Disney ASL publication or help?

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
Hi--I haven't posted in almost a year and a half but have a pressing need that I am sure those here would be experts.

My son shows signs of speech apraxia and has been in Speech Therapy for almost 6 months.

His receptive langague is off the charts as he is not deaf and follows verbal commands and conversations with ease.

His expressive spoken langauage is almost absent at 25 months. (He has only recently started some babbling)

We have used Signing times and he has flourished increasing his expressive langauge by leaps and bounds using ASL.

All that I have found is that Disney offers ASL interpretors, but we don't need one as my son is fine.

All I am looking for is a cheat sheet or something so that we can tell him the signs for things so that he can communicate himself.

Any idea what I can do or seek in this regard? Should I call ahead? Can I meet with an interpretor? Do they have a guidebook with signs published? I'm a bit of a purist b/c I do want the staff to be able to understand him to some degree so I don't like making up signs if there is an existing sign and my understanding is that Disney has signs made up for everything in their culture.
Thanks for any suggestions.

We are traveling Memorial Day weekend and I was hoping to get signs ahead of time so that we can learn with what we have at home.

I have found the signs for Mickey, Donald, and Goofy.

(This is important b/c my son always wants to know what something is and seeks the signs.)

I found this website by googling "Disney Sign Language"

http://media-dis-n-dat.blogspot.com/2008/07/sign-language-disney-world-style.html

It mentions a video of the special signs, but I don't have time to find it right now, dinner is calling.
I think your best option is to go to some of the interpreted shows and speak with the interpreters about the signs. I know some of them but unless you have VP or an internet camera it would be difficult to explain.

easy one though is Belle BEAUTIFUL GIRL
Beast is just the sign for beast or monster
seen various sings for Pooh

Hi there,
I currently have a non verbal son on the ASD and I work with a kindergartner with speech Apraxia and she also has excellent receptive communication and needs help with expressive communication. I have found that signing along with boardmaker or PECS (picture exchange communication) pictures works wonderfully with her. We use sign and PECS with my son as well and both of them have augmentative communication devices that work with PECS. If you can get some of the pictures then you can teach him the signs that go with them and if he cannot remember while you are there he can use the pics to show you what his needs and wants are (we put them on a big ring, easy to flip through). Just an added idea that might help!
Carrie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter