Discussions with Jim Lewis from the 2005 Member's Cruise.

TnRobin

The prodical child
We had the priveledge to listen to Jim Lewis, Senior VP and General Manager of DVC today on the Cruise. He is a wonderful speaker and the presentation was awesome. Here are a few things I thought you would like to know.

---- The next member cruise will be October 22, 2006. Start marking your calendar now. Details to follow

----They are working on the details to get the Meals Your Way added for DVC member. Hopefully an announcement will be coming soon.

---- ABC is going to be giving away a 220 point membership - including all exchange fees and annual dues paid- on America's Funniest Videos. Watch for details

---- Table Service will soon be available at the Turf Club Bar and Grill at Saratoga Springs. This will be located off from the area where the Turf Club is now. Looks like from the drawing that the turf club will still be there.

---- He is dedicated to making the member's website the best in the industry. One day we will be able to check our point balances, manage our profiles etc.

---- Expect an "exciting project" to be announced in the near future.

---- He could neither confirm nor deny any plans for Contemporary or AKL.

They also previewed the new "Disney Secrets Revealed" These are little snippets to be shown on the TVs about DVC. I thought they were really good.

Great information! Hopefully that "surprise" will be a new DVC in Hawaii! :goodvibes

My kids were very disappointed that we couldn't get a meal plan with our tickets for next September. I told them to hang in there, you just never know with Disney, they have come through for us in the past!!!!

And here is a hint that it may be coming!!! I just knew it!! That Pixie Dust really works.

TnRobin said:
---- ABC is going to be giving away a 220 point membership - including all exchange fees and annual dues paid- on America's Funniest Videos. Watch for details
Does anyone else think 220 is a strange number of points to give away for a free membership? Instead of like 200 or 250 or something like that? I think that pretty much proves there is going to be a DVC at the Contemporary. The numbers just line up! Well, not really...it doesn't prove anything, but it is kinda weird. (I don't get the whole buy 120 get 100 free one time deal either they were running...)

I think 220 was the original initial buy in way back when.

TnRobin said:
---- Expect an "exciting project" to be announced in the near future.

And the anticipation continues to build.

dianeschlicht said:
I think 220 was the original initial buy in way back when.
I thought it was 230.

TnRobin - Thanks so much for the updates! Keep 'em coming if you hear anything else of interest. Looking forward to a trip report!

Best wishes -

Deemarch said:
My kids were very disappointed that we couldn't get a meal plan with our tickets for next September. I told them to hang in there, you just never know with Disney, they have come through for us in the past!!!!

And here is a hint that it may be coming!!! I just knew it!! That Pixie Dust really works.
MS informed me last week that it wouldn't be available this December. Perhaps next year :goodvibes. Still wonder how'd they tie in the plan to DVC. In addition to your stay, I'd think they'd have to link them to a MYW min. tix purchase. Another perceived strike against buying AP's for us. Might be an off chance they'd credit you for an AP though?

keishashadow said:
MS informed me last week that it wouldn't be available this December. Perhaps next year :goodvibes. Still wonder how'd they tie in the plan to DVC. In addition to your stay, I'd think they'd have to link them to a MYW min. tix purchase. Another perceived strike against buying AP's for us. Might be an off chance they'd credit you for an AP though?
I don't understand how that is a strike against AP's. With the AP you can get the DDE card that gives you 20% off food and beverages (including alcoholic) for up to 10 people per check. That seems like a great deal to me.

dianeschlicht said:
I don't understand how that is a strike against AP's. With the AP you can get the DDE card that gives you 20% off food and beverages (including alcoholic) for up to 10 people per check. That seems like a great deal to me.
Well, there's many DVC'ers that don't eat enough table service meals to make the DDE a good deal for us. I, also, would love to have the MYW dining plan.

Breakfast in the room, lunch at counter service and then dinner at a sit down place. Pretty much sounds perfect to me.

JodyTG said:
Well, there's many DVC'ers that don't eat enough table service meals to make the DDE a good deal for us. I, also, would love to have the MYW dining plan.

Breakfast in the room, lunch at counter service and then dinner at a sit down place. Pretty much sounds perfect to me.
DDE works at most counter service restaurants. You could still do breakfast in the room and then use the DDE for your counter service and table service meals. I could easily eat 1 TS & 1 CS meal plus a snack for less than $35 /day with a DDE card. (I generally do not order dessert or an appetizer at TS meals - too much food for me).

I like the DDE because it gives me a discount but doesn't incent me to eat more than I should "to get my money's worth" or because it is free / cheap.

Still, I hope DVC does come up with a meal plan since so many seem to want one. I know quite a few members do not go often enough or long enough to make an AP the best choice for admission.

Best wishes -

CarolMN said:
DDE works at most counter service restaurants.

Has this changed?

The only ones I know of are Beaches N Cream and the ones in the Animal Kingdom.

Unless the original plan has changed, you can't use DDE at the Land, in any of the counter service places in the WS countries or in any of the counter service at MGM or MK.

MYW Dining worked great for us. You have to take into account that some meals use 2 options: Yaughtsman, Hoop De Doo & Poly Luau. Also, you can stretch the meal plan to use for an additional day the date you check out. They're even letting them use it for the CP pkg (not me - I had to purchase it as a DVC member).

In Feb I really liked the idea that our meals were paid in advance of our trip (sort of like the room @ DVC ;) ). We don't eat breakfast, eat an early large lunch and a late dinner, use the snack option for water & popcorn - perfect for us. Don't think we're overdoing it. Call me spoiled but I don't want to cook on vacation; especially in the spacious studio kitchenette. Not even toast & coffee in the morning, well maybe coffee!

Some DVC'ers only visit once every 3 years :eek: No way an AP would work for them. There's also folks like me, newbies w/lots of leftover tix. IMO the DDE is a better deal for larger groups, not as big savings for 2 or 3 people; especially if you're not planning on drinking alcohol. Lastly, some folks like to go to other parks too, while still returning to WDW to eat.

One of the great things about DVC, one size does not fit all.

kathleena said:
Has this changed?

The only ones I know of are Beaches N Cream and the ones in the Animal Kingdom.

Unless the original plan has changed, you can't use DDE at the Land, in any of the counter service places in the WS countries or in any of the counter service at MGM or MK.

You're right - my mistake. Other than the CS places in the AK, the DDE does not work for the CS in the other parks. It does work at the Food courts in the Values, POFQ, SSR and most all the lounges.

Best wishes -

CarolMN said:
You're right - my mistake. Other than the CS places in the AK, the DDE does not work for the CS in the other parks. It does work at the Food courts in the Values, POFQ, SSR and most all the lounges.

Best wishes -
I guess that's why I think it is about perfect for us. We rarely to never eat CS at the parks except for AK, so the DDE card is going to be a big plus for us.

CarolMN said:

Best wishes -

Oh rats - I was hoping I had missed something - although I didn't remember about the resort food courts!

kathleena said:
Oh rats - I was hoping I had missed something - although I didn't remember about the resort food courts!

What I noticed about the resort food court listings is it tended to be the ones without sitdown restaurants, (like All Stars, Pop, POFQ) but I didn't check it closely. Is it good at say the Pepper Market at Cor Springs since its good at the Maya? hmmm - maybe I have broken logic here.

Nuts - where is my list? lol

Robin - thanks for keeping us informed.

Announcing the cruise to the people already on the one this year is a great idea! They are getting better at giving notice maybe! :teeth:

Can't wait to see some "exciting things" coming down the pike!

Laura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter