Disney Cruise Line and Hurricane Protocol - Any experience?

jourknee2master

Earning My Ears
Currently scheduled to depart from Prot Canvarel on September 30th on the Disney Wish and churning with anxiety due to Hurricane Ian. Does anyone have experience with Hurricanes delaying or causing their cruise to be canceled I usually travel in January, so this is a first, and I have a better chance at lunch with Walt than getting DCL to answer their phone lines right now.

Any insight is welcome.

My brother and his wife had a honeymoon cruise where they spent the first night still anchored in Port Canaveral due to a storm. Other ships left, but Disney stayed, and wow, that was a good decision! There were videos after of some of the ships going through the storm and it was rough. The rest of the cruise was fine, and they actually ended up with nice weather, which usually follows on the heels of a storm. So, have hope! DCL will put safety first, but they have operated out of Florida for a long time and this isn't the first rodeo, just make the best of things where you can.

We left a day late due to a tropical storm. We did get to board on time they just didn't leave the port until the next day. I've cruised several times during hurricane season and have been pretty lucky...knock on wood.

My brother and his wife had a honeymoon cruise where they spent the first night still anchored in Port Canaveral due to a storm. Other ships left, but Disney stayed, and wow, that was a good decision! There were videos after of some of the ships going through the storm and it was rough. The rest of the cruise was fine, and they actually ended up with nice weather, which usually follows on the heels of a storm. So, have hope! DCL will put safety first, but they have operated out of Florida for a long time and this isn't the first rodeo, just make the best of things where you can.
This was probably the cruise I was on. It was our first.

If you're flying in before 10:30am on Friday 9/30, then you'll need to reschedule your flight. After that time, well, MCO will open when it can. Let's hope that power outages and damage are minimal.

Disney probably won't cancel the cruise unless they have to.

I know at this point you have the answer for your specific cruise. It seems like they will try as much as possible to make each cruise happen, but the dates and stops might get altered.

I was on the Fantasy with my family in May of 2018 and there was an early season hurricane. Our Western Caribbean kept the schedule, but reversed the itinerary, but still kept Castaway Cay as the last stop. We missed out on Stingray City in Grand Cayman because the storm churned up the waters when it moved through. There was also an unplanned stop in Miami for a medical situation, but that wasn't because of the storm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter