Disney conducting layoffs

Isn't it a little too soon to tell how the whole Twitter thing will turn out? I heard today he (Elon Musk) is ending free lunch because of cost and since so many people don't even come into work on a daily basis, can't say as I blame him. I think we need to give it a little time before we declare that he has run the company into the ground. I for one hope he is successful.

Their advertisers are abandoning them in droves. That's their big income source. Trying to save money with actions that cause the advertisers to leave is not exactly a sound strategy.

Their advertisers are abandoning them in droves. That's their big income source. Trying to save money with actions that cause the advertisers to leave is not exactly a sound strategy.
the software engineers are also making very questionable decisions on the code behind the site (running in developer mode instead of production mode), which doesn’t bode well for user security.

That's really rich that the advertisers are abandoning them in droves. Do those same advertisers offer free lunch for their employees? Do they keep employees who openly don't like the new leadership? I'd be willing to guess NO. It was a good business decision to cut costs where they can, those same advertisers would do the same. Such hypocrites. Are they just grandstanding to impress their presumed customer base?

I heard this morning that Amazon is cutting 10,000 jobs, these are supposed to be coming from the executive and teck sectors. Jeff Bezos was basically telling his audience to put off unnecessary purchases until a later date due to our bad economy and inflation.

Twitter didn't lay people off because they didn't like new leadership, they did because Elon Musk has no idea what he's doing. He's a perfect example of a guy born into wealth who then spins a story about how he single handedly created it, then can't maintain it and starts flailing and blaming everyone else. They have laid off people who are integral to running Twitter. Entire teams that knew how certain code or servers worked are gone leaving baffled employees who aren't qualified to do that work holding the bag. It's a dumpster fire and advertisers are right to flee it's being handled so poorly.

If Disney does do layoffs hopefully they make sure they know what someone does and that there's a backup before they send out the notices.

Last edited:
This is sad news, but also makes me so angry. They have now gouged us for SO many things that used to be free and now need to cut operating costs? Seems like someone is bad at business....

It's a dumpster fire and advertisers are right to flee it's being handled so poorly.

I agree, twitter gets something like 90% of its income selling ads. Saying/doing things that encourage advertisers to flee seems like a dreadful strategy. So it is basically an advertising agency with an IT group to run an online chat room. Saving a few hundred dollars cutting out employee meals seems like the wrong thing to be focusing on when there are so many other bigger issues to address.

That's really rich that the advertisers are abandoning them in droves. Do those same advertisers offer free lunch for their employees? Do they keep employees who openly don't like the new leadership? I'd be willing to guess NO. It was a good business decision to cut costs where they can, those same advertisers would do the same. Such hypocrites. Are they just grandstanding to impress their presumed customer base?

Free lunch isn’t the reason. These advertisers apparently don’t like the way that Twitter is apparently going. They’re private companies, and that’s their right to do so. The Elon Musk era of Twitter has been disastrous with mistake after mistake. Including mistakes that have affected people in measurable ways.

A tweet from an imposter Eli Lilly jokingly announcing that “insulin is free now” meant that the company lost billions in its market cap as shares fell by five percent.​
Aerospace defence company Lockheed Martin suffered from a similar fate when a fake account tweeted that company would halt weapon sales to countries like Saudi Arabia and Israel pending further investigation into their human rights records. This post cost the company billions when shares fell by over 5.5 percent.​
Other companies like PepsiCo, Musk’s Tesla and SpaceX, as well as Roblox, and Nestle also saw shares dip briefly when fake accounts made more obviously satirical tweets.​

Twitter didn't lay people off because they didn't like new leadership, they did because Elon Musk has no idea what he's doing. He's a perfect example of a guy born into wealth who then spins a story about how he single handedly created it, then can't maintain it and starts flailing and blaming everyone else. They have laid off people who are integral to running Twitter. Entire teams that knew how certain code or servers worked are gone leaving baffled employees who aren't qualified to do that work holding the bag. It's a dumpster fire and advertisers are right to flee it's being handled so poorly.

If Disney does do layoffs hopefully they make sure they know what someone does and that there's a backup before they send out the notices.

Yeah, I will have to agree to disagree.

Free lunch isn’t the reason. These advertisers apparently don’t like the way that Twitter is apparently going. They’re private companies, and that’s their right to do so. The Elon Musk era of Twitter has been disastrous with mistake after mistake. Including mistakes that have affected people in measurable ways.

A tweet from an imposter Eli Lilly jokingly announcing that “insulin is free now” meant that the company lost billions in its market cap as shares fell by five percent.​
Aerospace defence company Lockheed Martin suffered from a similar fate when a fake account tweeted that company would halt weapon sales to countries like Saudi Arabia and Israel pending further investigation into their human rights records. This post cost the company billions when shares fell by over 5.5 percent.​
Other companies like PepsiCo, Musk’s Tesla and SpaceX, as well as Roblox, and Nestle also saw shares dip briefly when fake accounts made more obviously satirical tweets.​

I do believe almost all companies that are traded on the stock exchange have seen dips in value over the past months, that's not a twitter thing. I think time will tell how disastrous Elon Musk's handling of Twitter will be. Again, I'm rooting for Elon. It does seem that again I'm in the minority and that's ok, I would never want to be accused of following the heard.

As far as Disney having layoffs, I really don't know where the layoff will be. I hope not at the resorts/parks but again I guess we will have to wait and see. I don't think Disney is alone in this action, Amazon is going to layoff 10,000 employees. It's the sign of the times. I just hope it doesn't get too bad.

Yeah, I will have to agree to disagree.
I mean you can, but anyone that had two factor authentication couldn't log in yesterday because Elon unilaterally decided to shut down systems he didn't know anything about. That's dumb on several levels and anyone in technology was shaking their heads about it. And it's the kind of mistake that SHOULD send investors running.

I do believe almost all companies that are traded on the stock exchange have seen dips in value over the past months, that's not a twitter thing. I think time will tell how disastrous Elon Musk's handling of Twitter will be. Again, I'm rooting for Elon. It does seem that again I'm in the minority and that's ok, I would never want to be accused of following the heard.

Not like this. It's been one petulant thing after another.

I don't want to see this platform fall apart, but it certainly seems like Musk is doing a pretty good job at making that happen. At this point I'm thinking the only thing that can save Twitter is Musk declaring that he made a bad decision and finds some way to divest it.

I mean you can, but anyone that had two factor authentication couldn't log in yesterday because Elon unilaterally decided to shut down systems he didn't know anything about. That's dumb on several levels and anyone in technology was shaking their heads about it. And it's the kind of mistake that SHOULD send investors running.
Having worked with telcos (AT&T, CenturyLink, Verizon, etc) in the past it was common to end up with servers running that no one knew if they were still used.

It was an accepted practice to pull the network or turn them off and see who yelled, if anyone.

In most cases no one ever called, in some cases it broke something but rarely something important.

Elon seems to have embraced the concept for better or worse.

There's a big difference between "this team that has been here for 20 years has no idea if this service on this server is still in use so turn it off and see what happens" and "we just laid people off without knowing what they did, we don't know what these services do turn them off."

Basic common sense is: turn them off in test environments, not prod. More is: know what the people you're firing do and make sure there's a backup.

There's a big difference between "this team that has been here for 20 years has no idea if this service on this server is still in use so turn it off and see what happens" and "we just laid people off without knowing what they did, we don't know what these services do turn them off."

Basic common sense is: turn them off in test environments, not prod. More is: know what the people you're firing do and make sure there's a backup.
In the telcos case there were not team members who had been around 20 years.

Layoffs and early retirements had decimated the knowledge base, not unlike coming in and laying off half your staff on day one.

test-in-production-meme-2.jpg

When you run the live site in dev mode you can just do whatever you want, apparently.

I’m quite sure that’s exactly the reason advertisers are leaving.

As far as Disney having layoffs, I really don't know where the layoff will be. I hope not at the resorts/parks but again I guess we will have to wait and see. I don't think Disney is alone in this action, Amazon is going to layoff 10,000 employees. It's the sign of the times. I just hope it doesn't get too bad.

I would hope Disney is laying off the people who decided to degrade the park experience. That would be a net positive.

As for Amazon laying off 10,000 is no big deal. It will bring them down to 2021 employment levels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter