Disney Announces Eliminating Magic Hours. Will Replace with 30 Minute Early Entrance to Parks

How does Disney intend to prevent off site people from clogging up the parking lot entrances and turnstiles thus ruining this “perk” if you’ve ever showed up 30 minutes late to an EMH opening you’ll know what I’m talking about...
It’s not like they haven’t done this before for morning EMH.

I actually think this will be greater incentive for staying on-site. There will still be a huge number of guests who will stay on-site and will take advantage of this “perk.” Any off-site guests arriving a half-hour later will find long lines already formed at all the headliners by the time they arrive. If you want the benefit of rope-drop, you will have to be a part of that on-site group. (With the current system, you could avoid this problem simply by avoiding the morning EMH park.)

I actually think this will be greater incentive for staying on-site. There will still be a huge number of guests who will stay on-site and will take advantage of this “perk.” Any off-site guests arriving a half-hour later will find long lines already formed at all the headliners by the time they arrive. If you want the benefit of rope-drop, you will have to be a part of that on-site group. (With the current system, you could avoid this problem simply by avoiding the morning EMH park.)

That's how I see it - especially if you are interested in the new big ride that gets a huge line right away, you will always be at the back of a long line if you stay off site

Agree. 30 minute head start every day at every park is a big deal. Even if that 30 minutes is just getting in line for FoP or 7DMT early that is a big advantage.

Agree. 30 minute head start every day at every park is a big deal. Even if that 30 minutes is just getting in line for FoP or 7DMT early that is a big advantage.

And then even more so when it will be for Rat, Tron, or Guardians (or if they ever shift to some sort of standby line for Rise)

it's possible - also, I would think, lead to less extra expense vs old style EMHs. Like everyone has said the parks have been opening 30+ minutes early anyway, so really no change of operations other than having to segment people into who gets in early and who doesn't

I also think this really could be a push to stay on property if riding things like MMRR or Mine Train or FoP (or Rat when it open) or other rides that get that big line at rope drop as now you get that head start vs people that stay off property

As someone who does often stay off proper I feel like that is a negative impact to those stays as before I would just plan days around avoiding EMH parks and then would be in the same rope drop crowd as those that are staying on property/no "negative position" for us

So no extra expesnse and the potentail to make staying on property more attractive? Seems like a win for Disney
I think it’s only an attractive perk to those who LIKE getting up early on vacation and the rope drop types. This is not good for those of us who like to shut the parks down and loved everything about the NEMHS! Those were awesome! The late night street parties were epic and we loved
#Disneyafterdark. I’m going to miss coming to the parks while everyone else was leaving☺️.

I think it’s only an attractive perk to those who LIKE getting up early on vacation and the rope drop types. This is not good for those of us who like to shut the parks down and loved everything about the NEMHS! Those were awesome! The late night street parties were epic and we loved
#Disneyafterdark. I’m going to miss coming to the parks while everyone else was leaving☺.

Yes, I am just comparing the new early entry vs morning extra magic hours and how they could be more of an advantage. Definitely the evening ones are completely separate and losing them is a bummer

I do expect to see a lot of paid after hour events once they start those up again

Reactions: cm8
#Disneyafterdark. I’m going to miss coming to the parks while everyone else was leaving☺.
I wish I could like your post twice. Our first trip was in 2015 and the joy our family experienced closing down MK past midnight will never be topped. Everything and I mean EVERY RIDE we tried to get on was empty. Even rides that were my toddlers favorite like Peter pan...walk on/15 minute wait tops.

30 minute early morning times does nothing for me. Let this forever night owl sleep in and close down the parks late at night for my perfect vacation. Sadly it’s painful to admit those days are long gone.

I wish I could like your post twice. Our first trip was in 2015 and the joy our family experienced closing down MK past midnight will never be topped. Everything and I mean EVERY RIDE we tried to get on was empty. Even rides that were my toddlers favorite like Peter pan...walk on/15 minute wait tops.

30 minute early morning times does nothing for me. Let this forever night owl sleep in and close down the parks late at night for my perfect vacation. Sadly it’s painful to admit those days are long gone.

Agreed...and for those who have said evening hours didnt make money because not a lot of people attended... well yes, thats the point and what a perk often is. Its a loss leader to entice you to take a trip overall, in addition to making memories where you would want to come.back and do things again.

I am at the point where Disney has become so short sighted in removing and delaying things that I am kind of indifferent to when my next trip will be. Thats not good for their bottom line considering I am not the only one.

That was me. Even when on-site i would go to the mparks without EMH. "great... EMH at AK. good day to go to MK"
Yep, every time I tried the emh we ended up having to park hop about an hour after the gates opened because it got so ridiculously crowded in that park. And good luck getting a bus to MK on emh days, you were going to miss half of it anyway, standing in front of your resort. If you didn't drive your own car, you were at the mercy of the busses. I certainly can't imagine it now, with busses being at limited capacity? ugh...just no. I have long been an avoider of the emh park of the day.

If you are going to the parks early I still most people will still go early on site or not.

The only thing keeping me on site is the bus transport to and from the parks. I hate the idea of driving somewhere after a long day at MK.
See I'm the exact opposite. I love walking past all of the tired people and straight to my car. I would guarantee, most nights I'm in my jammies, watching tv in my bed before some of the people I walked past are even on the bus. We always pity them, saying, "Man, aren't you glad we don't have to stand in THAT line right now?" lol I'm far too impatient for Disney's bus system. When I'm ready to go, I'm ready to go and the seats in my car feel sooo much better than the ones on the bus.

Been thinking how this would impact us, and honestly, it's negatively.

I do agree that being able to go to any park 30 minutes early is a perk, and will help spread out the EMH crowds. But as a family who has a child who struggles with mornings and who does better staying up late than getting up early, the loss of the extra evening hours is disappointing. We would utilize those more.

See I'm the exact opposite. I love walking past all of the tired people and straight to my car. I would guarantee, most nights I'm in my jammies, watching tv in my bed before some of the people I walked past are even on the bus. We always pity them, saying, "Man, aren't you glad we don't have to stand in THAT line right now?" lol I'm far too impatient for Disney's bus system. When I'm ready to go, I'm ready to go and the seats in my car feel sooo much better than the ones on the bus.

This 100%. I HATED having to wait for the bus at the end of the night, and to sit on a hard seat on a crowded bus.

Been thinking how this would impact us, and honestly, it's negatively.

I do agree that being able to go to any park 30 minutes early is a perk, and will help spread out the EMH crowds. But as a family who has a child who struggles with mornings and who does better staying up late than getting up early, the loss of the extra evening hours is disappointing. We would utilize those more.

But just comparing this to morning EMHs what are your thoughts? Obviously just eliminating the evening ones are a negative but I am just thinking the 30 mins every park vs an hour at one park in the morning

100% agree. For the late nights, if we couldn't walk to our resort, we just drove. For a while there minnie vans were a good option, but eventually, a lot of people got that idea and the supply wasn't there. I hate riding the buses at closing because everybody is sweaty, stinky and tired (including myself) and they pack the buses so tight that it is miserable. Plus, having been raised old school, I never sit if a lady or child is still standing, so I always end up giving up my seat and standing the entire trip back. And, being very tall, I have to duck the entire time to prevent my head from hitting the top of the bus. An all around miserable experience.

I'd rather just walk to my very comfortable car and drive back immediately. Guaranteed to be back in 15 or 20 minutes, while the bus wait and drive has been well over an hour many times for us. The minnie van solution was the best, but it looks like that is gone now.

The bad part now is that everyone will be leaving out at the same time, so we will get caught up in the traffic. That 2 hours gave a lot of time for the non resort folks to clear out, so when we left, the traffic wasn't bad at all. It will be bad now, especially on weekends.

This change isn't a good one for customers.

100% agree. For the late nights, if we couldn't walk to our resort, we just drove. For a while there minnie vans were a good option, but eventually, a lot of people got that idea and the supply wasn't there. I hate riding the buses at closing because everybody is sweaty, stinky and tired (including myself) and they pack the buses so tight that it is miserable. Plus, having been raised old school, I never sit if a lady or child is still standing, so I always end up giving up my seat and standing the entire trip back. And, being very tall, I have to duck the entire time to prevent my head from hitting the top of the bus. An all around miserable experience.

I'd rather just walk to my very comfortable car and drive back immediately. Guaranteed to be back in 15 or 20 minutes, while the bus wait and drive has been well over an hour many times for us. The minnie van solution was the best, but it looks like that is gone now.
OMG I don't think you and I have ever been on a bus together lol. I took my 6 year old step son one year and I threw my back completely out while I was there when I picked him up so we could take a picture on one of those computers at the end of Imagination. I thought I was going to die, and I was there with him for 4 days alone. I'll never forget getting on a bus at AK to go back to the room and being slung all around that pole, trying to hang on to a little boy and not fall down while in excruciating pain and not one guy, young or old offered me a seat. I used that moment to teach my son to always offer a lady or older person his seat and boy he couldn't WAIT to try it out lol. He'd tweak his eyebrows at me every time one got on the bus from that moment out.:rolleyes: You know, for years after, he would say, "remember when you told me to give my seat to a lady?" it really stuck with him for some reason. That 6 year old is in the Navy now, his father and I divorced ages ago but I bet he's a gentleman today lol

This 100%. I HATED having to wait for the bus at the end of the night, and to sit on a hard seat on a crowded bus.
The worst is when it's really late, after one of the party's and someone is too rude to turn off their blinking toys or mouse ears the whole ride back and they're lighting up the bus like a limo on the way to the club for a bachelorette party. I had that happen once and that woman clearly HAD to see that her ears were blinding the entire bus. I had to put my hand over my eyes it was so bad. I'm surprised someone didn't have a seizure lol.

Perhaps that earlier 30 minutes leads to more food/beverage being consumed, on average, per guest over each day. I wouldn't be surprised if that was at least part of the marketing/accounting discussions.
I wonder if this will mean more restaurants open in the parks for breakfast? We were shocked in December at how much less we spent on food, we could only guess it was due to breakfast and mobile order prevented us/slowed us from impulsively snacking all day :)

The bad part now is that everyone will be leaving out at the same time, so we will get caught up in the traffic. That 2 hours gave a lot of time for the non resort folks to clear out, so when we left, the traffic wasn't bad at all. It will be bad now, especially on weekends.

This change isn't a good one for customers.
True. None of what Disney is changing right now seems to be good for customers. The true concern seems to be lining their pockets and that makes me just sick. The last couple of years now, I've been spending my vacation money elsewhere. All in 2 years I tried my first cruise, liked it so much I went on 3 more lol and traveled to Paris twice....each trip was less that what I would pay for a 3 day weekend at WDW on property. FAR less. Last week I stayed on property at Universal for the first time and didn't visit any Disney parks. There was a time when I couldn't even imagine getting that close to Disney and not going. Their skyrocketing prices have made me branch out and enjoy other vacations that I assumed would be boring in comparison but boy how wrong I was. There's something to be said for vacations where you just relax and don't feel like you have to go go go to get your money's worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter