• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

Do you/they plan on doing the Fab50 Quest (all parks), or Batuu Bounty Hunter (DHS only)?

If yes, then installing Disney World app on and pairing their band with their phones and signing into Play Parks would be needed.. see also https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney’s-magic-band-faq-link.3875647/page-13#post-64547468

oh, also Bluetooth pairing and connecting the band to a phone allows selecting an alternate color scheme for the MB+'s LED, and the vibration intensity.

if they don't care about changing the Band's default settings, and don't plan on doing Fab50 or Batuu, you don't need to Bluetooth pair or connect to phone. Just assing in the Disney app.
Thanks!
I think it's unlikely we'd want to play the games. When I paired mine, it also told me to update the software on the band. Is there a way to do that without pairing or is it not necessary?

Thanks!
I think it's unlikely we'd want to play the games. When I paired mine, it also told me to update the software on the band. Is there a way to do that without pairing or is it not necessary?
Pairing and connecting is the only way to update. I have never seen a change log or way to check the firmware/software version of the band. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think when the MB+ bands came out, the initial firmware updates helped with battery life, and charging issues. I don't know that there has been other updates since then. At least I never got prompted to update my MB+ bands from last summer. Only new bands I've purchased since then.

It won't hurt to pair them all to your phone and update them, the. Delete the pairing. The last 4 digits of the ID code on the back of the band is used in the Bluetooth device list on your phone.

If you mean bands with "Passholder" or "DVC" printed/marked on them... for example:

Passholder marked bands at -> https://www.magicbandcollectors.com/checklist/?search=passholder&viewOption=all and DVC marked bands at https://www.magicbandcollectors.com/checklist/?search=DVC&viewOption=all

While they were available in parks and I saw some on Shop Disney, I don't remember seeing the in the MDE Pre-Arrival band selection.

There are a couple of the Passholder marked bands available on Shop Disney now.
Thank you

I have read that you can use the older ones. We have some of these, but I am worried there might be issues with these. I know you can't get ride pictures, but has anyone experienced other problems with these?

I have read that you can use the older ones. We have some of these, but I am worried there might be issues with these. I know you can't get ride pictures, but has anyone experienced other problems with these?
The older MBs will work indefinitely for Mickey to Mickey touch functions like tapping into parks, opening resort room doors, and charging purchases. It’s only the long distance functions like linking ride photos that are lost with age.

Yes. They stopped making them around the time they introduced the MB+. Very few available online or in person. Stock is not being replenished.
Do you know when they're likely to sell out? I have a trip planned in April 2024 and want to buy the plain Magic Bands at the discounted price of $9.99. Should I make my selections now/soon or will I be ok to wait a few more months? I wanted to see if any additional colors would become available but I guess not if they're not being replenished. I currently see 4 colors listed on the MDE website.

Do you know when they're likely to sell out? I have a trip planned in April 2024 and want to buy the plain Magic Bands at the discounted price of $9.99. Should I make my selections now/soon or will I be ok to wait a few more months? I wanted to see if any additional colors would become available but I guess not if they're not being replenished. I currently see 4 colors listed on the MDE website.
I would be surprised if there are other color options offered in the future, but I guess you never know.

It's much more likely that the 4 that are offered now will disappear before your trip, so if you know you want them, I would not wait.

I agree with @subtchr, I personally would not hold out hoping others are added if you see something you like now. More could be added but a more likely scenario is that what they’re currently offering will sell out and will not be replaced.

I would be surprised if there are other color options offered in the future, but I guess you never know.

It's much more likely that the 4 that are offered now will disappear before your trip, so if you know you want them, I would not wait.
I agree with @subtchr, I personally would not hold out hoping others are added if you see something you like now. More could be added but a more likely scenario is that what they’re currently offering will sell out and will not be replaced.

Thank you both! I placed an order for the regular MagicBands!

My dh and ds only have mb2 and we’re AP. Photos are our only issue. But ones like Buzz at MK where you tap the Mickey, then we get those kind of photos.

My dh and ds only have mb2 and we’re AP. Photos are our only issue. But ones like Buzz at MK where you tap the Mickey, then we get those kind of photos.
You can use Bluetooth on a phone to get the photos from all rides.

Check that Bluetooth is enabled in the settings for the MDE app (not just on your phone in general). Make sure you are signed in, and do not put the phone in low power mode.

Pairing and connecting is the only way to update. I have never seen a change log or way to check the firmware/software version of the band. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think when the MB+ bands came out, the initial firmware updates helped with battery life, and charging issues. I don't know that there has been other updates since then. At least I never got prompted to update my MB+ bands from last summer. Only new bands I've purchased since then.

It won't hurt to pair them all to your phone and update them, the. Delete the pairing. The last 4 digits of the ID code on the back of the band is used in the Bluetooth device list on your phone.
I just received our MB+ and paired all 3 to my phone (the other 2 are my teens). You say to delete the other people's. Is there a specific reason why? TIA

I just received our MB+ and paired all 3 to my phone (the other 2 are my teens). You say to delete the other people's. Is there a specific reason why? TIA
You don't need to delete them, they'll just remain listed in the paired devices list on your phone.

With our cars, my Bluetooth headphones, Bluetooth speakers, Fitbit, I have enough in my Paired Bluetooth devices list On my phone. I delete the bands that I'm not using that trip.

I wasn't sure if they were already linked or not. I had to pick out a band for each person and they came with the names next to each band. So i was wondering if they were already linked or not.

I wasn't sure if they were already linked or not. I had to pick out a band for each person and they came with the names next to each band. So i was wondering if they were already linked or not.
When ordering bands through MDE they are linked.

Pre-arrival bands (selected and purchased via My Disney Experience as part of resort stay or annual pass) do come linked to My Disney Experience and assigned to the particular person. They are ready for use to Tap and such (room door, park entry, etc).

However, for MagicBand+ to update the firmware or change settings (LED color scheme, vibration intensity, etc), the band must be paired with your phone via bluetooth and connected to your Phone. There is a process in the Disney app.

For the Fab50 Quest and Batuu Bounty, you have to pair and connect the band to the phone via Bluetooth, and ALSO there is a Play Disney Parks app that also must be installed and open with the activity selected and running to earn the achievements.

Last edited:
Pre-arrival bands (selected and purchased via My Disney Experience as part of resort stay or annual pass) do come linked to My Disney Experience and assigned to the particular person. They are ready for use to Tap and such (room door, park entry, etc).

However, for MagicBand+ to update the firmware or change settings (LED color scheme, vibration intensity, etc), the band must be paired with your phone via bluetooth and connected to your Phone. There is a process in the Disney app.

For the Fab50 Quest and Batuu Bounty, you have to pair and connect the band to the phone via Bluetooth, and ALSO there is a Play Disney Parks app that also must be installed and open with the activity selected and running to earn the achievements.
Thanks for this info! I haven't purchased a MB+ so wasn't aware of any of this. Very helpful - thank you!

I have new MB - -the older style, not MB+. Will these work for the rides?

I see it mentioned that old MB don't work for the ride photos. Is this referring to the style, or the age of the MB?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter