Disney Cruises and ECVs

Evita_W

DIS Veteran
Pardon me for cross posting, as I also posted this in the disabilities forum and I am not sure which will get more of a response.

So, DH would need his ECV (Pride Victory 10.1 for dimensions), but we don't really beed the walk in shower, etc. That an accessible cabin has and would want to leave that available for those who truly need it.

But he would need somewhere to put his ECV and charge nightly. I know you can't (and shouldnt) leave them in the hallway, just wondering if there are accommodations available for this or if we really need to book an accessible cabin. There are multiple accessible cabins available for the cruise we are considering, but it is far enough away I wouldn't want to take it and keep someone else from being able to go just because we only needed it for the extra room to fit a ECV in.

I'm not sure that I've seen ECVs on the ships before. The hallways and elevators are pretty narrow. I'm sure that the ECV would fit, though...

Anyway, if you book a family verandah cabin, then there's a rather decent extra space near the verandah door that you could probably fit the ECV into. Alternatively, you could borrow a regular chair from DCL and fold it up when not in use, if that works for you.

I'm not sure that I've seen ECVs on the ships before. The hallways and elevators are pretty narrow. I'm sure that the ECV would fit, though...

Anyway, if you book a family verandah cabin, then there's a rather decent extra space near the verandah door that you could probably fit the ECV into. Alternatively, you could borrow a regular chair from DCL and fold it up when not in use, if that works for you.
A manual chair isn't going to do the trick.....I know we have seen ECVs on board before, but not sure how they are handled.

I answered on your other thread but just took a little more time to look up the designated locations. On the classic ships (Magic and Wonder) the public storage area is on deck 6; on the Dream class ships (Dream and Fantasy) it is on deck 2. Depending on the need that particular cruise (how many cruisers have mobility devices or large strollers), it can be a crowded area so I would be concerned about whether everyone actually gets access to an outlet overnight each night.

I recommend booking an accessible cabin. It will allow your DH to have independence without needing to rely on you retrieving and storing his "legs" each time he wants to come and go.

if you book a family verandah cabin, then there's a rather decent extra space near the verandah door that you could probably fit the ECV into.
Most ECVs won't fit through the narrow (23") door to the hallway, so it can't even get into the stateroom (unless it's a "travel" model that comes apart) much less get through to the verandah door area.

A normal size ECV won't fit through a non-accessible stateroom cabin doorway. Even if it could it likely would not fit in the space between the end of the bed and the wall. Basically, can't take a normal size ECV into a stateroom. Some specialty ECVs *might* be narrow enough to fit. through the doorway, but will probably also have a problem with the space between the bed and the wall.

OP, as has been noted, there are two options: an accessible stateroom, or using the designated ECV storage areas.

Good luck.

SW

Pardon me for cross posting, as I also posted this in the disabilities forum and I am not sure which will get more of a response.

So, DH would need his ECV (Pride Victory 10.1 for dimensions), but we don't really beed the walk in shower, etc. That an accessible cabin has and would want to leave that available for those who truly need it.

But he would need somewhere to put his ECV and charge nightly. I know you can't (and shouldnt) leave them in the hallway, just wondering if there are accommodations available for this or if we really need to book an accessible cabin. There are multiple accessible cabins available for the cruise we are considering, but it is far enough away I wouldn't want to take it and keep someone else from being able to go just because we only needed it for the extra room to fit a ECV in.
I looked up that ECV and you may want to consider renting a more compact travel-size one—things are really tight in the hallways and elevators. From what I hear, the biggest issue on board is not distance (everything is pretty close by) it is elevators. I’d advise getting a room near the forward or aft elevators as those are used less than midship.

we use an ecv everytime we cruise and just store it overnight on deck 6 or deck 2 depending on the ship. we have had no problems getting down the hallways but i admit i do try and get a room close to the elevator so someone in theparty can bring the scooter up in the mornings. also never had a problem with charging but ususally the scooter lasts a couple of days between charging especially if you turn it off wnen not in use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter