Disney better as a kid or a teen?

TheNovice

Earning My Ears
Hello all, I have been trying to think hard about this question for a while now. Let me break it down- I am wondering if you all have grown to love Disney more as you have moved from childhood into your teen years or if you feel the novelty and magic of it has dwindled?

Personally, I am 18 and have been to WDW about 6 or 7 times and I feel that, while I loved going as a kid, it has intensified over the last 2 trips were my first 2 as a teen.

I always thought that Disney would be a temporary passion of mine that would become diminished as I left my childhood behind, however I feel that there are so many things about Disney that, while you can appreciate them as a child, you cannot truly understand until you have the mental capacity ans experience in life that a teen has.

What are your thoughts on the development of the love for Disney as we move from childhood to teenage years and even into adulthood?

I'd love to hear your personal stories or general comments!

Thanks so much in advance,

Dylan

That's because it's two different experiences. As a kid, you're basically limited to a few certain things (i.e. character greets, certain attractions, limited ability to explore on your own), and you don't have an understanding of how much truly goes into the daily operations of Disney Resorts and Disney parks.

During the teen years it's really fair game. You have a basic understanding of operations, you get to do everything you did as a kid (minus go into the Winnie the Pooh tree ;)), have the freedom of going off and exploring on your own, and experience all the attractions. Not to mention, after 16 years of age you can take tours of certain parks!

Anyway, all the best :)

Have a Magical Day!
Jonathan

I loved going as a kid, but after 4 Disney trips, i'm not going to lie, but I got tired of Disney World. I agree that there is more to do as a kid, but I think it will be fun when I go in June as a 15 year old. Probably mostly because they have some new attractions like New Fantasy Land. I probably only got tired of it because I had ridden all of the rides.

Even as a teen, I still travel around the parks with my family. It's too much work to try to meet up and we mostly all enjoy the same things.

Hm...

Well, as a kid, everything seemed more magical. Seeing the princesses made my day. And while I still get happy to see characters and such, it's just not the same, you know? But as a teenager you can really understand it more. How lucky you are to get to go there, and you can ride the rides like Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster- at least for me, I couldn't ride those when I was younger.

Overall, I'd say it's a bit of both

As a kid it was way more magical. But as a teenager, I feel like I enjoy it more. As a kid you can't really get the full experience (you're not tall enough, things are scary, etc). Plus it's hard for me to remember things from trips as a kid. I'm 18 and have been around 5ish times as a kid, and over 10 times as a teenager. I can't even remember my first trip, and the only thing I remember about my second trip is watching the fireworks with my grandma in MK.

I have two brothers and I bet they would disagree with me. They both love Disney, but the more we do it as teenagers, the more tired of it they get. I guess, typically girls are more into it than boys as you get older (not all the time, just a lot of the time).

Very interesting points made by all!

MickeyisBeast - I think you hit the nail on the head "more magical" as a kid, yet you (and I too) "enjoy it more" as a teen.

For me I still feel as it it's magical, especially during the Wishes show and other small moment, but in a different sense. More like a respect than an awe (which is how I saw it all as a child)

I think perhaps as we grow and bring our own children for the first time there will be another side to the magic and awesomeness of the parks that we have yet to experience.

As I never went as a 'little kid', I say being a teen! You're tall enough to ride and do everything, you can ride things alone if need be, etc, etc.:)

I went to WDW 11 times as a kid but I barely remember anything from these trips. I have gone twice as a teen and to tell you the truth, I really do enjoy it more and I have grown to love Disney more over the years because it has basically become my "home away from home". It still does feel "magical" to me every time I go, even though I'm not a kid anymore. And as a teen, I get to experience so much more at WDW that I never experienced as a kid, which does make me enjoy it even more every time I go.

Well, I've been from preschool age to kid age to teen age.

Kid- I remember meeting my favorite characters, going on some nice rides, and eating good food. But because I was little (if we're talking 5 or younger) I was pushed around in a stroller and couldn't really walk for myself most of the time. I could start walking around by myself as I got older, of course, but there was still some stuff that I could sort of do and not do.

Teen- I like being able to go on more rollercoasters. While I can't do Rock 'n Rollercoaster or anything like that, I'm just fine with all the rides I love. I'll admit that rides I've ridden over and over sometimes loose their touch, there's still always something new to do. I tend to appreciate Epcot more as I get older. I find most enjoyment in travelling the "countries", eating at new places that I couldn't really go to as a kid and I think some of the stuff they have their for teens can be cool.

Hmm, I'd probably pick teen because I can do more.

I mean, I'm not particularly sold on extreme rollercoasters, especially because I can't do them. However though, I learned to appreciate the shows more, except for Flights of Wonder. I also find it kind of nice to be able to know where everything is, not even bothering to pick up a map unless I feel like picking up a map.

I think it's better as a teen. While I enjoyed my family's WDW trips as a kid I love them so much more now. I can appreciate the magic more. And there's nothing stopping me from doing everything I loved doing as a kid, and enjoying it just as much while having an even better understanding and appreciation for the parks.

I think that it a more fun when you can remember the trip, so I think that it's good to go when you're old enough to remember. I went to Disney once when I was 7 and can barely remember anything about it.

I feel like Disney is more magical for me as a teen. When I was younger I lived about 3 hours from WDW and I went at least twice a year until I was 14, so I have had a lot of "kid" experiences with WDW. I have only been 3 times as a teenager and I appreciate the design and the history of Disney a lot more. I think as a kid I didn't know how much effort was put into making the magic happen for the guests, but now that I do the magical experiences I have there come with a lot more appreciation. I am 18 now and I am going again in June, which I am totally beyond excited for. I grew up with Disney, which probably has something to do with why I love it so much, but as I keep getting older I like it even more.

I loved going as a kid, but after 4 Disney trips, i'm not going to lie, but I got tired of Disney World. I agree that there is more to do as a kid, but I think it will be fun when I go in June as a 15 year old. Probably mostly because they have some new attractions like New Fantasy Land. I probably only got tired of it because I had ridden all of the rides. Even as a teen, I still travel around the parks with my family. It's too much work to try to meet up and we mostly all enjoy the same things.

What day in June? I'm gonna be 15 on June 14! Anyways, it's more fun as a teen! I'm already excited and I have no idea when I'm moving to Florida!

I'd say when you're younger it feels more real, as a little kid you can suspend your disbelief and really get immersed in the magic of it all, but when you're older you can better appreciate what actually goes into it, and how things work. Me and my family love trying to figure out exactly how they do certain things (and we STILL can't figure out how they do the ghosts in the Haunted Mansion, and it's driving me crazy!) and I love the detailed design of queue areas and stuff, ESPECIALLY Cars Land. Also, when you're older you can do roller coasters! And I don't think the magic totally goes away when you're a teenager, it just kind of takes on a different aspect.
Although to be honest, I don't remember much about my Disney trip when I was little except that all I wanted to do was small world... But I love it as a teen, and I'm not tired of it yet!

Personally I'd say as a teen because I love knowing how everything works and learning more and more about the behind the scenes stuff and all of the backstories. I think it makes it even more magical

I've been all throughout my life from the age of two to now :) My Disney passion has DEFINITELY intensified as I got older. But I really have to say, it is much more magical as a teen because I know how much hard work is put into opening the parks every day. I can understand why Walt created this happy place and I can appreciate it even more. As a kid, I never cried at Wishes! but now with all my understanding of everything Disney stands for and all the magic it holds, I can't help but shed tears when I watch the show now. :blush: Sooooo..yes! Better as a teen. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter