it as it definitely makes for a more pleasant visit and more confident planning.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter