Disney Christmas week questions

monica9

DIS Veteran
I know mk is busy in dec 25,26 and 31 but how about the rest of the parks? And when they talk about Disney being crazy busy during that week are they referring to the whole week or just those few days? We are planning to go sat dec 21- sat dec 28 2019. We don't care about going to mk on Christmas Day but hoping it's not out of control the other days. This is the only time we can plan a big family vacation. I'm used to going in nov or dec during slow weeks but have been there during other busy times in the summer and first couple days of food and wine.
If this is the only week (besides spring break in April but I want my parents to experience Christmas there) would you go if you avoided mk in dec 25?

It's the absolute busiest time of the year to go, all parks. I left on the 23rd a few years ago and the crowds were already getting to be unbearable. Personally, I would avoid it at all costs, but obviously enough people think it's still worth it to go at that time.

We'll be there from the 20-28 as school breaks are the only time that we can go. We once took our kids out of school for a week for a vacation that we booked a year before we moved to our new town/state, and had to appear in truancy court as a result. So now we only go places during break. It will be crazy! There is no doubt in that. The last time that we went to WDW at Christmas was in 2007 and we left by the 23rd. It was terrible and picking up each day we were there. A few years ago we were at DLR from Dec 29-Jan 5 and said that we would NEVER go to DLR on New Years Eve ever again!

Our plan is to hit the parks early in the day and bail in the afternoon. Flexibility will be key to maintaining our sanity. We do have dining ressies for Christmas dinner in the MK so we will be there with the crowds and hopefully bring our patience with us.

The week between Christmas and New years is the busiest week of the entire year. Every park, all week.

Yeah... don't go during Christmas if you can help it. The other parks do get busy. A wave of people who were turned away from mk because of capacity usually hits the other parks around 10-11am.

Spring break and Thanksgiving will be crowded too, but not nearly as much. You can have a good time with some extra planning.

I know mk is busy in dec 25,26 and 31 but how about the rest of the parks? And when they talk about Disney being crazy busy during that week are they referring to the whole week or just those few days? We are planning to go sat dec 21- sat dec 28 2019. We don't care about going to mk on Christmas Day but hoping it's not out of control the other days. This is the only time we can plan a big family vacation. I'm used to going in nov or dec during slow weeks but have been there during other busy times in the summer and first couple days of food and wine.
If this is the only week (besides spring break in April but I want my parents to experience Christmas there) would you go if you avoided mk in dec 25?

Going our 8th time in 9 years. We started going when I was in college. With my sister being a teacher, me being in college and now working a regular 9-5 job, it's also the only time we can really get away.
We usually go 12/24-1/1, but changed to 12/25-1/1 this year, as Xmas Eve flights were incredibly expensive. Hopefully I can quash any nervousness or hesitation you may have.

First, let's get this out of the way:

- It's crowded. It's very crowded. Is it "OMG this is so crowded I'll never do it again?" Well, that depends. I work in NYC so I'm used to the crowds. Even so, on 12/31 I get a little uneasy with the crowds. Having been so many times and now that we stay at Beach Club, we elect to do a late dinner then watch the fireworks from the boat pier outside YC, rather than brave the crowds at EPCOT.
- It's probably a bit more crowded than the worst Spring Break crowds, but nothing you've never seen before. Pretty much, if you've been during Spring Break, expect a little worse for Christmas.
- You'll need to dedicate a little more time to travel. Buses will take a bit longer as there will be a bit more traffic going into and out of the parks. This is especially evident on NYE. You'll notice on 12/30 that there are some coach buses being contracted for Disney. Travel as little as possible and leave about 1.5-2 hours of travel time on 12/25 and 12/31.
- MK will hit a Phase 2 or 3 closure on 12/25 and most likely 12/27 and/or 12/28. You'll notice people come in waves. Most stay during your dates and leave on 12/28. It'll hit at least a Phase 3 closure on 12/31.
- With that said - despite the crowds and the copious planning we need to do—we wouldn't trade it in for ANYTHING. We absolutely love our Christmas vacation. It's our time together. At home, we'd go back to our normal lives on 12/26. In Disney, we wake up together and enjoy "another day of Christmas." Sure, we have our moments, but nothing beats it.

To Answer your questions:
Magic Kingdom will be very crowded on 12/25, but we do it every year.
- The morning EMH will be from 7am-8am. Get there for rope drop (7am). We go straight to Space Mountain, followed by Buzz Lightyear. Then we get a few photos in front of the castle and/or with Pluto in Town Square. As the park opens to the public, we usually hit Pirates. Then we'll do breakfast—either a sit-down ADR or quick service (BOG). After our breakfast, it'll be like 10am. The park is now starting to fill up. By 10 or 11, Main Street will be difficult to navigate and the area near Small World will be flooded with people. We schedule a FP+ for Thunder Mountain for 10am-11am. We'll go on around 10:30am. After Thunder Mountain, we'll line up in Frontierland for the 12pm parade. After it passes, we'll go to our FP+ for Jungle Cruise (12:30pm-1:30pm). Then we'll have a 7DMT FP+ for 2pm-3pm. After riding 7DMT, we'll leave. It's WAYYY too crowded by then. However, in the time we're at the park, we've done Space Mountain, Buzz, photos on Main Street/with Pluto, Pirates, breakfast, Thunder Mountain, a parade, a castle show, 7DMT and Jungle Cruise. That's a great day, seeing as it's so crowded.
- In past years, DAK was the least crowded park, however, that can change. When the construction started at DHS 2 years ago, we assumed it'd be the least crowded park all week - but with Star Wars coming out around Christmas, it was very crowded. I'd say EPCOT may be your best bet if you're avoiding MK. It's spread out and there's plenty to do with the Holidays Around the World.

You said you've been there during Nov and Dec, so I don't have to tell you to step outside the parks and enjoy the resort decorations. It's breathtaking. Pretty much, you'll be fine so long as you:

- Plan: seriously - look at park maps and plan attractions near one another. Keep in mind that you can walk the entire Main Street through the Emporium—comes in handy during crowded times.
- Find your spot early for fireworks and parades. About 1-1.5 hour early.
- Take breaks. We always go back to the hotel to nap or go in the pool during the afternoon, then return at night. Even if you're not tired, you'll need a break from the crowds.
- Enjoy it. You're in the happiest place on earth during the happiest day and time—remember that!

Going our 8th time in 9 years. We started going when I was in college. With my sister being a teacher, me being in college and now working a regular 9-5 job, it's also the only time we can really get away.
We usually go 12/24-1/1, but changed to 12/25-1/1 this year, as Xmas Eve flights were incredibly expensive. Hopefully I can quash any nervousness or hesitation you may have.

- It's crowded. It's very crowded. Is it "OMG this is so crowded I'll never do it again?" Well, that depends. I work in NYC so I'm used to the crowds. Even so, on 12/31 I get a little uneasy with the crowds. Having been so many times and now that we stay at Beach Club, we elect to do a late dinner then watch the fireworks from the boat pier outside YC, rather than brave the crowds at EPCOT.
- It's probably a bit more crowded than the worst Spring Break crowds, but nothing you've never seen before. Pretty much, if you've been during Spring Break, expect a little worse for Christmas.
- You'll need to dedicate a little more time to travel. Buses will take a bit longer as there will be a bit more traffic going into and out of the parks. This is especially evident on NYE. You'll notice on 12/30 that there are some coach buses being contracted for Disney. Travel as little as possible and leave about 1.5-2 hours of travel time on 12/25 and 12/31.
- MK will hit a Phase 2 or 3 closure on 12/25 and most likely 12/27 and/or 12/28. You'll notice people come in waves. Most stay during your dates and leave on 12/28. It'll hit at least a Phase 3 closure on 12/31.
- With that said - despite the crowds and the copious planning we need to do—we wouldn't trade it in for ANYTHING. We absolutely love our Christmas vacation. It's our time together. At home, we'd go back to our normal lives on 12/26. In Disney, we wake up together and enjoy "another day of Christmas." Sure, we have our moments, but nothing beats it.

- The morning EMH will be from 7am-8am. Get there for rope drop (7am). We go straight to Space Mountain, followed by Buzz Lightyear. Then we get a few photos in front of the castle and/or with Pluto in Town Square. As the park opens to the public, we usually hit Pirates. Then we'll do breakfast—either a sit-down ADR or quick service (BOG). After our breakfast, it'll be like 10am. The park is now starting to fill up. By 10 or 11, Main Street will be difficult to navigate and the area near Small World will be flooded with people. We schedule a FP+ for Thunder Mountain for 10am-11am. We'll go on around 10:30am. After Thunder Mountain, we'll line up in Frontierland for the 12pm parade. After it passes, we'll go to our FP+ for Jungle Cruise (12:30pm-1:30pm). Then we'll have a 7DMT FP+ for 2pm-3pm. After riding 7DMT, we'll leave. It's WAYYY too crowded by then. However, in the time we're at the park, we've done Space Mountain, Buzz, photos on Main Street/with Pluto, Pirates, breakfast, Thunder Mountain, a parade, a castle show, 7DMT and Jungle Cruise. That's a great day, seeing as it's so crowded.
- In past years, DAK was the least crowded park, however, that can change. When the construction started at DHS 2 years ago, we assumed it'd be the least crowded park all week - but with Star Wars coming out around Christmas, it was very crowded. I'd say EPCOT may be your best bet if you're avoiding MK. It's spread out and there's plenty to do with the Holidays Around the World.

You said you've been there during Nov and Dec, so I don't have to tell you to step outside the parks and enjoy the resort decorations. It's breathtaking. Pretty much, you'll be fine so long as you:

- Plan: seriously - look at park maps and plan attractions near one another. Keep in mind that you can walk the entire Main Street through the Emporium—comes in handy during crowded times.
- Take breaks. We always go back to the hotel to nap or go in the pool during the afternoon, then return at night. Even if you're not tired, you'll need a break from the crowds.
- Enjoy it. You're in the happiest place on earth during the happiest day and time—remember that!
Wow thank you for this thorough post. It is very very helpful. I'm glad you said Epcot is our best bet because that would probably be the park we would go to if we went to a park on Christmas Day. I'm wondering if "santa" comes to the resort room for the kids or if he decides to keep the presents home for when families get home from their vacation to open. I'm assuming a couple small gifts at the park from santa and then the rest he must leave home :-)
I've heard the deluxe resorts give you trees for your room to decorate. Is that true?
We are going this year the first week of December. Can't wait to see the Christmas decorations!

Wow thank you for this thorough post. It is very very helpful. I'm glad you said Epcot is our best bet because that would probably be the park we would go to if we went to a park on Christmas Day. I'm wondering if "santa" comes to the resort room for the kids or if he decides to keep the presents home for when families get home from their vacation to open. I'm assuming a couple small gifts at the park from santa and then the rest he must leave home :-)
I've heard the deluxe resorts give you trees for your room to decorate. Is that true?
We are going this year the first week of December. Can't wait to see the Christmas decorations!

EP isn't bad on Christmas day (we were there in 2015), but I would avoid the WS area in the evening when CP is being performed - you will barely be able to walk through the mid-section of WS.

As others have said, I wouldn't go anywhere near MK after Dec. 23. We went on Dec. 29, 2015 and could barely move. It's not fun.

The deluxe resorts do not give guests trees to decorate in their rooms. You can purchase a tree for your room from Disney Florist, but they are very expensive. You could also bring a small tree or have one delivered to the resort from Amazon, etc.

Thank you! So informative! Can you share how you toured the other parks during this crazy busy week?

Thank you! So informative! Can you share how you toured the other parks during this crazy busy week?

Absolutely. I wanna make sure I hit everything and have a very busy day tomorrow, but I'll definitely get to it by Friday. If you don't hear from me just quote my post as a reminder :)

I did write a free ebook (passion project) you can view it in my sig

We've gone pre-christmas before, but this year will be our first during christmas-NYE week. We are planning a lot of "extras" (dinner shows) to keep us out of the parks. We will be in the parks every morning, but hopefully the other diversions will keep us sane.

One question I have... when it's 10/10 and crazy crowded, do the FP+ queues slow down at all? I assume it's the same number of FPs available year-round (and based on ride loading data), but curious what it's like in real life during that week?

We've gone pre-christmas before, but this year will be our first during christmas-NYE week. We are planning a lot of "extras" (dinner shows) to keep us out of the parks. We will be in the parks every morning, but hopefully the other diversions will keep us sane.

One question I have... when it's 10/10 and crazy crowded, do the FP+ queues slow down at all? I assume it's the same number of FPs available year-round (and based on ride loading data), but curious what it's like in real life during that week?
I don't recall FP+ being that bad. It's not rainy season (that could cause more FP+ backups later in the day). The "advantage" of known 10/10 days, is Disney knows it, and seems to run rides at max capacity (slower times of the year they run fewer "trains" or boats, etc) and have staffing at max levels.

It's probably makes rope drop more important (if that is your thing), and remember MK will have 7am EMH. Otherwise, we tended to mostly do FP+ and shows.

FWIW ... We went during the Christmas to New Years week for the first time a couple of years ago and it was one of our very favorite trips!

It was crazy crowded but we found that getting to the parks at rope drop, carefully planning our fast pass selections and being flexible made it a very successful trip. We generally scheduled our fast passes for later in the morning as we hit some of the "biggies" as walk-on's first thing in the AM. As the parks began to get busy (started late morning ... getting closer to "crazy" at noon) we exited the park and did a little resort hopping ... the decorations are beautiful! We made most of our ADR's for lunches if they were in the parks or resorts for dinners. We generally returned to the park(s) in the evenings for a little while ... for the fireworks we scheduled two dessert parties ... EPCOT and MK so we could enjoy them in relative comfort.

It took some planning and strategizing but we had a wonderful trip ... we now go almost every year for Spring Break ... use much the same strategy and have had equally successful trips! This year it's going to be President's Day Weekend so we're expecting slightly lower crowded levels ... but we will be ready for the worst!

I am headed to Disney for the first time with my kids from the 22nd to the 30th of December. I am starting to freak just a little because I have not looked at maps and have not strategized any aspect of the trip. Will I really need several hours to get into the park? Clearly I am a super rookie. We do have special circumstances with it being a Make-A-Wish trip. Just hoping my kiddos and my dad, who has the early stages of Alzheimers and hates crowds, are able to make it through the trip. Just hoping to make some good memories for my family.

What about after New Years?

Depends on day of week New Year's Day is. This year, with it being on Monday, many schools don't go back until later in the week, if at all that week. Add that to the marathon crowds for the first weekend in Jan, and this year, that week will still be VERY busy. It won't be Christmas week crazy busy, but still levels 8-10 for most of the week.

I'm wondering if it's better for us to go mid April during spring break.

If you're talking about 2018 and truly mean mid-April, then you'll be in great shape. The crowded spring break weeks are the weeks surrounding Easter, and Easter is on April 1 next year. By mid-April, most spring breaks are done and college spring breaks are definitely over, so that will be your best bet crowd-wise even over Thanksgiving week. BUT Thanksgiving week would give your parents the Christmas decorations.

Think we’ve decided to go August 2019 (God help us!) because we want to go for more days and can’t take too much time off school/work. Hope we can handle the 100 degree weather!!!
Just got back two days ago and the beginning of December was so busy!!! Can’t believe how many people are there during a random week. We’ve gone the same week 4 years ago and it was dead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter