"Disney Decade Dives Forward"

JimB.

DIS Veteran
This was the title of an Orlando Sentinel article from 9/7/1992.

I thought it would be interesting to compare what was planned vs. what happened.

Here is a rundown of the article:

1. Construction of the Boardwalk was on hold (after originally being planned for a summer '92 opening)(& it was originally planned to have a carousel & Ferris Wheel on the Boardwalk).

2. An Andrew Lloyd Webber entertainment show was planned.

3. Boardwalk was also planned to have a 900 seat "Little Mermaid" dinner show.

4. All suite "Mediterrenean" & "Buffalo Junction" hotels for the Boardwalk area were on hold.

5. Work on the 3800 room All Star resort was begun.

6. Wilderness Lodge construction has been moved up from to '94 from the mid-late 90's.

7. Recent DVC start up has done so well that an expansion is planned.

8. MGM Studios expansion is 18 months behind schedule.

9. Tower of Terror development is moving forward with a 1994 opening planned.

10. Plans for a replica of Walt's original Hyperion Studio is now "possible" instead of "probable"

11. The re-development of Tomorrowland is "now under evaluation", after having originally been planned for 1996.

12. Disney has postponed for 2 years the development of a 2 million SF shopping mall.

13. Disney still plans to build "The workplace", a 3.5 million SF center where visitors can see a product being made, & also have single & multifamily housing.

14. Progress is described as "slow" on adding Russian & Swiss pavilions to WS & "Journeys in Space" in FW.

This article also notes that the recent opening of Splash Mountain was "desperately needed", having been the first major attraction at the MK since Thunder Mountain opened in 1980. Analysts state (are you listening, Mr. Iger) that addnig a ride or park is the SUREST WAY TO BOOST ATTENDANCE.

Kind of interesting to look at the future as itr appeared a few years ago.

No real point to be made, just thought it would be appreciated here.

JimB. said:
Analysts state (are you listening, Mr. Iger) that addnig a ride or park is the SUREST WAY TO BOOST ATTENDANCE.

Wonder if that analysis has held up over time...

If memory serves, Disney has more recently indicated that they are less concerned with raw attendance numbers and more concerned with how to capture additional revenue from each and every guest. Case in point: Disney's Magical Express. The theory is that if you remove rental cars from the hands of guests, they will be forced to spend 100% of their vacation dollars at Disney-owned establishments.

All of that said, I think they've done a pretty decent job of developing the parks over the last 2+ years: Philharmagic, Mission: Space, Soarin, Lights-Motors-Action, Crushin' Gusher, Wishes!, Expedition Everest, etc.

Jim Hill Media ran a piece on the whole "Disney Decade" concept a few months back. Interesting reading:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1246

...the original concept for the Board Walk area was much more elaborate -- almost an entire park unto itself. Which would explain all those extra hotels and rides and shows.

Funny how these things turned out.

Yea, the original concept of the boardwalk was almost another theme park! Complete with all the rides that you would find at seashore resorts in the northeast.

Resurrecting this thread -- does anyone see the similarity between the original Boardwalk plans and the Paradise Pier section of California Adventure??? From what I can recall of the sketches I saw of the proposed Boardwalk plans, Paradise Pier looks quite similar...I can't get it out of my mind after actually visiting DCA last month.

Great observation. I understood at the time that there was not enough room to do what they had originally planned, and that they would have had to go half way to MGM to fit all they wanted to do, but I guess the roadway which passes by the Boardwalk in the form of a bridge put a kabosh on that plan,so I guess they sort of resurrected part of the idea on the west coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter