**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

We were also there last night. This was our third after hours and was definitely the least crowded! We lined up around 6 at the turnstiles and were let in at 6:30. It really was not busy at all even at this time. Between 6:30 and 10, we rode:
Tea cups
SDMT (FP)
Enchanted tales with Belle (by far our longest wait)
PP (FP)
IASW
HM
BTTMR (FP)
SplashM x2 (FP both times)

And then during the event:
Pirates (boat to ourselves)
Aladdin
BTMRR X2
HM
Carousel horses
SDMT
Little Mermaid ride
Barnstormer x5 (didn't have to get off in between rides)
Dumbo
Space x2 (took the short cut)
Buzz x3

We also each had two ice creams, two popcorns and a drink. No lines at any snack cart which was quite different then our other AH experiences. I thought they had more snack carts this time too.

This was our only park experience this week as we are doing a relaxing resort trip. The two resorts we have been at have not been that busy either but crowds are increasing today it seems. We have stayed at Saratoga and AKL.

Just a wonderful experience last night!

We decided on DAH instead of EMM for our family of 3 (DD is 5) because it was longer (we did not have hoppers so it was more like a bonus 6 1/2 hrs since we were let in at 630) 2) more rides were open 3) like the atmosphere at night 4) while the breakfast for EMM is nice I didn’t want to waste those morning hours where the crowds are lower sitting down and eating. Even if you went at 945 for breakfast that is still prime ride time where waits are smaller (aside from 7DMT). We get a lot done from 9-11 on a normal day, and sitting eating for 45 min would cut into that. 5) the 3 hrs for DAH flies by, I think with only 75 min for EMM it would be fast. I also believe that 745 is when you are let in the front gates, so part of that time you are paying for is spent walking to fantasyland...

I would like to ask for opinions on something. We are planning to go Aug 3-10. It will be Me, my husband, 11 year old son and 8 year old daughter. This is our 3rd time to WDW. We are trying to decide between doing the Villians DAH at MK on Aug 8 or EMM at MK on Aug 4. We can't afford both. EMM would have al of the rides the kids love in Fantasyland and small crowds, plus a breakfast and is cheaper-$300 for all 4. However, my children were disappointed we missed the MNSSHP dates and the Villians DAH is kind of a compromise and it is 3 hours long. But it is $560 for the 4 of us and sooo late at night for them. I'm also worried the crowds will be longer. Any opinions on which we should plan to do? I just can't decide! Thanks in advance!

Although we have an EMM planned for MK in July, I would rather do a DAH because it’s at night, it’s longer, and more rides are available. I plan to cancel mine, once I have the DAH tickets. You can consider a DAH ticket as another day added to the trip, whereas the EMM requires a separate admission ticket to get in. I don’t know if you’ve already purchased the tickets, but you could take a day off your tickets and use the savings toward the DAH ticket. Then use that day to relax until the evening. My kids love staying up when we’re on the go, but once we slow down like for parades or fireworks that’s when they start getting tired. That’s also after we’ve been at the parks all day. If we chill at the hotel all day, then they’re good to go!

Makes our May 2 DAH until 1am. OMG, I don't know if we can do it or not. It's our arrival day and our flight leaves before 6am. Fingers crossed our room will be ready when we get there. Nap time! Nice hours though.

Makes our May 2 DAH until 1am. OMG, I don't know if we can do it or not. It's our arrival day and our flight leaves before 6am. Fingers crossed our room will be ready when we get there. Nap time! Nice hours though.
Yes that will be a long day unless you can rest in the room before going to DAH.

It was the only one we could do during our trip. Last time, our room wasn't ready until 3 and we're staying at the same resort. I'm going to let them know that the room being ready is our #1 priority. My 7 yr old grandson will do fine. The child sleeps less than anyone I've ever known. I'm the one who needs the nap! lol

Although we have an EMM planned for MK in July, I would rather do a DAH because it’s at night, it’s longer, and more rides are available. I plan to cancel mine, once I have the DAH tickets. You can consider a DAH ticket as another day added to the trip, whereas the EMM requires a separate admission ticket to get in. I don’t know if you’ve already purchased the tickets, but you could take a day off your tickets and use the savings toward the DAH ticket. Then use that day to relax until the evening. My kids love staying up when we’re on the go, but once we slow down like for parades or fireworks that’s when they start getting tired. That’s also after we’ve been at the parks all day. If we chill at the hotel all day, then they’re good to go!
This is my plan as well for August. I’ll keep the EMM until I (hopefully) can secure DAH tickets.

When oh when are they going to release mid-late August dates???

Hmm... it's only been 10 days since they released the Villains dates. I think you're going to have to be patient and also figure out how to do your trip without DAH because it's possible there won't be any DAH in late August due to MNSSHP events. IF they have any DAH, they might not be as frequent as they have been.

Hmm... it's only been 10 days since they released the Villains dates. I think you're going to have to be patient and also figure out how to do your trip without DAH because it's possible there won't be any DAH in late August due to MNSSHP events. IF they have any DAH, they might not be as frequent as they have been.

I really don't care for MNSSHP. I was hoping there would be a DAH mid august before the first MNSSHP starts. Otherwise I will do EMM as a backup. Heres hoping...

I really don't care for MNSSHP. I was hoping there would be a DAH mid august before the first MNSSHP starts. Otherwise I will do EMM as a backup. Heres hoping...
Don't lose hope! They might sprinkle a couple of regular DAH from mid August to Sept like last year :)

I would like to ask for opinions on something. We are planning to go Aug 3-10. It will be Me, my husband, 11 year old son and 8 year old daughter. This is our 3rd time to WDW. We are trying to decide between doing the Villians DAH at MK on Aug 8 or EMM at MK on Aug 4. We can't afford both. EMM would have al of the rides the kids love in Fantasyland and small crowds, plus a breakfast and is cheaper-$300 for all 4. However, my children were disappointed we missed the MNSSHP dates and the Villians DAH is kind of a compromise and it is 3 hours long. But it is $560 for the 4 of us and sooo late at night for them. I'm also worried the crowds will be longer. Any opinions on which we should plan to do? I just can't decide! Thanks in advance!

I’m cancelling the MM’s I have for HS and the MK. I got DAH’s for those and the AK and I’m kind of relieved not to have to get up and out so early along with having a lot more time in the parks at night when it’s not so hot.

For me, it was a no brainer. I pay $95 for DAH’s with my AP. Twice as much time for not a great deal more money.

4/11 was our night and our experience was similar to others with crowd levels that met our expectations!

In attendance were me and DD8.5. We had a really really long day as we were up at 5am to make our flight to Florida and for various reasons didn’t nap during either of our planned nap sessions today - we were exhausted and left before it ended. Our step counters said that we walked 22000 steps between 2pm and 12:30pm at parks that day!! By the end of the night we were definitely not moving too quickly!

While it’s not quite as empty as it was the first year - we thought the crowd level was great. All of the FP we picked up with refresh method while at the park.

8:24 - entered park/got wristband
8:30 - buzz with FP
8:45 - barnstormer w/FP
Bathroom Break
Pictures by Ariel Statue
9:00 - Under the Sea w/FP
Pictures by Under Sea Entrance
9:15 watched fireworks behind castle (totally different than in front! You feel like you can touch them!)
9:30 - lantern photo (1 family in front of us)
9:37 in line for Pan (10 min posted wait..we had a Pooh FP that we didn’t get to use because the wait time wasn’t actually 10 min!)
10:05 off Peter Pan
10:10 carousel (walk on)
10:15 frozen bananas (7DMT - posted 20 min wait but looked like they had DAH using FP line vs Stand By line.
10:30 Pooh (walk on)
10:33 in 7DMT line (posted 25, verbal 20...clearly overstated!)
10:41 sorted to a train (can’t complain about an 8 min wait!)
10:48 off 7D
10:54 boarded small world (no wait)
11:13 popcorn in liberty square (no wait)
11:22 big thunder (long) walk on (wish they had a shorter queue when there was no wait!)
11:30 road again (didn’t get off)
11:35 off
11:41 eating break for ice cream sandwich in liberty square
Pictures on Main Street
12:12 photos with Mickey finished (no wait)
12;18 photos with Tink (no wait)
12:26 on bus to AoA
13:59 - in bed!!

Really would have liked to have gotten on HM, Buzz, Peoplemove and 7DMT one more time but just didn’t have the gas to do it! I think it totally would have been possible with less lounging and faster walking!

One thing that surprised us was how fast our bus ride was - we had no wait at MK and were home in a snap!

I am tentatively planning June 13 for Villians DAH with a friend instead of an 8 year old. I don’t know how big they will allow the crowds to be but hopefully it’s not full ‘party’ size. Given the price point - I’m hoping that it will half the party size (ie - the Old party size where ride lines were still short!). I just wonder how they will kick day guests out so they don’t see the free stuff...But we did notice good ride policing everywhere but the carousel. And there was no wait for the carousel so we didn’t really mind!

We talked with a cast member at the end of the AH event on Thursday about the Villians events and she said that it was a trial run for 12 weeks, starting in June, so that would seem to indicate that there will be events in August, but that is not official, of course! :D

We talked with a cast member at the end of the AH event on Thursday about the Villians events and she said that it was a trial run for 12 weeks, starting in June, so that would seem to indicate that there will be events in August, but that is not official, of course! :D
That would be interesting since MNSSHP starts in August. I wonder if they're testing this as a potential downgrade for MNSSHP down the road. I mean, if lots of people are willing to pay the same amount for an event with only "light" theming, why would Disney want to spend all that extra on a full parade, special fireworks, stage show and characters?

That would be interesting since MNSSHP starts in August. I wonder if they're testing this as a potential downgrade for MNSSHP down the road. I mean, if lots of people are willing to pay the same amount for an event with only "light" theming, why would Disney want to spend all that extra on a full parade, special fireworks, stage show and characters?

I doubt it. I think villains is a way of raising the price on DAH, and selling more tickets (either for a single event or offering more than once per week). The parties are huge money makers for them.

Only in my dreams will they do away with MNSSHP as it exists today. It’s over sold and increases crowd levels tremendously on non park days. Why would Disney ever stop doing this with huge numbers fighting to get tickets- so much so they extended the season, then replace it with an after hours event that has a much lower ticket sales limit? Yeah, they’re not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Only in my dreams will they do away with MNSSHP as it exists today. It’s over sold and increases crowd levels tremendously on non park days. Why would Disney ever stop doing this with huge numbers fighting to get tickets- so much so they extended the season, then replace it with an after hours event that has a much lower ticket sales limit? Yeah, they’re not going anywhere.

I suspect she’s more worried about them scaling back what’s currently offered.

If I had to guess, if villains does well and is extended (or even additional themes, like princess or something) that there will be a higher price point for MNSSHP next year (along with big crowds of course)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter