Disney Buses

What best describes you and Disney buses?

• I love not having to drive on vacation!

Votes: 111 62.4%
  • I tolerate the buses because _____, but I don't like them.

Votes: 33 18.5%
  • I avoid the buses at all cost.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • (answer the OP didn't think of)

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters
We used to always drive, but flew last time and will again next time. While we usually take the buses, I love having the option of driving especially when I want to be at a park well before rope drop but don't want to factor in how long to wait for the bus (when Pandora first opened is a good example). I also love getting in my own vehicle after a long day with with the A/C blasting and my music. But DH usually is the one driving and I know he'd rather not drive (he wants a break -- we deal with a lot of traffic every day at home).

But, we usually always stay at one of the Crescent Lake resorts so we can walk to both HS and Epcot. That helps A LOT! So, I don't really hate the buses, but I don't really enjoy them either (I would say waiting is the worst part -- or having to stand after a long day).

And if you get lucky you get to meet some really fun people.
This!

In my 16 years of going to WDW,I estimate I have met Guests from around 20 Countries and most States on WDW buses.

To us,especially after so many WDW trips,meeting other Guests is one of the most enjoyable aspects of a WDW trip.

We always say going to WDW is like going to the Olympics in terms of Countries represented! :)

In my 16 years of going to WDW,I estimate I have met Guests from around 20 Countries and most States on WDW buses.

That reminds me of a funny bus story! When DS was around 9 or 10, he struck up a conversation with another boy about the same age on the bus from the resort. About halfway through, they discover that they are from "neighboring towns" - small world, right? By the time we got to the park, however, they've realized that there is a town A and town B in both Massachusetts and Nova Scotia! :rotfl:

We typically use the buses and rarely drive even when we have our car. I’m not a fan. I have trouble with motion sickness and riding sideways or standing makes me queasy and buses in general are not a smooth ride. We almost always stay until closing and the wait for the bus at the end of a long day is miserable. Fortunately our DVC home resort is the Boardwalk and we can easily walk to and from 2 parks. We love staying at the Animal Kingdom because of seeing the animals from our balcony, but busing to all 4 parks is a huge drawback.

This is probably a spin-off of many different threads, as I hear the same complaints a lot (so not picking on anyone specifically) - but I don't quite get what people have against the buses? :confused3

(Or I guess, more accurately, I don't get the level of dislike for the buses.) I do, of course, understand that people don't enjoy waiting for them, but to me, that's far outweighed by not having to drive! - Driving in an unfamiliar area is super stressful to me (and my DH). I'd much rather leave it to a professional while I talk with my family, plan my park adventures, or review the pics I took at the end of the day.

Plus, isn't one bus better for the environment than 20 cars? And wouldn't the traffic and parking be far worse if we all drove?
I feel the same - especially the last 2 sentences.

I ticked the box 'reply OP didn't think of'
Because I have no complaints about the busses.
I love that the drivers are; for the most part, cheery and helpful.
They are a mine of information and happy to share it.
OK, so maybe we have to wait a while sometimes, but they get us where we want to be with minimal fuss.

I don't usually mind the bus. With my GS about 4 years ago, we stayed at POP and it was almost always fine.
EXCEPT at MK park close. A long, long line and a few scooters. We finally made it to near the front, and a scooter came along with about 12 family members. Of course, the scooters get loaded first and then their family. Then the line started to enter. By the time my 5 year old GS and I got on, it was standing-room only. It was PACKED full.
Everyone was tired and it was dark, but one of my pet peeves was that there were many very small children sitting in their own seats next to parents, allowing no one else to sit. I know kids get their own seat, and that's not the issue. The issue was more than half the time, the kids would sit in moms' laps anyway. Just one mom holding that child would have kept them from bouncing around incessantly (safer) AND given someone a seat.
My GS fell down on a curve, and a nice person let him sit on the little step at her feet.

After that, we drove everywhere.

I don't usually mind the bus. With my GS about 4 years ago, we stayed at POP and it was almost always fine.
EXCEPT at MK park close. A long, long line and a few scooters. We finally made it to near the front, and a scooter came along with about 12 family members. Of course, the scooters get loaded first and then their family. Then the line started to enter. By the time my 5 year old GS and I got on, it was standing-room only. It was PACKED full.
Everyone was tired and it was dark, but one of my pet peeves was that there were many very small children sitting in their own seats next to parents, allowing no one else to sit. I know kids get their own seat, and that's not the issue. The issue was more than half the time, the kids would sit in moms' laps anyway. Just one mom holding that child would have kept them from bouncing around incessantly (safer) AND given someone a seat.
My GS fell down on a curve, and a nice person let him sit on the little step at her feet.

After that, we drove everywhere.

Yep that is an issue for me. There are way too many people on these buses at night and it’s not safe. Everyone is tired and I chalk it up to “theme park brain” not being the most considerate. But Disney needs more buses or maybe the gondola system will relieve some of it.

At Universal, in the am a lot of people did walk to the parks so not crowded but at night, many more people will ride the bus. Maybe a few people standing but never the number that stand on a Disney bus.

I did the bus thing ONCE and won't do it again- I hate having to wait for a bus, when I want to leave I want to go, not hang around waiting in a line for a bus. Plus I HATE being on any type of public transportation with people body to body, I like my space.

We drive to Orlando for 100% of our WDW visits, the only time we fly is if it's work related, or if we can't all come at the same time. I don't mind driving in Orlando, we know it very well, but when staying on resort, we don't even think about it for going to parks, it's buses every time. It's just part of the deal. We do drive to Disney Springs, though, unless we are staying at Saratoga or Key West, then we walk or take the boat.

It would be interesting to "race" someone in their car vs. a bus.

Interesting concept - commuting on public transportation = refugee status. The millions of people who commute to work daily by bus would tend to disagree, I'd think.

I think the scenario is a little different no? Or are you just trying to incite some type of argument from me? Really? Comparing spending thousands of dollars on a vacation and expecting at least decent transportation from those dollars is a little different than commuting to work on the bus everyday. (And for reference, I used to commute to NYC everyday for work on a bus, and yes, I STILL felt like a refugee, lol).

We did a family vacation with our best friends back in 2012 and stayed at POR. They preferred to drive and we liked the busses. We didn't stay together the whole day, just met for dinner and when we were all at the resort to swim. One morning we discovered that our plans were the same and we were all going to Magic Kingdom that day. We left the rooms at the same time, them for the parking lot and us for the bus. Guess who found each other at the entrance. Yep. We did. Both families arrived at the same time. Where we had to wait on a bus they had to wait for the monorail. I realize it doesn't always work out like that but it still cemented busses for my husband. I grew up in a touristy area in Florida and I hate driving with people who don't know where they are going. My nerves would be bad before getting where I am going. No thanks.

We did a family vacation with our best friends back in 2012 and stayed at POR. They preferred to drive and we liked the busses. We didn't stay together the whole day, just met for dinner and when we were all at the resort to swim. One morning we discovered that our plans were the same and we were all going to Magic Kingdom that day. We left the rooms at the same time, them for the parking lot and us for the bus. Guess who found each other at the entrance. Yep. We did. Both families arrived at the same time. Where we had to wait on a bus they had to wait for the monorail. I realize it doesn't always work out like that but it still cemented busses for my husband. I grew up in a touristy area in Florida and I hate driving with people who don't know where they are going. My nerves would be bad before getting where I am going. No thanks.
MK is really the exception though because of TTC. It is generally the case that for the other parks driving is faster.

After a disastrous experience with the buses at WDW in 2002 my wife has refused to let me board another one. She used them this summer, and said I would probably much prefer the new system, but I'm just going to play it safe and either drive myself or take an Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van when I'm there in a couple of weeks.

We used them the last trip from POR and I really disliked them. It was so frustrating to see busses come for other parks multiple times while you're waiting for that one bus to AK, for example. Then when it finally arrives, the number of people and scooters waiting to get on is more than the bus can hold (since it already picked up people at other bus stops in POR) and you end up waiting more time for the next one to come. Yes, the monitors at the bus stops help to tell you when a bus is coming, but it doesn't tell you when it's near capacity. Waiting to get back at park close was even worse. Except for going to MK, I'd much rather rent a car and drive to the parks.

I rode the bus once and never again. Standing waiting, exhaust fumes, standing in the bus. No thanks.

Our car is comfy, we charge our phones and have a bit of peace and quiet. We do a lot of resort dining. Driving is very efficient.

WDW is easy to drive and everything is well marked.

I see I am in the minority.

have a bit of peace and quiet.
I liked this aspect too of our rental car. I don't get easily overwhelmed but it was quite nice to take the parking tram and then ahhhhhh relax in the car without a whole bunch of hubub noise that can come with a bus. We also used our car at least 2 times for souvenirs that we had gotten that was just easier to take with us when we left in the mid-day when we park hopped or at night when we were going back to the resort as opposed to sending the packages back to the resort's gift shop--we did that with other souvenirs just not all of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter