Disney announces new Ticket system for WDW

I have only bought my tickets from 3rd party sellers since I started going back in 2014 from Undercover tourists. Frankly, I have never seen the benefit of getting a package deal as opposed to getting a room-only reservation and separate tickets.

Until Disney started putting expiration dates on tickets, there was really no downside to buying tickets ahead of time and using them even a year or two later. You'd save money with the 3rd party discount you got PLUS even more since they were raising ticket prices yearly.

I have 4 days left on the old "10-day park hoppers with the no-expiration option' (that they stopped in 2015) that I used for 3 separate 2-day trips in 2014, 2015, 2017 at a way more affordable price than getting the tickets as I went. Those tickets cost $75/day . .when it costs on average over $100/day to go now (when you go for 4 or less days). That is 25% savings (that will just get bigger the longer I hold onto the tickets). While it was a lot of money to spend at once way back in 2014, it's not like that there is much I could have invested that money in to get that sort of return easily.

These money saving techniques (of buying tickets in advance from 3rd parties) are a thing of the past. Which is probably Disney's intention. They don't want tons of people holding on to tickets for years (and thus having keeping track of them in the system) and going to the park for half the cost of new tickets.

I'd still be happy to give Disney my money now to save money in the future, but they obviously don't want that anymore.

Disney just wants to know exactly when people are coming and for how long.

I'm sure they will increase the prices of Annual Passes (that don't have blackout dates) as well to discourage their use and push people to this new "plan ahead" pricing structure -- as owners of those throw these crowd predictions out the window as they can show up at any given time.

Unless you can snag free dining or something similar, buying from UT or PS and getting room only is always better. Or at least it was.

This is getting a lot of criticism but I'm not yet convinced this is such a horrible thing. It may even save quite a few families some $$ as opposed to a hike across the board. I do the AP so maybe I'm oblivious.

I'm going next February, and what happened this past February freaked me out... with the huge wait times, and then tons and tons of ride failures. The times in the app were insane. I certainly hope they learned their lesson and this February doesn't end up the same way.
Yeah, I'm back the last week of Jan and have the same concerns.

This may have already been covered, I haven't read it all.
Will you be able to buy a 6 day ticket, and then add an extra day there before using the last day, if you want, like you can now?
Probably. It works out to their favor to allow it. Another day of park admission means another day of dining and shopping and maybe another night in their resorts.

This is getting a lot of criticism but I'm not yet convinced this is such a horrible thing. It may even save quite a few families some $$ as opposed to a hike across the board. I do the AP so maybe I'm oblivious.
First, they added peak pricing for one day tickets, and I did nothing, for I was not a single day ticket holder. Then, they variably priced multi-day tickets based on season, and I did nothing, for I was not a multi-day ticket holder. Then they hiked AP rates 22% and added blackout dates during Thanksgiving week, Christmas week, and Easter week, and everyone was too numb to say anything.

Sorry...couldn’t resist! :)

I really don't like this move but I understand it.

I normally come for rundisney races which is often set at non-peak times which is why they do them but regardless of what they charge it won't change my plans. Marathon Weekend and Dark Side weekend are when I'm coming and the most this pricing will do is maybe make be reduce a park day if prices are too high.

First, they added peak pricing for one day tickets, and I did nothing, for I was not a single day ticket holder. Then, they variably priced multi-day tickets based on season, and I did nothing, for I was not a multi-day ticket holder. Then they hiked AP rates 22% and added blackout dates during Thanksgiving week, Christmas week, and Easter week, and everyone was too numb to say anything.

Sorry...couldn’t resist! :)
Disney would be missing an opportunity if they don't use this for an opportunity to raise annual pass prices (especially those that don't have blackout dates).

It's brilliant .. increase the price in one product (multi-day tickets) to increase demand in another product (Annual Passes) and then raise those prices (due to high demand).

Their "slow trickle" of ticket changes has been pretty brilliant (from a business standpoint) to get us to this point without realizing it. It has taken 4 years .. but
1) Remove the "no-expiration" option from tickets in 2015
2) Raise ticket prices yearly by about 10% each year
3) Start off with tiered pricing for one day tickets to get us used to the idea.
4) Have tickets expire in less than 2 years starting in 2017.
5) And now all tickets are priced based on the date. starting in late 2018

The reason we got to #5 is because we just kept coming and paying the higher prices after steps 1-4 (I'm just as guilty . .though my trips up to this point have all been from those "no-expiration option" tickets.
(and that's on top of the hotel price increases and the additional parking fees).

It's like in the movies .. some bad guy's evil multi-step plan.

They did it with Fast Pass + .. they've created a demand for a product (short lines) which allowed them to create and charge for them (via events like Early Morning Magic). I wouldn't be surprised if FP+ has been just a slow setup to start charging for the skip the line privileges in general .. because it is the "industry standard".

content://media/external/file/74811 those that don't have blackout dates).

I wouldn't be surprised if FP+ has been just a slow setup to start charging for the skip the line privileges in general .. because it is the "industry standard".

Oh definitely. And I imagine sooner than we think. Quite honestly I imagine they will implement something like this in time for the opening of SWGE.

Disney would be missing an opportunity if they don't use this for an opportunity to raise annual pass prices (especially those that don't have blackout dates).

It's brilliant .. increase the price in one product (multi-day tickets) to increase demand in another product (Annual Passes) and then raise those prices (due to high demand).

Their "slow trickle" of ticket changes has been pretty brilliant (from a business standpoint) to get us to this point without realizing it. It has taken 4 years .. but
1) Remove the "no-expiration" option from tickets in 2015
2) Raise ticket prices yearly by about 10% each year
3) Start off with tiered pricing for one day tickets to get us used to the idea.
4) Have tickets expire in less than 2 years starting in 2017.
5) And now all tickets are priced based on the date. starting in late 2018

The reason we got to #5 is because we just kept coming and paying the higher prices after steps 1-4 (I'm just as guilty . .though my trips up to this point have all been from those "no-expiration option" tickets.
(and that's on top of the hotel price increases and the additional parking fees).

It's like in the movies .. some bad guy's evil multi-step plan.

They did it with Fast Pass + .. they've created a demand for a product (short lines) which allowed them to create and charge for them (via events like Early Morning Magic). I wouldn't be surprised if FP+ has been just a slow setup to start charging for the skip the line privileges in general .. because it is the "industry standard".

I agree, and those of us who go annually and stay plugged in have an “easier” time adjusting.

I had the opportunity this past weekend to visit WDW with family who hadn’t been since 2014. They were a little frazzled with then planning to say the least. And going to EPCOT with them was priceless. “Let’s do innovations!” Umm......about that....

They all commented on how much more expensive the trip was compared to 4 years ago. They all seemed a little disappointed with the difference in experience, but in relation to cost.

This is the consumer base that they should worry about losing.

I think the thought process is ... Disney doesn't adjust ticket prices unless there is a monetary gain for them. We just don't have enough information to come to any real conclusions especially given they stated that the prices they showed and used for examples ... are not actual prices. I do think creating a confusing inconsistent pricing system is just one more aggravation in planning and this will likely make cost of going higher.

I think the gain may be direct when all tickets sold are averaged or they are banking on folks paying the $50 whether they need it or not or the actual ticket prices just ended up higher prices when finally published.

But it may be Disney is banking that the new system will cause folks to book longer trips and be tied to them, or book shorter trips allowing them to roll rooms to the next budget of high dining and souvenirs or fill days that have traditionally been low crowds (but that has been done before).

I am AP too but most my framily is not so I do often hear the other perspective. I am afraid that shortly after Oct 16 we might see a jump in AP again (in case I renewed early to lock in my price) OR we will see it substantially change before SWL opens. If I had a choice I would rather have fairly priced APs with potential blockouts on SWL than huge jumps.

I think the thought process is ... Disney doesn't adjust ticket prices unless there is a monetary gain for them. We just don't have enough information to come to any real conclusions especially given they stated that the prices they showed and used for examples ... are not actual prices. I do think creating a confusing inconsistent pricing system is just one more aggravation in planning and this will likely make cost of going higher.

I think the gain may be direct when all tickets sold are averaged or they are banking on folks paying the $50 whether they need it or not or the actual ticket prices just ended up higher prices when finally published.

But it may be Disney is banking that the new system will cause folks to book longer trips and be tied to them, or book shorter trips allowing them to roll rooms to the next budget of high dining and souvenirs or fill days that have traditionally been low crowds (but that has been done before).

I am AP too but most my framily is not so I do often hear the other perspective. I am afraid that shortly after Oct 16 we might see a jump in AP again (in case I renewed early to lock in my price) OR we will see it substantially change before SWL opens. If I had a choice I would rather have fairly priced APs with potential blockouts on SWL than huge jumps.

I'm out of state so I have to purchase platinum. I would gladly pay lower AP or no increase and be blacked out of DHS for a year or 2.

Oh definitely. And I imagine sooner than we think. Quite honestly I imagine they will implement something like this in time for the opening of SWGE.
Right .. how much would any of us be willing to pay for a 4th "anytime, anywhere" fast pass per day considering we gladly pay $70 for Early Morning Magic .. or $70 for a better seat at a night show.

I agree, and those of us who go annually and stay plugged in have an “easier” time adjusting.

I had the opportunity this past weekend to visit WDW with family who hadn’t been since 2014. They were a little frazzled with then planning to say the least. And going to EPCOT with them was priceless. “Let’s do innovations!” Umm......about that....

They all commented on how much more expensive the trip was compared to 4 years ago. They all seemed a little disappointed with the difference in experience, but in relation to cost.

This is the consumer base that they should worry about losing.
Ya, having gone on 3 short trips since 2014 .. the price has gone up significantly (just in ticket cost) since then. But I have done everything I can to 'shelter' myself from the increases. I splurged for 10-day no-expiration option tickets with hoppers in 2014 and it only cost about $750. So because I was able to "buy in bulk" I am getting a significant discount on my daily park entrance compared to what I would have paid walking up to the gate on those trips. I bought some 5-day tickets with no expiration. I plan on getting an AP this year because I may be going down there 3 times (only because other relatives are going and we want to meet them).

I can't imagine people who aren't "in the know" who wants to go back to Disney World again after a few years will think.
My sister in-law's family went with us in 2015. I wonder what they would think when they would see what the exact same trip 4 days/5 nights at art of Animation family suite (in end of August) cost in 2019. (probably hundreds, if not $1000 more .. and that's probably not counting food prices).

Maybe this will finally level off their attendance growth and make the parks feel "less crowded" .. it already seems like 2019 is looking like a down year for attendance as they already are pushing discounts for the first part of the year.

All these changes I think I may switch my "home resort" to DL. I love DW but I live on the west coast anyway and it seems like DW is creating more complicated vacations to extract more money. I love planning but even for me this seems a bit annoying regarding selecting a specific day. Even though DL has a totally different feel that DW, it's starting to make more sense to go there even if I miss the Disney bubble.

Unless of course this is rolled out at DL too

Definitely interested to see what happens to annual passes. Around the day that this is launched we will be shortly getting to where people who start at AP would have that year go through the opening of Galaxy’s Edge - so could see a huge increase to cost and/or adding more levels with “less” expensive ones having blackouts for DHS after Galaxy’s Edge opens

It was in this stickied thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/all-about-tickets-upgrades.3570721/

It's a long one, and I can't tell you what page it's on. So far, the later replies I've seen have all said it was a no-go. Good luck and please report your findings.

Edit: I found one post mentioning it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/all-about-tickets-upgrades.3570721/page-257#post-59761201

I called the tickets number 407 566 4985 Ext 4 about over the phone ticket upgrades... The CM said 3rd Party tickets couldn't be upgraded over the phone but she actually did use the word "price bridging" and said they would have no issue doing it in person during our trip and even mentioned that we should get the current credited gate price towards and upgrade...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter