DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM - A Spring 2013 Adventure! *COMPLETE* 11/20

The Application Process
September - October 2012

The Disney College Program application process is an adventure in itself. I wrote a few tumblr posts about it, so I thought I would share them to give you all the appropriate background information.

September 21st, 2012:
PrincessJess508 said:
My (Not So) Impulsive Decision to Apply for the DCP!

I have been waiting for this moment for years.

Literally. Years.

I have wanted to do the Disney College program since I was about 9 years old. The moment I found out about its existence it became my number one life goal. It has all I’ve been dreaming about since. I’ve been wondering what role I’m going to get placed in, who my roommates are going to be, what people I’m going to meet...

Oh my God. I can’t even.

I am currently enrolled in college and I’m a double major. Theatre Performance and Communications. Unfortunately, my theatre department isn’t big on people leaving for a semester. I understand their side of the story… but still.

I came into this semester with the mindset of waiting until after I graduated to go do the DCP. Yup that’s right… just three more YEARS of waiting.

That mindset lasted about a week.

After talking to a friend who works down in WDW right now, he gave me a little guidance. He said that it’s a MUCH better idea to get your foot in the door before you get out of college so you can get a professional internship immediately after school.

So after thinking about it, I decided that he was right. I want to work at WDW someday and I will do anything to get there. I love my college and my friends… but I felt torn ALL the time. My heart is there. I wasn’t going to be able to wait.

My friend Sean and I talked to our friends Alicia and Ryan on skype a few nights ago who are currently on the DCP. We fell IN LOVE with the idea of the college program. Hearing about it from their point of view just made us want to go so bad.

Then it was a matter of when. Again. THAT’S ALWAYS THE DANG QUESTION.

So, in Jazz yesterday I asked Sean, “so when are we going to move to Disney!?”

He looked at me and was like, “Can I be honest? I applied already!”

I really was thinking about going in Fall 2013… but the Spring 2013 sounded better and better by the second.

All the sudden, I found myself on the phone with my Mom asking her, “Should I just apply? Just to see what happens?” She said yes, of course. I think she was just as excited as I was.

Once I justified it with myself and got my mother’s consent… the application was filled out IMMEDIATELY.

My top roles were Concierge, BBB hostess, Vacation Planner, Costuming, and Entertainment.

My moderate choices were Photo Pass, Merchandise, Character Attendant, and Recreation.

I finished, went downstairs and found Sean, and we both FREAKED OUT.

All the sudden, he got an email saying he got a web-based interview! And the results? HE GOT A PHONE INTERVIEW!!! He scheduled it for September 27th!

Then about 10 minutes after he finished…. I got my web based interview!! OH MY GOD. I filled it out… and it’s so funny because I’m SUCH a Disney person. I could just tell by the questions.

After completing the 25 minute interview… I GOT ACCEPTED FOR A PHONE INTERVIEW!!!!!

I made an appointment at 8:30 pm on October 1st, 2012.

Is this real life? I physically cannot comprehend that I FINALLY have my DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM PHONE INTERVIEW in 10 DAYS!!!!!!!!!

And not to mention, I’m going to WDW in 13 days for Columbus Day weekend. LIFE IS GOOD, PEOPLE.

After we applied, my friend Mark let the idea get into his head. He has to ask his Mom if he can apply... but OH MY GOD THAT WOULD BE SO FUN IF WE COULD GO TOGETHER!

So now the waiting begins. I am having the hardest time EVER deciding what role I want. I want BBB Hostess and Concierge SO BAD. I wish I could do both! They’re both perfect for me. If I get accepted as either of those, I’m so outta here.

For now I’m doing a TON of research on phone interview questions so I can be prepared! I feel like I have so much to offer Disney, so I hope I can market myself to make them realize how dedicated I am! I seriously can’t wait! This month is going to drag on like nothing else… but I am beyond excited to see the results!

Overall, it was an impulsive (yet not so impulsive) decision to apply. On top of that, it all happened so fast! Maybe it was meant to be. Only time will tell…… :) I just hope that my dreams are in the process of coming true!​

Ahh looking back on that now it's funny because my friend Sean is the one who got me to apply! He was accepted for lifeguard but he unfortunately denied the offer. Thankfully Mark was able to apply (obviously) and now we are moving to Disney World TODAY.

October 1st, 2012
PrincessJess508 said:
It’s Phone Interview Day!
First off, HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY TO EPCOT! As well as 41st Birthday to the Magic Kingdom!

This is a big day in Disney history.

And a big day in my own history!

Today is the day of my phone interview for the Disney College Program. I can’t even believe it!

I spent all weekend thoroughly examining my answers and I feel very prepared for this interview. There is still a bit of nervousness running throughout my body… but I am excited as ever to take this big step in my life!

I’m praying really hard that I will get accepted for my top two roles of Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or Concierge! Any extra prayers would be greatly appreciated!

The waiting period is going to be an experience, but I am ready to submit my stuff! I hope that this dream will come true!

Countdown: 7 HOURS AND 59 MINUTES FROM THIS VERY MOMENT!​

October 1st, 2012
PrincessJess508 said:
DCP Phone Interview - COMPLETE :)

Alright, so everyone keeps asking how the heck my interview went! For your reference and mine, I’m just going to type out the whole story. :)

Around 7:30 pm I finally finished all of my classes and meetings for the day. At that point I just put up a “Do Not Disturb” sign on my door and went into my room. I called my Mom, read over my questions/answers, went on twitter, and disboards.

I listened to some Epcot music, started saying a little prayer for my interview, and then at 8:22 pm I got a Blocked call. IT WAS TIME.

I answered the phone and I was greeted by Tiffany.

She started off by asking, “So you have worked for the Disney Company in the past, correct?”

Hahaha ummmm no, I have not. I feel like I have at this point! But I haven’t, no.

I WOULD get mistaken for a cast member. My life.

So we got more into the interview. She asked the ever famous “Why Disney?” question which I was very prepared for!

Then right away she asked about my past work experience, which really gave her a feel for what I could do. I’m glad I had a lot to include because I feel like this section helped me a great deal!

Then she asked me a bunch of general work questions.

“Do you prefer to work at a slow or a fast pace?”

“If you were overwhelmed and knew that you were unable to complete your tasks, what would you do?”

“Do you prefer working indoors or out?”

“Do you work better as an individual or a team player?”

I was all prepared for those, thanks to doing some research ahead of time. :)

Then we got into the roles. She told me to explain my top two. That was strange to me because usually they ask top three. However, I was banking on explaining my top two so this worked out well.

I started off with BBB Hostess, which went well. After that, she asked if I had been to Disney World before. I told her that I had been there about 25 times, and that was impressive to her. Then I explained my second role, Concierge.

I didn’t get any feedback from her for either of these roles. She didn’t ask me any questions about them. I don’t know whether or not to take that as a good or a bad thing.

I put interest on a lot of different roles, which I sort of regret doing. Even if you put LOW interest, you will still be considered for something. So if you really don’t want to do a certain job, PUT NO INTEREST.

She talked to me a great deal about Vacation Planner. She asked me “what do you think guests expect from a Vacation Planner?” as well as if I have dealt with sales in the past. She told me that Disney needed people for this role who were familiar with the ticketing system and had a great deal of knowledge about Disney.

She also mentioned Merchandise and said it seemed like I had a pretty good amount of experience in a setting like that. I told her that I have never worked in retail, although I have worked a cash register before.

She briefly mentioned that I put down attractions (as low interest, mind you) but didn’t ask any further questions.

She didn’t even mention costuming, photopass, or character attendant, which I believe I put as either high or moderate interests. Hmm!

So at the end of the interview, she asked if I had any questions. I asked her how she started working for Disney. She said that she started 14 years ago, and that she began at the ESPN Wide World of Sports. She worked there for 10 years and then went into casting. She said that she wouldn’t want to be anywhere else and that Disney was a great company to work for.

I told her that I wanted to work for Disney in the long run and that it has always been my passion. She said that she could tell I was very passionate and knowledgeable about Disney, so that’s a WONDERFUL sign! That’s exactly what I wanted my interviewer to notice.

Lastly, I thanked her for her time. It’s difficult for someone to get to know you over the phone and in such a short period of time, but I hope I did a decent job!

I thanked her again by name we said our goodbyes.

Phone Interview Time: 23 minutes. Solid.

And now the waiting game begins!!!! :) I have done all that I can! It is time to leave it in God (and Disney’s) hands

So about 4 days later, my Mom and I were headed down to WDW for Columbus Day weekend. You can read about that trip HERE.

On the very last day of our vacation and exactly ONE WEEK after my phone interview, I was accepted for my Disney College Program!

October 8th, 2012:
Disneyfreak508 said:
Chapter 18: MY DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM ACCEPTANCE!
October 8th, 2012

I slept in until 8:30 am this morning. We had to leave today. ): It's always so sad when you have to pack up the room.

Bell services came to pick us up and they took us to Old Port Royale.

Our driver was awesome. We told him I applied for the DCP and he told my Mom, "once she moves down here, she's not coming back!" Hahaha so true. Someday I'm moving there and never leaving. How did he know!? He says he always looks forward to coming to work and his wife doesn't because she doesn't work there. It's the Disney difference!

We dropped off our bags and Miranda came to pick us up for breakfast! We were so sad it was our last day but we had such a fun trip.

We had a breakfast reservation at 1900 Park Fare to wrap up our girls trip!

We were just chatting away and then all of the sudden I felt one single vibrate on my phone.

THAT MEANS I GOT AN EMAIL.

I mean, at that point I didn't think it would actually be Disney, but I was in constant email checking mode. It was probably just my school or something, right?

So I unlocked my phone and an email flashed across the top of the screen saying "wdw.college.recruiting@dis..." and under that it said "CONGRATULATIONS!"

I SCREAMED!!! Mom and Miranda were in the middle of a conversation and I was just like, "OH MY GOD, I GOT MY ACCEPTANCE LETTER!! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

They immediately switched their focus and we all started FREAKING OUT!!

I opened he email and I was so excited that I had quite a hard time finding out where my job offer was!

I had to scroll down to the bottom and click on a link.

It was the moment of truth. I was about to find out what I had been wondering for 10 years - what role would I be placed in for my DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM?!

I clicked open the link and saw the bolded word:

Concierge.

I just SCREAMED, told my Mom and Miranda, and started crying. All three of us were crying!! I absolutely couldn't believe I was offered my dream job!! I have been working so hard towards a position like this my ENTIRE life and now I have the chance to perform it. ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!!

Not to mention, we were driving to the Grand Floridian UNDER the Magic Kingdom gates when I received my letter.

If that's not a Disney welcome, I don't know what is! The whole thing was absolutely unreal. It felt like a movie!!

I was just crying. I was SO happy! I called my Dad, Preston, Mark, Kristen, and my Nana. I just had to tell them all the news! Everyone was absolutely thrilled!!!

I was beside myself. That was probably the most magical moment of my ENTIRE life. It couldn't have happened any better!

Miranda kept saying "I bet you're going to find out on your last day here!" and I just brushed it off being like "I wish!!" I couldn't believe it actually happened!

Also, I got accepted for my program while I was IN DISNEY. My life. I wouldn't expect anything else from myself.
I went home that day knowing that I would be moving back to WDW in only a few months!

Mark got accepted for Costuming a few days later, but then he went to an audition with his friend Andrea in Columbus, Ohio. He ended up getting all the way through... and we found out soon after that he was accepted for Entertainment!

We spent the entire rest of the semester counting down and making preparations. Neither of us could even wait!!!!!

Continued in Next Post

I am totally here and following along - I have been waiting forever for you to start this! Yaya! We will be there this summer - but unfortunately, it will be after you leave. :(

Super excited for you.... Now to go back and catch up! :)

D~

I only found your trip reports last week, and I have to tell you I absolutely LOVE readiing them! I can truly feel how excited you are about every little thing at Disney! I totally understand that feeling, and when I talk about it with people at home they look at me like I have two heads half the time!! :rotfl2:

Definitely subscribing, and encouraging my kids to read your reports too!! They LOVE Disney as well...and DCP might be something they will consider in the future!!

My step daughter is planning on going down the same path. She is going off to college next year. She is currently applying to schools and want so bad to work at Disney some day (we had completely forgot about DCP). I will be following your journey and reporting to her.

We are no strangers to Disney.

My niece moved to Orlando for school and worked for Disney while she attended school. Due to money issues she was not able to stay in school full time. She work for Disney, Universal and Pirates Diner Show (she was the Bride of Frankenstein at Universal's Beetlejuice Revue, the Princes at Pirates and you name it at Disney, including Peter Pan at Wishes). She convinced my daughter it was a great life! So she too moved to Orlando. My daughter worked at Disney for a couple of years. That was 12 years ago. My daughter has a family now and lives in the Orlando area. My niece moved to California and went back to school. She is now working again for Disney as a game developer. Enough back story. They both had the time of their lifes, great memories and great friends.

The Application Process
September - October 2012

The Disney College Program application process is an adventure in itself. I wrote a few tumblr posts about it, so I thought I would share them to give you all the appropriate background information.

September 21st, 2012:

Ahh looking back on that now it's funny because my friend Sean is the one who got me to apply! He was accepted for lifeguard but he unfortunately denied the offer. Thankfully Mark was able to apply (obviously) and now we are moving to Disney World TODAY.

October 1st, 2012

October 1st, 2012

So about 4 days later, my Mom and I were headed down to WDW for Columbus Day weekend. You can read about that trip HERE.

On the very last day of our vacation and exactly ONE WEEK after my phone interview, I was accepted for my Disney College Program!

October 8th, 2012:
I went home that day knowing that I would be moving back to WDW in only a few months!

Mark got accepted for Costuming a few days later, but then he went to a Character Performer audition with his friend Andrea in Columbus, Ohio. He ended up getting all the way through... and we found out soon after that he was accepted for Character Performer!

We spent the entire rest of the semester counting down and making preparations. Neither of us could even wait!!!!!

Continued in Next Post[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Jess' Pre-College Program Life
October 2012 - January 2013

The Fall 2012 semester was THE LONGEST semester of my life. Mark and I counted down every single day... starting with over 100 days to go. NOW IT'S FINALLY HERE!

We had a ton of paperwork to get situated and meetings to go to. We had homework and essays and tests to get through. Mark and Preston were in the musical Urinetown and I was on wardrobe crew. After going 5 million miles an hour... the semester FINALLY ended.

Preston spent a few days at my house before he went home to Georgia. I was getting really sad because I knew that soon we were going to have to say goodbye for much longer than just a couple weeks.

Then we had the holidays! Christmas Eve was nice. I spent it at my Nana's house and hung out with all of my little cousins.

Thankfully, on December 26th, we left for our trip to Disney! We wanted to drive my car down for the Disney College Program ahead of time, so we just made a vacation out of it! You can read about that trip HERE.

5 days after I got back, Preston came up before school to stay with us again for a few nights before school started. We had SUCH a wonderful time together. Even though we were running lots of errands to get things situated before my DCP we were just so happy to be together.

When we went to the mall, I got my Disney Princess Build-A-Bear the day it came out. I AM SUCH A CHILD!

img7105k.jpg

We also went bowling with my family and Preston got 5 STRIKES IN A ROW. If you read my YaCHt Club trip report, you will remember how much my Dad loves bowling. I think my Dad was impressed with Preston's bowling skills.

img7099p.jpg

FART SHOES! But really.

img7098ql.jpg

We also had our own little Christmas together. Preston got me this BEAUTIFUL necklace. I wear it every day. He did such a fantastic job picking out a present. :thumbsup2

img7118g.jpg

Also, Preston is letting me take his stuffed dog Muffin to Disney. He has had this dog since he was 4 or 8 (he doesn't remember) and it holds a ton of sentimental value. I couldn't believe he was actually letting me take her with me but I am BEYOND thankful. Now I have someone to cuddle with when I get sad and miss him.

img5251p.jpg

For Preston's Christmas present, I got him the "I'll Be Your Mickey/I'll Be Your Minnie" shirts, Oswald ears, and I made him an Adventure Book from Up! He was THRILLED. I don't know if I'll ever be able to top that present. It was just perfect!

img7121x.jpg

I took Preston up to school on January 13th and stayed up there so I could see him, my friend Josie, and my friend Matt. We went on some crazy adventures to Wegman's and just had a ton of fun being together. I was only going to spend Sunday night, but after getting some cavities filled on Monday, I went back up for another night because I didn't have anything better to do at home. :laughing:

Then on Tuesday I got lunch with my friend Vickie. We were so sad to say goodbye, but she was really happy for me to go live out my dream!

Then on Wednesday night, I went to Cheesecake Factory with Kristen, and my friends Nat and Alicia. We had a little going away dinner at our favorite place.

FRUMP ADVENTURES:

img7164j.jpg

CHEEEEESECAKE:

img7169l.jpg

Then Kristen and Alicia slept over at my house that night. It was good to have one last heart to heart talk with them before I was off on my journey! Thankfully all of them are coming to visit so I will be seeing them soonish!

On Thursday I went back up to school and stayed until Saturday. On Thursday night, Josie, Matt, Preston, and I watched the Muppet Movie/played truth or dare in Matt's room. Then on Friday, Preston and Matt had their short plays at night and we all went out to dinner afterwards.

On Saturday morning, Preston and I went to get Tim Horton's bagels. After breakfast, I packed up my stuff and he walked me to my car to say goodbye. It was literally the SADDEST thing I have ever had to do. Preston and I are really close and we're not only dating but he is my best friend. We love each other and it is going to be really hard to be apart. After some tears, we said our "see you soons." He will be coming down to WDW in either 42 or 43 days... so that's comforting. It's still a long time from now, but the next time I see him I will be fully immersed in my DCP!

(Please excuse the fact that I'm crying in this picture)

img7188b.jpg

I drove home and just took a nap for over 2 hours. Saying goodbye is EXHAUSTING! I woke up and we had our last family dinner until August. That is INSANE. We had steak tips, mashed potatoes, and fruit salad - my favorites! My Dad also got Jonathan a cake for his birthday (on January 26th) so we could all celebrate it together before I left.

After that my Mom and I finished packing up the rest of my stuff. I finished organizing my iTunes playlists because I had to restore my computer a few days ago. I stayed up until 4 in the morning writing this trip report!

Now it's about 11:30 am on January 20th. I'm laying in bed, listening to Disney music, and writing this entry for my trip report. I had my last batch of my Mother's DELICIOUS blueberry pancakes for the next 6 1/2 months. AHHH how sad.

img7187c.jpg

I am SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED but it still doesn't feel real. I can't wait to get to the airport and see Mark!

Our flight is at 4:15 pm so prayers for a safe flight would be appreciated! The much anticipated adventure is beginning TODAY. I CAN'T EVEN WAIT!!!!!!!!! :wizard:

Continued in Next Post

Oh wow! I read one of your reports and loved it, so I'm definitely in for this story. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Oh I am so excited for you. My DD is 12 and is already talking about doing the International College Programme with her two best friends who are totally Disney fans too. My DD and I will be back at WDW at Easter to 14 nights and we can't wait. I'm really looking forward to hearing all about your time on the CP can't wait to hear where you'll actually be xx

Hey Jess,
I teach at a community college and was researching information on the dcp and found your report. I just had two of my students return from a seven month dcp tour. (One worked at casey's corner & the other at mission space)It looks to me that you 'll be a great fit for Disney.They said there were some long hours, but wouldn't trade their experinces for the world. Best of luck in your new role and take care. :wave2:

Jess, I have been a lurker through all your trip reports. Just want to say Congrats on DCP! I know you will excel! I will be there at the end of February with my roommate from college ( we are proof that friendships do last!). I have the same necklace that Preston gave you. My husband (of 30 plus years) bought it for me when we were vacationing in September. Follow you dreams, girl!

Joining in! :) Good luck with the move and getting settled in Florida! I know you are going to love it! You're right about the never wanting to leave part. My sister seemed ready to come home last time (she did the Fall program first and was there for the craziness of the holiday season) but once she got home she couldn't wait to go back. I know you haven't even started yet, but have you thought about extending?

Yay!!! I'm so excited to follow along with you and your DCP adventures! Good luck with everything, I hope you have a magical experience! You are living out my dream, you know! I was too scared to do this in college, even though I REALLY wanted to, and now it's probably the biggest regret of my life! I admire anyone who is that brave and can move so far away from home to live out their dreams! :cloud9: I can't wait to find out where you are working!

Ahh Jen, I am right there with you! Especially knowing how much Emma loved it now I really regret not doing it. We should both go back to college and do it together. ;)

So excited to live vicariously through you!

You are such an amazing person with an awesome personality so I am excited for you because you deserve it. I can't wait to see your pics on IG!

Good luck on your trip down and hope your first week goes great!

Hi

I can't wait to know where you are a concierge ! Is it possible to the Yacht Club ?

So excited !

Joining in - can't wait to come along for the ride!:drive:

Sending prayers for safe travels and some pixie dust your way.pixiedust:

Hi there! I am just beginning to research the DCP for my niece who is a college sophomore. We are both wondering if you can earn college credits by taking classes while participating in the DCP and if so would know which university is used? Also how does the housing work? Thanks for all of your help!! By the way, she and i have been reading your trip reports since last night and are thoroghly enjoying them! We share your love of Disney and just adore your enthusiam!!! ;)

Definitely subbing into this one!! I love that you were up at 3am starting your report! Can't wait to hear what resort you get for concierge!!

I'm also a long time lurker but I love reading all your trip reports. They keep me sane between trips. I'm subscribing and can't wait to read about your DCP.

Congratulations! It's so exciting to see your dreams coming true!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter