• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney (call me naive )

Wendy1985

Loves everything fitness
Why cant Disney pay its employees not to work, they can pay for a updated sign but cant give there employees not to work, Disney has deep pockets and I believe can bring everyone back eventually

It's a numbers game. Say you paid each CM $10/hour (for round numbers) x 40 hours/week * 28,000 = $11.2 MILLION, per week. The sign is cosmetic changes, maybe $50k-$100k total, and it was going to need maintenance NMW.

Frustrating, I know. Disney has to get entrenched for the long haul.

if you combine the pockets of every single person plus every single company in this country, you get a deeper pocket than Disney's right?

So then why are we asking Disney to do that which collectively we have been unwilling to do over the last 40-50 years or so.

Why can't we have a proper safety net and one that people don't have to jump through 50 hoops deliberately designed to make it a pain in the rear to use?
Why can't we have universal health coverage. Cobra. That's aptly named. Just as people lose their jobs, to continue health coverage, they get a huge bite taken out of them.

Last edited:

So then why are we asking Disney to do that which collectively we have been unwilling to do over the last 40-50 years or so.

To be fair, Disney has traded for years on a reputation of being far and away above everyone else, able to do the extraordinary, the magical, the gold standard, etc. So it's not entirely unexpected or undeserved that some would have an expectation that Disney could go above and beyond.

Paying for a sign is different than paying tens of thousands of people who are not working a wage and their benefits. Disney's revenue is down significantly. Deep pockets only go so far and there are expenses being incurred that must be paid or that never go away.

Companies have to figure out how to survive this pandemic for the long-term. It isn't nearly as easy as arm-chair quarterbacking from people not experienced with finance or managing a business.

Paying for a sign is different than paying tens of thousands of people who are not working a wage and their benefits. Disney's revenue is down significantly. Deep pockets only go so far and there are expenses being incurred that must be paid or that never go away.

Companies have to figure out how to survive this pandemic for the long-term. It isn't nearly as easy as arm-chair quarterbacking from people not experienced with finance or managing a business.

This exactly. They are trying to survive long term. There is really no choice or win here for them.

To be fair, Disney has traded for years on a reputation of being far and away above everyone else, able to do the extraordinary, the magical, the gold standard, etc. So it's not entirely unexpected or undeserved that some would have an expectation that Disney could go above and beyond.

Their marketing is genius. My significant other refers to it as the Disney Koolaid.

if you combine the pockets of every single person plus every single company in this country, you get a deeper pocket than Disney's right?

Why can't we have a proper safety net and one that people don't have to jump through 50 hoops deliberately designed to make it a pain in the rear to use?
Why can't we have universal health coverage. Cobra. That's aptly named. Just as people lose their jobs, to continue health coverage, they get a huge bite taken out of them.

You’d have to move to Denmark for that kind of love.

Why cant Disney pay its employees not to work, they can pay for a updated sign but cant give there employees not to work, Disney has deep pockets and I believe can bring everyone back eventually
I don’t think it’s naive to want the CMs to be taken care of. They are what has made WDW the special place it is. I also believe that Disney will survive and bring many of them back at some point.

However, part of that comeback is maintaining the infrastructure of the resort, including those signs. The cost of maintenance, spread over several years between repainting, is a very small drop in the bucket compared to maintaining payroll for people who are not working. Also, the funds for labor costs and the funds for structural maintenance would not be coming out of the same budget. The cuts as far as new attractions or simplifying plans for the Epcot redo would be more likely to come out of the same budget as sign maintenance, and they have been making cuts in that area as well.

No company can survive a major downturn like this without making cuts. My company just went through the third set of layoffs this year, and I am not naive enough to think they are the last. But at the same time, I understand the cuts and believe if our company survives, many of the people who have been laid off will be asked to come back. Whether they want to is a whole different story.

Wendy, I'm seriously just helping you out.......it's spelt: naïve. ;)

Don't worry I'm the one that had to be corrected on how to spell the word provinces of Canada a couple of weeks ago.

Wendy, I'm seriously just helping you out.......it's spelt: naïve. ;)

Don't worry I'm the one that had to be corrected on how to spell the word provinces of Canada a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you I corrected it, and luckily I did not see that post

The company is already losing money by having to keep some parks closed and others at limited capacity. They continue to incur expenses at Disneyland while it sits empty and with no revenue being generated by guests. They are also responsible to their shareholders to bleed as little money as possible right now. Non-working cast members are an easy expense to cut. It's sad that so many people are hurting, but that's the way business works.

I feel like the biggest problem is everyone thinks “oh. But it’s Disney” like they owe us some kind of explanation (general you not anyone specific) as has been stated it’s a business. They are losing money, millions probably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter