• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DISers in the 2004 WDW marathon

I'll be running the half marathon! It will be my first one. I think I will really be inspired by running through the parks, at least I hope so!

Have you been in WDW during that weekend? I am wondering where to stay...

I 'd like to stay at the Yacht or Beach Club (my favorites) but if there is an official "event hotel" I wouldn't want to miss out on the action.

Best of luck to you!
Caitlin

Just wondering when is the WDW marathon - Is it in Jan.?

Would love to do it, but don't know if I will be ready for it, possibly having knee surgery in Oct.

Oh well there is always the next year.:Pinkbounc

There really is no official Race resort. Many of the runners - remember there are 18,000 of them - stay on property. The days leading up to the race are filled with racers at the parks. It is even more so after the race. It truely is a weekend event.

Hopefully you both are already registered. I know the 1/2 is full and I think the Marathon is full as well.

Marathon weekend this year starts January 9th. The marathon itself is on Jan 11. I volunteered last year and I had a blast. I even talked my dad into running it this year.

I talked to the coordinator of the marathon last year and she told me that they had 24000 registered runners. Trust me, it seemed like I gave out that much water.

Last year we stayed at the Courtyard in DTD, but this year we are going to stay on-site because getting to the marathon was not convenient. We had to call a taxi, which cost us $20 to get from our hotel to Animal Kingdom. That seemed mighty expensive to me.

This experience is once in a lifetime. Have fun.

Traci-lyn

Hi, I was planning on going at this time alone with my DS ,who will be 4 at that time, thinking that the crowds would be very low. Should I change my dates or will it be ok?

HI

I will run/walk in the marathon. Good luck getting room - seems almost impossible, but I did get one in Lake Buena Vista.

Hi, I volunteered at the Marathon this year and that was the lowest crowds I've ever seen. We pretty much walked on every ride. I couldn't believe it. And the crowds really cleared out the day after the marathon. When we go next year, we are going to stay for longer after marathon weekend. Hope this helps.

Great - I just made my reservation today - took forever - hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the park some- without the crowds

What part of NJ are you from?

Good for you. Maybe we will have a meet. We still haven't booked because I have siblings all over the country who can't decide if they would like to come yet. My dad is doing the half this year, so I'd like if we all could go to cheer him on.

I am from Ocean County, about 20 minutes from the beach. Are you from Jersey also?

Yes - from Ocean County also - several years ago, that is.

Changed my marathon room to inside the park - should make transportation much easier - I can hardly wait!

I'll be running the 1/2 marathon if training goes well. Do we get more information this fall? I have never run it and don't know where you start (EPCOT area, yes, but where and what time do you need to arrive before the race?) I also don't know when to arrive at Disney. Is Saturday arrival too much? Where should I stay? (thinking about Contemporary or Boardwalk...) Any ideas?? You can tell I'm new at this! I'd love to see the itinerary from any runners' prior trips!

Originally posted by Tinks
I'll be running the 1/2 marathon if training goes well. Do we get more information this fall? I have never run it and don't know where you start (EPCOT area, yes, but where and what time do you need to arrive before the race?) I also don't know when to arrive at Disney. Is Saturday arrival too much? Where should I stay? (thinking about Contemporary or Boardwalk...) Any ideas?? You can tell I'm new at this! I'd love to see the itinerary from any runners' prior trips!

In the fall, probably November, you'll receive your official race packet from Disney that'll have your race number and your packet up information. Prior to the actual Half/Full Marathon on Sunday, there will be the Family Fun Run 5K on Saturday morning. In your packet will be more info, a release form and you'll need to bring that to the Expo which I believe this year will again be at the Wide World of Sports, (last year it was at the Coronado Springs Resort). You have to go and pickup your "chip" at the expo and do your checkin. The Expo also has lots of vendors, some exhibits and they'll be some speakers. I think you might find that arriving on Saturday would be too overwhelming.
On Saturday you're most likely going to want to be taking it rather easy.. drinking lots of liquids, and getting to bed early; you're going to be getting up at 3 am. Yup; the bus for comes for the runners/walkers comes to the Disney resorts at 4 am.
But you won't be standing out there alone with your eyes drooping; no, you'll be too excited. They'll be a bunch of others; some looking like they do nothing but spend every waking moment doing muscle building activities and other looking like they wished they'd never signed up do to do this crazy thing. But on the bus people are beginning to exchange names and hometowns and next thing you know the bus is pulling into Epcot's parking lot that looks so different in the darkness. And there's so many people...and there's no turning back!
As to where to stay...it's your choice..both are great. The half ends near the parking lot of the Magic Kingdom; the Contemporary would be closest if you just want to get back and collapse. BUT.. they'll be Disney buses to take you back to any of the Disney resorts. And when you cross that finish line and they put that medal around your neck and wrap that mylar "Disney Marathon" sheet around you and snap your photo you are going to feel so proud that you did it that you'll forget how tired you are.
If you stay at the Boardwalk you can take the bus back; and since the full marathon still has to go thru Animal Kingdom and MGM, then over the Boardwalk and back to Epcot you can cheer alot of them on.
You should be getting periodic emails from Disney with links to their marathon site for tips.

Thanks so much for the info. I will probably be one of those people looking like they think they made a huge mistake!! Too late! It sounds as if you have run it before and you clearly survived so I should be okay too!

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter