• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney+ ad supported tier

Confused about how a "premium" tier would still involve ads. Is there a premium premium tier?

Peacock has three ways to watch: Free, Premium ($4.99), and Premium Plus ($9.99). Free has a lot of ads and does not allow access to everything - think streaming on the NBC website with comercial breaks. Premium allows access to everything including Peacock Originals, but there are some ads - not as many. Premium Plus has no ads.

And yeah, the naming isn't confusing at all! 🤣

Peacock has three ways to watch: Free, Premium ($4.99), and Premium Plus ($9.99). Free has a lot of ads and does not allow access to everything - think streaming on the NBC website with comercial breaks. Premium allows access to everything including Peacock Originals, but there are some ads - not as many. Premium Plus has no ads.

And yeah, the naming isn't confusing at all! 🤣
Thanks Brian!

The reason why I have streaming services is to avoid ads. They take up so much time. A typical show is 42 minutes without ads. No desire to watch 18 minutes of ads per show.

Last edited:
Probably depend on the show or movie. I think the most likely would be normal commercial breaks so an ad at the start and then a couple times during a half hour show. Movies maybe having an ad break every 15 minutes or so, but could just do longer ads at the start and not interrupt. I just think ads spread throughout are more likely as I think it gives people more incentive to pay for the higher subscription. Hulu will periodically have where you can watch a 3 minute ad at the start of a show and no interruptions and I don't mind it at all, but it gets annoying having a 60-90 second break every 7 minutes.

In the world of streaming services Disney+ has given subscribers their wishes such as making the new movies free with no charge. With Disney+ having commercial breaks on a tier it just won't make sense because when you have children who are watching Disney cartoons for a few minutes then suddenly five commercials will come on and you'll have your kids saying "Mommy when will the cartoon be back on" and you have to constantly have to fast forward through the commercials just so your kids can see a Disney cartoon but I don't think a Disney+ commercial tier is gonna work. Take for example when I do Youtube I sometimes sit through four commercials before seeing an actual video but as I mentioned earlier Disney+ will lose subscribers if they do this. Because Disney+ was supposed to be commercial free but this tier will fail. If other streaming services can do commercial free shows why can't Disney+?

In the world of streaming services Disney+ has given subscribers their wishes such as making the new movies free with no charge. With Disney+ having commercial breaks on a tier it just won't make sense because when you have children who are watching Disney cartoons for a few minutes then suddenly five commercials will come on and you'll have your kids saying "Mommy when will the cartoon be back on" and you have to constantly have to fast forward through the commercials just so your kids can see a Disney cartoon but I don't think a Disney+ commercial tier is gonna work. Take for example when I do Youtube I sometimes sit through four commercials before seeing an actual video but as I mentioned earlier Disney+ will lose subscribers if they do this. Because Disney+ was supposed to be commercial free but this tier will fail. If other streaming services can do commercial free shows why can't Disney+?
They will still have commercial free option, they'll just be adding a cheaper subscription price point that has commercials included. This is the same as about every other streaming service. HBO Max just introduced this a couple months ago while others had commercial and commercial free options from the start. Netflix and Amazon (aside from a skippable ad at the start of shows) are the only services that don't have an ad supported tier. Also you will likely not be able to fast forward through the commercials. This is a way for them to actually bring in more people if done right as those that don't care about ads but might not want to pay the full price for the subscription might be willing to pay less to get access with the caveat of having to sit through ads. However, if they just make the current tier ad supported and make it an additional fee on top of what subscribers currently pay to get ad free then they will likely face some backlash and lose subscribers.

I am fine with it as long as the ad supported tier is cheaper that the current price and they don't make the current plans ad-supported with the no-ads version more expensive. Actually, forget I said that. Disney, don't read this!

Disney has raising prices down to a science.

They know they can raise prices, make people made, raise them again, and have those same people come back for more. I'm guessing the definition of Disney magic has changed over the years.

But it was the subscribers choice to have ads on the show so how will they lose subscribers. Its no different than Hulu with ads and Hulu without ads. I pay $5 extra so I don't have to watch ads. All Disney is doing is giving people another option to watch their service.

I'm hoping it's more the HBO route and they ad a cheaper tier that is ad supported and not adding commercials to the current plan and make a more expensive plan to go ad free. That is when they will be more likely to lose subscribers, versus gain more with a new cheaper option.
We're talking Chapek, here. All bets are off with this nut.

We're talking Chapek, here. All bets are off with this nut.
Yea I honestly wouldn't be surprised either way. But it would be smarter for them in my opinion to do a lower price tier, get more people to sign up, then raise prices gradually. Would probably make more money in the long run that way.

I'm hoping it's more the HBO route and they ad a cheaper tier that is ad supported and not adding commercials to the current plan and make a more expensive plan to go ad free. That is when they will be more likely to lose subscribers, versus gain more with a new cheaper option.
The whole reason behind adding the ad supported tier was the new subscriptions have lagged behind the projections. They are adding the tier to capture people who have not jumped at the current pricing but might be willing to pay less. I don't see them going your way because it wouldn't achieve the outcome they are looking for. The difference in pricing on Hulu between the ad tier and no ads one is $5. I could see them raising the current tier to $9.99 and then making the ad supported tier $4.99.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter