Discovery Cove is AMAZING!

scrappinmom

WDW, DL & DLP - up next ???
Just back from our trip...We were at DC on Friday March 27th. It was amazing. I was hemming and hawing about the money...holy cow, it was completely & totally worth every penny.

We arrived early - 8:15ish - checked in, got our Dolphin Swim time - we requested early afternoon - our time was 11:55. Perfect. We walked in took a few pictures...& went to eat a little breakfast. Plenty of fruit, cereal, bagels, pastries, oatmeal, juice,coffee, tea, yogurt...Once we finished we went off to change. Asked for vests/wetsuit and changed.

First we went into the lazy river/pool to get the kids used to the whole snorkel thing...there was a DC staff member there teaching folks how to snorkel so we all did that...then we were off...we had an amazing time just swimming & looking & playing around. Swimming thru the Aviary there were several birds perched near the water to look at & "talk to". The water was very warm...I would say easily 85 degrees.

Then we wandered over to the coral reef/fish water. This water was a whole lot colder than the other! AND I forgot to tell the kids it was saltwater....eek....so after that mishap, we started exploring...WOW it was amazing. My 9 yr old was a bit freaked out by the fish swimming between her legs...but over all just a wonderful time.

We then went over to the stingray pool. They had a baby born just that morning,so while we couldn't touch the newborn, it was neat to watch...The stingrays were plentiful.

M032709_00_7721a.jpg

M032709_00_7725a.jpg

M032709_00_7754a.jpg

M032709_00_7764a.jpg

We just played around in the 3 areas until it was time for our dolphin swim.
M032709_00_1775a.jpg

M032709_00_1776a.jpg

M032709_00_1778a.jpg

M032709_00_1815a.jpg

M032709_00_1828a.jpg

M032709_00_1831a.jpg

M032709_00_1846a.jpg

These are some of the pics on the Picture disk we bought there...I have many more on my camera but haven't downloaded them yet.

Anyone have any ?

Thanks for posting.

I'm taking my DDs on Sunday, May 24th and I can't wait. My DDs are little fishes so I know that they'll have a great time.

Couple of questions - how were the wetsuits? I'm a size 14/16. How long did you stay? I'm also trying to set up dinner with family before going back to where we're staying in the Tampa area.

TIA!

Couple of questions - how were the wetsuits? I'm a size 14/16. How long did you stay? I'm also trying to set up dinner with family before going back to where we're staying in the Tampa area.

TIA!

oldest dd & I opted for the vests...which were fine,youngest got a wetsuit, which she loved....she said it was really comfy all day, until we had to peel it off of her ofcourse!

I did see plenty of people in wetsuits, I just knew I'd have to "p" too many times! hahahah (gotta love free beer)

We stayed until 5:30 & then showered & left by 6:15...although I have to tell you we were REALLY REALLY tired...we had planned on going to DTD for dinner...& opted to head back to the hotel & grab a counter service instead.

Chris, I'm so glad that you and your girls had a good time! Looks like you had loads of fun! :goodvibes I told you that you'd enjoy it and there was nothing to worry about!

About the wetsuits to the other poster, I'm a size 16 and was quite happy in a full wetsuit all day, it was very comfy until late on in the day when it did rub a little around the collar.

Enjoy!

Thank you for sharing your trip with us :thumbsup2
Can't wait to see more photos of your trip
We are going to Discovery Cove on April 22, 2009, and we can't wait :banana::yay::woohoo::cheer2::jumping3::bounce::flower1::fish::flower::wave::jumping1:

We'll be at DC on April 13th. What snacks are available during the course of the day (other than bfast and lunch)? Is there coffee/tea at bfast? What "free" beverages are offered during the day? And as far as the beer goes, it it just Budweiser or other beers too? Are there plenty of "pool" towels? Lastly, I read on the DC website about sunscreen - they provide one that's safe for the dolphins and other fish. yes? Do they actually give you a tube of it and if not, is it available around the park to reapply thruout the day? THANKS!

We'll be at DC on April 13th. What snacks are available during the course of the day (other than bfast and lunch)? Is there coffee/tea at bfast? What "free" beverages are offered during the day? And as far as the beer goes, it it just Budweiser or other beers too? Are there plenty of "pool" towels? Lastly, I read on the DC website about sunscreen - they provide one that's safe for the dolphins and other fish. yes? Do they actually give you a tube of it and if not, is it available around the park to reapply thruout the day? THANKS!

Let's see there was chips (Lays brands), hot pretzels, slushies, pepsi products of all kinds, ice cream bars, fruit bars, bananas, apples. Yes coffee/tea all day long, beers...hmm..I can't remember but there were at least 4 different ones to choose from (we only drank the bud light).

more pool towels than you will ever need.

They give you a small sample of sunscreen...and you can purchase more. There were 6 of us, we had enough for the day. We just opened one packet at a time. I did see people with kids using the regular old sunscreen and no one said anything to them, so I'm not sure if you could bring your own or not. I need special sunscreen for my scalp/hair (thank you Lupus)...& I asked if I could use that & they said yes.

We had C.J. - he was quite the cutie!

Now I know why I thought I recognised him. I have never actually interacted with CJ, but I swam with his sister when I did my Trainer for a Day at Seaworld San Diego. They look so similar. CJ is one very special dolphin.

dolphingirl47

Now I know why I thought I recognised him. I have never actually interacted with CJ, but I swam with his sister when I did my Trainer for a Day at Seaworld San Diego. They look so similar. CJ is one very special dolphin.

dolphingirl47

That's one part of the interaction I wish they taped....our trainer told us SO many cool things about dolphins and CJ I'd rather listen to that on the DVD than the music.

I believe CJ is the one dolphin that was born from 2 different types of dolphins (dolphingirl47 - I'm sure you know the types! I don't)...his mom was a bottlenose and his dad something else. But he's unique in color (He's darker than the others), and he has teeth like his dad not his mom so he has more than a "regular" dolphin.

It really was amazing, completely worth every single penny spent.

The Shedd Aquarium here in Chicago is starting a new program to train with the Belugas this summer, oldest dd has already asked to do it for her bday. I was a little skeptical as it's $300+ but aftter Discovery Cove, I can't wait to sign her up!

Thanks so much for sharing your pics and your day. We dont' go till November. REally excited about it. I got a discovery cove barbie type doll for my daughter for her birthday last week. Thanks again.

Great pics. I went on the 1st, was putting together my trip report, and found out you must have 10 posts to put up pics, so here's number 8.

The place is amazing, we had Iggy and Coral for our dolphin swim, pics coming soon. There's 9.

Jeez, I hate hijacking a thread, but I just spent an hour uploading and typing, I have to get my 10. There, that should do it. :rolleyes1

CJ is a common/Bottlenose dolphin hybrid your lucky to have swam with him he's also the "star" of the Discovery cove commercial..

That's one part of the interaction I wish they taped....our trainer told us SO many cool things about dolphins and CJ I'd rather listen to that on the DVD than the music.

I believe CJ is the one dolphin that was born from 2 different types of dolphins (dolphingirl47 - I'm sure you know the types! I don't)...his mom was a bottlenose and his dad something else. But he's unique in color (He's darker than the others), and he has teeth like his dad not his mom so he has more than a "regular" dolphin.

It really was amazing, completely worth every single penny spent.

The Shedd Aquarium here in Chicago is starting a new program to train with the Belugas this summer, oldest dd has already asked to do it for her bday. I was a little skeptical as it's $300+ but aftter Discovery Cove, I can't wait to sign her up!

As you rightly say, CJ's mum Jenny is an Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin.
His dad is a Common Dolphin. I was lucky enough to see wild Common
Dolphins near Catalina Island on one of our trips to Southern
California. They are much darker than Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphins
(depending on how the light reflects off them they almost look steel
blue) and have a very distinct stripe.

If you can afford to do the Beluga programme, I would definitely
recommend it. I did the Marine Mammal Keeper Experience at Seaworld
Orlando twice and as part of this I had the chance to interact with
Belugas. This is truly amazing.

dolphingirl47

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter