Disney Cruise Line Jobs

919Florida

Mouseketeer
Does anyone on this board work on a Disney Cruise Ship or know someone who does? It's one of my dreams to be able to work on the Disney Cruise Line for my job. I graduate this year from highschool and would love to go to work on the Disney Cruise Line next year.

I have been to the Disney Cruise Line employment website but I was wandering what it is like to work on the boat. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In addition to 21 years old they work an average of 84 hours per week, sign 6 month contracts with no days off. The servers get 3 servings off per week i.e. breakfast or lunch. Sometimes they can combine a breakfast and lunch off on the same day if lucky.

I think you are also taxed on that income for US citizens. Many threads discussing this topic....

This is an interesting post and I give 919Florida credit for wanting to look into this! I was actually wondering this myself for my DD! She's only 12 now, but I think working for Disney for a year after graduating would be a great experience! Those long hours would make you think hard about what career path you want to take!
I didn't realize you had to be 21! Is this true for WDW also?

Working for DCL was a wonderful experience! You do infact have to be 21, or so I was told... had a person in my department turn 21 during her contract. I was taxed while working on the ship (but hello all americans are taxed). I worked a contracted 70 hours a week, and did have some shore leave...the morning or evening.... it was a wonderful experience... or should I say Magical ehehhe when your 21 do it you wont regret it!

I was actually wondering this myself for my DD! She's only 12 now, but I think working for Disney for a year after graduating would be a great experience!

When we were at MGM last year, my DD struck up a conversation with a young woman who was running the Great Movie Ride (I may have the name wrong, sorry). She was a college student and doing an internship for a semester at Disney. This was in May, and she had been there since January, and her time was almost up. Anyway, the deal is that they get virtually no pay, and they work really long hours, mostly on their feet all day (this girl was feeling pretty ready to go home...). DD then asked her why she did it and she said that she could not ever get that kind of experience or training anywhere else, that she had learned the value of hard work, and that she was sure that having Disney on her resume would serve her well in the future. If I had been her parent, I would have been very proud - and I told her so!

MCNUSS: Everything was TRUE, that the girl said. My DD is in the college program now, an American Studies Major at UMBC in MD. Her job is working in the food court at Port Orleans, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or Riverside. Yes, she will have plenty of experience working long hours, very little pay and maybe over qualified when it comes to McDonalds, etc. But in the end will she be glad? who knows.

As alumni of the WDWCP, I admit that they pay is not the greatest. But the life changing experince is worth it. The college programers know what they are getting thereslves into before they go down. Entry level positions with a fortune 500 hundred company. The things that I have learned from working for the Walt Disney Company, has made me a better person, and more more well rounded person at that. The WDWCP is what you put into it. IF you just go to work, and come home and party thats what you will gain. If you go to work, network and job shadow its an experienc that can lead to a rewarding career.

Unless things have changed in the 2 years since I was a manager with The Disney Stores... the minimum age for hiring in is 18. We had quite a few CM's work their way through college, go to WDW on the college internship, and then hire in at WDW upon graduation. The pay at TDS is not outstanding, and the shifts are usually 4 or 6 hours for part timers.
If the DCL is the ultimate goal, getting your foot in the door by working at TDS is a good start. Once you have (I believe) a year of service, you can transfer to another unit within the company, ie parks and attractions which would get you into the Orlando area and once you turn 21, try for a transfer to DCL.

No matter what, Disney on your resume really goes a long way. They still have it all over other companies when it comes to training employees!

Just my 2 cents.

Just recently (in the past week) I saw a DCL job posting on Monster.com. I remember it said you work 7 days a week for 4 mths and then get 2 mths off. The job sounded like doing work gettting the Navigator's out. I can not remember the title, but it is probably still there if anyone is interested in looking for it.

I know a few people who have worked on the cruise line and have thought about it myself. I know you work at least a minimum of 70hrs a week and your contracts vary according to what department you work in, as do your hours, time off for shore excursions and other rules and regulations on the ship. Working for Disney is a great experience ( I am a Disney Store CM) and that is probably the best place to start out (or one of the theme parks if you live near any!!) It's the best introduction to the company to see if it's right for you because working for Disney is very different than any other company, they are totally in a league of there own which is great , but not always great for everyone. Good luck !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter