Disney cruise line Bus

DisneyDad1736

Mouseketeer
We are going on our cruise at the end of January and are wondering when Disney usually opens up reservations for the DCL bus? I’ve been trying to stay updated but I’m told by CM it’s still early to book the bus.

I want to make sure that we can get a DCL transfer from a Disney resort to port canaveral before they sell out. Any other suggestions are open. Thank you!

I've never read or heard that DCL transport from WDW to PC sells out. BUT, I've also never heard that you could not add them to your reservation upon booking the cruise, however far in advance. I've certainly booked DCL transport more than 5 months in advance.

Are you contacting a non-DCL Disney CM by any chance ?

We're cruising on the Wish next week, and we booked the DCL shuttle to the port the same day we booked our cruise, which was 9/05/22. Not sure why the cast member would say it's too soon. I did book through a Disney TA, so maybe it depends on who you booked through?

DCL must be working on 2024 contracts because they haven't allowed any ground transportation bookings (at any ports). It's definitely not the usual. My best advice is to just keep checking unless you want/need to get plans firmed up with an alternate transportation option.

There was another thread on this earlier this month
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...n-via-the-website-working-for-anyone.3926751/

Frustrating to not have any info because I have a February cruise I’d like to secure transportation for too…
is there any risk it won’t be brought back in 2024 at all, and go the way of the magical express? I’ve got car seats to deal with so it complicates my travel plans slightly if it goes away.

is there any risk it won’t be brought back in 2024 at all, and go the way of the magical express? I’ve got car seats to deal with so it complicates my travel plans slightly if it goes away.
I doubt it. DCL ground transportation has always been an extra charge unlike DME which was hidden in the room cost.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...n-via-the-website-working-for-anyone.3926751/

Frustrating to not have any info because I have a February cruise I’d like to secure transportation for too…
Same here. We have an infant and a toddler so I’m stressing out about the car seats. We might just have to look at alternative options.

My guess: It will go the way of the ME - meaning you will be paying more for it. As lanejudy suggests, it‘s probably in contract negotiations. I think the price has been pretty even for years.

Disney would not want to be obligated to honor any bookings made now If the price goes up (as most things are doing).

If Disney decided to drop bus service, someone like Mears (who are/ were the provider for years) would probably step in and offer it. Port Canaveral is currently the busiest cruise port in the world; someone will want that business, especially with the length of ride from MCO to PC.

Last edited:
Fwiw, I had to call yesterday for a different reason but asked about the transportation booking for 2024. The rep gave me the same answer others have heard— they are still working on the contract. He said he hoped it would be open for booking in another month or so, but couldn’t make any guarantees.

If prices haven’t gone up in a long time, that makes sense that this is mostly about a price increase and the service isn’t going away. Yeah, I know there are a ton of alternatives but for those of us with car seats the guaranteed motor coach is pretty clutch. When I looked into the mears replacement at WDW, at least at the time they wouldn’t guarantee that.

If Disney decided to drop bus service, someone like Mears (who are/ were the provider for years) would probably step in and offer it.

You’re correct, Mears and one other little known transportation company operated or operate the DME and DCL buses. The drivers aren’t even Disney CMs.

Having been a WDW bus transportation CM for years I always had the sense that we, the internal Disney owned and operated bus system, as well as the non-Disney bus operators, like Mears, were and are the red headed stepchildren. It wouldn’t surprise me if Disney decided to end the DCL bus service as well.

DCL transfers have always been an extra cost to the guest. It was never free like ME service for resorts was.

I didn’t make it clear (I didn’t spell it out).

ME was free - now you pay for a bus to WDW.

DCL bus was $39 OW - I predict that to go up.

Hence my words “My guess: It will go the way of the ME - meaning you will be paying more for it.”

I suppose the resort bus is no longer called ME? Just ground transportation?

I’m honestly thinking they are renegotiating to bring back Magical Express at this point. Not that it would apply for our cruise transfers, but I can’t see what else could possibly be holding this up

I’m honestly thinking they are renegotiating to bring back Magical Express at this point. Not that it would apply for our cruise transfers, but I can’t see what else could possibly be holding this up
I wouldn’t be surprised if ME comes back but I don’t think it will be a complimentary service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter