• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney bought land in South Louisiana ????

TLHB70

DIS Veteran
I was born in South Louisiana and lived there until 2002. My family and DH's family still live there. We had a week long trip to visit them last week. Rumors are flying that Disney just purchased some land in Livingston Parish. Mom told me the amount of land; I cannot remember it now. It is definitely not enough for another WDW. Rumors are saying that Disney is planning to build a water park there. This rumor has been going around for years. However, this week two people told my brother that it was "confirmed." One of those people works for the local electric company. The other person is a DVC owner. I was just wondering if any of you have heard of these rumors.

Same rumor....different state.

We have heard the same thing here in south Mississippi.....our source is a land survey employee.
:lmao:

Is there a state which hasn't had a rumored land transaction where Disney was suggested to somehow be responsible?

Just of the top of my head, I can think of Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee, Colorado, Hawaii, Missiouri, and Texas.

I think if you search back far enough on here, you'll probably find the same rumor for each of the 50 states. Even if Disney did actually buy some property, it's a very large company. It may have nothing to do with their theme parks or resorts. Maybe it's a warehouse for Disney Store merchandise, a distribution center for DVDs, or an office area where they'll run a computer system or phone bank. It's always fun to hope, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yes, these types of rumors have been around for a long time.

However, we do have to take them a little more seriously now, since Disney has already said they are looking for locations to build hotels, small parks, entertainment districts, etc. Hawaii, one of those long rumored locations, was confirmed last week.

I haven't heard about anything going on in Louisiana though.

My dad once told me that Disney was looking at land in Massachusetts or New Hampshire at once point. For all I know it was to placate me from bugging them about going to WDW... :)

This would have been somewhere around 25-30 years ago.

La doesn't seem like a good fit though. It's too close to Orlando and they think it would siphon off visitors. As has been said, Disney likes to test these things in places like Chicago. Big enough that there's a built in market, far enough from Orlando and Anaheim that it won't put a major dent in bookings.

Branson is probably the furthest south they would go. Texas is a little to close to Anaheim I think.

Well Hello from Livingston Parish. I'm SURE that with this being election time and all that if Disney bought ANYTHING here that MANY people would be standing up and taking credit for it. :rolleyes1 :rolleyes: :lmao: That said, your post is the first I've heard of the rumor.

It's probably a rumor that is going around because of all the new construction slated to happen here. We are about to see the Bass Pro be completed. There's Juban Crossing (upscale community/shopping area) ; Suma Crossing (juban crossing *light*:rotfl: ); The new hospital..... Then there's also the I-10/I-12 bypass (AKA: The loop) that is slated to run right out my back door if things go *the way they are supposed to*. :sad2:

Somebody probably heard a *wouldn't it be cool if Disney..." type conversation and got a little ahead of themselves. ;)

Since you have a new Bass Pro Shop if it isnt a rumor it may be an ESPN club. They usually put them in a metro area. They are currently located in Chicago, Vegas, DC and a few other places

Since you have a new Bass Pro Shop if it isnt a rumor it may be an ESPN club. They usually put them in a metro area. They are currently located in Chicago, Vegas, DC and a few other places

*possible* But that would go over better next door in Baton Rouge. (LSU there and all) And still, I stand by my assumptions that if Dis bought ANTHING in the parish that our politicians would be shouting it from the rooftops to take credit for it. (Or leaking it to the media if it were supposed to be kept quiet.:sad2: ) Louisiana politics and all....:rolleyes1

OH...eta that Liv Parish is SO not a metro area! LOL! It's a neighbor to Baton rouge....which doesn't come CLOSE to Chicago, Vegas, DC, etc...

Hello from right across the Parish line in TANGIPAHOA PARISH. There were RUMORS everywhere back in the 60's and 70's that Disney looked at a LARGE TRACT of land in rural ROBERT. I am not that old but my grandfather told me they came and looked but that was all it was. SO if Disney is buying anything in Livingston I would imagine I wont be able to ride "Tickfaw River Rapids" and eat at "TIN LIZZYS CHARACTER MEAL" any time in my lifetime. (only someone from here will understand Tickfaw and Tin Lizzys) But I had to say it. BTW I am from Ponchatoula (for anyone who know the place)

There are also rumors flying that Disney has bought a large tract of land in northern Tangipahoa Parish. Of course this land purchase is next to the elusive "Louisiana Superspeedway" site.

If they did buy the land, it was probably just as an investment. I couldn't see them actually putting a park here.

Of course, Disney wouldn't have to build any thrill rides, because after the customers arrived via I-55, they wouldn't want to be jostled, jerked, or shaken again for a while!!!

There are also rumors flying that Disney has bought a large tract of land in northern Tangipahoa Parish. Of course this land purchase is next to the elusive "Louisiana Superspeedway" site.

If they did buy the land, it was probably just as an investment. I couldn't see them actually putting a park here.

Of course, Disney wouldn't have to build any thrill rides, because after the customers arrived via I-55, they wouldn't want to be jostled, jerked, or shaken again for a while!!!

Heck, switching from I-55 to I-12 is enough of a thrill sometimes to last a person for days! :rotfl2:

I didn't know they were talking about a race track over there. We had horse racing rumors here for a good 10 years. :rolleyes: Then we got the car racing rumors. :rolleyes1 Thank heavens we are getting the hospital in satsuma! Maybe it's the end of the rumors abt that tract of land for good! :thumbsup2

ETA: I *LOVE* your screen name! :)

Heck, switching from I-55 to I-12 is enough of a thrill sometimes to last a person for days! :rotfl2:

I didn't know they were talking about a race track over there. We had horse racing rumors here for a good 10 years. :rolleyes: Then we got the car racing rumors. :rolleyes1 Thank heavens we are getting the hospital in satsuma! Maybe it's the end of the rumors abt that tract of land for good! :thumbsup2

ETA: I *LOVE* your screen name! :)

Yeah. The race track is supposed to be along I-55 between Tangipahoa and Kentwood. They've cleared the land, but that's about it.

I'm with you about that I-55 to I-12 intersection. I absolutely hate it. If we're going east on I-12, I'll get off at 190 and actually go through Hammond to avoid it.

Thanks for the compliment on my screen name. *LOVE* yours too...it just screams Louisiana!!!

It's kind of funny that I stumbled across this post. A few weeks ago, I went on a research rampage about Disney, New Orleans, and Mobile. I live in Mobile, and New Orleans is like a second home to me, and I wanted to put a couple of things to rest. There are all these stories that Walt looked into building Disney World in Mobile and in New Orleans. Of course, I think every city in the country has the same story. I remember being told that the infamous "exit to nowhere" right outside of New Orleans when you're on I-10 heading East was built as an exit for what was supposed to be Disney World, but Walt opted for Orlando instead at the last minute. I managed to find a little bit of evidence about that, but I couldn't find a scrap of anything about WDW being in Mobile.

And, incidentally, I've there's a race track being built in my little suburb of Mobile, Saraland, which is two seconds away from the city of Satsuma. Irony, no?€

Is there a state which hasn't had a rumored land transaction where Disney was suggested to somehow be responsible?

Just of the top of my head, I can think of Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee, Colorado, Hawaii, Missiouri, and Texas.

No Rumor in Chicago :-( Too Cold in the winter here... Of course we do get a COOL DVC Sales place and HAD Disney quest until Disney pulled the plug.

I am so sorry that I am just now getting back to this post. The very day that I posted this thread, my computer CRASHED!!!!!!!!!!! I have been without it for two weeks!!!!!!!! :eek: :scared: DH just brought it home to me last night, and I am in the process of catching up on emails.
I haven't read all of your posts yet. I can't wait to catch up.
For now, let me say that I talked to my mom about this issue again this past weekend. She said that a few people told her that Disney has rented office space in the town where the land has been purchased. Also, that local newspaper had a business article that mentioned "theme park" but Disney's name was not mentioned.

ETA: I just finished reading all of your reply posts. For you local Livingston Parish posters, the paper was the Livingston Parish News. It was a business section article.......maybe an editorial..........I can't remember. I am going to send my mom the link to this post. She may be able to tell me more later by email.

I agree with the interstate exchanges being like thrill rides. We were just down visiting a couple of weeks ago. The traffic was crazy!! It is definitely worse than it was when I was growing up there.
BTW, I lived in Livingston Parish. I was raised in Satsuma and moved to Walker when I married. We lived in Walker until 2002. All of my family still lives in Satsuma. DH's family lives in Watson.

I sent Mom the link. She just sent me an email and said that the newspaper article was Saturday's Baton Rouge Advocate on the front page of the business section.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter