• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Discovery +...........ugh

Paying for access and still getting ads is ridiculous, just like on Hulu, and $6.99 is too much for one channel's content. We have 6 months free through Verizon, and we will cancel after that.

If I weren't still paying for DirecTV, maybe I'd buy it.

My husband a BIG Alton Brown fan is really quite upset that they are only doing the new season of Good Eats Returns on Discovery + we may end up getting it for this very reason

I think, these are also available on HULU right now.

I ditched cable this past year because it became useless.
I now only seek out what I know and like, which is probably the opposite of what the advertisers want but they created the situation.
It was refreshing to be able to watch the Superbowl free, I think that is the only live thing I've seen in quite some time other than the fireside chats & Covid stuff that we had and gets through every now and then. I prefer live or 'as it comes' but it's impossible to locate shows, like I want to see the Queen Latifa show Equalizer they advertised during the Superbowl but my searches seem to come up empty and I'm not paying for a new channel for one show that I may or may not love

Because we have HBO, we get HBO MAX included. I feel that if you have cable then Discovery+ should be included. If you have cut the cord, then you should pay for the channels that you want.

The current season is on Hulu. It sounds like the new season is Discovery+ only.

I've been streaming for so long that I don't keep up with what's current. I watch whenever stuff hits my streaming service. For example, multiple seasons of Heartland just hit Netflix, so I'm watching those. Once you get this streaming mindset, it won't matter to you if stuff is delayed.

Paying for access and still getting ads is ridiculous, just like on Hulu, and $6.99 is too much for one channel's content. We have 6 months free through Verizon, and we will cancel after that.

If I weren't still paying for DirecTV, maybe I'd buy it.
Umm... Every cable and satellite provider does exactly this. They cram 3-6 min of commercials in every break. At least on Hulu it's usually 30-90 seconds, and they give you a countdown timer, so you know how much time you have to grab a drink or use the restroom.

Pretending like it's ridiculous is ludicrous.

Umm... Every cable and satellite provider does exactly this. They cram 3-6 min of commercials in every break. At least on Hulu it's usually 30-90 seconds, and they give you a countdown timer, so you know how much time you have to grab a drink or use the restroom.

Yeah, basic cable has always had subscribers AND advertisements. It's not that abnormal. Personally, I like that there is pricing flexibility - ads vs. no ads - it gives people options. Now, I would prefer the no-ads teir, but offering the choice isn't ridiculous.

Most don't remember that channels get paid as part of your cable bill.

Some streaming services offer an option to pay more to cover commercials as well.

Umm... Every cable and satellite provider does exactly this.

That's the channel, not the provider. I could get ABC/NBC/CBS for free if I had an antenna, so I feel like it's fair that there are commercials. Basic cable should be commercial-free, though, since you can only get that if you pay for it through a provider.

AND since I already pay my tv provider for access to Discovery, I don't know why I would have to pay extra for Discovery+. Just put those shows on your network. This is why I said I probably would pay for it if I didn't have regular TV. But I do have regular TV, so I'm not paying extra on top. Maybe they should do what Disney Now does, and allow you to watch shows if you have a login for a tv provider.

Last edited:
We did get Discovery+ because I like several of the channels offered. I would like to cut the satellite cord but there are still a few things we can’t get through streaming. We pay way too much for satellite so it would be nice to get rid of it.

Basic cable should be commercial-free, though, since you can only get that if you pay for it through a provider.

If that were the case though it would be premium cable and would cost a lot more!

Does basic cable cost too much for what it is? Probably, but the model is what it is. It's been working for a while.

I've been streaming for so long that I don't keep up with what's current. I watch whenever stuff hits my streaming service. For example, multiple seasons of Heartland just hit Netflix, so I'm watching those. Once you get this streaming mindset, it won't matter to you if stuff is delayed.
PREACH!

I was surprised just how good the OTA digital content is. I hoped to get the 4 major networks, but I got a lot more than that. Pretty much everything "local" is available OTA for free, same signal you pay for on cable or satellite. I was able to watch the Superbowl on both CBS and on Pluto - didn't expect that. There are bundled services (Youtube and HULU but they are not alone) that you can get through your WiFi but I didn't see channels there I couldn't live without and that was on the pricey side (a better than cable option for local network channels if you can't get a good OTA digital signal though). Sports is out there too but usually a team season subscription model and not all sports. I haven't fully researched that. The only thing I am really missing right now is the DVR. Honestly though, there is so little new content out right now we really weren't using it, and RamblingMad is right - it will eventually end up on-demand on HULU or Amazon (or Roku for free) and I subscribe to both of those - and STILL save over $100/month over what I was paying for DirectTV.

What I would do if I were you - go buy a digital antenna from Amazon (around $20 and there are tons of options), see what you can get OTA, then see what it would cost to cut the cord and add the content you really want. Worst case - you are out $20 for an antenna you won't use. You could even return that though.

Are they moving Gold Rush to Discovery+? If so, then I’m getting my nasty letter writing pen (which is actually a keyboard now) out of mothballs!!!

PREACH!

I was surprised just how good the OTA digital content is. I hoped to get the 4 major networks, but I got a lot more than that. Pretty much everything "local" is available OTA for free, same signal you pay for on cable or satellite. I was able to watch the Superbowl on both CBS and on Pluto - didn't expect that. There are bundled services (Youtube and HULU but they are not alone) that you can get through your WiFi but I didn't see channels there I couldn't live without and that was on the pricey side (a better than cable option for local network channels if you can't get a good OTA digital signal though). Sports is out there too but usually a team season subscription model and not all sports. I haven't fully researched that. The only thing I am really missing right now is the DVR. Honestly though, there is so little new content out right now we really weren't using it, and RamblingMad is right - it will eventually end up on-demand on HULU or Amazon (or Roku for free) and I subscribe to both of those - and STILL save over $100/month over what I was paying for DirectTV.

What I would do if I were you - go buy a digital antenna from Amazon (around $20 and there are tons of options), see what you can get OTA, then see what it would cost to cut the cord and add the content you really want. Worst case - you are out $20 for an antenna you won't use. You could even return that though.

True. I love Grit, Antenna TV, Decades, and Heroes. Lots of great OTA programming if you are close to the antennas and can get a good signal weather permitting. I recently watched a lot of Welcome Back, Kotter. It was before my time. I grew up on Head of the Class, so it was nice to see that show with less smart students.

That's really awful. They need to be developing new series for the paid service instead of cannibalizing the old ones.

We pay a lot for cable. But it has our internet, email and phone bundled in. So I really don't want to have to make a change. And my husband will never dump cable because of the sports programming.
Same here phone and all of the package

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter