Discovery Cove - June 15, 2008

DixieDolphin

Mouseketeer
So, I meant to post this earlier but between a slammed week at work and insanity in preparation for my apartment move next week, I hadn't had the opportunity.

Last Sunday, I did the Discovery Cove thing again. I hadn't been since I quit working there in around 2004, so I'd really been jonesing to go back.

This is, I believe, my seventh trip as a guest (not counting all the days I spent there working) to Discovery Cove and my fourth time doing their dolphin swim. So, naturally I knew what to expect. Thus, most of my observations revolved around the /differences/ between this trip and my last one in 2004.

I pulled up at about 7:45am and the line to check in was minimal, with only perhaps four people ahead of me. The check-in process is more or less exactly as it was years ago, with no hassle at all. One thing I did notice and was very happy to see was that they now have a small plastic card with a map of the park on it attached to your ID lanyard. It's an /excellent/ idea and I'm glad they finally did something like that! A minor detail, but they also changed the lanyards from the simple black whistle-cords to a nicer nylon ribbon with the DC logo on it.

2582115634_67b263b098.jpg

Entering the park, the entrance walk experience was notably different. In years past, they had the swim gear folks out here to hand out the snorkel bags along the walkway. They also had the photog folks earlier along the trail to take your complimentary picture, too. Then you would stop at the wooden bridge and wait for your guide to do the backwards walking thing.

This time, however, there was nobody along the trail till the bridge. They took the comp photo after the bridge, then grouped up for the guide. The swim gear folks were nowhere to be found, which gave me pause at first. But, it turns out that now the swim gear folks are set up at each individual locker station to distribute gear bags & wetsuits. Ahh, good idea DC!

2581260119_680d75ea49.jpg

Interestingly, the gear bags no longer contained a towel (not a problem, since all the bathrooms are fully stocked with warm, fresh ones). Not so nice, however, was the low-quality snorkel and mask in the bag. While the cheap snorkel is not a big deal (after all, they're giving them away every day!), the cheap mask was disappointing. I can only imagine that they had to switch from the high-quality masks (like one would find in a dive shop) to the cheap toy-like masks (like one finds at wal-mart) due to people stealing them. When I was last there, the masks were nice quality ScubaPro models with neoprene strap covers to prevent hair tangling in the silicon straps. Now, they're the cheap crap you can pick up for ten bucks at walmart. Booo!

But, as I said, I imagine that has a LOT to do with people stealing the masks. Contrary to something I saw posted here earlier, guests are NOT supposed to take home any of the equipment except the snorkel. Not the mask, not the mesh bag, not the towels, and not the wetsuits. Just the snorkel.

For me, though, I brought my own mask & snorkel anyway. So, eh.

At any rate, one thing that definitely remained the same, however, was the AWESOME service. Everyone was extremely friendly and all the staff were top notch as always. Big kudos to DC there!

I noticed a sign near the blue bridge which advertised a Horticultural Tour and a Let's Talk Training Tour. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to take either tour and didn't get the chance to inquire whether they were free or not. But this is definitely something I would recommend someone asking about!

On to the rest, though..

2581271065_7ff4ccbe46.jpg

Free continental breakfast was a great addition to the park! I indulged myself with a couple of pastries, some yoghurt, and a banana. They also offered cereal and some other goodies & fruit. Nice basic selection.

Started off the day after that with some snorkeling in the Tropical Reef. I noticed they removed the "Tide Pool" area, which had some live corals and more delicate reef fish. I imagine it was removed to keep kids from playing in it (and the birds from eating the smaller fish). I also noticed that there were far fewer of the Atlantic Spadefish, which I guess might be because they are aggressive biters. ;) The eagle rays are huge now, though! Seriously, HUGE! Apparently their largest is now over 180lbs, wow.

2581406367_f14ed0bbb3.jpg

I had an early dolphin swim at Sand Dollar. My interaction was with Natalie, who has a 9 month old calf named Iggie. The calf is still mostly untrained and dependent upon his mother, so he spent a good portion of the time hanging out near her. On multiple occasions, he came up and nudged me with his rostrum. However, we were not to reinforce that behavior, so I ignored him. (Although, it was still cute!) Natalie was a real sweetheart of a dolphin, too. She was very attentive to her calf, keeping an eye on him whenever he strayed off any distance. It was pretty neat to watch their interaction so close-up.

2581421473_0a3fcce1f9.jpg

(That's Iggie in front!)​

Had lunch #1 after the swim. It's worth noting that the menu listed online and commonly referenced here ( http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/dcmenu2.html ) is completely out of date. No more fajitas, no more tropical stir fry. =( For round one, I tried their Pasta Primavera. It was very basic & vegetarian. Penne pasta with a scoop of pesto and a pile of their mixed veggies. The mixed veggies were very tasty (especially the little cocktail onions, which were very flavorful!), but the dish itself was nothing special. I had a slice of key lime pie with it, which was (in the opinion of a self-described key lime pie connoisseur) extremely sub-par. It was more like key-lime cheesecake, with a strange texture and no bite at all. I decided to come back later and try something else (because the change to ALL free food is AWESOME!)

Got back into the water and spent a couple of nice, lazy laps around the river. I just LOVE that river. The theming is so beautiful and I LOVE all the underwater scenery. I wish Aquatica had put this much beauty into their lazy rivers! Spent some time in the aviary, fed some birds… took some photos (which I haven't had time to download just yet). Maybe it's because I spent about 80% of my time in the aviary when I worked there, but it doesn't thrill me all that much. So I really didn't spend much time at all in there, comparatively.

2581426609_45553d8689.jpg

I did spend a whole lot of time in the Reef and Ray Pool, though. It was just a total blast as always!

Went back at 2:30pm for Lunch #2 (as Laguna Grill closes at 3PM). This time, I had the roasted chicken. This was MUCH better than the pasta. It was a big chunk of herbed & roasted chicken, plopped on a bed of red-skinned mashed potatoes, with a spoonful of some sort of savory sauce and a big helping of the mixed veggies (the same ones they put on the pasta). I also asked them for a scoop of their roasted potatoes (herbed and tasty!) on the side. This was a great selection, which I heartily enjoyed. I tried their red velvet cake for desert, but was still unimpressed. It was MUCH better than the key lime pie, but really still rather lacking. I have noticed that Sea World just doesn't do a great job when it comes to deserts. They're usually generic, bland, and the same in every restaurant.

Back out to enjoy another round or two in the water, with a quick stop at one of the snack bars to grab a cup of frozen lemonade (again, this free food deal is MUCH nicer than the old way!)

At about 4:30pm, the daily rainstorm started building on the horizon. So I called it a day and scurried over to get photos & such taken care of before the massive rush started at 5pm.

2581410563_5558f1f5e2.jpg

Ahh, the photo operation. My old job! Let me tell you, this operation is SO much better than it was when I worked there! YES, they finally combined dolphin photo & stingray/aviary! YES, they finally tossed Freeze Frame out!

The photo building is now where Stingray/Aviary Photo was (the old Dolphin Photo booth is now Guest Services, where they sell $20 mask / snorkel combos. =P ). The entire building has been revamped and expanded from when I worked there. There are about four times as many employees now, too. The entire operation is well run and smoothly functioning, unlike the mass chaos it was before. Big KUDOS! to them for getting their act together on this. From start to finish, it only took about ten minutes to select, order, pay, and receive my photos. And that's including canceling & re-ringing up my order to include my SW annual passholder discount (YES! We get a discount on photos!) It was QUICK, QUICK, QUICK! Plus, rather than wait in line at Reception for your comp photo, you get it at this location. Just be sure to ask for it, as my attendant needed reminding.

The prices listed online somewhere (they've been posted often) are accurate and DO include any photos from the aviary, stingray pool, or waterfall area. Apparently they ALSO give you a 4x6 print and two wallets complimentary (possibly because I bought a package?), although their reason was not explained to me. But I saw several folks also getting them.

2581412349_3a05d81cb3.jpg

Then it was off for a quick shower and change, then to buy a nice hat for myself (I've wanted one of those white canvas panama jack DC hats they have there for years). I walked out of the park at about 5:30 or so. And the rain hit just as I exited Reception. Good timing, if I do say so myself!

Anyway, so there it is. Another AWESOME day at Discovery Cove. Man, how I love that place! Hopefully there won't be such a huge gap between now and the next time I visit as. =D

More photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jadewolf/sets/72157605633763393/

:thumbsup2 Wow that sounded like agreat trip.We have been wanting togo there so bad.Times are tight wright now,its gonna have to wate.But love the TR..

WOW WOW WOW Have wanted to do this for so many years, but somehow, it never works out.......Now that I have seen how really wonderful it is I will definately do it some time soon.....Thanks for the GREAT trip report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the trip report and pictures. We have our very first visit scheduled for 8/26. It's a surprise for my daughter. Were these pictures all taken by the DC photogs? Also, I guess I might not feel so comfortable swimming with a new mom and her baby -- won't the mom be too overprotective?

Thanks! =D

Yep, those are all photos taken by the staff photogs. I was darn glad to have caught them at the waterfall, too.. as they were only there very briefly (which was surprising to me, as when I worked that job we sold TONS of waterfall shots).

I was a little curious how it would work out with the whole mother & calf issue, but it seemed to go pretty smooth. Natalie (the mother dolphin) stayed focused on her trainer and the job at hand, although she would turn and watch if the calf swam too far away. But as soon as he came back, she was all business again.

She was actually one of the sweeter dolphins I've seen there. Interestingly, on one of the previous times back in 2003, I did my interaction with CJ (a nifty hybrid Bottlenose-Common Dolphin cross)... he was a feisty little guy and tried to bite my arm on the first 'kiss' attempt. It freaked out the trainer a little (who probably saw the specter of lawsuits hanging in the air), but I shrugged it off. :confused3 Animals bite, that's what they do. Besides, I've been bit and kicked by enough horses not to let it faze me. ;)

Anyway, hopefully I'll have some of MY photos processed soon. I haven't had the time to even take the card out of the camera, much less download & start post-processing them. Maybe next week I'll have some to show! =D

It totally got me psyched for our visit on the 4th of July! I love this park so,so much! This will be our 2nd time there(our 1st trip to DC was July 4th of 2004)and this time we're bringing 6 more people with us!!!
Thanks again for sharing!!:goofy:

Thanks for the great review!!!
I'm looking forward to going next May with DH and DD(6) .
Subscribing, hoping to see more of your pictures.

That was an awesome trip report. Thanks for sharing! I've been twice and can't wait to go back.

Thanks so much for posting in such great detail. I just booked my honeymoon day there next year on June 3rd and can't wait. I have never been, but it has been a dream ever since it opened. :cool1:

So, if I have an nice mask/snorkel can I bring mine, too?

Great TR...thanks! We'll be there in two weeks! :cool1:

I'd like to know, too. I'm thinking of buying a nicer one for me and the kids to start practicing. We are planning to do this in 2009, and a cruise in 2010, so we'll get some use out of them.

So, if I have an nice mask/snorkel can I bring mine, too?

Great TR...thanks! We'll be there in two weeks! :cool1:

Yep! You can bring your own mask & snorkel (I prefer to do that). Just don't bring fins, as they'll ask you to leave them in your car.

The past week or so has been real crazy, but I hope to get the rest of my photos up soon. =)

Thanks so much for the awesome DC TR! :cheer2:

We are going for the first time on August 1! I can't wait! My twins are excited about the dolphin swim, but are REALLY psyched about the rays! :goodvibes My 17 y.o. nephew is even doing the Trainer for A Day.

Only 27 days until our first trip to Florida/WDW! "Mothers and Sons"

Me (36), DS (7), DS (7), my sis (42), her son/my neph. (17)
(hubbies didn't want to go - whatever!)

One night Nickelodeon Hotel / 7 nights AKL

Great report and pics - thanks for sharing. :goodvibes

We've always wanted to visit DC, but DD was too young to swim with the dolphins during our last few trips. :headache: Maybe we can go next year though as she'll be 7 y.o. ;)

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing! I am so looking forward to doing this in Feb! Is there a particular day of the week you'd recommend?

Never mind. After thinking about it, I realized that admission is limited so one day is probably no different than the next. We arrive on a Wednesday and check into the HRH (7 nights). I am thinking Saturday or Sunday. Gives us time to reschedule in the event of inclement weather and a day at Sea World.

Wow, it looks so awesome! We have our day scheduled for Sunday 9/14/08. We are taking our 9 year old girl and 7 year old boy-surprising him with the birthday package-he'll be 8 the week after we return from Orlando. I think it's definately going to be one of the highlights of the entire 10 day trip. My husband and I can hardly wait!

Thanks for reconfirming spending that much money will be well worth it! We are soooooo excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter