• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Discovery +...........ugh

usnuzuloose

Loosing Boo Boo
Is this channel frustarating to you? They have taken all the good shows away for us to have to pay. Not only do I pay a high price for cable , they removed all the good shows for having people to pay for streaming. What is your thought on this?

As someone who has paid for Discovery Channel as part of my Cable and Satellite programming package for over 30 years, I feel like Discovery+ is a kick in the teeth to all of us long time customers. Now we have to pay extra for the programming. We have a Netflix account, given to our daughter as a gift several years ago that we have access to. Not a fan of streaming services. I'll give them a few more weeks of the ads, then they are getting the nasty Tweet or e-mail from me.

As someone who has paid for Discovery Channel as part of my Cable and Satellite programming package for over 30 years, I feel like Discovery+ is a kick in the teeth to all of us long time customers. Now we have to pay extra for the programming. We have a Netflix account, given to our daughter as a gift several years ago that we have access to. Not a fan of streaming services. I'll give them a few more weeks of the ads, then they are getting the nasty Tweet or e-mail from me.
I don't know who you have , I have consolidated communications and I called and told them to lower the bill as all the good programs are now gone. I cant do away with my cable as it has my phone, no cell phone. I am really angry with the cable company and the channels as well.

I cut the cord a long time ago. I’m really only interested in the Erwins, which gets unlocked over time in the Animal Planet app.

I agree that it stinks! I won't pay extra for Discovery, and at what $5.99 a month???? Netflix is alot cheaper for the whole year! I feel sorry for my 93 y/o Mother who loves the shows on discovery. She can't understand why they took her favorite shows off discovery. She doesn't have wifi or any technology of course, she is 93! I feel bad for her. Because of this, I wouldn't take Discovery+ if it was free. Just a money grab, IMO>

I agree that it stinks! I won't pay extra for Discovery, and at what $5.99 a month???? Netflix is alot cheaper for the whole year! I feel sorry for my 93 y/o Mother who loves the shows on discovery. She can't understand why they took her favorite shows off discovery. She doesn't have wifi or any technology of course, she is 93! I feel bad for her. Because of this, I wouldn't take Discovery+ if it was free. Just a money grab, IMO>

Netflix is cheaper than five dollars and ninety nine cents a YEAR??

What are you trying to watch? I've recently joined the cult of the cord cutters. You may not find the exact same programming elsewhere, but the +$100/month I am saving I can live with what I am watching. You'd be better off dumping the cable programming and just buying Discovery+ if that's what you really want to watch.

I am upset that I cannot get Discovery+ because our TVs are older models.
Why not? I was watching everything on an older CRT TV and a ROKU before I broke down and bought a new TV - wish I'd done that sooner. You can buy an HDMI adapter cheap on Amazon if you want to stick with your older TV.

Which shows are gone from regular cable? I probably wouldn't call any of them "good" ;) but I still watch a number of them.

Well we can’t even get in Canada even if we wanted.

Which I don’t. I will find something else to watch or just read the message boards.....lol

What are you trying to watch? I've recently joined the cult of the cord cutters. You may not find the exact same programming elsewhere, but the +$100/month I am saving I can live with what I am watching. You'd be better off dumping the cable programming and just buying Discovery+ if that's what you really want to watch.
Every time I look at cutting the cord, the reality is , the channels I want most are not available anywhere but cable or satellite.

My husband a BIG Alton Brown fan is really quite upset that they are only doing the new season of Good Eats Returns on Discovery + we may end up getting it for this very reason
That's really awful. They need to be developing new series for the paid service instead of cannibalizing the old ones.

We pay a lot for cable. But it has our internet, email and phone bundled in. So I really don't want to have to make a change. And my husband will never dump cable because of the sports programming.

There will be more stories like this as more and more people cut the cord and content providers transition away from a bundled satellite or cable provider model.

In the end many will truly save money because they will only need to buy one or two streaming services to get what they want but many others will end up spending more money as they end up paying for five or more streaming services to get the content they desire.

Consumers have been yelling they want unbundled services and are finally getting their wish with some unintended consequences.

Eventually the pendulum will swing back towards bundling and a few decades from now someone will invent the bundled streaming package and call it Comcast 2.0.

There will be more stories like this as more and more people cut the cord and content providers transition away from a bundled satellite or cable provider model.

In the end many will truly save money because they will only need to buy one or two streaming services to get what they want but many others will end up spending more money as they end up paying for five or more streaming services to get the content they desire.

Consumers have been yelling they want unbundled services and are finally getting their wish with some unintended consequences.

Eventually the pendulum will swing back towards bundling and a few decades from now someone will invent the bundled streaming package and call it Comcast 2.0.

Yeah, the issue will be with the smaller companies, like Discovery (who is not that small, but they're not one of the big studios). I would be fine with the major studios all having their own service - I can get one or more, but when you start adding a few bucks here and there for the mid-tier cable channels, it will get more expensive. Worst of all, the smaller tier companies won't have services at all - they had to be bundled to survive.

The thing that bothers me a lot too is that it's not clear what is on where because of pre-existing deals and such. I want all Disney stuff on Disney and all Warner Bros. stuff on HBO. Of course, those are the easy ones - the average viewer probably doesn't even really know what belongs to Paramount or Universal. Still, a service for each of the bigs, which I guess inclues Netflix now, would be ideal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter