**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

We were there last night and we also attended a regular MK AH this past June. We did not ride a lot of the headliners last night but the ones we did try the wait times were shorter than posted ( not tremendously but 10 or 15 instead of 20 and 20 instead of 30). At the end we did walk on splash even though it said 20 mins. Wait times were highly unreliable but we never waited longer than posted. Pirates was a true 20 minute wait. It felt more crowded than when we were there in June (especially in the hub for the show at the end of the evening) but honestly we never had an empty park feeling when we were there in June—I was a little disappointed in the crowd level during our June regular AH date. I think because of that (and this thread) my expectations had been adjusted already. It was a good time and we don’t regret going but if you are going for empty parks I am thinking that may be a thing of the past for after hours in general, not just the VAH. The cat is out of the bag (lol) except for some exceptions—but that may just be my opinion.

I think the fact that the parks are closing earlier (I've rarely experienced a 10 pm closing in MK in all the summers I've been there as was the norm this past trip) and there are less "free" EMHs (one pm in MK for the whole week we were there) is enticing people to buy into these events more. Especially since they are marketed as low waits like many of us remember from "the good old days"...

My sister and I had a "planning party" last night for our 8/1 VAH. We are just so stoked we were able to pull off this last minute tiny trip! My thinking is we will approach it like we approach a MNSSHP, IE - have a top 5 to do and the rest is gravy. Since there are no characters to meet, I think we can accomplish this. Again, we don't have a regular DAH to compare it to, so I'm hoping we won't be too bummed with crowds. We have FP for 7D, Space, and Splash during the day, so during VAH, our top 5 are BTMRR, (shop), Maleficent, Space, Splash, 1 AM show. I think this is doable. I'm really bummed for all of you who were disappointed, I'm glad you are writing Disney! We don't have costumes, but will be in matching shirts with Anastasia and Drisella that say "my favorite Disney villain is my sister!" :wave:

I think the fact that the parks are closing earlier (I've rarely experienced a 10 pm closing in MK in all the summers I've been there as was the norm this past trip) and there are less "free" EMHs (one pm in MK for the whole week we were there) is enticing people to buy into these events more. Especially since they are marketed as low waits like many of us remember from "the good old days"...

Which is exactly why they offer them.

Looking forward to attending on September 5! We can get in beginning 6 pm, correct?

We did this event in January during Marathon week and it was not crowded at all and hoping for the same on September 5, although not sure any longer with SWGE opening.

Cannot wait!

The bold is exactly my feeling, and unfortunately my experience on 7/11. It's also the reason I wrote to Disney with my feelings on the event and its cost.

We never saw 55 minutes on Space when we were there, but 7DMT was still a 45-50 minute wait at 10:45. We had a plan, and stuck to it for the most part, but Peter Pan, Pirates, BTMRR were all over 20 minute wait at the time we waiting/riding. Also, Space/7DMT took us about 30 minutes each (in spite of Space's posted 15 minute wait). As a result we got a total of 5 rides in during the party.

I know last week it was reportedly lighter crowds and lower waits, with many rides being walk-on. It might fluctuate depending on how "sold out" an event is? We enjoyed the event's theming, but it was not the "ride more wait less" event that they are advertising- at least not for our party.

Yes, you'd hope to get on more than 5 rides...We've done two DAHs that past two Januarys, and the "sold out" first one "felt" less crowded than the second, not sold out one. In any case, we tried to switch it up the second time around and go to 7DMM about mid-way through, but just as we were getting there it broke down, which of course can happen. Anyway, that caused a ripple effect with everything around it, and then we were on Peoplemover by the time it reopened, so couldn't get back quickly to beat the line so ended up with a longer wait, but it was just bad luck! But again, with such a short time-frame, it can make a big difference! We got a fare amount done on the front end so we were fine, but not ideal...

My sister and I had a "planning party" last night for our 8/1 VAH. We are just so stoked we were able to pull off this last minute tiny trip! My thinking is we will approach it like we approach a MNSSHP, IE - have a top 5 to do and the rest is gravy. Since there are no characters to meet, I think we can accomplish this. Again, we don't have a regular DAH to compare it to, so I'm hoping we won't be too bummed with crowds. We have FP for 7D, Space, and Splash during the day, so during VAH, our top 5 are BTMRR, (shop), Maleficent, Space, Splash, 1 AM show. I think this is doable. I'm really bummed for all of you who were disappointed, I'm glad you are writing Disney! We don't have costumes, but will be in matching shirts with Anastasia and Drisella that say "my favorite Disney villain is my sister!" :wave:

Reading this thread has definitely helped me to adjust my expectations! I was planning on polling the family about their top priorities and I like your idea of having a top 5! LOVE your shirts!!

If I had not seen reports of how things were running with VAH on this thread before we went, I would have had much higher expectations and been incredibly disappointed. As it was, we had an OK time because our expectations were tempered. However, I felt the need to write because, in my opinion, there is not as much "bang for your buck" on this event. Especially since it was at a higher price point than regular DAH events! At the higher price, I should not have had to temper my expectations.

All in all, we had a fine time and it was good to try it out once. I just feel strongly that Disney needs to up their game with these things, lower the price to be more in line with what you actually get to do (I know- not happening!) or change their marketing so it's not promising "lower waits and more magic".

How many of these are left? 2? I’ll be real curious what changes (if anything) once the villain theme is over. Unfortunately we are flying in on 8/30 and going to MNSSHP but I really wish I could get there a day early to do the non Villain DAH to compare...

My 12 year old son and I were there last night. I kept my expectations low, based on what I read here. Even so, I was really disappointed with the whole experience. Pirates and SM were both 30 minutes, which we expected. But what really bothered me was that the wait times for most of the other rides ended up being twice as long as what was stated. We had a flexible plan, but the inaccurate wait times on less popular rides really threw us off.

Lines for snacks were long and a couple we were in moved slowly because there was confusion as to which line had popcorn and which didn’t, so big groups were constantly moving people back and forth.

My son kept reminding me that 30 minutes for SM was still better than during regular park hours and he was right. But when you only have 3 hours, 30 minutes for multiple rides seems like way too long.

This was our first DAH event, but we’ve been to many Halloween and Christmas parties. We go for the rides and the parades. The parties have character meets that absorb much of the crowding, which VAH does not have. Because of that, VAH was definitely not worth the money or our time. I’d much rather spend the money on a party in the future.

Last year both my kids and I went to a Halloween party. We rode SDMT 3 times, SM 4 times, BTTMR twice and most of the other rides. And we still were able to see the parade. For roughly the same price as VAH we had a much better experience and a better valued experience. If Disney isn’t going to have characters out to absorb crowds like during the parties, then they need to sell way less tickets for VAH.

This is the first time in my 50+ visits to WDW that I felt like something was not worth the money. I would not recommend Villains After Hours to anyone.

I went last night. I've been to a few DAH with the last one being in May. I do think the initial weather may have filled some of the "covered" lines prior to party starting so we were already behind the game there.

Observations:
- I think it was more crowded than the regular DAH and no doubt it is the Villains as they have a huge fan base. Seeing Maleficent alone at night was a huge draw for me.
- A small handful in full costume, a nice amount in specialty tshirts or headbands. I felt like maybe some of the older guests (dressed in some way) made me think they came for Villain atmosphere and maybe wouldn't do a regular DAH.
- We arrived around 8 going through event entry and got our bands.
- I would say the park was still plenty crowded considering it had just poured for a bit. Main St was packed with those waiting for fireworks so we went through the back alley as folks were leaving that way.
- We rode Buzz Lightyear on a rolling FP+.
- We went to Mickey's Tomorrowland Traders to get our FREE Passholder Ornaments and DS to get an event tshirt.
- We watched the fireworks from Tomorrowland.
- We rode Teacups, Under the Sea, Haunted Mansion, Seven Dwarfs. Previous DAH we rode EVERYTHING.
- But those were specifically for rides, this was to enjoy some Villain stuff.
- Pirates at 11 pm ... line very long. Time posted 20 minutes, I looked at CM and said really? and she made a face and said she didn't think so had to be at least 30 but then was she basing that on normal operations where there are two lines. While we wanted to see the live Pirates I wasn't giving up an hour of our night for that.
- Seven Dwarfs was a posted wait of 20 minutes but we waited less than 15 minutes.
- DS can't do Space so didn't check that but Peter Pan had a substantial wait, queued outside the building.
- HM we waited about 15 minutes then it broke while we were in graveyard. After ten minutes of sitting and no announcement my rebel came out and I took a FLASH PHOTO and let my kid sip his coke. We crawled to end with team of maintenance there and they were unloading the line. People were not happy, I mean this was a Villains night.
- Teacup and Under Sea walk on as were other kiddie rides. I was disappointed Teacup didn't have overlay like MNSSHP.
- Magic Photos ... all were only a couple minute wait. Scar, Maleficent and Oogie had two photographers each, Pirates had one but short line. We did all but Pirates; I don't know why. They came out great! Glad we did those.
- Snacks; mostly plentiful - some places "ran out" too early. Compared to May they just lined up the drinks and popcorn on carts and you grabbed. Ice cream they had boxes up just handing out. To my observing NO ONE checked any wristbands, it was mostly just mob mentality grabbing.
- We did one ice cream but melting too fast. We did popcorn for the show and popcorn again in Town Square waiting for the Maleficent goodbye.
- We didn't buy any of the specialty foods. DS wanted one but I just wasn't paying that. None of the lines marked for these were long, some empty so .... when you offer free are you really going to make much?
- Went to 12 am show early so we would see Maleficent come by beforehand. She was awesome there as it was so dark. 🖤💜 The fire looked incredible.
- The show was enjoyable. I thought some of the dancing looked very thrown together and not strong enough for Villain. I know they can do better so ..... my plan to watch twice was no more.
- I'll have to watch Hercules again as Hades was interesting in mannerisms and way of speaking. Maybe it was just me. The Queen, Dr. Facilier and Maleficent were awesome. I'm still adjusting to face character Jafar, he's just not scary.
- The fire couple were great. I've seen a few fire performers and they did a few things I had not seen. (they were not Disney performers)
- There was special light projections around the park, light color changes on spot lights, things in windows, a few smoke areas. Music was good in the background.
- DJ for dance party at castle was good, always is.
- In Town Square we had characters up on train station that changed and talked to audience "encouraging" to leave. We waited for Maleficent to arrive. She came through at 1:30 am.

Would I do it again? Probably not and I am a huge Villains fan and I paid a discounted rate for it. If they want to continue this they need to change some logistics if they want to keep this at 3 hours. Once you add a draw like Villains you have more people, and you'll have more stragglers trying to see something. You need to discourage them staying like they originally did with DAH. Any added theme/shows etc changes the rules and maybe this needs an hour buffer to empty park. I just didn't feel like they had much control of who was in the park, NO one was checking wristbands for anything, honestly I was surprised there were so few visible CMs who weren't scrambling to work.

Also at the much higher price than regular DAH we got a few magic shots, DJ, a show and an existing float rolling. Not much. Maybe it's all a test but I tell you I'd pay the price for a 5 hour party and some meet & greets and more photo ops. They wouldn't even have to give me free food ... just a Villains centric party.

Last edited:
You need to discourage them staying like they originally did with DAH. Any added theme/shows etc changes the rules and maybe this needs an hour buffer to empty park. I just didn't feel like they had much control of who was in the park, NO one was checking wristbands for anything, honestly I was surprised there were so few visible CMs who weren't scrambling to work.

Reading the recent reviews, I was wondering if they had stopped checking for bands. This is a shame because it seemed to help during the first few events. :sad1:

Reading the recent reviews, I was wondering if they had stopped checking for bands. This is a shame because it seemed to help during the first few events. :sad1:

It was apples and oranges compared to May. No one was checking when you grabbed snacks or got on rides. There seemed to be so few working it was all they could do to keep up with getting food put out or filling rides. Clearly less working on rides we went on ....

Under the Sea - NO ONE at entry to line, NO ONE at any point on line, first CM we saw was where you step on moving sidewalk to get in car. They were busy loading.
7 Dwarfs - NO ONE until the merge inside where it was dark and crowded ... and she clearly didn't care nor want to be there.
Haunted Mansion - NO ONE until we were entering stretching room. The doors were open to outside so people were pouring in and saw her in passing in hallway.
TeaCups had one outside to load and one in tower ... like who's trying to jump on that anyway.

Forget it at food, they couldn't keep up with putting stuff out and we were grabbing with all different arms so they weren't checking. I firmly believe I didn't need a bracelet or at the very most a red rubber one.

It was apples and oranges compared to May. No one was checking when you grabbed snacks or got on rides. There seemed to be so few working it was all they could do to keep up with getting food put out or filling rides. Clearly less working on rides we went on ....

Under the Sea - NO ONE at entry to line, NO ONE at any point on line, first CM we saw was where you step on moving sidewalk to get in car. They were busy loading.
7 Dwarfs - NO ONE until the merge inside where it was dark and crowded ... and she clearly didn't care nor want to be there.
Haunted Mansion - NO ONE until we were entering stretching room. The doors were open to outside so people were pouring in and saw her in passing in hallway.
TeaCups had one outside to load and one in tower ... like who's trying to jump on that anyway.

Forget it at food, they couldn't keep up with putting stuff out and we were grabbing with all different arms so they weren't checking. I firmly believe I didn't need a bracelet or at the very most a red rubber one.

So frustrating, I hope more people complain and/or they start to see an impact on ticket sales. Too bad none of the bloggers have been in attendance for some of these later dates. I think the earlier glowing reviews may be simultaneously increasing sales while setting unrealistic expectations since the first one was "sold out," but appeared to have had lower crowds or possibly better crowd management than the last two?

Oh dear, it sounds terrible and we're going next Thursday! Why, oh why, are the villains events so bad? I did the DHS event the year Maleficent came out. Horrible. I left at 1130pm even though I am a fireworks freak--I just could stand waiting until 1am. Maleficent line was 5 hours long--which was basically the entire party! They wasted tons of time with a opening show introducing the characters that took way too long. They put out special maps at 5pm, so all the outgoing day guests took them and put them on Ebay. I got there at 530pm for a 7pm start, and no maps. NOT ONE. No way to find out where the rare character photos opps were, the specialty cocktails locations, the food or merch kiosks were. I finally begged one from a family of 6 who had multiples. I waited 60 minutes for my photo with the Old Hag from Snow White. Tried to get Strombolli, but he was just walking around, not stopping for photos. Cruella and Gaston were 30-45 minute waits. Nightmare. In fact, the longest line was at GS to complain. I complained the next morning and got a couple of Fastpasses, then I read on these boards that people got refunds, so I called and got one too. Of course, I used it for the villains party at MNSSHP, which was sooo much better. So Disney still got my money. When will I learn????

I'm wondering if they planned their staffing based on advance ticket sales but had a lot of last minute or same day sales? I know at least the Touring Plans crowd predictions were all too low for this week and I feel like I read at one point that the last week or so of July was supposed to be less busy than the first week in August, so I'm wondering if there were a lot of last minute visits planned?

Quick question... we'll be going to MK the morning of our villains party and going back to our resort for a midday break. We have a fastpass to meet Mickey and Minnie a little after five (first thing when we get back to the park - no sweaty family pics for me this time!). We have a dinner at Jungle Skipper around 6:30. When would be best to pick up my party tickets? Where do I go?

Many thanks!
Tortuga Tavern is a very short walk from Skipper Canteen. I would go there either before or after dinner.

So frustrating, I hope more people complain and/or they start to see an impact on ticket sales. Too bad none of the bloggers have been in attendance for some of these later dates. I think the earlier glowing reviews may be simultaneously increasing sales while setting unrealistic expectations since the first one was "sold out," but appeared to have had lower crowds or possibly better crowd management than the last two?

I think it can be hit or miss with bloggers, not too long ago early MNSSHP got terrible reviews first few parties. The best Disney can do is be consistent in service offered, and maybe figure out your cap and stick to it.

Oh dear, it sounds terrible and we're going next Thursday! Why, oh why, are the villains events so bad? I did the DHS event the year Maleficent came out. Horrible. I left at 1130pm even though I am a fireworks freak--I just could stand waiting until 1am. Maleficent line was 5 hours long--which was basically the entire party! They wasted tons of time with a opening show introducing the characters that took way too long. They put out special maps at 5pm, so all the outgoing day guests took them and put them on Ebay. I got there at 530pm for a 7pm start, and no maps. NOT ONE. No way to find out where the rare character photos opps were, the specialty cocktails locations, the food or merch kiosks were. I finally begged one from a family of 6 who had multiples. I waited 60 minutes for my photo with the Old Hag from Snow White. Tried to get Strombolli, but he was just walking around, not stopping for photos. Cruella and Gaston were 30-45 minute waits. Nightmare. In fact, the longest line was at GS to complain. I complained the next morning and got a couple of Fastpasses, then I read on these boards that people got refunds, so I called and got one too. Of course, I used it for the villains party at MNSSHP, which was sooo much better. So Disney still got my money. When will I learn????

Went to both of those and sadly if they put the word Villain in there, I'll keep going. Those events were two different kinds and both poorly planned and executed. I knew this would be harder to do lots of rides and enjoy some Villain stuff but given the lack of Villain input I kinda got neither.

Can someone tell me where all the magic shots are located? We go next Thur.

Maleficent is against the Fantasyland wall as you walk towards bathrooms behind Pinocchio.

Oogie Boogie is just over bridge to Tomorrowland on the left side by rocks (Stitch side).

Pirates was at Pirates in normal spot.

Scar was to left after you cross over bridge into Adventureland before Treehouse.

I'm wondering if they planned their staffing based on advance ticket sales but had a lot of last minute or same day sales? I know at least the Touring Plans crowd predictions were all too low for this week and I feel like I read at one point that the last week or so of July was supposed to be less busy than the first week in August, so I'm wondering if there were a lot of last minute visits planned?

Could be. There was more management at beginning than I have seen at other events. BUT this goes back to Disney needs to create a set cap, at set time points, staff accordingly and stop seeing dollar signs as folks walk up to buy. If you are not staffed for it then you need to declare sold out. They can have a cap up to 72 hours staffing it fully, don't make it adjust staff cap and staff down, at 24 hours or less cap is X and it's sold out. Did the missing staff impact ME, no because I have AP, go often, rode everything this week prior and will be back. But to the guest they are selling this expensive event as a way to do lots of rides .... yes, the lines and lack of staff may have impacted their experience. When you are testing something for first time .... why do you create issues for yourself?

Last edited:
It makes me sad and angry to read these recent poor reviews of VAH. We already have tickets for 8/8, but I wouldn't have bought them if I had seen these reviews first. 8/8 is our last night in the parks, so if we end up having a bad experience and need to complain about lines, crowds, etc., is guest services open during the event or will I have to wait until the next day? It won't do me much good to get extra FPs though because we are only planning to be in MK for lunch and then heading out.

I attended last night’s party, and I totally concur with the previous posters....

Background: I’m an AP, and have done the After Hours since it’s inception - usually 3-4 times a year.

Last night’s event was clearly the worst that I have attended. Daughter and I managed to get in a grand total of six rides total:

Space Mountain (ran to it immediately after fireworks; had a 35-minute wait)

Buzz Lightyear (at 10:35pm; only a 5-minute wait; CM at entry checking bands, and CM at loading)

7 Dwarves Mine Train (30-minute wait; two CM’s: entry & loading)

Winnie the Pooh (5-minute wait; two CM’s: entry & loading)

Walked to Haunted Mansion - posted 20 minute wait; got up to entry doors, and line just stopped moving. After an additional 10-minute wait here, we bailed - we learned later the ride had gone down. So, we wasted 30 minutes here. One CM at entry checking bands; NO CM near the doors into the attraction. So, no CM announced that ride was down)

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (line was out and down the front path; both sides going; 25-minute wait; one CM at entry and CM’s at loading)

Pirates (line was all the way out onto path in front of attraction; 25-minute wait; the Standby side was used for loading - no entry to the FP side of entry)

I remember previous DAH’s, where I could STAY on BTMRR and ride several times in a row. I remember walking down Main Street at the close of the party, and feeling like I had it to myself. Last night, there were hundreds of us streaming down Main Street after the last show. It was crazy crowded.

I wasn’t the only one feeling this way...the family in front of us at Pirates were taking photos of the lines...the mom then turned and explained that they were severely disappointed with the evening, and would be sending an email - with photos - to Disney. Several families on the bus to Caribbean Beach also expressed disappointment and frustration - because with the price level, it just did NOT deliver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter