Disney’s MARVELous Super Hero - New You - New Year Celebration – January 2017!!

Sorry I missed introductions yesterday! I'll make it quick. Hi! I'm Paige. I'm 24 and live in KC,MO with my cat child Nancy. I have been on this journey for a while now (about 18 months). Last May I got down to 58 pounds lost but then went through a divorce and the weight slowly crept up. I gained about 20 pounds back and ended the year the same weight as I started it (so could be much worse).

This month's goal: lose 4 pounds

Plan: Increased my calorie intake so that I don't feel like I'm constantly starving and like I have to super restrict, following a gym plan, and being easier on myself.

Villains: always me :) drinking and making poor choices while drinking. Letting the weekend get the best of me.

As for habits, the best habit I've created is going straight to the gym after work. Pack a gym bag and bring it with me. That keeps me from becoming one with the couch right after I get home

QOTD: For those who are further along in their journey what did you do that worked that helped you form those new habits? Did you have a reminder and reward?
For those of us who are struggling or new to making changes – what do you think you can do to help forming these habits? Do you have reminders and rewards built into your plan for your goal this month?

well, I feel like I've been doing this my whole life, but that's because I'm really not very good at it! If I have any reminders, I guess it's that I'm always thinking about having to track whatever it is I'm about ti eat. That works some of the time for me, but not always.

I do think that I need to set up more rewards for myself. I tend to be one who doesn't buy much for myself or splurge m uch on myself even though we can afford it more than we used to be able to. I only get pedicures when we are going on vacation even though I LOVE them, so maybe I'll set that up within my rewards next month (since I'll be getting one this month for vacation). So, I'm saying it now - if I meet my February goal, I'm going to get myself a pedicure! I'm excited already!

QOTD: For those who are further along in their journey what did you do that worked that helped you form those new habits? Did you have a reminder and reward?

With my weight loss journey, I set a SMART goal -- those that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-based. I sat back to look at the bigger picture of what I wanted to achieve then worked from there to reach the initial goal about 18 months after I started. From there, I made a SMART fitness goal and through 2016 worked to achieve that, and am doing it again in 2017.

I'm a goal-focused person and do best when there's a plan in place. So following a simple procedure of logging food, doing a specific exercise and sticking to routine does wonders. Now I'm going to have to put travel into it this year and oh boy... talk about a struggle.

This year's goals are health based: stick to a workout schedule to achieve that 2:44 half marathon then transition to completing my first marathon. If training stays the course I should be able to reach both goals. And the reward is the happiness knowing I got there with the medal. The weight maintenance will come as part of the work outs, as it's all part of the program: eat food and log, exercise and log, eat according to calories remaining.

For those of us who are struggling or new to making changes – what do you think you can do to help forming these habits? Do you have reminders and rewards built into your plan for your goal this month?

Making lasting changes is the very heart of my struggle. I'm spending a lot of time focusing on the long term benefits of short term deprivation. I know intellectually that the five seconds of pleasure that I get from a piece of candy or a handful of potato chips is never going to be something that I remember for years. The pleasure of seeing a healthy weight flashing on the scale, zipping up a beloved skirt, or earning my first race medal is going to stay with me far longer.

I do have alerts set up for both the Fitbit and MyFitnessPal apps on my phone. And there is a bright pink post-it on the fridge asking if I'm really hungry. I don't really have a rewards plan in place other than new clothes as I shrink and those aren't so much rewards as necessities. I was going to put a blanket ban on shopping until I am in a smaller size but then I ripped one of the few remaining pairs of work pants that currently fit me so I reversed course on that plan.

I think the biggest reward will be the extra energy that comes with being smaller, more fit, and fueled with healthy foods.

Winding down on day 2! I'm still off work this week and starting to really get into the swing of this no demands on the schedule way of life. :)

I'm going to prepare for the return to chaos by making a few batches of soup this week and other things to keep in the freezer as well as making sure we are well stocked on healthy foods. I'm also planning on planning to get lunches and snacks for the work week packed up on Sunday afternoon.

The last reminder I have is my bullet journal. If you've never heard of this, do yourself a favor and look it up! (http://bulletjournal.com/ is a good place to start!) I'm terrible, terrible at planners, but this journal has been the only thing I've stuck with for a long period of time. If I do go for a week or so without using it (like I did last October when I went to Disney--that trip threw me off so much, it was two and a half weeks before I used it regularly again) then I can just start on the next page, and write myself a little note about what happened. It's my reflection diary, planner, to-do list, and goal tracker all at once. So just using that is a great reminder of what I need to do. :)

Thank you for the bullet journal recommendation. I just did a quick read through and it sounds really interesting! I'm good at keeping my calendar and to-do list managed but I've been struggling with the journaling and goal tracking side of things. May give this a whirl!

1. Reminder
I don't need one. I gained 2 pounds last month. If I gain 2 pounds every month this year, 24 by Next January. Multiply X 12 years. I don't want to have to imagine what the 50 year old me would look like with 288 lbs on top of my current weight. I don't even want to imagine gaining quarter of that. I don't even want to gain 2 each year.

2. Routine
My minimums are 2 weight lifting sessions weekly, at least 10 000 steps daily, tracking everything even if I go over. These are commitments I made to myself, like brushing my teeth. Last year, for the year my average was 15391 steps daily. I also swim, yoga and currently aim to lift 5 days weekly. But my minims are not negotiable, I do them even if I don't feel like it, unless I am really sick.

3. Reward
Does feeling good about myself count? You can't at all compare how I feel about myself right now, compared to 30 lbs ago. I feel rewarded.

I listened to this podcast on the treadmill today. Well worth a listen
http://www.halfsizeme.com/hsm256/

Sticking to my goals last two days, food under 1800calories, 15000 steps both days and workout today. Tomorrow is my last day off, back to work Wednesday but I feel ready for it!

I like the simple math. It is sobering and a good kick to the had about the reasons for staying on track.

With my weight loss journey, I set a SMART goal -- those that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-based. I sat back to look at the bigger picture of what I wanted to achieve then worked from there to reach the initial goal about 18 months after I started. From there, I made a SMART fitness goal and through 2016 worked to achieve that, and am doing it again in 2017.

I'm a goal-focused person and do best when there's a plan in place. So following a simple procedure of logging food, doing a specific exercise and sticking to routine does wonders. Now I'm going to have to put travel into it this year and oh boy... talk about a struggle.

This year's goals are health based: stick to a workout schedule to achieve that 2:44 half marathon then transition to completing my first marathon. If training stays the course I should be able to reach both goals. And the reward is the happiness knowing I got there with the medal. The weight maintenance will come as part of the work outs, as it's all part of the program: eat food and log, exercise and log, eat according to calories remaining.

I think you are going to continue to shine in 2017, travel be darned!

I know I can learn from your example. Step one - make plan. Step two - follow plan.

So I was reading online earlier today and found out that it isn't an average of 21 days or 30 days to build a sustainable habit ... but an average of 66 days. If we started on our goals on January first, that means that habits wouldn't stick until March 7th. Whether or not this is true for everyone is up for debate; think about how far you've come on your journey and where you're at presently. Think about where you could be in 62 days if you kept up the momentum built in the last 2-3 days.

Just a thought I wanted to share as I was thinking about my journey and progress thus far. My training schedule is very rigid - I cannot miss a day or it'll set back my progress. I'm so far 2 for 2 on crossing items off my calendar, while my husband sits in front of his gaming system. He's at least starting to log his food and wear his fitbit, so I'll take the small victories where I see them.

A difficult thing for me will be to accept that I am in this training program alone.

A difficult thing for me will be to accept that I am in this training program alone.

You are not totally alone!! We are here to cheer you on! But I understand that it takes even that bit more of determination to go out for a run when your partner is sitting at home looking so comfy on the couch! Maybe that's where the traveling might actually come in useful? My brother in law has to travel frequently and that actually helped him to get healthier as it is a bit boring sitting in your hotel room in the evening. So going to the hotel gym is a nice distraction.

I actually got my walk time in for January 2 but took a while to update here with getting a put off bed time as long as possible child to bed (I actually started my walk thinking she had gone to bed. Funny that I thought her signing go bed and going to her room and shutting the door met I am going to bed now mom and told her good night. Thankfully my 11 year old was willing to help make her sister's bed-we only put on the bottom sheet and expect 9 year old to do the rest. She wants to unmake her bed almost every day fine but she can put her blankets, pillows, and friends on to sleep at night-love logical consequences, then the I need my face washed ( she honestly did), put blankets on my bed ( nope sorry kid you know the rules-if I take and wash them that is different then I put them on for her) I want to say my prayers tonight, I need to fill my water bottle. I finally said mom has told you good night and you can fill your bottle in the bathroom sink because I knew the next tactic was going to be either I need a story or two or three or I want to do a spelling lesson) and then I went and sorted a basket of laundry into everyone's piles and folded the ones that go in a little girls room in the drawers so they can be put away tomorrow before coming to update.
I really didn't start going how much longer until minute 5 and by minute 8 it was ok I am almost done just 2 minutes I can do this. I know though that if I had started out with a more recommended 20 minutes I would have given up after the first day and just changed my alerts and dropped off to be found occasionally posting elsewhere on the boards. I have learned for me that I need to start slowly like an inch worm up the marigold stem.

I have learned for me that I need to start slowly like an inch worm up the marigold stem.

I had to laugh at this!! But good for you to know how you have to deal with things in order to get them done. And once you are fine with the 10 minutes, just add on slowly! Less, but more consistency is better than more and giving up!

So glad I found this thread! Thanks for inviting me :)

I'm Nikki and I'm twenty-six. I love Disney Princesses, schnauzers, horror movies, long walks on the beach...

Wait. This isn't a dating thread! Oops
;)

I posted already on the W.I.S.H thread but I'll post it again here:

I'm taking the initiative and am taking the W.I.S.H challenge!

I have been quite overweight most of my life, and while I have a positive outlook on life and have a lot of fun, there is a burning desire deep within me that badly wants to shed the weight and get healthy. In the past I have tried diets here and there but nothing that has stuck or has shown any progress. It has been a battle and a struggle for me my whole life. I am now in my mid-twenties and while my mood is normally bouncy and energetic, my body sure isn't! Often times I get aches and pains, as well as bouts of fatigue. I have foot problems and I generally feel like crap after I eat. :( So while fast food is super tasty, it's taking a toll on my health and body.

I have booked a cruise for September 17th of this year and I would LOVE to shed the weight and feel better. No more making excuses, just healthier choices. I'm starting slow, by giving up soda and junk food, and eating more vegetables and drinking more water. I'm learning and making up a lot of things as I go, but I'm gonna do this!! Some how, some way, lol. In the name of Disney... haha.

My Goal: Well, my big goal is to lose 150 lbs. That's the dream. I haven't weighed myself in a while but I'm almost positive that I'm around 320. So to get rid of half of that would be amazing. This Christmas I asked Santa to take all my weight away, but when I woke up Christmas morning it was still here... And I doubt Good Will would take such a charitable donation ;) so I'm stuck with it until I take it off. My short-term goal is to get to 250 lbs. And to eat healthier and make better choices. To cook more and work on my relationship with food. And for God's sake to stay away from soda and Taco Bell! But honestly, my main goals are to get healthier, feel better, and to look great for my cruise.

Plan: I'm giving up fast food and soda, and am opting for better choices, such as vegetables and fruit. Upping my water intake and I am going to attempt food prepping. I have already gone shopping and I am ready to roll. I definitely think planning out my meals will help because I'll be able to spend one day a week cooking and that's it: I can grab and go and that would really simplify a lot of things for me. Another good thing is that I will be saving money- my grocery bill this week for seven days, breakfast lunch and dinner was less than $45 which works for me (As a college student I am oh so broke).

Villains: I work at a gas station so be surrounded by junk food and soda... I'm worried I will fail, but it's normal to be scared of that, right? Accountability is terrifying. I worry I will get cranky and alienate people around me... that or end up selling my first born child for a 12 pack of Dr Pepper, lmao. I also have the worst habit of eating when I'm not hungry, so I will definitely have to battle that.

Goal for this month: Food prep for the entire month! Be consistent with my meal planning and stick to my meal plan.

I'm also on snapchat if anyone wants to add me @themermaidnikki

Hi all I'm in :) I'm Carmel 32 from outback South Australia

The big goal for the year is to fit into my wedding dress with out any alterations required before my October wedding.

Goal for the month: complete the monthly squat and plank challenges as seen on Facebook

The eating plan: I've always eaten healthy but my goal is to cut down on portion sizes.

The activity plan: I'm going to pin the challenges to my fridge so I see them everyday and to check in here so I'm accountable.

The villains: Work- I do 10.5hr shifts Monday to Friday and have 1hr commute so the last thing I want to do when I get home is work out.

Plan for fighting off the villains:
1. Make my fiancé kick my butt each day so I do the challenge for that day
2. There is a possibility of a job change soon so that will free up a lot of time. Fingers crossed.

Can't wait to see everyone meet their goals.

:-):thumbsup2:D
I keep my walking shoes by my chair and I currently have a pair of socks right with them.

This is a great reminder/trigger to start the activity :D

Weight loss enough to need a lot of the wardrobe replaced.

It is nice to dream of all the new clothes ... but I hear you about budget and the difficulty with managing this along the way.

I do not mean to gloat, but share my happiness about acchieving what I had planned to do.

Being proud of yourself and happy with what you achieved is never gloating... I love to hear everyone's success moments big or small ... I also love to come on here and share with my friends as I know I am sharing with a great bunch of people who just get it and understand what that success means for us. :D

Honestly, my best reminder AND reward is my Fitbit. I'm super competitive so those workweek hustle challenges are a dream come true for me--the notifications tell me who I need to beat and the reward is any time I meet my goal or win a challenge! Part of the reason I became a runner is because I wanted to prove that I could. Every time I win one of those challenges, I'm doing exactly that!

Glad you have a great tool that is useful and yes a competitive nature can be a great motivator so yeah for winning those challenges :D

The last reminder I have is my bullet journal. If you've never heard of this, do yourself a favor and look it up!

I am going to look that up when I finish here - I love all the little tips we learn from each other on here :D

I don't need one. I gained 2 pounds last month. If I gain 2 pounds every month this year, 24 by Next January. Multiply X 12 years. I don't want to have to imagine what the 50 year old me would look like with 288 lbs on top of my current weight. I don't even want to imagine gaining quarter of that. I don't even want to gain 2 each year.

I love it - and you know what? I feel like that is exactly how I got here in a way ... it crept on little by little each year until I finally looked and was :scared1:

Sticking to my goals last two days, food under 1800calories, 15000 steps both days and workout today. Tomorrow is my last day off, back to work Wednesday but I feel ready for it!

Well done for being on plan .... hope your first day of work goes great ... well as great as first days back can go :D

I am feeling very happy with myself now (reward for doing something towards a good habit!! :thumbsup2)! One thing I struggle with is that I usually have an early lunch at work (with colleagues and somehow my workplace keeps to an early lunch hour and you just have to either roll with it or eat alone and I do love my lunches with my colleagues/friends). And then I usually get so hungry by the time I get home that I eat whatever. So, I need to bring a healthy afternoon snack. I used to bring apples until I figured out that they have too much sugar and just make me crash even worse later on. I need protein. So a few months ago, I had the idea of bringing hard boiled eggs. So, I got some eggs and boiled a bunch of them and also measured some cheese and prepared some carrots and my snack is already packed in a container in the fridge to just be thrown in my bag tomorrow morning! Need to keep this up this week!

I know this has been a struggle for you for a while now, so I am happy to hear you seem to be finding solutions :D

when I am down 15 pounds I am going to get a new hair cut/style that I've been wanting

Well I definitely want to see a pic of the new hairstyle when you get it :D

As for habits, the best habit I've created is going straight to the gym after work. Pack a gym bag and bring it with me. That keeps me from becoming one with the couch right after I get home

This is a great habit to make - as yes once home that couch calls my name also. :D

So, I'm saying it now - if I meet my February goal, I'm going to get myself a pedicure! I'm excited already!

Woohoo bring on that Pedicure! I get what you mean I also really never buy myself anything and make sure the kids have everything they need. But over the past few weeks I have bought myself little things here and there when I wanted them and it was a nice treat :D

With my weight loss journey, I set a SMART goal -- those that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-based. I

We use these at work for our personal professional development plans .... I am not good at writing them ... it always takes me so long to work it all out! I am super jealous you can get the to work for you so well :D

And there is a bright pink post-it on the fridge asking if I'm really hungry.

I like this :thumbsup2

So I was reading online earlier today and found out that it isn't an average of 21 days or 30 days to build a sustainable habit ... but an average of 66 days. If we started on our goals on January first, that means that habits wouldn't stick until March 7th. Whether or not this is true for everyone is up for debate; think about how far you've come on your journey and where you're at presently. Think about where you could be in 62 days if you kept up the momentum built in the last 2-3 days.

I am so glad you found this ... it makes me feel better about falling off the wagon right around that 3 week mark all the time! Ok .. so I need to push through that and just plan, plan and plan for longer.

:hug: I understand that feeling ... as well its just me and the kids so most things I do, I do alone ... sometimes that's ok but sometimes it sux. But I agree with @Flossbolna we are here for you :-)

I really didn't start going how much longer until minute 5 and by minute 8 it was ok I am almost done just 2 minutes I can do this. I know though that if I had started out with a more recommended 20 minutes I would have given up after the first day and just changed my alerts and dropped off to be found occasionally posting elsewhere on the boards. I have learned for me that I need to start slowly like an inch worm up the marigold stem

It is really important to know your limitations and start from a place of positivity with a plan you CAN achieve and add from there ... so it is great that you know yourself so well and can plan for your success!

I'm Nikki and I'm twenty-six. I love Disney Princesses, schnauzers, horror movies, long walks on the beach...

Wait. This isn't a dating thread! Oops

:welcome: so glad you found us ... nice to meet you ... you seem to have a great sense of humour :D

I'm worried I will fail, but it's normal to be scared of that, right? Accountability is terrifying. I worry I will get cranky and alienate people around me... that or end up selling my first born child for a 12 pack of Dr Pepper, lmao. I also have the worst habit of eating when I'm not hungry, so I will definitely have to battle that.

Goal for this month: Food prep for the entire month! Be consistent with my meal planning and stick to my meal plan.

Yes completely normal to feel scared of failure ... if it was super easy we wouldn't be where we are. Accountability doesn't have to be terrifying - we will support you even if you struggle a little along the way. Believe me I have had months on here where I felt really bad as I fumbled along not doing so well and all I got was positivity and support :D

Hi all I'm in :) I'm Carmel 32 from outback South Australia

The big goal for the year is to fit into my wedding dress with out any alterations required before my October wedding.

Goal for the month: complete the monthly squat and plank challenges as seen on Facebook

The eating plan: I've always eaten healthy but my goal is to cut down on portion sizes.

The activity plan: I'm going to pin the challenges to my fridge so I see them everyday and to check in here so I'm accountable.

The villains: Work- I do 10.5hr shifts Monday to Friday and have 1hr commute so the last thing I want to do when I get home is work out.

Plan for fighting off the villains:
1. Make my fiancé kick my butt each day so I do the challenge for that day
2. There is a possibility of a job change soon so that will free up a lot of time. Fingers crossed.

Can't wait to see everyone meet their goals.

:welcome: to the gang Carmel ... another Aussie woohoo!!! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.... good luck on the job change sending pixiedust:

Good morning/evening my Super Hero friends :-) So many of you are off to a great start :thumbsup2

As we have just celebrated the Holidays which can be a stressful time for so many reasons, I thought we would chat about the effect of stress on our health and weight. Of course we have daily life stresses as well as those more extreme moments. We all know what happens when Bruce Banner doesn’t handle stress well…. He turns into The Hulk. He also has a cousin Jennifer Walters who transforms into the She-Hulk. She apparently has more control over her emotions/transformations than The Hulk after undergoing blood disease treatment.

untitled (18).png

She-Hulk_Vol_3_1_Stegman_Variant_Textless.jpg

Now, we all know a certain amount of stress can be good for us and can actually help us get things done. When there is too much or it is prolonged it begins to affect our health increasing risk of anxiety, depression, digestive problems, headaches, heart disease, sleep problems, weight gain, memory and concentration impairment.

Lots of research has gone into coping with stress and strategies include: healthy eating and exercise (ding ding ding!!!), relaxation – massage, yoga, deep breathing, meditation, mindfulness, friendships, talking, hobbies, being able to see the funny side of things, helping others, and of course seeking professional help when we need it.

QOTD: Are you good at handling stress and using it to your advantage or do you turn into The Hulk or She Hulk? What coping strategies do you use or would like to try and use in 2017?

OK I read up on the bullet journal ... I am intrigued - I know it says you do personal and work in the one but I think I am going to a try a work one - as we have confidentiality rules I would need to consider. I am really trying to overhaul the way I work this year ... so am going to give this a try to see if it helps - I currently use to-do lists when I get overwhelmed - this may be a good way for me to operate this year.

Hey all! Good morning and happy 2017! I was going to catch up on the QOTD that I missed, but I just looked at the clock and realize that I have 15 minutes to get out the door. I'm driving with DD to an appointment this morning and when she is done we will grab some groceries. Then it is home to get ready for what I hope is a HUGE Weight Watchers meeting tonight! Fingers crossed! I'll have time to catch up on the chatter tomorrow, but I definitely wanted to come on and say that I'm here and to save myself a seat!...........P

Stress. Deep yoga breathing during incidences, prevention (dealing with things--not procrastinating until the last minute) maintenance. Means exercising, incorporating yoga into my exercise routine, meditation. Just keeping the level under control is essential. We all have stress but knowing how it affects you and not letting it get out of control is the key for me. This is essential for me or I will eventually end up drinking again. Of course it is sneaky and overeating happens instead of the drinking ;-).

Are you doing anything besides running when you work out? I ask cuz you're kicking butt when it comes to running!! And I'm really wanting to work on both increasing my speed and endurance.

OK I read up on the bullet journal ... I am intrigued - I know it says you do personal and work in the one but I think I am going to a try a work one - as we have confidentiality rules I would need to consider. I am really trying to overhaul the way I work this year ... so am going to give this a try to see if it helps - I currently use to-do lists when I get overwhelmed - this may be a good way for me to operate this year.

I've done this in the past! My struggle with it is that it's not portable and I found myself wanting to write in it during random times and then forgetting about it or whatever when I was actually around it. That said, I found it easiest to be consistent when using it as a to-do list but then also making it pretty and organized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter