• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney closing Etsy shops?

snowweisz

Mouseketeer
Hello all,

So today I woke up to find a Disney bow shop on Etsy got a C&D letter from Disney to stop selling all Disney related material. The shop owner said she'd refund anyone with pending orders and closed the shop right off.

She didn't actually say it was a C&D letter but she also didn't disclose much else so pretty much everyone assumed that's what happened.
I only had this shop on my radar and hadn't purchased anything from them yet but I am a little worried/upset that Disney would continue to do this to pretty much every seller on Etsy who sells Disney stuff.

I realize they're well within their right but (like they did with the magic band covers) these are markets that Disney has never tapped into. If they sold hair bows, I'd probably buy from them but the fact is they don't. They also don't sell a lot of other things you see on Etsy like adult costumes or fashion hats or anything like that.

Again, they're well within their right and tbh I could probably make my own hair bows if I wanted to and had the time but it was really convenient to buy them already made.

Has anyone heard anything about that?

I did hear Disney was going after Etsy shops.

It's unfortunate that there are no licensed suppliers for some of those product lines but as you said, Disney is well within their rights.

I'm glad we got some of our Disney-themed wedding items on items while we could. I know someone who sells Disney hair bows at venues like Saturday markets....I wonder how long it'll be before she gets a letter. Obviously using licensed names and characters isn't legal...but some of the Etsy items I've seen are pretty creative.

This happened a few years ago on eBay. There was a group of women in a clique making custom boutique clothing and they pretty much had the eBay monopoly. A few newcomers entered the scene with clothing just as beautiful but less expensive. One of the original group reported the new sellers to Disney legal. The last laugh was on the first group because some of them got shut down too.

This happened a few years ago on eBay. There was a group of women in a clique making custom boutique clothing and they pretty much had the eBay monopoly. A few newcomers entered the scene with clothing just as beautiful but less expensive. One of the original group reported the new sellers to Disney legal. The last laugh was on the first group because some of them got shut down too.

LOL... you reap what you sow... or sew

I hate when people do that... Report others just so you can get all the money. People are greedy. I had that happen to me...sort of. I put an ad in our stores bulletin board for VHS transfers and someone kept taking them down. Either because of the price or the fact I put that I have a college degree . People suck like that.

Hello all,

So today I woke up to find a Disney bow shop on Etsy got a C&D letter from Disney to stop selling all Disney related material. The shop owner said she'd refund anyone with pending orders and closed the shop right off.

She didn't actually say it was a C&D letter but she also didn't disclose much else so pretty much everyone assumed that's what happened.
I only had this shop on my radar and hadn't purchased anything from them yet but I am a little worried/upset that Disney would continue to do this to pretty much every seller on Etsy who sells Disney stuff.

I realize they're well within their right but (like they did with the magic band covers) these are markets that Disney has never tapped into. If they sold hair bows, I'd probably buy from them but the fact is they don't. They also don't sell a lot of other things you see on Etsy like adult costumes or fashion hats or anything like that.

Again, they're well within their right and tbh I could probably make my own hair bows if I wanted to and had the time but it was really convenient to buy them already made.

Has anyone heard anything about that?

Whether Disney sells similar products or not has nothing to do with people using copyright material without permission. Anyone who owns a copyright must defend that copyright when they are aware of an infringement. If they don't they risk their intellectual property becoming public domaine. Disney without its copyright characters doesn't exist.

Now if Etsy would pay for use they would have no problem.

I did see they were going after etsy shops. They actually go through etsy every so often and clear it out, so to speak. I think the last time was two years ago, maybe?

As for bows, I know Disney has recently started partnering with Hot Topic for Disney themed hair bows. My sister and I saw a handful of them when we were in the store the other day. They had a really cute UP one with a grape soda pin in the center.

I did see they were going after etsy shops. They actually go through etsy every so often and clear it out, so to speak. I think the last time was two years ago, maybe?

As for bows, I know Disney has recently started partnering with Hot Topic for Disney themed hair bows. My sister and I saw a handful of them when we were in the store the other day. They had a really cute UP one with a grape soda pin in the center.

Hot Topic has amazing Disney items, and often has great sales. They are currently my go to store for Disney accessories. DD got an awesome Frozen dress there, too. They have tons of Disney clothes. :goodvibes

A seller on Etsy I used for custom shirts last year closed as well. I do have an etsy seller that I used for my Bows. I just checked her shop, it is still open. PM me if you would like the shop name. I ordered my bows and are waiting for them, so I can't speak to quality yet, but the designs are amazing! :)

Good thing I just ordered my kids really cute Anna and Kristoff knit hats! Now I have to order the hoodies I've had my eye on!

I haven't heard officially, however two Etsy shops I follow online mysteriously closed due to "unforeseen circumstances." Most of the followers suspect it was Disney closing them, although the shops didn't reveal the reason why they had to shut down so suddenly.

Wow! I bought a fish extender from someone on Etsy. I may be naive, but I naturally assumed she paid a royalty to Disney.

I would be panicked to be copyright infringing on Disney.

I've seen this happening to a lot of people lately. One of my coworkers actually has a good friend who sells Disney bows and she received a C&D letter as well a few days ago. She talked to someone at Etsy and apparently hundreds of shops got the same and are being forced to shut down immediately. Apparently a lot of them had to change their shop names/descriptions as well, to take out all titles or names relating to Disney.

I guess I knew this would happen sooner or later, but I just wonder why it's happening now, all of a sudden - it just seems random since these bow makers have been doing their thing with no problems for a while now. I guess since bows and custom things have been so popular lately Disney finally decided to shut it down :confused3 I guess we'll see what happens!

I was following a bow maker on Instagram and last week she announced she'd be closing immediately and refunding outstanding orders. I know there's the whole copyright thing but as someone who lives in the UK where official Disney merchandise for adults is very hard to come by in comparison to the US it makes me a bit sad.

I actually just received some bows from an Etsy seller a few weeks ago and also some clip ons for my magic bands for next year.

ETA: Just checked my Etsy account and the shop selling the clip ons for magic bands have also been shut down. Glad I got them when I did!

I read somewhere that if they are making dresses with licensed Disney fabric that they've purchased, it's legal. Not sure though

This is very sad to hear. I am aware of why Disney is doing it and I understand copyright laws but as an adult looking for Disney hair accessories I loved etsy. I wonder if all shops are closed, I am not a fan of the ones with the actual characters on them I am more of a fan of the ones with colors based off of a character that I can match to my outfits for the parks to symbolize that character. I just liked all the creative Disney ideas on etsy, I wish Disney would market these items themselves. A more adult creative hair and accessory line of items would be awesome!

I read somewhere that if they are making dresses with licensed Disney fabric that they've purchased, it's legal. Not sure though

That doesn't necessarily make it legal. They would have to be licensed to sell the merchandise. You can buy Disney material and make things for your kids at home but you can't then sell them without paying royalty.

And can we stop saying Disney is closing shops. They aren't. They are simply saying stop using our copyright/trademark characters and intellectual property. If the store can stay in business using other things it will be ok. It's the store owner who makes the decision to close.

I understand how some shops may be violating the rights by making iron on transfers and shirts using the Disney characters but if you can buy the ribbon at any fabric store how is against the "rules" to make a bow out of it?

I understand how some shops may be violating the rights by making iron on transfers and shirts using the Disney characters but if you can buy the ribbon at any fabric store how is against the "rules" to make a bow out of it?
It's not against the rules to make a bow out of it. It's against the rules to SELL a bow you make out of it! If you make it for personal use or as a gift it's fine but as soon as you make a profit off of it you have to have pressure from Disney to do that and pay them a Realty for doing it. It's the case for everything that's copyrighted, not just Disney items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter