Disney Adults Article

Thanks for sharing this article! It’s always quite interesting how judgmental people are for others‘ choices, traits, and interests that have absolutely no impact on them.

Of course, Disney is a corporation led by executives at many levels, marching to a mission of maximizing profits. But Disney is also comprised of storytellers and everyday people whose work is just as meaningful on an individual level as the broader mission. Whether it’s a cast member who took an extra 2 minutes to make a special interaction, a chef putting the final touches to make a beautiful dish, an animator who gets inspiration in the middle of the night and shares an idea on how to move the fabric on a few frames when the character turns to steal a glance. I’m making this stuff up, but the love of the craft is not just about whether you’re a fan of the corporation.

Thought this was a very interesting read:
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...-twitter-hate-disney-adults-not-bad-rcna32851

Definitely don't think it was cool to not feed wedding guests! But it was nice to have a non-judgmental take on us Disney Adults!
I also recently came across this article which talked about all the things Disney adults can do when they aren't with children: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/what-disney-adults-do-at-walt-disney-world-153905947.html

This whole conversation brings up the fact that especially in the 80s and 90s when EPCOT opened, when Pleasure Island was at its peak, when Victoria & Alberts opened -- there were definitely activities and places to go designed for adults only. Heck, you used to be able to hire babysitters to watch your kids in your room while you went out to do these activities. Only difference with Disney adults is they're doing these activities without having to worry about leaving children behind.

I'm DEFINITELY judging those two for picking a character meet over feeding their wedding guests and I AM a "Disney adult". That's incredibly selfish and rude to their guests and was more a problem with their character than anything to do with a love of Disney.

I'm DEFINITELY judging those two for picking a character meet over feeding their wedding guests and I AM a "Disney adult". That's incredibly selfish and rude to their guests and was more a problem with their character than anything to do with a love of Disney.
Agreed 100%. I wouldn't even bother going to a wedding where the bride and groom did a 30 minute character meet and greet over feeding their guests. It's not only entitled, but IMO a waste of time for guests especially if they had to travel far and spent a lot of money to get to the wedding. This is coming from a childfree Disney adult.

I did think it was interesting that in the article, the author brings up a point that a majority of Disney adults are women. I see "Disney Adult" trending on Twitter every week and usually it's because people are making fun of an adult woman's love for Disney. I remember one video where an adult woman started crying when she did a meet and greet with Goofy because her deceased dad's favorite character was Goofy. Twitter had a field day mocking this woman and Disney adults as a whole.

There isn't much that "Twitter" doesn't mock, make fun of and judge. That's the downside of posting any information in the public square.

I found that article fascinating - thanks for posting it, MaleficentMe. To me, any outrage over a strangers choices seems silly. I have zero thoughts on what a couple I don't know chooses to do with their wedding.

I called shenanigans on that whole post, and apparently it was taken down - so probably a lie. The price they said they paid for the meet and greet was WAY more than the actual cost of a character appearance. Also, according to the Disney Fairytale Weddings site, there is no way to have a wedding reception without food. They require a specific minimum amount depending on the time of year and the time of day.

Not commenting on the wedding, but just Disney adults in general. How many of the people criticizing have something like season tickets to the Boston Red Sox, go to every game, obsess about every detail going on with the organization, frequently wear fan clothing. Similar types of people with football, Nascar, etc... None of these things hurt anyone else. I don't really see being a Disney adult fan as much different, or better, or worse from other things like being a sports fan. :confused3

Not commenting on the wedding, but just Disney adults in general. How many of the people criticizing have something like season tickets to the Boston Red Sox, go to every game, obsess about every detail going on with the organization, frequently wear fan clothing. Similar types of people with football, Nascar, etc... None of these things hurt anyone else. I don't really see being a Disney adult fan as much different, or better, or worse from other things like being a sports fan. :confused3
I agree. How many people make a lifestyle out of following their favorite band to different concerts? Or putting their kid in a travel sports league, or backpacking trails (hubs has been into the idea recently, never realized what a community there is around that - have to say the vlogs are way less exciting than Disney’s, lots of walking for hours and rocks in the background! 😂), or doing CrossFit competitions or getting super into essential oils, and so on. There are lots of mini communities based on shared interests, for this article to call Disney a “religion” seems like a stretch.

I agree. I just notice that more often than not, Disney adults seem to be the favorite punching bag on there. Even other "nerdy" fandoms like anime fans pick on Disney adults.
IKR. I was talking about sports but didn't even mention some of the nerdy adult fans like furries. :teeth:

I had to laugh for a minute thinking about that. Because I remember staying at a hotel on business travel many years ago, and the elevator stopped and "furries" got on one morning when I was going down to breakfast. At the time I never heard about such a thing, so I was really baffled. I asked the front desk if there was something going on, and they mentioned the furry convention next door, and I was still mystified that people were doing that. It's funny thinking back to that now, at the time I thought there was something honestly wrong in the head with them. Since then I've come to understand that sort of fandom a little better having been around teens a lot more in recent years lol.

IKR. I was talking about sports but didn't even mention some of the nerdy adult fans like furries. :teeth:

I had to laugh for a minute thinking about that. Because I remember staying at a hotel on business travel many years ago, and the elevator stopped and "furries" got on one morning when I was going down to breakfast. At the time I never heard about such a thing, so I was really baffled. I asked the front desk if there was something going on, and they mentioned the furry convention next door, and I was still mystified that people were doing that. It's funny thinking back to that now, at the time I thought there was something honestly wrong in the head with them. Since then I've come to understand that sort of fandom a little better having been around teens a lot more in recent years lol.
I would say the furry community is alongside Disney adults in how often they get bullied/made fun of online, not just on Twitter. I've been in that fandom for perhaps over a decade and I would say maybe 80% or more of the community are either women or members of the LGBT community (ha, I'm both xD). Furries are some of the coolest people and just enjoy making art of what they love. It takes a lot of talent and commitment to make those suits as well as money. The absolute cheapest/bare minimum one you could commission would cost you $2000.

I think the article touches a bit on the idea that being a rabid sports fan is "OK," because it's seen as more masculine.
This is what I think too. Anime fans and other nerdy fandoms such as gamers and Star Wars fans are primarily made up of men and they are not ridiculed nearly as much as Disney adults are.

I agree. I just notice that more often than not, Disney adults seem to be the favorite punching bag on there. Even other "nerdy" fandoms like anime fans pick on Disney adults.
Anime fans do also pick on anime fans, so at least it's not exclusive to Disney.

I'm happy they shouted out the La Cava Experience, one of the favorite things I've ever done.

Well said. I don't do sports, myself. I'm not like a Disney fanatic I've just made some great memories growing up going to DLR and the three times I've been to WDW have been some of the best "escape reality" vacations I could ever ask for. Most of my friends are good for the occasional Disneyland trip since we live near it, a couple of them would do WDW if they could afford it. But, some of them think I'm weird for my upcoming solo trip and I don't care. My life is different from theirs and my desires are as well. We can bond on other vacations and activities but this is what is special to me. I think it may be different if I hadn't grown up when and where I did. Maybe if my junior high marching band didn't march in a parade each year at Disneyland it would be different for me. Maybe if my ex wife's uncle hadn't retired after 35 years working at Disneyland my outlook may be different. But I won't criticize them for taking vacations to go camping because I don't enjoy that activity.

We get one life, find what makes you happy and so long as it's not hurting anyone, enjoy it! It's ok to feel like a kid again too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter