• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DISigners using GIMP?

cpierce2003

Earning My Ears
Any DISigners out there using GIMP who can give me a few pointers? I've started teaching myself how to do name fills. I wanted to get a small collection before introducing to the forum but running into a few minor technical issues. Just looking for someone/somewhere to help problem solve...

I don't know how informative I will be, but I use GIMP.
I learned how to do the name fills and most of my DISigning thanks to youtube.com.
I am happy to try to help.
Dee

Hi Dee! I've figured out how to put an image inside letters and how to outline letters off of tutorials online. However, I can't seem to master doing the two together. I've been doing the pattern first and then trying to grow the outline but when I try and change the color of the larger text with the bucket it doesn't look right. It's like the pattern prevents the bucket from coloring the letters correctly. I'm suspicious I have my layers in the wrong order or something. Any suggestions?

Also... Do you have a thread somewhere? i was going to reference what I was talking about using one of your designs but can't find a photo bucket for your designs. I see where you've responded to a lot of individual requests though. Looks like you help a lot of people.

My thread is currently closed, because I don't have the time need to officially DISign. :(
I do drop in when I can though. :)
The link to my photobucket is listed in the "no longer DISigning DISigners".

Disclaimer: Name fills aren’t my strong suit. Here are the basic steps that I use.
(I didn’t put much thought/time into color or image placement for this example.)

This is what I do….

1 - Open GIMP select size (I generally go with 11 x 8.5 in)

2 - Type your text (mine is "DISNEY" 1200 font)

3 - Paste images(s) and place them where you want

4 - In the LAYERS-BRUSHES - click create a new layer (white background)

5 - in the LAYERS-BRUSHES - click on your text so it is highlighted
photo below

6 - right click your text, click alpha to select (you should have the dancing ants marching around your text)

7 - now in the LAYERS-BRUSHES - click on, to highlight, your new layer that has the white background

8 - Click EDIT - CLEAR (you should now see the image(s) you pasted earlier)

9 - with ants still dancing - click SELECT - INVERT

10- click SELECT - GROW (put in your amount I choose 30 pixels)

11 - in LAYERS-BRUSHES - click on new layers (transparent background)

12 - TOOLBOX - bucket fill with your color
photo below

13 - LAYERS-BRUSHES right click on text (your dancing ants should be inside the recent bucket fill of color you did)

14 - LAYERS-BRUSHES click on your bucket fill to highlight layer, EDIT, CLEAR
photo below

step 5.png Step 12.png Step 14.png
Does this make sense?

Last edited:
You can add a border and crop it if you want too...

Attachments

• FInished.jpg
    FInished.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 5

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter